closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Electromagnetic Shielding

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Great thread.
    So who has managed to wee the highest?
    I think you’ve managed that with your intelligent contribution and rapier wit...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Agree, not sure how scientifically validating a ‘natural chemical’ is the same as diluting random substances to the point they are no longer actually present.

There have been some amazing discoveries through experimenting; for example sirolimus, discovered in a soil sample from Easter Island of all places.
    It depends on what you view as homeopathic practices. Some take a narrow view and others a wider one.

The increased interest naturally occurring anti-bacterials for medicinal use appears to have proven rather fruitful.

I think we’re talk in at cross purposes AP. The definition of homeopathy is clear and not open to interpretation (this from the NHS):

‘It's based on a series of ideas developed in the 1790s by a German doctor called Samuel Hahnemann.

A central principle of the "treatment" is that "like cures like" – that a substance that causes certain symptoms can also help to remove those symptoms.

A second central principle is based around a process of dilution and shaking called succussion.

Practitioners believe that the more a substance is diluted in this way, the greater its power to treat symptoms.

Many homeopathic remedies consist of substances that have been diluted many times in water until there's none, or almost none, of the original substance left.’

I totally agree that it perfectly reasonable to investigate natural substances, and if they are proven effective they then become conventional medicine.

Master
    I'm aware of the NHS definition of Homeopathy, thanks.
    As I understand it ,what can be called homeopathic practices do not involve all parts of that definition but some limited elements (such as dilution to the extent in the NHS definition).
    This distinguishes it from what might be called conventional medicine. That is why I did not term it homeopathy per se.

Quote Originally Posted by A.Pottinger View Post
    This distinguishes it from what might be called conventional medicine.
    FTFY
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Great thread.
    So who has managed to wee the highest?
    It's not just the highest that counts.

It's who has diluted the highest wee to the greatest extent, as that ensures the liquid is the most powerful restorative.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    I think we’re talk in at cross purposes AP. The definition of homeopathy is clear and not open to interpretation (this from the NHS):

‘It's based on a series of ideas developed in the 1790s by a German doctor called Samuel Hahnemann.

A central principle of the "treatment" is that "like cures like" – that a substance that causes certain symptoms can also help to remove those symptoms.

A second central principle is based around a process of dilution and shaking called succussion.

Practitioners believe that the more a substance is diluted in this way, the greater its power to treat symptoms.

Many homeopathic remedies consist of substances that have been diluted many times in water until there's none, or almost none, of the original substance left.’

I totally agree that it perfectly reasonable to investigate natural substances, and if they are proven effective they then become conventional medicine.
    It's still a load of old codswallop … and many of the patients prescribed homoeopathic remedies would likely get better without them … and could also likely respond to placebo remedies.

Anyone who has studied basic molecular science knows that there is no such phenomenon as a molecular 'shadow' … which is allegedly the basis of homoeopathic remedies. Imagine a homoeopath prescribing a homoeopathic remedy which after successive dilutions has an alleged potency of 30C … this would require giving two billion doses per second for 4 billion years to deliver a single molecule of the original material to any patient!!

… but if you're a desperate gullible patient you'll believe it will work … and it's placebo effect may convince you it has!

Even more far fetched is veterinary homoeopathy https://www.rvc.ac.uk/research/news/...ceptual-errors … imagine a homoeopathic veterinarian with his bottle of 'shadow' which has been diluted to that same 30C potency … and the vet squeezing a few drops into e.g. a farm animal water trough. Once further diluted in the water trough add several billion more years to the dilution effect … and consider the likely effect on e.g. an unwell cow … a cow totally stressed out after being milked 3 times a day for several years. But maybe the shadow remedy will help her?

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 18th January 2020 at 11:44.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    It's not just the highest that counts.

It's who has diluted the highest wee to the greatest extent, as that ensures the liquid is the most powerful restorative.
    And then you stand under the shower while some braniac tells you it's raining

Experience which convinced me that homoeopathy and homeopathic remedies are of no real benefit:

In 1982 after requesting a referral by my GP to The Royal London Homeopathic Hospital as a 'last ditch' attempt to remedy a chronic health condition which had not responded to allopathic medicine, I eventually consulted a RLHH homoeopath (took 9 months to obtain an appointment … the waiting list for referrals was very long) … and thereafter followed regular RLHH homoeopathic consultations. The RLHH homoeopaths were very thorough and prescribed various homoeopathic remedies (both liquid and pillules) in all manner of potencies. In the course of those consultations family medical history was discussed and it was suggested there could be a bowel cancer risk … so I was prescribed a homoeopathic 'preventative' remedy made from cancerous tissue … diluted to a high homoeopathic potency. Long story short, this was supposed to protect me from cancer … but some years later I was diagnosed with pre-cancerous i.e. 'ripe' bowel polyp - which was painlessly removed during a routine colonoscopy. Had that homoeopathic remedy 'protected' me the bowel polyp may not have progressed to the 'ripe' pre-cancerous stage. My recollection of that particular RLHH consultation is of a conventionally medically qualified doctor but who was very enthusiastic about homoeopathy and its benefits … and who spoke as if he knew what he was talking about and was 'convincing' in his diagnoses and suggested remedies. He and other homoeopaths often consulted there 'little books' … ancient looking homoeopathy books likely published many years ago … and which listed all manner of homoeopathic remedies but which also described 'patient types' … the latter to assist with prescribing the most suitable remedies. I continued attending the RLHH for 10 years … follow-up appointments were offered every 3 to 6 months … and different and repeat remedies in various potencies were offered at each consultation. The result was a whole drawer full of bottles of all those remedies … homoeopaths tend to oversubscribe and the pillule bottles can contain thousands of pillules … they evolved into a large collection before I eventually realised none of them were really relieving my symptoms … but I thought that they eventually might … and I felt better in other respects ref recommended changes in diet and 'allergy shots' … latter being injections to remedy food allergies. I would have continued attending had my GP not called me and lectured me at length on the cost of those consultations to his medical practice … by this time NHS funding rules had changed and the RLHH was charging my local medical practice high £fees. My GP also explained his views on homoeopathy and how scientific / statistical studies had shown that homoeopathic 'remedies' were of no real benefit to patients. I had to agree with my GP that the homoeopathic remedies had not improved my digestive symptoms and thus ceased attending the RLHH. I then took a long hard look at myself and decided to try and improve my lifestyle i.e. take more exercise and quit smoking … at that time (1992) I was smoking 40 and more cigarettes every day. I found a way of quitting tobacco without using nicotine substitutes - I set myself a target date when I'd quit and when that day arrived I'd convinced myself that i would never ever smoke again … I'd made notes as to why I needed to quit e.g. to prevent myself dying in the same way as other family members. Giving up smoking was and still is my finest achievement and because it was a planned 'quit' it was easy and there were no withdrawal symptoms. After quitting smoking my health and digestion improved dramatically … and I realised that smoking had been the cause of my previous chronic health conditions. I also realised that homoeopathy and homoeopathic remedies cannot cure / remedy ill health and disease … and neither can such remedies prevent diseases. I'm still baffled as to why qualified medics choose to study and practice homoeopathy … they've all studied the sciences e.g. physics, chemistry, biology … and must realise that molecular 'shadows' do not and cannot exist … thus homeopathic remedies can only act as placeboes.

dunk

EDIT: After quitting smoking, within 2 years I was able to buy several Rolex watches with the £££ I was not spending on tobacco. In real term present day values I was spending over £7000 per year on cigarettes … all money going up in smoke.
    Last edited by sundial; 20th January 2020 at 10:17.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

The biggest problem with any belief system whether it be religion, homeopathy, flat earth, conspiracies et al is that the proponents and enthusiasts never seem to be able to keep it to themselves, they just have to try to convince and convert others.
    I have a fantastic belief system that keeps me healthy, free from disease, relatively well-off, youthful, sexually proficient and generally contented.

I'll just leave this here...