closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rolex won't service my wife's Lady Datejust

Grand Master
    Up to around 2012 it was standard practice for Rolex ADs to swap dials on certain models where several dial options were offered. Indeed, dials could be swapped retrospectively after purchase if the owner had a change of heart. Dials could be swapped provided the swap was within the current configurations offered, thus keeping the watch to the correct spec. Given that the OP purchased the watch new and had the dial swapped by the selling AD I would expect this criteria to be met, if I was the OP I would be stressing this point with Rolex Service Centre as part of a somewhat robust discussion. If the dial is in poor condition there is a good reason to replace it, but that’s the only reason I would accept.

As I said previously, Rolex need reminding who owns the watch!

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    It’s an old watch. We can’t know the full history of all this. Rolex surely have the right to set conditions, after all, no-one has to accept.
    Personally, I’d just use a good independent and not worry. Some things really don’t matter much.

I'd agree that a good independent is the way to go but I just don't understand why Rolex think replacing a dial is that important while I can completely understand why the customer thinks not changing it is.

I guess you never really own a Rolex and nor will your kids.

There’s none so blind as those who will not see.
    You already have a Rolex watchmaker who worked for several ADs and Haywood Milton who confirmed it was and is regular practice.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    They'd be better of spending some time on fixing the 32XX calibre which is having huge teething problems and endless warranty repairs...
    I'm intrigued as well.

Edit: aha!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=786299

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/r...ssues.5260168/

etc etc

Nice review / overview here:

http://bhi.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/...-the-Month.pdf
    Last edited by Rev-O; 1st May 2021 at 16:49.

When I was living in Hong Kong back in the 90s I went to RSC in Jardine building with friend who had just bought a used stainless steel Datejust from a pawn shop. He had a blue dial with diamond indices that he wanted fitted onto it. Not only did they do it for him they also returned the old dial to him in nice Rolex tin and the watch was put in a service pouch. Also he had the watch serviced by them not long afterwards without any problems.

My point here is that whether or not Rolex officially endorsed the swapping of dials it is evident that in previous years they obviously had no problem with it as long the parts were genuine.

What I've ascertained about Rolex in recent years is that because of their popularity & almost God like following by certain groups of people who think that they can do no wrong, they have garnered an air of arrogance & f#@k you attitude to their client base. As it is I'm not too bothered as I will happily take the watch to one of the excellent independents out there who no doubt would do just as good a job if not better and treat the customer's requirements with a bit more respect.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Its like Mercedes saying they wont honour a warranty because the windscreen has been replaced by an insurance approved company ! Crazy ...

Quote Originally Posted by Tomaitch View Post
    Its like Mercedes saying they wont honour a warranty because the windscreen has been replaced by an insurance approved company ! Crazy ...
    Worse. It's like Mercedes saying they won't honour a warranty because the windscreen that was fitted to the car when you bought it brand new at the Mercedes dealership doesn't match their checklist.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Worse. It's like Mercedes saying they won't honour a warranty because the windscreen that was fitted to the car when you bought it brand new at the Mercedes dealership doesn't match their checklist.
    Kind of the same though. Who really uses an independent garage when a car is under a manufactures warranty for exactly this reason. Not right but it keeps life simple.

I think it’s ridiculous but I see no reason to get negative, vote with your feet and use an independent. Brendan is always my first port of call but I’m sure others mentioned are great as well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zen123 View Post
    When I was living in Hong Kong back in the 90s I went to RSC in Jardine building with friend who had just bought a used stainless steel Datejust from a pawn shop. He had a blue dial with diamond indices that he wanted fitted onto it. Not only did they do it for him they also returned the old dial to him in nice Rolex tin and the watch was put in a service pouch. Also he had the watch serviced by them not long afterwards without any problems.

My point here is that whether or not Rolex officially endorsed the swapping of dials it is evident that in previous years they obviously had no problem with it as long the parts were genuine.

What I've ascertained about Rolex in recent years is that because of their popularity & almost God like following by certain groups of people who think that they can do no wrong, they have garnered an air of arrogance & f#@k you attitude to their client base. As it is I'm not too bothered as I will happily take the watch to one of the excellent independents out there who no doubt would do just as good a job if not better and treat the customer's requirements with a bit more respect.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
    Now that is exactly why I will never buy another new Rolex, likewise f#@k them (with a bass broom)!
    Last edited by KavKav; 2nd May 2021 at 18:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Kind of the same though. Who really uses an independent garage when a car is under a manufactures warranty for exactly this reason. Not right but it keeps life simple.

I think it’s ridiculous but I see no reason to get negative, vote with your feet and use an independent. Brendan is always my first port of call but I’m sure others mentioned are great as well.
    Sorry I don't quite follow, what's kind of the same?

Master
    Sorry I don't quite follow, what's kind of the same?
    No probs. Well, Tombaich used the analogy of a car manufacturer (Mercedes) not servicing a car due to non OEM parts or non AD fitting them. From this it was noted that quite regularly Dealers refuse warranty claims based on this.

The similarity is that, both situations are wrong but customers modify their behaviour accordingly. Such as, not using independent garages during a manufacturers warranty period and not modifying Rolex’s.

Totally appreciate OP has been screwed never the less.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    No probs. Well, Tombaich used the analogy of a car manufacturer (Mercedes) not servicing a car due to non OEM parts or non AD fitting them. From this it was noted that quite regularly Dealers refuse warranty claims based on this.

The similarity is that, both situations are wrong but customers modify their behaviour accordingly. Such as, not using independent garages during a manufacturers warranty period and not modifying Rolex’s.

Totally appreciate OP has been screwed never the less.
    Yes, but my point was that's not what's happened here, so I gave a more accurate analogy. The OP only has manufacturer parts and only has the original config purchased directly from the AD.

Worse. It’s like Mercedes saying they will service your wife’s blue car, but you’ll have to pay for a full re-spray in a different colour because we shouldn’t have sold you it in the original colour.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Worse. It’s like Mercedes saying they will service your wife’s blue car, but you’ll have to pay for a full re-spray in a different colour because we shouldn’t have sold you it in the original colour.
    Exactly this.

To the OP, I'd suggest contacting Rolex in Switzerland if you can be bothered. You could perhaps drop into the communication that you have canvassed opinion on this far and wide and that this appears to represent a new and objectionable 'policy'.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Uhm that's the same, but evidently my analogy is not going down well so I'll move on

Craftsman
    It's almost like buying a watch in good faith then being told you've bought a dud. Shocking

Sent from my VOG-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Simple. Go indépendant. It will be cheaper and I bet you will get a better job. Rolex, like Omega, will pool all the watch parts from your movement, after they have enough collected, into one big wash and your parts can go into any other owner's watch on re=assembly. They don't clean one movement at a time so as to save time and money. An independent watchmaker will treat it individually.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyjohn View Post
    Simple. Go indépendant. It will be cheaper and I bet you will get a better job. Rolex, like Omega, will pool all the watch parts from your movement, after they have enough collected, into one big wash and your parts can go into any other owner's watch on re=assembly. They don't clean one movement at a time so as to save time and money. An independent watchmaker will treat it individually.
    Interesting, didn't realise this.

Got a source on this? Pretty disappointing if it's true IMO.

Are you claiming that Rolex will fit used parts into other watches they have in for servicing? That sounds rather unlikely to me.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Got a source on this? Pretty disappointing if it's true IMO.
    He is talking from down under.

Grand Master
    I’m going to challenge this, because I find it hard to believe; do you know this for certain are are you repeating what you’ve heard?

As you may know, I service/ repair watches so I’ve taken a few apart, I’ve come across parts with light markings/ numbers scribed on them and I assume this has been done by someone servicing the movement previously and I’m guessing it’s to avoid mixing parts up from different movements.

Putting more than one movement into a cleaning machine isn’t the same as mixing parts up from different watches, frankly I don’t believe it happens but if you know better I’ll stand corrected.

Prior to servicing a watch it us good practice to check the end shake on train wheels and generally assess wear, if parts get mixed up this all goes out if the window.

A watch that goes to a Service Centre will have the movement and case worked on by different people, possibly the reassembly will involve another guy. I prefer one person to ‘ own’ the whole job and that’s why I always advocate sending watches to indys.

Master
    Ozzyjohn, suspect that Rolex and Omega would take a poor view of your accusation and are not afraid of taking people to court. I should add that I'm no lawyer so may be completely wrong but that looks like libel to me. Just saying.

Rolex won't service my wife's Lady Datejust

I used to know the head watchmaker in Breitling service centre in Tunbridge Wells (he is now in Switzerland with another brand) and I visited the centre. It was one watch-one watchmaker throughout, until the polishing stage, and certainly no mixing of parts; besides it wouldn’t be efficient, creating more problems than it solved.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Journeyman
    That's not the practice at Zenith either, I'm pleased to say.

Craftsman
    I don't think I can add much to the forum view on Rolex's practice, but I have had a couple of watches serviced by Duncan at Genesis and he did a very good job and was a nice guy to deal with. On the strength of my experience, I'd recommend him.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m waiting to hear the claims of devil worship next!

Master
    I’m just another ordinary owner of a Rolex. I don’t understand the scale of hostility. In truth, many owners of older models must do very well financially. Without the sheer power and stability of the company, that value would probably disappear.
    And there’s a whole network of support companies, which only thrive because Rolex thrives. Their success benefits us all,

Master
    I sold my BB58 so maybe another owner would like to comment but my understanding of the Tudor warranty wording was that warranty would not be honoured if a non-standard strap was on the watch.

I am of course prepared to be flamed here as being a total arse.

Blog Entries
    Some overlook this point, but it's imho the most important, He gave it to his wife all those years ago with that specific dial, it would be another watch with a different dial fitted. So people telling him to overlook this fact and move on are totally missing the point.

Rolex Schmolex.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    I sold my BB58 so maybe another owner would like to comment but my understanding of the Tudor warranty wording was that warranty would not be honoured if a non-standard strap was on the watch.

I am of course prepared to be flamed here as being a total arse.
    I have to confess it was not an issue with mine. Had it on a NATO and they took it in under warranty.

Master
    Total and utter BS, dont believe a word of this, people.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Some overlook this point, but it's imho the most important, He gave it to his wife all those years ago with that specific dial, it would be another watch with a different dial fitted. So people telling him to overlook this fact and move on are totally missing the point.

Rolex Schmolex.
    ^^^ Pretty much this ^^^

Rolex has said, "We don't care about you or your sentimental values. We only care that you pay us ££££s for a new dial."

They know the watch is genuine, they must also know that back in the day it was common practice to swap dials, but they now pretend fake standards. Total BS.

Be a persistent but positive pain to Rolex or get it serviced by a competent watchmaker with Rolex training and or experience - there are plenty about.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    ^^^ Pretty much this ^^^

Rolex has said, "We don't care about you or your sentimental values. We only care that you pay us ££££s for a new dial."

They know the watch is genuine, they must also know that back in the day it was common practice to swap dials, but they now pretend fake standards. Total BS.
    And that's about the truth of it.