closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: It's winter boot time

Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    I am sure I read here that the white sides can be cleaned with baby wipes.

I have used Redwing leather conditioner on my chukkas but the sides need a bit of a clean.
    Will give it a try cheers

Master
    Blog Entries
    Nail varnish remover bings them up a treat, works great with white trainer soles too.

Quote Originally Posted by minkle View Post
    Has anybody had a problem with the 6 inch classic Timberlands squeaking? Both my pairs now around 2.5 years old have started, loudly! Sending one pair off to be looked at but now looking at Panama Jack's.
    95% of the time it is the delamination of the the cement (adhesive) between the midsole and outsole, and the subsequent movement rub causing a squeak.

Try pouring talcum powder into the boots and shaking it around so it works into any gaps. This worked a treat on my squeaking Loakes and they never did it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    95% of the time it is the delamination of the the cement (adhesive) between the midsole and outsole, and the subsequent movement rub causing a squeak.

Master
    Just ordered another pair of Timberland on the Amazon black friday deal. Just over £70 for the Heritage:

As I am surrounded by farmland, winter boots look like this for me. I have given up with timberland boots constantly splitting and leaking - and I tend to wear these in everything from wet grass to a foot deep bog.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehase284 View Post
    As I am surrounded by farmland, winter boots look like this for me. I have given up with timberland boots constantly splitting and leaking - and I tend to wear these in everything from wet grass to a foot deep bog.

Would have thought they would look muddy!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Would have thought they would look muddy!
    Certainly look nowt like my wellies.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Certainly look nowt like my wellies.
    Lol just treated myself to a new set - my old ones started to get a bit sorry for themselves as I'm a bit rubbish as just leaving them caked in mud after an outing.

Clearly these have not seen sent dirt yet, and is likely to be the first and last time they look that way!

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I'm curious if anybody could suggest a source for a boot like this:

Please excuse the picture - it was taken with an Iphone 4s on a very late train from Waterloo a few years ago - the boots were worn an elderly gentleman. I took the photo at the time and remember them looking like an oldish alpine boot in a greenish suede but I may not have been completely sober at the time.

They look like Grenson to me.
    Danner also offer something similar

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    They look like Grenson to me.
    Danner also offer something similar
    Do you have a model number? With the notable aid of another member here the nearest I've been able to get is this (and I think we're pretty sure it's an alpine boot):

https://www.heinrich-dinkelacker.com/rio-plain-w.html

Which is fine apart from the price.
    Last edited by Carlton-Browne; 26th November 2019 at 09:06.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Not sure if it helps, but those are definitely old alpine boots, and the "suede" look of them is most likely to be Perwanger roughout leather, still in use as the best alpine leather around.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Try pouring talcum powder into the boots and shaking it around so it works into any gaps. This worked a treat on my squeaking Loakes and they never did it again.
    Tried that, as Timberland suggested it too. No good.

Timberland waterproof!

Bought a pair of classic 6 inch, first outing in the rain and had wet feet so far from waterproof.

Quote Originally Posted by minkle View Post
    Tried that, as Timberland suggested it too. No good.
    Are you sure it's the boots squeaking and not your feet?
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Elanman View Post
    Bought a pair of classic 6 inch, first outing in the rain and had wet feet so far from waterproof.
    I’ve had (and have) several pairs of Timberlands over the years. I’ve certainly noticed they have been producing a lot of cheaper versions of their classics that you normally find in the big designer outlets with inflated pre discount RRP’s.
    My rule of thumb is if they are heavy and have real leather lining than they are decent. If they are lightweight with the orange coloured fabric lining than they are not.

Some good inspiration in this thread. I’ve always worn a simple pair of Timberlands in winter, but looks like I need to up my game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    I’ve had (and have) several pairs of Timberlands over the years. I’ve certainly noticed they have been producing a lot of cheaper versions of their classics that you normally find in the big designer outlets with inflated pre discount RRP’s.
    My rule of thumb is if they are heavy and have real leather lining than they are decent. If they are lightweight with the orange coloured fabric lining than they are not.
    The timberlands I’ve had issues with have all been the premium ones with leather linings as they’re the only ones I’ve bought they just don’t make em like they used to in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    The timberlands I’ve had issues with have all been the premium ones with leather linings as they’re the only ones I’ve bought they just don’t make em like they used to in my experience.
    This ^^^^ for years I only had Timberland boots, deck or boat shoes, they've gone properly down the pan in the last few years, luckily I still have a pair of unworn Timberland premium boots from 2010 compared to the offerings now they are worlds apart.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    This ^^^^ for years I only had Timberland boots, deck or boat shoes, they've gone properly down the pan in the last few years, luckily I still have a pair of unworn Timberland premium boots from 2010 compared to the offerings now they are worlds apart.
    Lucky barsteward lol , although I’ve been very pleased with my shift to panama jack. A good friend laments very similar about the decline of hunter wellies I’m sure an awful lot of brands are effectively trading on past reputations.

I’ve known about Timberland when they were a small local company in New Hampshire in the mid 70s. At the time they were absolutely superb; they had a trapper boot that combined a mid calf laced leather boot with a layer of rubber covering the foot. The whole thing was lined with sheepskin and I have never had a better pair of winter shoes. I believe LL Bean has something similar.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Yep mine were premium and bought direct from timberland, asked customer services when returning them if they did a waterproof boot but didn't receive an answer!

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Not sure if it helps, but those are definitely old alpine boots, and the "suede" look of them is most likely to be Perwanger roughout leather, still in use as the best alpine leather around.
    Dave
    Thanks for the input. If nothing else it gives me another search term I can torture myself with for a couple of weeks .

I'm curious if anybody could suggest a source for a boot like this:

Please excuse the picture - it was taken with an Iphone 4s on a very late train from Waterloo a few years ago - the boots were worn an elderly gentleman. I took the photo at the time and remember them looking like an oldish alpine boot in a greenish suede but I may not have been completely sober at the time.
    Vintage Redwing?

https://etsy.me/2rqYRJo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Vintage Redwing?

https://etsy.me/2rqYRJo
    Bloody hell, I think that’s exactly what they are; all I need to do now is find a NOS pair.

Bloody hell, I think that’s exactly what they are; all I need to do now is find a NOS pair.
    They do indeed look the same,

Sorry, I don't.
    It is very distinctive, the way that the laced up cheeks (no idea what the proper term is) meet in the centre under the laces.
    This could not happen with those Redwings, as the whole tongue section is exposed, and not underneath.
    Otherwise I agree it is very close
    D

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Sorry, I don't.
    It is very distinctive, the way that the laced up cheeks (no idea what the proper term is) meet in the centre under the laces.
    This could not happen with those Redwings, as the whole tongue section is exposed, and not underneath.
    Otherwise I agree it is very close
    D
    I think lines of enquiry should be "Vendramini" and Ebay in Italy, France, Germany rather than Redwing. The boots in C-B's post take their design cues from that very distinctive Italian style of Alpine/mountaineering/hiking/walking boots. Vendramini's thing seems to have been motor cycle boots, but looking on Ebay they appear to have been a maker of hiking boots in the past and specifically in suede/roughout.

I'm pretty convinced that the boots in C-B's post are vintage and if not of then of contemporary Italian origin.

Enjoy the hunt C-B!

Yes. The bloke wearing them was at least 70 and I doubt if he purchased them recently (and the picture's a few year's old).

Strange. I've had mine for ten years and they're still waterproof. I got soaked a couple of weeks ago, really soaked! Everything I was wearing was wet except for my socks!

Quote Originally Posted by Elanman View Post

Strange. I've had mine for ten years and they're still waterproof. I got soaked a couple of weeks ago, really soaked! Everything I was wearing was wet except for my socks!
    Yes because ten years ago they were better boots.

Worn with overtrousers and walking through wet grass, this is a real test for any boot as water is always running over them, ive had a number of Clarks gortex which haven't lasted a year without leaking but they have been replaced as faulty (sent back to Clarks for testing) so I thought it was time to try something else,

Journeyman
    Not much of an winter where I live so I spend most of it in air max or all stars but a boot in backup is a must. Panama shown to be better than Timberland in my book but I love these, last decent pair I bought, and yes, they are red.

Craftsman
    Treated myself

Blew the dust off my Berghaus Explorer boots for a lovely walk along Bracklesham Bay this morning.
    Felt more like a spring morning than 1st December.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkJS View Post
    Treated myself

Lovely

Master
    ^^^^
    Have to agree they do look good.

Master
    Went to Liverpool Albert docks this evening with the kids car was showing 0deg but with the wind I think it was colder my feet where toasty warm with these on

Panama Jack Men's Glasgow Igloo Classic Boots, Brown (Cuero C4), 9 UK https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074N8YJ..._7Mb5DbX3CKE1A

Given I was really just standing round watching the kids on various fair rides very impressed just wearing normal socks

Craftsman
    Treated myself to my first ever pair of Panama Jacks and I’m delighted. My question now is what should I treat them with?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just bought another pair from Chatham Marine, my last pair have worn out after 5 yeas of daily autumn/ winter abuse and anything lasting me this long is usually unheard off. Check out their sale as big savings on some boots but limited sizes

Master
    Went to Liverpool Albert docks this evening with the kids car was showing 0deg but with the wind I think it was colder my feet where toasty warm with these on

Panama Jack Men's Glasgow Igloo Classic Boots, Brown (Cuero C4), 9 UK https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074N8YJ..._7Mb5DbX3CKE1A

Given I was really just standing round watching the kids on various fair rides very impressed just wearing normal socks
    I have two pairs, black and brown- excellent boot and very warm.

Also have a pair of PJ aviators for rougher walking.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraz01 View Post
    Treated myself to my first ever pair of Panama Jacks and I’m delighted. My question now is what should I treat them with?

I use Saphir Cream or wax polish on my “going out” PJ igloos and Red Wing mink oil (or any waxy boot treatment ) on my PJ Aviators.
    Last edited by craig1912; 31st December 2019 at 15:51.

Craftsman
    Check the guy out. He is a leather worker who cuts popular boots in half to see the materials and build methods.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCId...9BOn6fLKIt1Y0A

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    I use Saphir Cream or wax polish on my “going out” PJ igloos and Red Wing mink oil (or any waxy boot treatment ) on my PJ Aviators.
    Thanks for the recommendation I didn’t realise it was such a mine field until I started reading up on it. Mink oil, boot oil, dubbin, cream, clear wax etc, the options almost outweigh the boot choices!!

Master
    Be careful as you can ruin shoes if you don’t use the right stuff. If you have any kind of formal shoes that require a shine mink oil etc needs to be avoided, great on red wings etc though. Saphir is great and although an expensive option would probably work on most leathers is imagine?

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Be careful as you can ruin shoes if you don’t use the right stuff. If you have any kind of formal shoes that require a shine mink oil etc needs to be avoided, great on red wings etc though. Saphir is great and although an expensive option would probably work on most leathers is imagine?

I always use Saphir Renovateur (containing mink oil, I believe) all my leather shoes / boots when I first get them and have never had a problem getting a shine. Saying that, I don’t know the concentration of mink oil in Renovateur.

Saphir does great shoe polish, as does Cheaney. Crockett and Jones branded polish is also decent, and actually quite cheap.

Master
    Bought the boots, left waiting on the weather. Still rolled up shirt sleeves and tennis shoes.

Craftsman
    If you want good protection without the shine, I recommend Dr Martens wonder balsam or Chambers Leather Balsam (same stuff but much cheaper).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    I always use Saphir Renovateur (containing mink oil, I believe) all my leather shoes / boots when I first get them and have never had a problem getting a shine. Saying that, I don’t know the concentration of mink oil in Renovateur.

Saphir does great shoe polish, as does Cheaney. Crockett and Jones branded polish is also decent, and actually quite cheap.
    I use saphir on all my brogues followed by polish and it seems to work a treat. As you said it’s probably the concentration that differs.

I use red wing mink oil on my iron rangers and it’s very different, much oilier.

Cheers Rodder, that’s interesting to know.