closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Speedmaster bracelet issues

Craftsman

Speedmaster bracelet issues

I bought a 2016 Speedmaster Pro from a fellow TZer a few months back.
    Being the one watch I had always aimed to own, it was a bit of an anticlimactic outcome due to the fit of the bracelet and I don't love wearing it on a leather or nato strap.
    What are my options in terms of making it fit properly? Is it possible to get half links? Is there a slide adjust clasp that fits the bracelet?
    Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Get a half link from the 1610/930 bracelet as fitted to the 2254 and 2255. This uses the same links as the Speedmaster 1998 bracelet but has in addition an available half link. About £20 from a Omega boutique, considerably more from Cousins, eBay etc

edit: on second glance, that looks like the screw link bracelet you have so maybe my suggestion won’t work.
    Last edited by Padders; 29th December 2017 at 20:59.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I bought a 2016 Speedmaster Pro from a fellow TZer a few months back.
    Being the one watch I had always aimed to own, it was a bit of an anticlimactic outcome due to the fit of the bracelet and I don't love wearing it on a leather or nato strap.
    What are my options in terms of making it fit properly? Is it possible to get half links? Is there a slide adjust clasp that fits the bracelet?
    Thanks

Between the links and the clasp adjustment it should be possible to get a decent fit on all but the smallest wrist. It will vary obviously on hot/cold days as with all steel bands.

If you really are in favour of buying then I think the adjustable clasp from a Planet Ocean can fit - sure someone on here did that at one point?

Blog Entries
    I have the adjustable clasp on my speedmaster and what a difference it makes to the comfort. Perfect fit !

Journeyman
    If you have the current bracelet (which uses screws to join the links, rather than pins and collars) then you can order these parts to fit a micro-adjustable clasp:

End links 118ST1589 x 2
    Clasp 117STZ001154

I bought these from the Omega Boutique on Regent St and I love them, they made a huge difference to the comfort of the bracelet fit for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^^^As I understand it, having investigated this in the past, Joe.d is absolutely correct.

You used to be able to buy a half-link for the older model bracelet (with pins), but that's not possible with the newer screw bracelet.

It's a shame, because the newer Speedmaster bracelet having no half-links and only two micro-adjust positions in the clasp can make it hard to get a precise fit, and offers less 'on the fly' adjustability too.

Gagasbones velcro
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    Great, thank you for the info. Yes it does have the screw links.
    Do I need to go into the boutique to order them or is it possible for them to be delivered?

Master
    it was a bit of an anticlimactic outcome due to the fit of the bracelet and I don't love wearing it on a leather or nato strap.
    out of interest Taylor what size wrist are you trying to size for?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuna1138 View Post
    out of interest Taylor what size wrist are you trying to size for?
    My wrist is a slight smidge over 7 inches.

Journeyman
    Great, thank you for the info. Yes it does have the screw links.
    Do I need to go into the boutique to order them or is it possible for them to be delivered?

My contact at the Omega Boutique on Regent St told me that I would be able to order the parts at any authorised dealer, but I opted to stick with the Boutique as I had a kind of relationship with them. They weren’t willing to post the parts so I had to visit the store to buy them in person (I made the order in advance by email and then paid on collection)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Any AD can order the parts for you, though very few will post them to you in my experience unless you know them very well.

If you MUST have them posted they are usually available on eBay though you'll probably pay a premium
    Last edited by Scepticalist; 30th December 2017 at 09:20.

Craftsman
    Perfect, I will try my local AD this morning.

Craftsman
    All ordered. Fingers crossed!

How much were the individual parts? I have an adjustable clasp, so guessing I would just need the endlinks to adapt my Speedy?
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    How much were the individual parts? I have an adjustable clasp, so guessing I would just need the endlinks to adapt my Speedy?
    End links are about £30 each Scott

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Can't remember what the individual costs were but the total was £164.
    I'm sure this is the point where I get told that I got screwed over...... but I think it's quite a reasonable price to pay to be able to actually wear my speedy rather than stare at it in the draw.

Master
    I haven't personally checked this, although I have both the newer, screw type bracelet and the older style, but never had any need to try this out. However, I have been told that the older style links can still be used in the newer bracelet, as the hole through the mid section is the same in both version. In other words, the floating pin in the newer style is thicker than the older pin, but is the same diameter as the older collar, thus the older type links can be slotted into the newer bracelet. If that is true, then the 2254.50 half link will still work. I'm loath to dismantle two bracelets just to check it out, but maybe someone has already proved or disproved it. If it can be done then the older style half link could be fitted beside the clasp and not look out of place.

Master
    I'm sure this is the point where I get told that I got screwed over......

Not really, i was quoted around £135 but that was from an AD i know quite well, £75 for the adjustable clasp and £30 per end link

Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    End links are about £30 each Scott

Cheers

I'm sure this is the point where I get told that I got screwed over...... but I think it's quite a reasonable price to pay to be able to actually wear my speedy rather than stare at it in the draw.

Doesn’t sound too bad. I’ll need to see how much bigger than the Speedmaster the clasp is though, as it’s a fair bit bigger than the SMP300m I have one of the adjustables on.

Journeyman
    Price from the Regent St Boutique was £80.70 for the clasp and £38.67 for each end link, ie £158.04 total. I was originally quoted less than that, but then I waited 18 months to place the order and the prices had gone up in the meantime.

Craftsman
    Just researching a bit more on this..... a few people have said that extra pins and screws are required.
    Anyone know if this is the case? Will I be able to use the pins and screws from the links I have taken off?

Journeyman
    Just researching a bit more on this..... a few people have said that extra pins and screws are required.
    Anyone know if this is the case? Will I be able to use the pins and screws from the links I have taken off?

When I placed the order for the clasp and end links I also asked for ‘whatever screws and pins are necessary to fit the parts to my Speedmaster bracelet.’ The guy who I’d been communicating with at the Boutique told me ‘we can sell you these parts but we won’t fit them to your Speedmaster because those parts aren’t intended for the Speedmaster, and so head office has told us we aren’t allowed to fit them because we can’t guarantee the fit.’ When I picked up the clasp and end links, they also gave me 3-4 packets of screws and pins of varying sizes - my assumption was that they weren’t 100% sure which screws I would need because it was an ‘unofficial’ combination of bracelet and clasp. But they did give me everything I needed - I fitted the links and clasp myself at home using some of the screws and pins they supplied, and I had some left over which weren’t needed.

Really glad I found this thread, I’ve had a Speedie for a couple of years but have never managed to make the bracelet fit, so I had to abandon the bracelet for most of this time and use other straps. Just emailed the Regent St boutique to see if they can sell me the clasp and other parts. Fingers crossed they can help me out. Thanks guys!

Craftsman
    Just picked these up.
    I hope you guys are right. I'm told once they have been removed from the bags they can not be returned.
    Will try and fit myself tonight. If I can't do it the shop has said they will do I can pop in tomorrow and they will do it. I did have trouble resizing the bracelet as they use lock tight.
    Wish me luck

Last edited by Taylor; 6th January 2018 at 15:30.

Why not just leave it to the shop if you have any doubts. I’m happy to do my own bracelets, even with my tremor, but I take my time and make sure I have the right parts and tools.

Craftsman
    Just to finish off the thread thought I'd update the result........perfect!
    It took roughly 20 minutes and was a lot easier than I expected.
    Thank you all for your advice

Excellent, thanks for the update.

I must get around to doing the same on my own Moonwatch some day - makes it into one of those watches that's hard to take off, and just further adds to the Speedmaster perfection.

If you didn't use loctite or similar when installing the new half-links, maybe just keep a periodic eye on the screws in case they work loose over time. It's pretty unlikely to happen really, but it's not unknown.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    If you didn't use loctite or similar when installing the new half-links, maybe just keep a periodic eye on the screws in case they work loose over time. It's pretty unlikely to happen really, but it's not unknown.
    Thanks, Will definitely bear this in mind.

Master
    This is definitely something I'd be interested in for my PO. Does anyone know if the clasp is available in Titanium?
    3 years of ownership and I've had to make do with either slightly too tight or too loose.

Grand Master
    Can’t understand why folks don’t use loctite on bracelet screws. Omega use it for a reason.

It’s v easy to soften the loctite by holding the bracelet/screw in a gas flame for a couple of seconds then getting a snug-fitting screwdriver straight onto the screw, getting the bracelet apart shouldn’t be a problem.

Just to finish off the thread thought I'd update the result........perfect!
    It took roughly 20 minutes and was a lot easier than I expected.
    Thank you all for your advice

Looks awesome thanks for sharing. May need to do the same for mine, snug fit during winter, will almost certainly be too tight in the summer.

On a separate but related note - out of interest, does anyone know how much an new Moonwatch bracelet would set me back?