closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mechanical / analogue tide watches

Mechanical / analogue tide watches

I'm assuming tide times was a complication that featured a lot in the 70s, but my hunt for a non digital tide watch is coming up short. there's a Timex and a Nixon, but otherwise it's all Casio digis and RipCurls and things. Would love to find something without a batter that did the job, old or new, if anyone has any pointers or suggestions please?

There's the Eberhard & Co Mareoscope. Not very common but I do remember one being for sale here a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    There's the Eberhard & Co Mareoscope. Not very common but I do remember one being for sale here a while back.

Yes I remember that and also one with a cream dial which passed through SC a couple of times.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Some years ago there was a Sinn 142 Tides
    with the Lemania 5100:

Then the 142 St II GZ Chromo with a tide bezel.

Now there's the Sinn 240-ST-GZ https://www.ablogtowatch.com/sinn-240-st-gz-watch/

Master
    I've been hankering after one myself and have been keeping my eyes open. Mr Curta has the only Mareoscope on the forum that I am aware of. They don't come up very often but two have come up on Catawiki in recent months. The last one went for about £1,500 IIRC. There is currently one on Catawiki at the moment, the auction ends in six days. The watch fund is empty so I won't be going for it.

Those Sinns look really good too.

The problem with mechanical tide watches is that they are only going to be accurate for one tide after being manually set to the previous high tide, whereas digital tide watches can be programmed to offer much more accuracy for subsequent tides.

AFAIK there's never been a mechanical movement that can produce the (average) semi-diurnal tide difference of +12 hrs 25 minutes - but happy to be enlightened to the contrary.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    The problem with mechanical tide watches is that they are only going to be accurate for one tide after being manually set to the previous high tide, whereas digital tide watches can be programmed to offer much more accuracy for subsequent tides.

AFAIK there's never been a mechanical movement that can produce the (average) semi-diurnal tide difference of +12 hrs 25 minutes - but happy to be enlightened to the contrary.

R
    The Lemania 5190 in the mareoscope does +12 hrs 24 mins between high tides. It just has to be set up for local tides on arrival at a new location.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    The Lemania 5190 in the mareoscope does +12 hrs 24 mins between high tides. It just has to be set up for local tides on arrival at a new location.
    Thanks, off to read up more on this one. Presumably, it's only semidiurnal tides?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Thanks, off to read up more on this one. Presumably, it's only semidiurnal tides?

R
    Yes - in a diurnal area it will show a low tide as a high tide, assuming that it has been set to a high tide. You would probably be aware of this and make the correction mentally.

It also has a moon phase indication.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US5327400

Abstract

The present invention has for its object a watch movement more particularly a wrist watch, a chronograph watch or a pocket watch which comprises a time display formed by a dial and hands and which comprises a tide indicator constituted by a tides disk 16 which is to be seen through a window of the dial 5 and which makes one turn in twenty-four hours. This disk is driven in rotation through the hand display. A moon phases hand 15 is also driven by the hand display, at the speed of one turn in 29.5 days and cooperates simultaneously with the tides disk 16 and with the signs 20 to 23 representing the phases of the moon disposed on the dial 5 around the tides disk 16.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Yes - in a diurnal area it will show a low tide as a high tide, assuming that it has been set to a high tide. You would probably be aware of this and make the correction mentally.

It also has a moon phase indication.

That's a cracking watch, as has been said my understanding is that you set it to your "home port",
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Been out in the rain on the water all day, so this is a marvelous set of replies to come back to. This place is such a gold mine of knowledge, thank you chaps. Going to hit the research over a beer before the match!

Patent from Walter Hanes (of Abercrombie and Fitch) from way back in the late forties - mid fifties. This is for the seafarer watches. If budget allows these are the origin of the species.

Last edited by HookedSeven; 11th July 2021 at 17:00.

Turns out there's a few more too, although in most cases deep pockets required... https://www.ablogtowatch.com/tag/tide-chart/