closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Black Bay versus Black Bay 58

Black Bay versus Black Bay 58

I've had 3 Black Bay divers in the past - an older ETA model, a modern version and a GMT but ended up moving them on, mainly to justify other purchases! I've recently been on the look out for a skin diver style watch...something versatile I could swap between a bracelet, rubber and leather strap, was very close to buying a Longines Skin Diver but got put off by the huge lugs and rather underwhelming dial. So I'm back looking at Tudor Black Bays!

I've been looking at the BB58 as it seems a bit more suited to the multiple straps. I briefly handled one in store - the only one they had was on a NATO. Just wondering...anyone had both the 41mm full size and the BB58...did you end up having preference for one or the other? I'm really torn between trying the 58 and going back to the GMT!

I have both the original ETA BBN and the BB58.

I tend to wear my ETA Pelagos more than the BBN, as I think it carries the size better.

As well as the bracelet, I have also worn the BBN with a vintage leather JPM, Brady sailcloth and Hirsch Pure rubber. To me it worked better on the straps when I used a pair of smarty end links to hide the gap.

Since I have had the BB58, I have worn it far more than the other two. Generally on the bracelet, but I do think it works well with a wide range of straps. I also think that it sits better on a Nato or Erica than a 14060M.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I've had 3 Black Bay divers in the past - an older ETA model, a modern version and a GMT but ended up moving them on, mainly to justify other purchases! I've recently been on the look out for a skin diver style watch...something versatile I could swap between a bracelet, rubber and leather strap, was very close to buying a Longines Skin Diver but got put off by the huge lugs and rather underwhelming dial. So I'm back looking at Tudor Black Bays!

I've been looking at the BB58 as it seems a bit more suited to the multiple straps. I briefly handled one in store - the only one they had was on a NATO. Just wondering...anyone had both the 41mm full size and the BB58...did you end up having preference for one or the other? I'm really torn between trying the 58 and going back to the GMT!
    I like both and wear both. Only distinction I’d make is the bb58 wears better than full size on an erikas. On bracelet both work for me.

Master
    Tricky one. I have the GMT and blue 58. I have a 7 inch oval shaped wrist so both fit me well and I really enjoy both. The 58 melts aways and you often forget it’s there but the GMT is that bit heavier. I love both and they offer very different looks and functions. It’s hard to compare. I often think which would I sell but I can never decide. An entirely unhelpful post…. Sorry!

As with all things the answer is to try both on at the same time and see which one grabs you more. I don’t think you could go wrong with either.

Thanks for the input all.

It's a really tricky decision. I guess I really need to try on the BB58 on the bracelet to help me decide.

I'd go for the 58 if you have the wrists for it. The regular Black Bay (and BB GMT) is just too much of a slab. I've had two and will probably buy (and sell) a third at some point. Shame as it's a great watch otherwise.

I really did think this was going to be a Saints thread as I clicked on it was was bracing for drama!

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I'd go for the 58 if you have the wrists for it. The regular Black Bay (and BB GMT) is just too much of a slab. I've had two and will probably buy (and sell) a third at some point. Shame as it's a great watch otherwise.

I really did think this was going to be a Saints thread as I clicked on it was was bracing for drama!
    Thanks...yes, think I'm leaning towards the 58. I really like a GMT complication but one of the reasons I let it go was because it was slightly thick.

No, Saint's thread got me thinking about my own quandry so I decided to ask...promise it's my only post on the matter!

I have had a BB GMT which I found too large and thick and was put off by the width of the bracelet and clasp. The BB58 on the other hand is an absolute dream. The case is perfect, the 20mm bracelet that tapers to the buckle is amazing. Really can’t fault the BB58.

Craftsman
    BB58 over Black Bay every day. It's just such a comfortable watch to wear once you get the bracelet right. Even though I've sold my blue 58 on here recently, I know i'll get another soon enough!

Having worn both, I'd say the 58 is better on the bracelet...the original BB is a bit too much of a lump on the metal. But put the original on the OEM fabric strap and it wears great. Also managed to get the original leather strap from a BB red and fitted it to a BB black. The leather is thin and extremely comfortable, the deployant clasp is brilliant and in tune with the styling of the watch, so that's where the watch has ended up.

The 58 is probably wearable on a greater variety of straps (not just the bracelet but also looks good and not too high on the wrist on Nato and Erica's straps), if that's an important factor. And the BB58 blue is just a great colour.

So I love both of the watches. Sorry if that doesn't help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A little picture from watchgecko to show the profile of the 58 vs the 41 in house...

I tried (but didn't own), the bb41, the bb41 inhouse, the BB gmt, and more recently the BB chrono reverse panda, the pelagos as well, and I've been owning the 58 black for almost 2 months now, wearing it pretty much everyday.

I can wear a 41/gmt, but I went for the 58 for a few reasons:
    - Weight
    - Thickness
    - Proportions of the case

These 3 elements made me feel like in comparison, the 41/gmt are slightly unrefined. Heavy, (very) slab sided, and certain proportions of the case which just do not feel right visually to me (ex: the height of the lug above the lug holes, which at an angle, on a strap, looks absolutely massive)

I would love to wear a 41 ETA red, I would love to wear a gmt, it's just not as comfortable to wear throughout the day, looks a bit like a can of tuna, and I know I would flip these anytime if Tudor was to release the same in a 58 case.

For comparison, the pelagos, and even more so the BB chrono reverse panda didn't feel as unrefined, as the former is feeling like a professionnal instrument, and the latter...well, is a chrono.
    I understand why they're thick.

But after trying the chrono, I had a look again at the gmt. It's pretty much the same thickness. For an automatic chrono and a gmt. Is it not a bit absurd????

If you like the black bay because you especially like the vintage 4/5 digit aesthetic and proportions, I think the 58 is a must.
    If you have some serious wrists and would feel like a 39mm is a children's watch, then you will probably not be bothered by the weight and slab sides of the 41/gmt.

But if you sold your gmt before because of these reasons, I don't think it will be any different this time.

To me the 58's ratio between the lug to lug, the thickness, the lug width, diameter...is pretty much spot on, perfectly proportionate, if felt right straight away as soon as I opened the box.
    I litteraly couldn't think of a change I would want to see in the case.

Regarding the colours, if you're not seduced that much by the black/gilt or the blue, I am sure at some point others will be released (although might need to be patient...)

Now, this is just a watch, and my 20p on it, it doesn't mean you would feel exactly the same about it.

But to put it clearly, the 58 is not perfect, it's not the best watch ever created...but that's a honest, very satisfying and very well balanced bloody good watch!

If I may and if you can, I encourage you to go to an AD and to try at the same time a bb41/gmt, and a 58 (the blue one seems to be fairly often available in the windows these days). I think there is enough of a difference between these two types of cases for you to see straight away what is right for you, and what you want down the line!
    Hope that's helpful.

Cheers
    Wandril

I have the original eta version with black bezel and honestly never felt it was chunky or slab sided - until I got a slightly smaller case in my collection in the CWC diver. Now when I put the black bay on I definitely notice the heft, still not enough to ruin it for me, but it has sown seeds of doubt. I do find I wear it more without the bracelet now, which trims it down a lot.

Have never really considered swapping for a 58 tho as the current colours just don’t do it for me (the 41 has all of the gilt I can handle, and blue watches just aren’t my thing). But if they were to release a nice 58 sized coke GMT, I think the 41 would be in serious trouble

That's really helpful - thank you very much.

I've got pretty small wrists - somewhere between 6.25" and 6.5" but I don't mind a slightly larger watch and 42mm is my maximum which puts both sizes in the frame but after reading the above I am thinking I need to try a BB58 and will see if I can visit an AD to compare the range side-by-side.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by enndriz View Post
    I have the original eta version with black bezel and honestly never felt it was chunky or slab sided - until I got a slightly smaller case in my collection in the CWC diver. Now when I put the black bay on I definitely notice the heft, still not enough to ruin it for me, but it has sown seeds of doubt. I do find I wear it more without the bracelet now, which trims it down a lot.

Have never really considered swapping for a 58 tho as the current colours just don’t do it for me (the 41 has all of the gilt I can handle, and blue watches just aren’t my thing). But if they were to release a nice 58 sized coke GMT, I think the 41 would be in serious trouble
    Totally agree - I wish they would make a BB58 GMT...I would sign up immediately!

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    That's really helpful - thank you very much.

I've got pretty small wrists - somewhere between 6.25" and 6.5" but I don't mind a slightly larger watch and 42mm is my maximum which puts both sizes in the frame but after reading the above I am thinking I need to try a BB58 and will see if I can visit an AD to compare the range side-by-side.

- - - Updated - - -

Totally agree - I wish they would make a BB58 GMT...I would sign up immediately!
    So would I! A coke or a gmt would definitely go well with my collection!

Tried all of them (41, GMT & 58) and leaned towards the 58.

The 58 is one of those watches that you kind of forget to have on your wrist (overall size and weight of the thing) but looks and feels amazing. Very versatile with different straps and bracelet options:

Craftsman
    I’ve got a Chrono and relatively small wrists and I really don’t notice the weight. Recently switched to rubber curved end strap as, mentioned earlier in the thread, there is an unattractive gap when on a regular strap.

Cheers
    Rory

Sorry but I feel that I must interject here. I have the superb, original BBN ETA and have never considered it overly large and I’m not a big bloke. I will never therefore understand why grown men on here go on about 41mm being “too big for my petite, little wrist so I simply must buy a BB58 as it’s oh so much more comfy than the giant 41mm”. God help half of you lot if a nasty looking Brietling should ever come along!

Master
    I have the Tt chorno and a blue BB 58 out of the two I have worn the chorno most of all. Once you wear it you don’t notice anything different after a little while.

Black Bay versus Black Bay 58

I really like the BBN ETA because it's so slabby. I guess it didn't have to be this size in order to house the movement but it's a design which is distinctive and clearly appeals. With the right strap on it doesn't feel massive at all. Completely agree with the above post (#17 above).

Quote Originally Posted by WHL1882 View Post
    Sorry but I feel that I must interject here. I have the superb, original BBN ETA and have never considered it overly large and I’m not a big bloke. I will never therefore understand why grown men on here go on about 41mm being “too big for my petite, little wrist so I simply must buy a BB58 as it’s oh so much more comfy than the giant 41mm”. God help half of you lot if a nasty looking Brietling should ever come along!
    Watches and watch sizes (and cars, books, architecture - pretty much everything) are subjective - not everyone likes the same thing.

I don't have a " petite, little wrist", I have an average 7.25" wrist and own one 41mm watch and several 42mm watches. I can wear a BB41 - I just don't want to. I tried on the original ETA BB 41 when it came out and didn't like it - unnecessarily thick and clunky for me. Never bothered trying on the newer and thicker version.

I bought the BB58 because it fits and wears better - it is almost the exact same size as my old 94010 Tudor Sub. I find the 58 practically perfect, enough so that I am getting the blue one as well.

Craftsman
    I think I'm in the minority here when I say that I find the BB58 too small. I've got slightly larger than average sized wrists & it just looks tiny. Nicely proportioned, and I really like it in pictures, but in the metal it just doesn't work on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
    Watches and watch sizes (and cars, books, architecture - pretty much everything) are subjective - not everyone likes the same thing.

I don't have a " petite, little wrist", I have an average 7.25" wrist and own one 41mm watch and several 42mm watches. I can wear a BB41 - I just don't want to. I tried on the original ETA BB 41 when it came out and didn't like it - unnecessarily thick and clunky for me. Never bothered trying on the newer and thicker version.

I bought the BB58 because it fits and wears better - it is almost the exact same size as my old 94010 Tudor Sub. I find the 58 practically perfect, enough so that I am getting the blue one as well.

I understand your points (smashing Tudor sub by-the-way 👍) but It does irritate me when people describe the 41mm version like it’s something from a different universe compared to the 38mm, taking the opportunity for a quick dig in the process. Nothing against the BB58 of course.

I owned a BB41 blue for a good six or so years, a great watch and very versatile. I don’t have particularly big wrists but I didn’t ever find the ‘41 overly large. A couple of months ago I purchased a BB58 black and it’s rarely worn anything else. For me it’s the perfect size, the ‘41 is an excellent watch and for anybody who fancies something with a bit more wrist presence it’s a fantastic piece, but as I said the ‘58 for me hits the sweet spot.

Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    I have had a BB GMT which I found too large and thick and was put off by the width of the bracelet and clasp. The BB58 on the other hand is an absolute dream.
    Spot on, same here. Also in my experience I couldn't get the bracelet to fit my wrist properly, it would be either too loose or too tight.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Ive had two black bay 41mm and like a lot of people i just couldn’t get the bracelet to fit
    Is the fit on the 58 any better

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This picture Wandril put up highlights the case height beautifully.

Here are a couple of wrist shots.

Since I received mine 2 weeks+ ago I haven't had it off my wrist. I keep thinking about getting a black one too but then don't think it would get any wrist time over the blue. It really is that good.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Never quite understood these size debates ... one is bigger than the other and more likely to please people with big wrists or who like to wear large watches they other is the opposite ... otherwise they are very similar take your pick.