closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary picked up today!

Craftsman

Arse

Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    We all have opinions and that's all they are at this stage. My crystal ball packed up a few weeks ago so I'm going on gut feeling here. 6969 is obviously a high number. The 60th Anniversary Speedmaster does not compare to the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11 in my opinion. A lot is being made of the quantity. I do recall a certain Bond watch coming out in 7007 pieces a few years ago. They all eventually sold and are now selling for a large premium. Time will tell
    Probably helps the Spectre seamaster that Daniel Craig's Arse is not on the dial!

For every 7007 Bond watch there is a 007 Commander seamaster still sitting in a AD's sale shelf.

Craftsman

future

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    I heard directly from a senior person from Omega that they can only make 2000 321 movements a year and that the first releases will be in precious metal cases.

I think it may be a little while yet (a year or two?) before we see this new 321 in a steel case so I wouldn’t hold your breath!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agree that it will probably be 12/24 months before a 321 hits the market and i do not think anyone is expecting a release very soon but what a release when it does arrive. If Rolex can charge £10k for the steel daytona, with both Audemars and Patek charging £20k for their steel sports, i think Omega have a little wiggle room price wise for what the market would accept for a true legendary movement and watch.

If there is money to be made, Omega never shy away from that.
    Last edited by Flasher; 6th July 2019 at 00:59. Reason: error

I heard directly from a senior person from Omega that they can only make 2000 321 movements a year and that the first releases will be in precious metal cases.

I think it may be a little while yet (a year or two?) before we see this new 321 in a steel case so I wouldn’t hold your breath!

They discussed this at length on the Omega forums a while back. The consensus was it would definitely be platinum. I can't see them releasing this in a stainless steel version anytime soon.

So if we we’re taking bets, what will be the asking price of the first one on SC?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman

Confused how did they manage 6969 movements then ?

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scooby View Post
    Confused how did they manage 6969 movements then ?

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    This has the 3861 movement - not the 321

Master
    Think I preferred the 2007 50th Ann in 1/1957 pieces.
    Bracelet/Leather c/w deployent with a tray of tools, springbars, loupe.
    Co-axial movement
    Manual wind
    Sapphire caseback
    Enamelled dial
    Hand made wooden presentation box.

57 each of red, white and yellow gold versions too.
    Last edited by 33JS; 6th July 2019 at 11:25.

Master
    I agree there’s no flies on Omega when it comes to (yet) another LE, but you can’t really argue that the ‘regular’ Moonwatch with Three straps and 5 years warranty isn’t good value. Especially if you can haggle.

Master
    I agree there’s no flies on Omega when it comes to (yet) another LE, but you can’t really argue that the ‘regular’ Moonwatch with Three straps and 5 years warranty isn’t good value. Especially if you can haggle.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OHG1X View Post

You can say that again...!

Master
    Is there an Echo in here ?

Master
    Is there an Echo in here ?

😂

Master
    Once these arrive in volume, I can see them settling around the £7K mark so no real loss but no champagne, coke and hookers for the carpet bagger element who have moved into this in spades thinking it is the next Snoopy either. I don't include the OP in this unkind description as he seems much more sincere than the blow ins bored of Cryptocurreny and Daytona speculation.
    Last edited by Padders; 6th July 2019 at 22:05.

We all have opinions and that's all they are at this stage. My crystal ball packed up a few weeks ago so I'm going on gut feeling here. 6969 is obviously a high number. The 60th Anniversary Speedmaster does not compare to the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11 in my opinion. A lot is being made of the quantity. I do recall a certain Bond watch coming out in 7007 pieces a few years ago. They all eventually sold and are now selling for a large premium. Time will tell
    I thought all, or at least most, Bond offerings were 10007

The 60th’s will be very collectible, it will just take time. But remember they also had a lot of trilogy additions to increase the overall numbers.

This 50th is bigger and the packaging and caseback (Snoopy anyone) are great too.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I thought all, or at least most, Bond offerings were 10007

The 60th’s will be very collectible, it will just take time. But remember they also had a lot of trilogy additions to increase the overall numbers.

This 50th is bigger and the packaging and caseback (Snoopy anyone) are great too.
    No the Seamaster 300 Spectre was 'only' 7007

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

Nice watch but pretty expensive imho.
    I think I’d also Factor in the toughening financial climate to any purchase, especially if I was buying it because I thought it was likely to appreciate.

Blog Entries
    It will sell out so Omega won't be bothered. Think the subdial with Neil Armstrong looks stupid. The case back is cool which is all it needed tbh.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MFB Scotland; 7th July 2019 at 02:52.

No the Seamaster 300 Spectre was 'only' 7007

Same as the Commander

Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    It will sell out so Omega won't be bothered. Think the subdial with Neil Armstrong looks stupid. The case back is cool which is all it needed tbh.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Both pics are of Aldrin, Armstrong took the photo of Aldrin stepping out of Eagle and Aldrin took the photo of his own footprint.
    Aldrin didn’t take any photos of His Commander, the only still of Armstrong is his reflection in Aldrins visor.

Back to the Speedy, I just can’t make my mind up. I like but just can’t see myself wearing it. It is imho the best looking LE in a long while however.
    Last edited by bigvic; 7th July 2019 at 09:36.

There’s one on eBay already....
    Offered at £8750.

Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    Both pics are of Aldrin, Armstrong took the photo of Aldrin stepping out of Eagle and Aldrin took the photo of his own footprint.
    Aldrin didn’t take any photos of His Commander, the only still of Armstrong is his reflection in Aldrins visor.

Back to the Speedy, I just can’t make my mind up. I like but just can’t see myself wearing it. It is imho the best looking LE in a long while however.
    so... the foot print is Aldrin’s, to Armstrong’s words? Seems a little off to me.

Journeyman
    Looks amazing in my opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    so... the foot print is Aldrin’s, to Armstrong’s words? Seems a little off to me.
    Indeed. Especially when what he actually said was "That's one small step for man, ......oh damn I had one shot at it and I've c*cked it up already"

Just awesome!

Looks nice and I hope you're happy with it (that's all that should count anyway).

As to speculators buying up LE's that's always been a thing hasn't it?

What's the price of the ultraman Vs retail these days?

I do find the box sizes are getting a bit much however......

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    The Ultraman looks to be doing quite well. Got close to RRP once the frenzy cooled, definately upped a bit since.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Indeed. Especially when what he actually said was "That's one small step for man, ......oh damn I had one shot at it and I've c*cked it up already"
    Apparently the quote on the back is correct and you can hear Armstrong say the ‘a’ on the original recording but it isn’t very clear and was misreported/misquoted.

Master
    Apparently the quote on the back is correct and you can hear Armstrong say the ‘a’ on the original recording but it isn’t very clear and was misreported/misquoted.

Apparently the revised revised view is that he didn't say it - https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Neil_Armstrong

Totally disagree with that. There has been an awful lot of debate on this subject ever since 1969, and even Armstrong admitted he'd fluffed it. I have listened to his 'speech' so many times I've lost count. The biggest confirmation (for me) is the spacing, pronunciation, and intonation of what he says.

Of course, every man and his dog has tried to prove the 'a' existed because that's what the world wants. The perfect moment.

Doesn't matter to me that he made a tiny mistake, diminishes nothing from what he, Aldrin and, let's not forget, Collins, achieved. But it really gets me when historical fact is altered.
    Last edited by Mouse; 8th July 2019 at 20:55.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Totally disagree with that. There has been an awful lot of debate on this subject ever since 1969, and even Armstrong admitted he'd fluffed it. I have listened to his 'speech' so many times I've lost count. The biggest confirmation (for me) is the spacing, pronunciation, and intonation of what he says.

Of course, every man and his dog has tried to prove the 'a' existed because that's what the world wants. The perfect moment.

Doesn't matter to me that he made a tiny mistake, diminishes nothing from what he, Aldrin and, let's not forget, Collins, achieved. But it really gets me when historical fact is altered.
    Agreed. I'm sure I saw an interview where he admitted fluffing it!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure I'd trust the human memory in a situation like that. One thing I'm pretty sure of is that he wasn't aware of 'fluffing it' at the time, as that would have involved him thinking about having fluffed it while still speaking and that would have slowed him or caused him to stumble further as there's only so much language a brain can process at one time. Personally I'll take the asyndeton as it sounds better.

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    I'm not sure I'd trust the human memory in a situation like that. One thing I'm pretty sure of is that he wasn't aware of 'fluffing it' at the time, as that would have involved him thinking about having fluffed it while still speaking and that would have slowed him or caused him to stumble further as there's only so much language a brain can process at one time. Personally I'll take the asyndeton as it sounds better.
    It did slow him, there’s quite a gap between ‘man’ and ‘one giant leap’.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    It did slow him, there’s quite a gap between ‘man’ and ‘one giant leap’.
    Which, inadvertently, demonstrates my claim about the reliability of memory! You are quite right.

Craftsman
    OP, that a stunning watch you have there. Best LE Omega release that I can remember - certainly this and the all gold version are the only ones that have floated my boat.

I enquired in my local Goldsmiths on Sunday and was told by the manager that all stores have been instructed not to accept any further orders for the grey version as their allocation is used up - he said that they have been inundated. Whether this is just Goldsmiths or whole Aurum/Mappin & Webb chain, I don't know, nor whether there is to be a further allocation at some future point.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Queen View Post
    OP, that a stunning watch you have there. Best LE Omega release that I can remember - certainly this and the all gold version are the only ones that have floated my boat.

I enquired in my local Goldsmiths on Sunday and was told by the manager that all stores have been instructed not to accept any further orders for the grey version as their allocation is used up - he said that they have been inundated. Whether this is just Goldsmiths or whole Aurum/Mappin & Webb chain, I don't know, nor whether there is to be a further allocation at some future point.
    I would persevere with other AD's and OB's if you really want one. A lot of people will probably skip their allocation on the list and as there are quite a few still to be released you'll probably manage to get one if you're prepared to put some effort in.

Master
    That’s gorgeous Andy, nicest speedy special edition I’ve seen

Journeyman
    Well based on the cracking bbc documentary last night and pretty much every tv channel doing the same through July I think demand is going to be incredible. For people like me who are too young to be there watching at the time my understanding and respect for what was achieved is now off the scale. Omega really do have the best marketing campaign, all run for them by terrestrial tv.

I have a deposit down for one of these but I am thinking of not taking it up.

If so, I will let a member close by have it for retail. I am not looking to make anything.

So I went along to the private screening of Apollo 11 as a guest of Omega today (superb film and worth a watch). The screening was preceeded by a conversation with Jim Ragan (the chap at NASA in charge of testing the watches for space flight). A very interesting fellow with lots of stories to tell.

One that was quite interesting was about the initial testing phase. Rolex, Longines, Hamilton and Omega all submitted watches for testing. The toughest test to pass was the 'thermal' test where the watches were subjected to temperatures of 250 degrees + and - faranheight. Naturally this test was conducted first. The Hamilton had already been disregarded as they has submitted a pocket clock

The Rolex and Longines failed the test immediately leaving Jim with all his eggs in one basket and relying on the Omega to pass all remaining tests which of course it did. The rest is history.......

That was a great perk as well as a lovely watch.

Does make you wonder if NASA issued the test parameters prior to submission if the competition failed the first test and if so why they were submitted?

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post

Does make you wonder if NASA issued the test parameters prior to submission if the competition failed the first test and if so why they were submitted?
    Someone asked this question. Jim didn't really answer with any enthusiasm. I got the feeling NASA asked for the watches with a vague description of what they will be required for and then came up with some tests. Thinking it through this makes sense as i'm sure the watches for the astronauts were not in the top 1000 things to do for NASA at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post

http://www.twentytwoten.com/1574/nas...ter-moonwatch/