closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Titanium Square G Shock - Anyone buying?

Master

Titanium Square G Shock - Anyone buying?

Talk on another thread is about the GA-2100. Here is the must have Square that’s just landed at g-shock.co.uk. Anyone buying? Think it’s a little out of my price range for a G Shock at £1400, would be nice though.

https://g-shock.co.uk/gmw-b5000tb-1er

Craftsman
    The whole appeal of a g shock is i can batter it without remorse.

This, not so much.

Craftsman
    Overpriced IMHO..a big fan of the square g shock, but this is just too expensive... I suspect the original weights about the same or less

Was looking forward to it but the price is nuts.

Titanium Square G Shock - Anyone buying?

Dw5600e, job done. This is what happens to a metal g shock after a year of teenage wear. This cost me £399, why would I pay £1000 more and treat it like this? (Which is surely the point of a G shock?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And as for the clasp!

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Dw5600e, job done. This is what happens to a metal g shock after a year of teenage wear. This cost me £399, why would I pay £1000 more and free at it like this? (Which is surely the point of a G shock?)
    Titanium is a wonderful material, but I agree, it doesn't really work on a watch of this nature when at this price point. Titanium watches do not have to be expensive as evidenced by the cheap e.g. Seiko quartz out there, so Casio are aiming this intentionally above all the other non-precious metal variants.

Bet it feels great on wrist though!

It's interesting that it is available for purchase. The advance hype was that these were going to be like hens teeth, but maybe the price is quelling the rush just as it did on the aged IP version that was limited to 300 watches in the U.K. but at £900 these can still be bought.

It is a stunning watch and like the Porter before it probably aimed at the serious collector rather than someone who wants a casual beater.

There's a lesson for Rolex here, put a stupid price on it and all of a sudden demand is no longer a issue 😂

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Dw5600e, job done. This is what happens to a metal g shock after a year of teenage wear. This cost me £399, why would I pay £1000 more and treat it like this? (Which is surely the point of a G shock?)

Some here would describe that as only worn on nights out

Blog Entries
    I bet you the new expensive model holds up better, ion plating vs Casio’s DLC treatment is not a fair comparison. I once owned a quite expensive MRG with DLC coating, it could take a lot of abuse, and not a mark on it.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    Well .. people sometimes cite Submariners and similar steel Rolex models as being go anywhere, do anything, don't baby it watches in the same sense as a G Shock. Would a Sub wear the same sort of punishment much better than a metal G? Maybe a bit. But they're a lot more expensive as well.

I'm a G-Shock fan and really like the titanium camo version but wouldn't pay the asking price for it. They deserve to sell hardly any of these because of the ridiculous RRP but I have a feeling they'll do alright with collectors.

https://g-shock.co.uk/gmw-b5000tcm-1er

Seems way over priced!

The camo must be printing on the Titanium? If that’s the case I can’t see it bearing scars well at all

It's laser etched then covered with some sort of dlc coating. It also has sapphire crystal, so the whole package is pretty bomb-proof.

I bought the stainless steel GMWB5000 with the rubber strap from Amsterdam airport for just about under £300 a year or so ago - absolutely loved it since. I quite like the look of this one too - but I don't think it's a 1.5k watch..

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    It's laser etched then covered with some sort of dlc coating. It also has sapphire crystal, so the whole package is pretty bomb-proof.
    Sounds pretty cool, still think my son could introduce a bit of ‘wabi sabi’ given a few months ‘light’ university studying/falling out of pubs/falling out of clubs! No way worth £1500 imho

Blog Entries
    1500,- for a bog standard TAG quartz with cheap eta movement is ok. This marvel of Japanese engineering is not? C’mon guys.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Apprentice
    I really liked the full metal black version, but thought it was too expensive at £500. At about three times the price this is daft!

Blog Entries
    No it isn’t, it’s all in your head.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyA View Post
    I really liked the full metal black version, but thought it was too expensive at £500. At about three times the price this is daft!
    The Porter DLC was £1,100 list - so this isn't that extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    The Porter DLC was £1,100 list - so this isn't that extreme.
    Agreed, it isn't extreme but it is pricey for most. The only other G shocks which are proper Titanium are the MR-Gs and they're even more expensive. From that point of view this is about right. It is a niche product, not for all at all. The standard all metal B5000 is the one for the majority of consumers.

It's too similar to the 35th anniversary , and that one's 1/10th of the price.

I'll be up for the first one, used, on the SC. I like the strath nature, and the titanium, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyfire View Post
    It's too similar to the 35th anniversary , and that one's 1/10th of the price.

IMO the 35th anniversary display is horrendous.

Quote Originally Posted by studly View Post
    IMO the 35th anniversary display is horrendous.
    Actually, most of the time it looks like this

Last edited by Skyfire; 23rd November 2019 at 11:39.

Actually, most of the time it looks like this

i watched random robs video on youtube and it seems to mostly look like a terrible display. I see where you are coming from with the similarities to the titanium, but the display is not to my tastes.

Craftsman
    I really like the look of this one, but the price is a bit steep.

What are the all-metal bracelets like on these models? Do they feel cheap and flimsy?

Quote Originally Posted by Willows View Post
    I really like the look of this one, but the price is a bit steep.

What are the all-metal bracelets like on these models? Do they feel cheap and flimsy?
    They are really good quality, but I should note they are not suitable for small wrists. The end link hangs over and makes the effective lug to lug size much bigger. I find the resin straps more comfortable.

They are really good quality, but I should note they are not suitable for small wrists. The end link hangs over and makes the effective lug to lug size much bigger. I find the resin straps more comfortable.
    Yeah I tried one on and came to the exact same conclusion despite really wanting one. I wonder if the small plastic/resin inserts on the inside of the bracelet at the watch head could be removed to allow the bracelet to hang down rather than out?

The bracelets are comfortable. The full metal Gs have a nice heft to them.

Looking at pics more, I'm really like these Ti Gs. The camo in particular looks hot!

Yeah, camo version looks fantastic.

How difficult is it to swap it the bracelet and bezel without adversely impacting water resistance etc?

There’s a few aged bracelet sellers on eBay that is tempting me to take a negative display model and put an aged bracelet on but I’m wondering if my limited skills will be able to do it 😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    How difficult is it to swap it the bracelet and bezel without adversely impacting water resistance etc?

There’s a few aged bracelet sellers on eBay that is tempting me to take a negative display model and put an aged bracelet on but I’m wondering if my limited skills will be able to do it 
    As long as the bracelet and bezel is compatible, it is fairly easy. There are end pins inside tubes, which is a two screwdriver job, but easy enough. The module is sealed, so no risk to that at all. I bought a positive display GMW-B5000 on a resin strap and swopped it over to the Porter DLC bracelet and bezel, fairly easy.

Just be careful where you buy from, a lot of the stuff on e-bay is aftermarket or even fake (embossed G-Shock). My parts were bought from authorised Casio spares distributors.

As long as the bracelet and bezel is compatible, it is fairly easy. There are end pins inside tubes, which is a two screwdriver job, but easy enough. The module is sealed, so no risk to that at all. I bought a positive display GMW-B5000 on a resin strap and swopped it over to the Porter DLC bracelet and bezel, fairly easy.

Just be careful where you buy from, a lot of the stuff on e-bay is aftermarket or even fake (embossed G-Shock). My parts were bought from authorised Casio spares distributors.
    Good to know, thanks 👍🏻

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    1500,- for a bog standard TAG quartz with cheap eta movement is ok. This marvel of Japanese engineering is not? C’mon guys.
    What does the movement have over and about a £50 solar 6 band, or the £300 metal G's?
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    What does the movement have over and about a £50 solar 6 band, or the £300 metal G's?
    I think it's the same module as the £300 full metal GMW-B5000's - you are paying for the bezel, the strap and the exclusivity.

So I could pick up a cheaper module (solar and multi band) together with the aged bracelet and create my own full metal G?

i really like the full metal but find the silver too blingy and prefer the negative display. are all the square modules interchangeable then?

So I could pick up a cheaper module (solar and multi band) together with the aged bracelet and create my own full metal G?

i really like the full metal but find the silver too blingy and prefer the negative display. are all the square modules interchangeable then?
    I think you can buy spares for virtually any G- Shock made, just a case of making sure the spares are compatible with the model / module that you intend to convert.

Also depends what you want from the module, basic, Tough Solar, atomically connected or the new Bluetooth modules.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 25th November 2019 at 22:18.

I think you can buy spares for virtually any G- Shock made, just a case of making sure the spares are compatible with the model / module that you intend to convert.

Also depends what you want from the module, basic, Tough Solar, atomically connected or the new Bluetooth modules.
    What I really want is something like the negative display, tough solar metal g but in aged case (the silver is too blingy for me) without spending £900 on the IP version or the camo version. I like the idea and Am not completely averse to spending but none of the official Casio versions quite do what I want.

What I really want is something like the negative display, tough solar metal g but in aged case (the silver is too blingy for me) without spending £900 on the IP version or the camo version. I like the idea and Am not completely averse to spending but none of the official Casio versions quite do what I want.
    The negative display on the aged IP is rather badly readable, and has slight bleeding on the edges. Especially the bleeding was bothering me in a €1000 watch. I much prefer a positive display.
    Last edited by Skyfire; 25th November 2019 at 22:33.

The negative display on the aged IP is rather badly readable, and has slight bleeding on the edges. Especially the bleeding was bothering me in a €1000 watch. I much prefer a positive display.

Thanks for the feedback, question though, are the square units interchangeable? They look to be the same size but is there a fundamental difference? ie are the GMW units interchangeable with the DW units? They appear to be the same but...

Thanks for the feedback, question though, are the square units interchangeable? They look to be the same size but is there a fundamental difference? ie are the GMW units interchangeable with the DW units? They appear to be the same but...
    They are not interchangeable. Also, the bezels and bracelets for the GMW5k models are not compatible with the 5600 cases.
    You can buy aftermarket metal bezels and bracelets for the 5600 units on ebay for about £100 but they are unofficial Chinesium mod parts, and will reduce the shock resistance of the watch. They look cool but you don't really know what they're made from. Could be spent uranium, who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    They are not interchangeable. Also, the bezels and bracelets for the GMW5k models are not compatible with the 5600 cases.
    You can buy aftermarket metal bezels and bracelets for the 5600 units on ebay for about £100 but they are unofficial Chinesium mod parts, and will reduce the shock resistance of the watch. They look cool but you don't really know what they're made from. Could be spent uranium, who knows?
    Thanks for the info, looks like I’ll have to pick up a GMW unit with the aged bracelet to get what I want.

If anyone's selling a titanium G-Shock like these, I've just put a WTB out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    If anyone's selling a titanium G-Shock like these, I've just put a WTB out there!
    Get back in line, sir

Yikes.

Well, they're showing in stock at https://g-shock.co.uk/new and I got as far as putting one of each in my basket. I then noticed the running total of £2880 and had to have a quick sit down. I'm hoping there's a less painful way of doing this!

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Yikes.

Well, they're showing in stock at https://g-shock.co.uk/new and I got as far as putting one of each in my basket. I then noticed the running total of £2880 and had to have a quick sit down. I'm hoping there's a less painful way of doing this!

Apply your 10% discount code for new accounts?

Personally, I don’t see the point of a titanium watch that’s coated black, for me the beauty of titanium is the grey colour. I’d rather see it bead blasted with a brushed bezel. Of the two, the camo one works best. I’m happy with my aged version from SC!