closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 'Shark' series on the BBC

'Shark' series on the BBC

I'm watching these on iPlayer, just finished episode 1. WOW! What absolutely wonderful imagery - as well as really interesting facts about sharks I just did not know (the variety of the species is incredible). It really beggars belief. Sometimes I think the BBC wastes money, but I am usually extremely impressed by their nature programmes (another recently was about the sea people of Indonesia). Second to none. Amazing diligence and professionalism. Worth the license fee alone.

Catch it if you can, you won't regret it.

P.S. I'd still think twice before diving with any Great Whites around mind you!
    Last edited by jukeboxs; 28th May 2015 at 23:35.

Agreed. Seen them all now, and totally blown away, as well as better informed.

As the old cliché has it, that's worth the licence fee on its own

Master
    Blog Entries
    Missed it but I'll certainly search IPlayer, thanks.

The BBC have always produced top drawer nature documentaries in my opinion. The series Planet Earth being the best of the bunch.

Agree. Great programme which blows many myths about sharks and blows minds with the images. This is auntie Beeb at her best

Master
    It's the human "sharks" we need to watch out for. We are far more prone to attacks by them.
    Mike

I've been captivated by the programme, some incredible camera work.

One dreadful stat mentioned on the programme though was that 100m sharks are killed by humans every year and many species are on the verge of extinction from human slaughter.

Master
    Cinematography of the natural world at its very best, I particularly enjoyed the diary featurette at the end of each episode about the making of.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    It's brilliant.

As an aside-the Greenland Shark might just possibly be the most miserable creature on the planet.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    It's brilliant.

As an aside-the Greenland Shark might just possibly be the most miserable creature on the planet.
    +1 on that, poor thing.

Quote Originally Posted by dizz View Post
    +1 on that, poor thing.
    Just imagine being the copepod...

Thoroughly fascinating series with an unusual 2 + 1 format for the episodes.

Here are links to:

Can anyone explain to me the process by which the BBC NHU commissions shows like this, please? Do they have their own producer who goes out (possibly through a tendering process) and hires individuals/companies to do the filming? Does a company come to the BBC and sell them the idea? I'd like to understand more than the credits tell me...one Producer/Director and two BBC Commissioning Editors, along with photographers, researchers, editors, coordinators etc.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Ive been watching this and really enjoying it.
    Straight back to the days of being glued to Attenborough.

Watched all 3 episodes, fantastic program, I was also shocked by the number of sharks killed each year, shocking number.

Fantastic series. Once went snorkeling on holiday and was chatting to a guy from South Africa who was a professional diver. He told me that most shark attacks happen when humans wee in the water. Part of his training was never do it. (And before the jokers start, that is weeing whilst in the water, not from the side of a boat)

Master
    Amazing programme, one of my bucket list to dive with a great white

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Fantastic series. Once went snorkeling on holiday and was chatting to a guy from South Africa who was a professional diver. He told me that most shark attacks happen when humans wee in the water. Part of his training was never do it. (And before the jokers start, that is weeing whilst in the water, not from the side of a boat)
    I think that is more likely a ‘cause and effect’ scenario...

I cannot say I’ve ever noticed any change in a sharks behaviour when I’ve been around them and pee’d, but then sharks that eat marine mammals will probably be more ‘interested’ in marine mammal urine than sharks that eat fish (vast majority). It’s much the same for blood too, sharks that eat fish do not respond as much to mammal blood as fish blood.

What I have seen though is a distinct change in a sharks behaviour when a nearby human has vomited into the water.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Seen the first two - brilliant
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Another series starts tonight: Japan - Earth's Enchanted Islands.

Something has happened with cameras / VCR recording over the last several years. First they went digital and the equipment got a lot, lot better. There's something about today's 'film'...the resolution is quite extraordinary, even as seen on my non-HD TV set.

Thoroughly enjoyed it!

I was enlightened into the world of sharks after my recent trip to the Maldives where I was able to observe them in their natural habitat. One side of the island was a shark nursery where you could see baby sharks and stingrays swimming, their adorable at that size : ) Cant say I swam with any great whites though.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Another series starts tonight: Japan - Earth's Enchanted Islands.
    Anyone else find the woman narrator's voice on this totally soporific? I fell asleep numerous times during this...

M.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    What I have seen though is a distinct change in a sharks behaviour when a nearby human has vomited into the water.
    Visions of Ralph on the party boat, taking photos! Here you are showing us underwater photography when your true trade is paparazzi to the Kardashians et al.

I found the test with the underwater speakers, to see whether White Tips were lured to fishing boats by the sound of them taking the engines out of gear fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Anyone else find the woman narrator's voice on this totally soporific? I fell asleep numerous times during this...

M.
    Yes...and faintly patronising, too. I don't know if it's one company or an artefact of the BBC's NHU, but I've noticed this annoying script delivery on other, visually spectacular, series. They've even managed to get David Attenborough to do it...so I think it must be something to do with the production / editing team.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Yes...and faintly patronising, too. I don't know if it's one company or an artefact of the BBC's NHU, but I've noticed this annoying script delivery on other, visually spectacular, series. They've even managed to get David Attenborough to do it...so I think it must be something to do with the production / editing team.
    Yes. Glad it wasn't just me.