closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sea Dweller 126600

Master

Sea Dweller 126600

I am a daily sub wearer. The opportunity has come to purchase the Sea Dweller. It is a watch I have been after for a long time. It was probably 2 years ago I last tried it on!
    Any owners on here and how is it to wear day to day? I have average wrist size and the sub fits great. Is the SD too chunky on the wrist? I recently sold a Tudor Black Bay as I felt it was too slabby and weighty (or maybe I was just not patient enough to adjust to it). Of course, the real answer is for me to go and try it, but before I manage to do that thought it may be interesting to hear some views on here.

(If only the call came in December to save the RRP increase, but oh well!)

I used to wear one every day on a 7.25 wristband my view was it was the perfect sports watch. Definitely bigger and more heft than the 40mm subs etc but I liked it a lot. If you can get one at rrp then why not? It’s £9.3k isn’t it? In which case buy it and wear it well and you’ll get your money back i’m sure.
    Last edited by tz-uk73; 16th February 2020 at 17:27.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    I am a daily sub wearer. The opportunity has come to purchase the Sea Dweller. It is a watch I have been after for a long time. It was probably 2 years ago I last tried it on!
    Any owners on here and how is it to wear day to day? I have average wrist size and the sub fits great. Is the SD too chunky on the wrist? I recently sold a Tudor Black Bay as I felt it was too slabby and weighty (or maybe I was just not patient enough to adjust to it). Of course, the real answer is for me to go and try it, but before I manage to do that thought it may be interesting to hear some views on here.

(If only the call came in December to save the RRP increase, but oh well!)
    My opinion is in this thread and some of the replies seem to echo my thoughts...also if you are thinking of buying it and then selling on at a profit this model has softened in price and can be picked up just above RRP.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...rchase-of-2019

The last 10 or so on eBay that actually sold in the UK were all above £10k. They ranged between £10k and £11.5k and since the rrp is now £600 higher, you’re in a safe space at rrp imo.

You'll always get differing opinions. You need to try it on. I definitely find it bigger than the SubC or the GMTs, but much more comfortable than the Black Bay (a much bigger beast imho). I don't think you'd lose if you moved it on having bought at current RRP.

Master
    Thanks for the thoughts so far. I am not intending to buy it to sell on so whether it sits at RRP, above RRP or below is not a big part of the purchase decision. Of course tastes do change and should I decide in the future it is not working for me then we shall see what the market is doing at the time (if the doom mongers are to be believed it will be worth about £10!)...

I am planning to try it middle of the coming week. Tzuk The fact that you have worn it daily and found it manageable is comforting given we have the same wrist size. What made you move it on?

I often get stage fright in an AD and just buy the watch without thinking. Also I guess until you have worn a watch for a few hours or days it is often hard to know what it is like to live with so the above experiences are very useful.

I have also just flicked through the disappointing purchases thread. Perhaps you did not get on with it due to your slightly smaller wrist size? I take your point on it being dull. But I am a dull guy so that is fine. The splash of red is actually pretty daring for me!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Master
    I tried it on recently and I think it sits perfectly, a lot more presence (In A good way!) than a subC for sure. I would try it with the bracelet adjusted to your wrist though to be 100% sure.

Share a wrist shot of the Sub. The SD43 is bigger, but it is very well balanced. I would take it over a SubC Date any day but I don't know if I'd take one over a SubC no date. I have a SubC no date and wouldove to add the SD43.

It’s definitely not dull, it’s quite showy... large, shiny, and noticeable.

I’ve had two now and plan to buy another.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    I tried it on recently and I think it sits perfectly, a lot more presence (In A good way!) than a subC for sure. I would try it with the bracelet adjusted to your wrist though to be 100% sure.
    Haha. When the adjustment is done there is no turning back!
    Last edited by Boss13; 1st March 2020 at 19:36.

Sea Dweller 126600

I have a 17cm wrist and had the SD43 for about 3 months- in the beginning I thought it was awesome and I could pull it off despite my (6.75 inch) wrist.... But in the back of my mind I always had a little voice wondering if it’s too big.... that voice was suppressed for a while but eventually it will start calling louder and louder if you had the concerns to begin with. I got rid of my SD43 at no loss and back to SubC, GMT and DaytonaC for me and I am so much happier.

So only buy it if you do not have the voice of doubt, otherwise you may just end up selling it again...
    Last edited by rsteenekamp; 16th February 2020 at 19:55.

Apologies for the hijack, but I opened the thread hoping it referred to the SD4K but with the reference quoted you’re referring to the SD43

That notwithstanding, can anyone provide a view on how the SD4K wears please? It’s the only model in the Rolex range of the last few years that I really wanted but wasn’t in a position to get at the time. These days it’s near on impossible to see one in the metal.

How does the SD4K wear? I currently have a 16700 GMT Master so I know how classic Rolex tend to wear. I regularly wear my Tudor Pelagos and Heritage Chrono so I’m used to a tall (although 42mm) watch. A good friend has the Deep Sea and 42mm Explorer II and I’ve worn them enough to get a feel for them.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare View Post
    Apologies for the hijack, but I opened the thread hoping it referred to the SD4K but with the reference quoted you’re referring to the SD43

That notwithstanding, can anyone provide a view on how the SD4K wears please? It’s the only model in the Rolex range of the last few years that I really wanted but wasn’t in a position to get at the time. These days it’s near on impossible to see one in the metal.

How does the SD4K wear? I currently have a 16700 GMT Master so I know how classic Rolex tend to wear. I regularly wear my Tudor Pelagos and Heritage Chrono so I’m used to a tall (although 42mm) watch. A good friend has the Deep Sea and 42mm Explorer II and I’ve worn them enough to get a feel for them.

It wears superbly. In my opinion it and it's immediate predecessor are the best two watches rolex have ever made. While the proportions of the original sd are sublime, the Sd40k is a leap upwards in quality and retains the essential size and proportion.
    There are those who become a little anxious about bracelet fit at the lugs of the sd40k ie not as flush as on a submariner, ... but you have to take into account that it is a far better bracelet than on the older sd and the fit is seen on other rolex models too. It had to be that way to keep the original case aesthetics on the newer watch.

It's my absolute favourite watch.

Master

That’s my absolute favourite Rolex too and really want one but the prices on them are very firm :(

Recently tried the sd43 and was surprised I liked it so much size wise.Have a 6.75 inch wrist.They also had a deepsea 44mm and it's a lot smaller in comparison - the DS is ridiculous.Owning the ceramic date sub I find it different enough to purchase.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    It and the pepsi GMT are the best steel sports Rolex going by quite some margin IMO.
    Incredibly well made, bracelet being that bit wider and along with the micro adjustment makes it very comfortable to wear (was my daily for a while), dial with the splash of red I think is perfect and picks up the history of Rolex, bezel rotates precisely, insert a great modern update that virtually everyone is following with, incredible time keeping, updated case that is less square. Can’t really think of what more you could want.
    You will not be surprised, given the above views, that mine will be staying and will not get sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    It wears superbly. In my opinion it and it's immediate predecessor are the best two watches rolex have ever made. While the proportions of the original sd are sublime, the Sd40k is a leap upwards in quality and retains the essential size and proportion.
    There are those who become a little anxious about bracelet fit at the lugs of the sd40k ie not as flush as on a submariner, ... but you have to take into account that it is a far better bracelet than on the older sd and the fit is seen on other rolex models too. It had to be that way to keep the original case aesthetics on the newer watch.

It's my absolute favourite watch.
    I agree. Classic case proportions/lugs plus ceramic bezel and the improved bracelet are the big appeals for me.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

SD43

Due to smallish tapered lugs the SD 43 wears great even on a small wrist. I thought that it would feel too big , but far from it. I’ve got it on a Rubber B and love it.

Master

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Oranges10 View Post
    Due to smallish tapered lugs the SD 43 wears great even on a small wrist. I thought that it would feel too big , but far from it. I’ve got it on a Rubber B and love it.
    Looks great on the Rubber B.
    Interesting point about the lugs being smaller and tapered. Perhaps that minimises the maxi-case look of the sub?

Craftsman

Looks nice on a rubber b. Might just take a look at the rubber b online catalogue.

Looks great on the Rubber B. I think if I got one I'd put it on the same and it would be different enough to keep my SubC no date. Great proportions but of course if you're a 5 digit person your opinion will be the opposite.

Master
    Just a comparative size shot: L:R 16660, 116600, 126600 & 126660.
    Last edited by 33JS; 17th February 2020 at 19:59.

Craftsman
    Sd50 has been my daily for a few years now ... it’s a great watch 8)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    Great shot. Must say the 116600 looks great when they are all sitting together.

Craftsman
    Love mine, for all the reasons already mentioned.
    I remember before Basel 2017 a lot of people were calling for a 42mm Submariner, we got the 43mm Sea-Dweller instead

Great collection.

Master
    Great shot. Must say the 116600 looks great when they are all sitting together.

It's perfect, isn't it? I love the 116600. But, I've been smitten by the triple six and thinking of putting the 116600 bracelet on it to make it more wearable.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Great collection.
    Thanks! Got another 116600 & 126600 stashed away but wanted the pic to be clean...

As above. It’s the best modern Rolex IMHO.

Better svelte case/lugs than other modern models, ceramic, matte dial, glide lock, no cyclops and perfect size for most wrists. For me it’s got all the boxes ticked.

Journeyman

Sea Dweller 126600

This is Rolex most stunning diver to date IMHO. No matter from which angle I try to see it this watch’s proportions are synonym of perfection. The width of the case, width of the lugs gives this watch a beautiful balance. Can perfectly go with 6.5” wrists upwards.
    The way to wear it is key to its comfort feel. This watch can’t and should not be worn lose. Snug and above wrist bone is the only way to sport this stunner.
    Here is mine, turned ON ;-)

Last edited by Rori; 18th February 2020 at 13:04.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rori View Post
    The width of the case, width of the lugs gives this watch a beautiful balance. Can perfectly go with 6.5” wrists upwards. The way to wear it is key to its comfort feel. This watch can’t and should not be worn lose.
    Agree with this. I don't have the largest wrists but it's the most comfortable watch I own; I go back to it again and again. By comparison my old Seamaster sits much less well due to the non-tapered bracelet and lack of adjustment. The SD43 almost defies gravity when you get it right, and it's easy to get right.

Master
    Lovely picture Rori.

Enjoying all the positive comments. I knew when I got the call I would be picking it up, but sometimes nice to get some encouragement form the forum!

More pics welcome!

Master
    I am a huge DSSD fan. Have both 116660 and 126660. Difficult to justify owning both as there is little difference apart from bracelet width, but planning to pop 116660 onto rubber and as how that wears.
    Great watch to add to any collection.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Lovely picture Rori.

Enjoying all the positive comments. I knew when I got the call I would be picking it up, but sometimes nice to get some encouragement form the forum!

More pics welcome!
    Seeing “in the metal” is believing. Once this watch is in the wrist you suddenly forget everything negative you’ve been reading or watching about it.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    Agree with this. I don't have the largest wrists but it's the most comfortable watch I own; I go back to it again and again. By comparison my old Seamaster sits much less well due to the non-tapered bracelet and lack of adjustment. The SD43 almost defies gravity when you get it right, and it's easy to get right.
    Proportions of this watch make it a magnet to the eyes.

Craftsman
    A similar question came up on Pistonheads so forgive me if I paste what I wrote there;

"I'll always love the Sea Dweller for it's extra professionalism in the field but with the cyclops the two watches {the other being the Submariner} will be ever closer. The Sea Dweller runs the risk of just being a chunkier Sub {albeit without the ridiculous shoulders of the maxi-case sub}.

Yes I know the extra specs but we've seen the 126600 gain width, depth, weight and gain no extra performance. It feels, dare I say it-a bit of a fraud. My old 16600 did everything as well without the chintz.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great watch and I'm maybe a bit down on it recently after getting the Kermit but I almost had more respect for my 126660 James Cameron-at least it pushed the boundaries. By the way OP, don't rule out one of them-they're selling cheap at the moment (two in the last week on TZ-UK were a straight £11k) and really suit a bigger bloke (Flintoff wears one on Top Gear) and even looked fine on me."

Master
    Thanks you for the post. I completely take your point about it being a chunkier sub without the maxi case. But I think that just may be what I want. I love the sub. To me it is just the perfect every day watch. But every now and then I look at my wrist and think it is a touch on the small size. I am not usually one for big watches so just a touch bigger would do it. I guess I will find out tomorrow when I go to the AD. This could go either way and I may well agree with you that it is too similar to the sub.

Craftsman
    I think as a Sub with more wrist presence it does the job perfectly. That it comes without the maxi-case is even better and let's be honest, the red script on the dial is pleasing whichever way you look at it.

But, for me, that "wrist presence" isn't always wanted and the old pre-ceramic models could fly under the radar much better as they just weren't as "bling".

It's silly and illogical but me personally, I'm just a little disappointed that they made the Sea Dweller wider, thicker and bigger for no other reason than fashion. If it gave it another 1000ft depth I could convince myself it was all in the name of performance but as it is it's just fashion. It just disappoints me a little, especially as I'm such a fan of the Sea Dweller line.

If bigger is better, the Deep Sea takes some beating as the performance option.

Journeyman

Sea Dweller 126600

The SD43 got those dimensions in order to enhance proportions, it's way shorter than the 44 DSSD, smaller and wears much much slimmer. That's why it's to attractive design wise. Had they kept it at 40mm diameter the watch would have lookek too tall and unbalanced.
    This watch on the wrist looks same as a sub, because the sub has a maxi case with makes it look bigger than 40mm. The Sd43 has no maxi case and therefor it looks smaller than 43. wears on my wrist lower and feels more balanced and smaller than my 41mm Tudor.

Quote Originally Posted by LaurasOtherHalf View Post
    I think as a Sub with more wrist presence it does the job perfectly. That it comes without the maxi-case is even better and let's be honest, the red script on the dial is pleasing whichever way you look at it.

But, for me, that "wrist presence" isn't always wanted and the old pre-ceramic models could fly under the radar much better as they just weren't as "bling".

It's silly and illogical but me personally, I'm just a little disappointed that they made the Sea Dweller wider, thicker and bigger for no other reason than fashion. If it gave it another 1000ft depth I could convince myself it was all in the name of performance but as it is it's just fashion. It just disappoints me a little, especially as I'm such a fan of the Sea Dweller line.

If bigger is better, the Deep Sea takes some beating as the performance option.

Master

UPDATE

The watch is now on my wrist! I suppose that was innevitable!

I agree with the comment above. Although it is a larger watch than the sub, I do feel the proportions work very well. Technical capability aside it just looks right and when I put the sub back on, that looked comparatively too small!
    I guess I am still in the honeymoon period so naturally I will sing its praises for now. However, early impressions are very positive and I think this could certainly be the watch to replace my sub as a daily (not that it needed replacing).

vs. the Black Bay. I do agree that this feels less chunky for whatever reason.

Journeyman
    Congrats, now we need to see a wrist shot ;-)

The watch is now on my wrist! I suppose that was innevitable!

I agree with the comment above. Although it is a larger watch than the sub, I do feel the proportions work very well. Technical capability aside it just looks right and when I put the sub back on, that looked comparatively too small!
    I guess I am still in the honeymoon period so naturally I will sing its praises for now. However, early impressions are very positive and I think this could certainly be the watch to replace my sub as a daily (not that it needed replacing).

vs. the Black Bay. I do agree that this feels less chunky for whatever reason.

Craftsman
    Great pic loving that different variations !

Master
    Here's mine
    Last edited by Boss13; 1st March 2020 at 19:38.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rori View Post
    The SD43 got those dimensions in order to enhance proportions, it's way shorter than the 44 DSSD, smaller and wears much much slimmer. That's why it's to attractive design wise. Had they kept it at 40mm diameter the watch would have lookek too tall and unbalanced.
    This watch on the wrist looks same as a sub, because the sub has a maxi case with makes it look bigger than 40mm. The Sd43 has no maxi case and therefor it looks smaller than 43. wears on my wrist lower and feels more balanced and smaller than my 41mm Tudor.

All good points but why did it need to be taller in the first place? It's not like it can go any deeper. For reference I have owned 16600, 126600 and 126660 all at the same time.

Blog Entries
    I like the red writing on the dial but for me there are two things wrong:

1: it’s 43mm

2: why the **** has it been fitted with a ghastly cyclops!! It’s a bloody Sea Dweller!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ditchvisitor View Post
    why the **** has it been fitted with a ghastly cyclops!! It’s a bloody Sea Dweller!!!
    Yup. Really disappointing that they made that decision.

Master
    A shot showing all thicknesses would top it off ! Pretty please !

Journeyman

Sea Dweller 126600

Quote Originally Posted by ditchvisitor View Post
    I like the red writing on the dial but for me there are two things wrong:

1: it’s 43mm

2: why the **** has it been fitted with a ghastly cyclops!! It’s a bloody Sea Dweller!!!
    1:40mm on a tall case looks ridiculous.

2: They fitted the cyclops simply because they can do it now while it was not possible “technologically speaking” before.
    They would have fitted all Deep Seas with it since day one had they had the know-how before. The cyclops is one of Rolex’s trademarks. You see it and you say ROLEX. When they don’t use it it’’s not because they don’t want, it’s because they can’t.

Last edited by Rori; 20th February 2020 at 07:47.

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    I didn't try it without the divers extension as my dealer wouldn't remove it.
    What?! Madness! Your AD sounds very annoying.