closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: IF I flip my SMPc for something dressier......

IF I flip my SMPc for something dressier......

....What could I consider for the same trade value?

I'm getting older now and feel it may be time to move into something a little more traditional and elegant, on a strap.

I have an Omega SMP Ceramic in black (gloss dial) on original bracelet (not glide lock).
    Excellent condition with only faint/minor marks/swirls as expected in a 5-6 year old watch.
    Only used carefully in an office/client facing role and for social engagements etc. In other words well looked after.
    It is due for a service but seems to run well although I've not tested it's timekeeping in ages.

So based on a (guess - I welcome constructive and helpful advice on pricing if I'm out?) value of between £1800-£1900 what could I look at as a trade without parting with any cash?

If I did this I'd want something a little more dressy and traditional but not blingy.
    Something like an Omega AT (38mm) or an Omega Deville 'Power Reserve' or similar style of watch in other brands.

Just sell it and use the cash for something you may see on SC...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They were selling the last few off around £2300 - £2400 last year, and nearly new ones were selling around £1900, so I’d question whether your expected value is a little high for a 5 - 6 year old version due a service?

Used, a Grand Seiko or Aqua Terra would be the obvious swap, or an old DateJust Precision in that price bracket. Maybe a Nomos depending how you feel about them.

A few nice dressy Longines and Tudors not massively over top of your estimated budget new, so probably in budget used too.
    Last edited by vortgern; 12th February 2020 at 16:28.

Craftsman
    I do love the Tudor BB 36 on a strap, perhaps not dressy enough however. Vintage Rolex can be had for reasonable money too which always look nice on a matched strap.

Master
    As suggested above, Sell your SMP for c. £2k and buy one of the wide range of used Grand Seiko dress watches that come up on SC every other week for between £1k and £2k depending on movement, condition, bracelet etc. The fact you're wanting it on leather should make your purchase even less expensive.

Use the search function on SC to look for previous Grand Seikos and see if any catch your fancy. Then put up a wtb for folk to ignore... ;-) Then do a wee eBay search. Def the most economical way of achieving your goal. Obviously the exact same process applies for the Omega models (or anything else you fancy!) but I think you'll get more bang for your buck with used GS.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
    I do love the Tudor BB 36 on a strap, perhaps not dressy enough however. Vintage Rolex can be had for reasonable money too which always look nice on a matched strap.
    Great idea. Buy it on bracelet and buy a quality after-market leather. You should still have decent change from SMP sale.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

As above a few times Omega AT is the most logical. Love the ones with the date at 3, not 6. Grand Seiko would be a good left field choice if you're into them.

Grand Master
    Price should be based on current market values, the prices of the last stocks of new ones is totally irrelevant. Omegas price rises over the past 18 months have dragged second- hand values upwards, so I think the OP is in the right ballpark for a watch with b & p that’s being sold by its original owner.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    As above a few times Omega AT is the most logical. Love the ones with the date at 3, not 6. Grand Seiko would be a good left field choice if you're into them.
    I’m with you on this, the AT is a lovely all rounder.

Banned
    Longines have a lovely selection of dressy classic watches , £1500-£2000 is the sweet spot for some of their nicer pieces

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

IF I flip my SMPc for something dressier......

Quite a while back I got rid of my SMPc - not a trade per se, but I also felt like something a little dressier so I sold it on here and after a couple of years (and a few other watches) ended up with a very lovely Datejust which became my daily wearer in place of the Seamaster. Not exactly sure why, maybe I’m getting old, but I just wanted something a little smaller and less “”sports””. I must say that the DJ fits the bill perfectly - dressier and smaller but still durable enough for daily wear and water resistant enough for me to wear swimming if I want to.
    I think it depends upon your lifestyle and personal taste of course, but I have found myself looking more and more at some of the lovely dress watches on a recent thread, some which have passed through SC and thinking that I really would like one or two nice vintage watches to wear on a regular basis in the office with a shirt and tie.
    I would say that the Aqua Terra would fit your requirements perfectly and it is a beautiful watch, but have you thought about two watches - maybe something vintage and dressy for special occasions and something a little more durable for daily wear?
    Also, have you considered the size difference when moving to a smaller watch? For me personally that really did take some getting used to after many years of wearing hearty sports watches and you may find that you don’t get on with it.
    For what it’s worth, I would sell the Seamaster rather than trade and wait for a while until something comes which takes your fancy. The good news is, with this hobby it’s very easy to chop and change without really losing your shirt.

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

Regarding the value, I appreciate there may be different opinions but I was basing my estimate on previous sales threads on here and current prices new etc.

The reason I'm currently listing as trade only is that I haven't fallen out with the watch, I just think I'd like something more 'traditional' and as Piemuncher22 says 'less sporty'.
    I have no means to input cash into a deal from my end so an upgrade to a Rolex Datejust is not possible although I agree with it being a good choice funds willing.
    I don't want to sell the watch and end up with nothing to replace it of similar value, quality and 'bang for buck' and I think that the SMPc is certainly 'bang for buck' when you consider the build quality, ceramic bezel, gorgeous gloss dial, Co-Axial movement and screw link bracelet.
    If I trade I know I've moved from one watch I like to another I like even more but I'm not desperate enough to change to risk not finding anything else. At least by trading I get to keep it if nothing comes along.
    That may or may not make sense to some but for now it suits my mindset.
    A 8500 Omega AT would be a good choice but so far nothing is doing, then again I'm not in a hurry.

Cheers
    Neil.

Actually a dressier chrono would also be a consideration, nothing too tool like though.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Peel View Post
    Actually a dressier chrono would also be a consideration, nothing too tool like though.
    Longines Heritage Column Wheel Chronograph L2.733.4.72.2

I appreciate your feedback, however I've had a look and although not exhaustive my searching seems to indicate that on commercial sites a 2014 example like mine is listed as anywhere between £2,600 - £3,000+ (Chrono24 & Watches.co.uk)
    I appreciate that these are commercial re-sellers and have a decent margin built in but I'm not asking that on here so I feel it's reasonably close give or take.
    I'm not interested in making off this, simply getting into another watch of similar value and quality that I'm happy with.
    I also appreciate your suggestion but I've never been keen on pointer dates and don't feel that Oris offers a comparable quality or finish to the SMPc.

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Just sell it and use the cash for something you may see on SC...
    Like some half-used aftershaves

Master
    My view for what’s its worth is don’t sell it. The SMP goes with anything it’s slim by a lot of dive watch specs and is on the dressy range of divers anyway.
    I’d have fun hunting the loveliest looking vintage dress watch by saving up £300-£500. You’d be surprised as well at what’s knocking around the £300’s . The odd overlooked Omega , Certina Blue Ribbons and Bristols . Longine conquests etc
    Plenty knocking around . Whilst you’re still young enough to clamber into a swimming pool you’re still young enough to wear a Seamaster. When your out for a nice dinner then the dress watch can be worn then

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    My view for what’s its worth is don’t sell it. The SMP goes with anything it’s slim by a lot of dive watch specs and is on the dressy range of divers anyway.
    I’d have fun hunting the loveliest looking vintage dress watch by saving up £300-£500. You’d be surprised as well at what’s knocking around the £300’s . The odd overlooked Omega , Certina Blue Ribbons and Bristols . Longine conquests etc
    Plenty knocking around . Whilst you’re still young enough to clamber into a swimming pool you’re still young enough to wear a Seamaster. When your out for a nice dinner then the dress watch can be worn then
    I agree Mark it's a very special watch in that it is very versatile and ticks many occasion boxes. That combined with it's build quality and other features makes it hard to replace within the same price point.
    That's really why I am putting it up for possible trades rather than simply up for sale.
    I may well just keep it though based on the level of interest (low) that I've had as I'm a million miles away from desperate.

For anyone interested I've out a few quick 'n' dirty pics up on the SC thread.