closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: PRS-25 Everest 36mm update

Well, the honeymoon's over for mine. Wore it earlier out cycling, was hailed and rained on, quick rinse once back, popped a clean Nato on and good to go again. I expect the swirls and scratches will start to appear shortly.

F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Loving this watch! The dial is incredible and dare I say perfect?

And the Super-LumiNova is off the chart!

But, the clasp is too big for me. Has anyone tried any third party clasps with the excellent existing bracelet?

If you look back over this thread you'll find a fair bit of discussion on the options re the bracelet.

As I recall, there are technical problems with fitting a different clasp to the existing bracelet, meaning that you need to either stick with it or replace the whole thing.

The clasp is undeniably not well matched with the watch head but you'd be surprised the extent to which you'd get used to it if you decided to persevere with the current bracelet. I don't really notice it any more and, being under the wrist, no-one else is likely to notice it either.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TF23 View Post
    If you look back over this thread you'll find a fair bit of discussion on the options re the bracelet.

As I recall, there are technical problems with fitting a different clasp to the existing bracelet, meaning that you need to either stick with it or replace the whole thing.
    Yeah, I guess it's to do with the thickness of the links at the clasp point. Would be a shame to ditch the whole bracelet as the quality feels really good.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Joppers View Post
    Yeah, I guess it's to do with the thickness of the links at the clasp point. Would be a shame to ditch the whole bracelet as the quality feels really good.
    Yes exactly ... I had a clasp the right size and gender (i.e to suit "female end links"), but couldn't fit it to those fat ends .. even tried them upside down.

I'd bet that the factory in HK has normal clasps that fit the bracelet as the standard option... but you'd need two new "end links" at the clasp ends ... and I'd bet they have those as well :-) If this option was available I'd buy it. Not overly excited about a rivetted bracelet version myself ...

Craftsman
    I wonder if Eddie could find out if there is a different clasp option rather than a full bracelet replacement?

Journeyman
    Got the hands replaced with better proportioned ones:

I had planned to get it modded with a different crystal as well but my watchmaker advised against it.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyPN View Post

I had planned to get it modded with a different crystal as well but my watchmaker advised against it.
    That looks really good, can we see a lume shot too please.

How much did he charge? If you don’t mind me asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by horror_logical View Post
    That looks really good, can we see a lume shot too please.

How much did he charge? If you don’t mind me asking.

Lume shot:

I bought the hands from an ebay seller for €17,50. The watchmaker charged me €15 for his work. So total cost was €32,50 (about 28 GBP)

Journeyman
    Lume shot:

I bought the hands from an ebay seller for €17,50. The watchmaker charged me €15 for his work. So total cost was €32,50 (about 28 GBP)
    I think it makes this watch perfect, Looks great mate.

Agreed- looks proper good. Lume matches too! Nice one- hopefully one will be in production sometime soonish (maybe with a revised bracelet)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Ogdensnut View Post
    Agreed- looks proper good. Lume matches too! Nice one- hopefully one will be in production sometime soonish (maybe with a revised bracelet)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Yes I fully agree, I am waiting for the new version with adjusted hands and 20 -> 16 oyster riveted bracelet and old style clasp.

I really hope this combo will be available very soon !

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Engi View Post
    Yes I fully agree, I am waiting for the new version with adjusted hands and 20 -> 16 oyster riveted bracelet and old style clasp.

Is Eddie going to update the black dial version or just release the new white dial?

Quote Originally Posted by Engi View Post

Is Eddie going to update the black dial version or just release the new white dial?

If an updated version of the black dialled 36mm is to happen then I expect that existing stock of the current model would have to to be sold first.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    If an updated version of the black dialled 36mm is to happen then I expect that existing stock of the current model would have to to be sold first.
    Yes, the remaining stock of the current models has to be sold, then the new one will be issued.

I do not know how many watches of the current model are still in stock.

Craftsman
    Love wearing this watch! I think it goes pretty well on this Timefactors green NATO strap.

Nice, I too find that the minute hand is too long and the hour one, too short.
    Hope an updated version.

Short question to The happy owners.
    Are the hands totally flat or are they slightly curved?
    The hands on my MKII are slightly curved and so they catch every piece of light and never get black. It’s, to my point of view, a very nice “detail” that make this watch so “lovable” (can we say that?)

Nobody?

Journeyman

What were the new dimensions of the hands? Is the new hour hand 8.5mm?

Craftsman
    Glasgow, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Blog Entries
    I need this watch in my life. It looks best on a bracelet, but that clasp. Arghhhh

Quote Originally Posted by GuyIncognito View Post
    I need this watch in my life. It looks best on a bracelet, but that clasp. Arghhhh
    I agree, we all are waiting for the version with the riveted 20->16 oyster bracelet

Journeyman
    What were the new dimensions of the hands? Is the new hour hand 8.5mm?

Hour hand: 8.5mm
    Minute hand: 12mm
    Seconds hand: 12.5 mm

Journeyman
    10:10 shot:

Journeyman

Yep, that looks so good.

Apprentice

Looks great but I can live with the “old” .....however.....bring on the new bracelet!!

Hour hand: 8.5mm
    Minute hand: 12mm
    Seconds hand: 12.5 mm
    Would you mind saying which Ebay seller you used?

So far I haven't spotted one who offers those exact dimensions, though I did see a very similar set where the only difference was the hour hand, at 8mm long. That would be fine too I think.

I assume that any hands with C3 lume would match the shade of luminescence on the hour markers but I'm not sure whether that's the standard treatment on these aftermarket hands. (Based on a quick look, sellers don't tend to specify which lume has been applied so I suppose the safest thing would be to ask before ordering.)

Does anyone have any bad experiences with mismatched lume? That would be a no-no for me!

Journeyman
    Would you mind saying which Ebay seller you used?

So far I haven't spotted one who offers those exact dimensions, though I did see a very similar set where the only difference was the hour hand, at 8mm long. That would be fine too I think.

I assume that any hands with C3 lume would match the shade of luminescence on the hour markers but I'm not sure whether that's the standard treatment on these aftermarket hands. (Based on a quick look, sellers don't tend to specify which lume has been applied so I suppose the safest thing would be to ask before ordering.)

Does anyone have any bad experiences with mismatched lume? That would be a no-no for me!
    A direct link to the ebay page did not work but if you search ebay.co.uk for "Submariner Watch Hands for DG 2813 / Miyota 8200 - Merc Green" you will find the hands I bought. They're from seller raffles-time out of Singapore.
    The colour of the lume is not 100% identical to the lume on the dial. It's close but in some lighting conditions it's obvious that the lume does not match exactly. It is also not as intense or long lasting as the lume on the dial but that does not bother me since I don't use the watch in total darkness. That being said, I doubt that anybody who sees the watch would notice that I had the hands replaced. But they are a compromise.
    For me it was the choice of either selling the watch or trying to repair its flaws (as perceived by me) at a reasonable price. Another micro brand has indicated that it is going to release a 36mm 1016 homage in a month or so, so I might end up getting rid of the Smiths after all since I still really dislike the crystal.
    Last edited by DannyPN; 26th April 2019 at 13:25. Reason: link did not work

Journeyman
    Here's a pic after a little sunlight hit the dial. You can see that the lume of the hands is slightly different. In daily wear I hardly notice it though and I found the disproportion of the stock hands much more annoying.

[IMG][/IMG]

Many thanks for the further information, very useful.

As you say, in practice no-one would notice the slight difference in the colour of the lume during the day, though you can pick it out on that last photo you've posted. However, personally I do sometimes check the time if I wake up at night and a quicker fade on the hands would irritate me, so I seem to have set myself up for a tricky decision here ..

A direct link to the ebay page did not work but if you search ebay.co.uk for "Submariner Watch Hands for DG 2813 / Miyota 8200 - Merc Green" you will find the hands I bought. They're from seller raffles-time out of Singapore.
    The colour of the lume is not 100% identical to the lume on the dial. It's close but in some lighting conditions it's obvious that the lume does not match exactly. It is also not as intense or long lasting as the lume on the dial but that does not bother me since I don't use the watch in total darkness. That being said, I doubt that anybody who sees the watch would notice that I had the hands replaced. But they are a compromise.
    For me it was the choice of either selling the watch or trying to repair its flaws (as perceived by me) at a reasonable price. Another micro brand has indicated that it is going to release a 36mm 1016 homage in a month or so, so I might end up getting rid of the Smiths after all since I still really dislike the crystal.
    Which micro brand is that? Might be interested!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Which micro brand is that? Might be interested!
    Armida.

Journeyman
    Armida.
    Where did you hear about the armida 36 release?

Armida.
    Thanks, could be interesting if proportions are right. I see they have a 40mm one with a 50mm lug to lug, too long for me.

Journeyman
    Where did you hear about the armida 36 release?

On Armida's Instagram. The owner said that around May he's going to release a 36mm version of the A6 model.

Just back from a week long holiday with the Everest being worn everyday and all day. It really is so versatile being equally at home on the beach or in the evening at dinner.

Submerged in sea water everyday (for 6 hours non stop one day) it performed faultlessly.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Just back from a week long holiday with the Everest being worn everyday and all day. It really is so versatile being equally at home on the beach or in the evening at dinner.

Submerged in sea water everyday (for 6 hours non stop one day) it performed faultlessly.
    Thanks for posting this Velorum.
    I’ve been quietly looking for a diver with a couple of hundred quid budget to go on holiday with me in a weeks time for beach/sea duties.
    I hadn’t even considered my (full size) Everest but maybe I’ve had the ideal watch along. Is it time to unwrap the bracelet which it has never worn, and leave the cordovan at home?

The original bracelet which I hated initially has now grown on me - so much so that I now keep it on there. The instant adjustment function on the clasp is great especially in very hot weather which meant that no matter how hot and humid it became on holiday I could maintain a comfortable fit.

Journeyman
    Has anyone else used the watch for swimming?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been wearing it twice a week for swimming since December. (I swim for half an hour a session and I'm too short sighted to time it against the pool wall clock.)

No problems whatsoever - not that I expected any, as it's rated to 100 metres and has a screw-down crown.

I hardly ever take it off at all really. It's super comfy and as Velorum says, you do actually get used to the clasp on the bracelet after a little while.

Journeyman

PRS-25 Everest 36mm update

I've been wearing it twice a week for swimming since December. (I swim for half an hour a session and I'm too short sighted to time it against the pool wall clock.)

No problems whatsoever - not that I expected any, as it's rated to 100 metres and has a screw-down crown.

I hardly ever take it off at all really. It's super comfy and as Velorum says, you do actually get used to the clasp on the bracelet after a little while.
    Thanks for the reply. I must admit it’s a nice watch and if you can swim with it as well it makes a good holiday companion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I’m not sure if I’ve missed it but have we got a release date for the new white dial and the updated black dial?

Quote Originally Posted by Mad14 View Post
    I’m not sure if I’ve missed it but have we got a release date for the new white dial and the updated black dial?
    Not yet

Quote Originally Posted by Mad14 View Post

F.T.F.A.

Bracelet

I’m considering selling my SARB035 for the Everest. The bracelet, of course, is a point of contention amongst most people it seems. There’s a good chance I may like it, however if I don’t does the Everest have a standard Oyster case? There are many bracelets on eBay marketed for Rolex watches and I’m wondering if they’ll fit the Everest? Or if I could use them with the Everest end links?

So far no one has come up with an option that fits and is entirely satisfactory, ie up to the standard of the watch. If you go back to page 13 of this thread and read forwards from there you'll find discussion of various third party bracelets, though it's interspersed with other discussion of course.

Some of us have got used to the clasp and find it's not really that much of an issue in practice. It doesn't look good in photos where it's placed next to the watch head, but that's not the situation when worn on your wrist. Having said that, I expect quite a few will upgrade (?) to the new rivetted bracelet for these Everests later this year. An extra expense though, obviously.

From what I’ve read I don’t think the new bracelet will be available on the black dial model for a while.

Journeyman
    I have both the sarb035 and the Everest 36, I can wear the sarb035 all day comfortably although the bracelet isn’t great. I can’t wear the Everest for over an hour without playing with the clasp. The clasp is too big, the edges are too sharp and frankly it’s badly made. I’ve also had three of the link screws unscrew by themselves.

Other than that the Everest 36 is my favourite watch to date in terms of fit, aesthetics and value. It looks so good on a bracelet but for now I have it on a nylon strap. The watch would be improved with a dateless movement and better proportioned hands, all these problems will be rectified on the white Everest I believe.

I think, as with most others, I’ll be waiting for the new handed and braceleted black model!

I have both the sarb035 and the Everest 36, I can wear the sarb035 all day comfortably although the bracelet isn’t great. I can’t wear the Everest for over an hour without playing with the clasp. The clasp is too big, the edges are too sharp and frankly it’s badly made. I’ve also had three of the link screws unscrew by themselves.

Other than that the Everest 36 is my favourite watch to date in terms of fit, aesthetics and value. It looks so good on a bracelet but for now I have it on a nylon strap. The watch would be improved with a dateless movement and better proportioned hands, all these problems will be rectified on the white Everest I believe.

Upgraded movement, if any, proportioned hands and new oyster bracelet should be reflected also on the black dial model.