closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What to do with a beaten-up PRS-22 GMT?

What to do with a beaten-up PRS-22 GMT?

Looking for some advice here

A few years ago I bought a second-hand Speedbird PRS-22 GMT. It was in a great condition and was working fine. However about 6 months later, it accidentally dropped out of a locker and hit the floor. I took it for a full repair but it was never the same after that. The power reserve was not as good as before and it is about 30-40 seconds slow. Because of that I would often manually wind the watch to top up the reserve.

Seems like I've now worn the threads of the crown and it wouldn't screw back in...

So what do you think I should do? Sell it at a very low price/for parts? or try to get it repaired again? If the latter, does anyone know of a good repair shop in Central/East London?

Thanks

Get it fixed up and wear it.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I can supply a new crown and tube, any good watch repairer can fit them and should be able to sort the movement out as well. Note that I said GOOD watch repairer.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I can't recommend a good repair shop local to you but if it were me I'd post it RMSD to .olli. of this forum, otherwise known as https://onatelier.co.uk/

He does excellent work and has a growing number of customers on here.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    ALSAL Watches on the Strand, very good family run business. I always take my broken watches here. They have been in business for many, many years.

Get the parts from Eddie and take it to Russell Talerman just off Oxford Street:

https://www.russelltalerman.com

Job done and shouldn’t cost too much to get the watch running as new.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I can't recommend a good repair shop local to you but if it were me I'd post it RMSD to .olli. of this forum, otherwise known as https://onatelier.co.uk/

He does excellent work and has a growing number of customers on here.
    Fascinating blog on the website detailing some of his services and repairs. Thanks for this link

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Thanks all for the comments and referrals. The prices don't look too bad either. I really should have checked here before I got it repaired last time. Sounds like the consensus is to get it repaired, although I'm still tempted to part with it to get something else.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I can supply a new crown and tube, any good watch repairer can fit them and should be able to sort the movement out as well. Note that I said GOOD watch repairer.

Eddie
    Thanks Eddie, I may take you up on that. Will send you a PM.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post
    Thanks all for the comments and referrals. The prices don't look too bad either. I really should have checked here before I got it repaired last time. Sounds like the consensus is to get it repaired, although I'm still tempted to part with it to get something else.
    I have to say I would never part with mine. To me these are unique watches and may never be available again (Eddie?) in addition to the GMT which I wear (despite my first love of 36 years ago - a Rolex), I have two SB111's that I bought for my twin sons (I nearly wrote "sins" Oops!).

If you live in SW or West London London - there is a young totally dedicated watchmaker called Elliot James who has fitted a new crown and tube to a SB111 for me (Eddie supplied it) and is a Rolex disciple!. You could try him: https://www.londonrolexservice.com/

Do Keep the GMT..

Does anyone know how many of these were made exactly, I’ve read only a 100?

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Does anyone know how many of these were made exactly, I’ve read only a 100?
    Two batches of 100.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Two batches of 100.

Eddie
    Thanks Eddie, finally tracked one down should be with me tomorrow.