closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ryanair at it again

Ryanair at it again

I know I seem to moan about ryianair a lot, but this really does take the Micky, I'm sitting in Malaga airport, we learnt that our flight to stanstead had been cancelled by accident as they didn't bother to announce it or put it on the boards, we were told to go to an office outside the airport, then given the run around and told to go to a different office where they told all of the passengers there was no space on any other flights from maliga to the UK other than a Ryanair flight to Bristol. They were trying very hard to give people refunds so they don't have to offer compensation.

They were lying, I booked seats on a BA flight at 11.00 on my phone, when we got to the desk the man told us there were only 17 passengers on the flight, it was empty.

Craftsman
    Yep. Pretty much par for the course

Blog Entries
    We all know Ryanair have complete contempt for their passengers, this is just a further example. O’Dreary appears to be contemptious of his own staff so what chance have the passengers got? Odious little man!
    Last edited by KavKav; 31st March 2018 at 05:42.

I've never flown Ryanair and never will. Heard too many horror stories, they treat their customers like crap.

Flying is like everything, you get what you pay for. As an example:

In February, myself and one of my colleagues happened to visit Munich on consecutive weekends. I went with the Mrs. for a bit of holiday, he went his brother and a couple for mates for a lad's weekend. I think a football match was involved.

We flew from Southampton, 20 minutes away. Nice flight times, mid morning out and late afternoon back. You only need to turn up 3/4 of an hour before the flight at Southampton as there's no queues, drop your bag and walk through security. Grab a quick coffee and walk out across the tarmac to the plane - in our case, an Embraer 135. Lovely little 37 seat regional jet, which was less than half full. The closest you'll get to flying on a Gulfstream.

My colleague flew from Gatwick with an early doors flight, so had to get up in the middle of the night. Drive for an hour and a half, get there two hours early, work your way through all the grief that comes with a big airport. Normal scrum to get on the plane with everyone trying to max out their hand luggage allowance. Probably a 200 seat Airbus of some kind, so a better chance of picking up someone else's germs from the recycled air..

OK, at Munich it was a little more inconvenient for us as the little jet couldn't taxi up to a stand and we had to get on a bus (which took the world's most convoluted route to the terminal), but that was only 10 minutes added to the journey each way.

My colleague's return flight was late in the day, and in fact got messed up as the plane had to cover several sectors before heading back to Gatwick. I can't remember what time he finally got home, but it was well behind schedule and he was frazzled.

His return flight to Munich was £80. Let's face it, that's pretty good value for a flight of that distance. But, mine was £188 - how much value do you place on your own time? I know which I'd rather cough up for..

Cheers,

Plug

Your threads alone have put me off Ryanair for good.

Hope your journey back wasn't too stressful.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post

Just about to take off on a plane with 17 people on board, bit odd. I feel sorry for all the people who believed Ryanair

^Sounds like an opportunity to stretch across a few seats and see if the drinks trolley can rustle up a G&T!

Master
    David Walliams once did a sketch in Come Fly With Me of a disgruntled passenger storming off from an airline (obviously Ryanair) after receiving lousy service. He stormed off giving a V sign and screaming "you can stuff your lousy airline where the sun don't shire, I wouldn't fly with you again if you paid me a million pounds."

Just as he is about to go through the exit doors, a message is broadcast on the Tannoy - " We are offering a £5 discount off our airline prices just for today". He runs back to the desk as fast as he can go.

Sums it up really. Go for the cheapest airline, moan like hell about them and then use them again.

Ryanair have always made it difficult to claim compensation and even when they do, they push the rulebook to the limit and take months to do it. We all know this, so it is a calculated gamble when you use them.

The trouble is they aren't the cheapest, unfortunately they monopolise my local airport.

Just checked, BA were actually cheaper, one interesting thing though, we got my relatives from Spain to book it on the Spanish site, we found out talking to other people we told about the flight, we paid 60 euros each, they booked on the uk site and paid 80.
    Last edited by adrianw; 31st March 2018 at 02:42.

Who did you fly with from Southampton?

Craftsman
    Anything to do with what happened at Stansted last night? If departing planes are stopped from leaving, it won’t get to you for the return flight.

It’s the way they fail to handle a problem. Had the same on the way to Dublin years ago. A class of six year olds would have handled it better than Ryan air did.

Craftsman
    Horses for courses. If you want a cheap flight you have to accept some problems can occur. If Ryanair are as consistently bad as the OP says, you have to wonder why the OP didn’t book BA in the first place. Or maybe you don’t.

BA are not exactly fault free either. https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...elays-heathrow

Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    Horses for courses. If you want a cheap flight you have to accept some problems can occur.
    Whilst I agree with the rest of your post, I completely disagree with the above, for 3 reasons :
    1) the price you pay has nothing to do with the problems that occur. Fortunately.
    2) it’s not like they can’t afford to put things right. Despite the low fares Ryanair is a very profitable business.
    3) it’s not the problems but the way they are handled.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Correct.

We had an issue with an Asia Air flight recently - sorted no problem and they rang us twice in sorting the issue out.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Whilst I agree with the rest of your post, I completely disagree with the above, for 3 reasons :
    1) the price you pay has nothing to do with the problems that occur. Fortunately.
    2) it’s not like they can’t afford to put things right. Despite the low fares Ryanair is a very profitable business.
    3) it’s not the problems but the way they are handled.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Plug View Post
    I've never flown Ryanair and never will. Heard too many horror stories, they treat their customers like crap.

Flying is like everything, you get what you pay for. As an example:

In February, myself and one of my colleagues happened to visit Munich on consecutive weekends. I went with the Mrs. for a bit of holiday, he went his brother and a couple for mates for a lad's weekend. I think a football match was involved.

We flew from Southampton, 20 minutes away. Nice flight times, mid morning out and late afternoon back. You only need to turn up 3/4 of an hour before the flight at Southampton as there's no queues, drop your bag and walk through security. Grab a quick coffee and walk out across the tarmac to the plane - in our case, an Embraer 135. Lovely little 37 seat regional jet, which was less than half full. The closest you'll get to flying on a Gulfstream.

My colleague flew from Gatwick with an early doors flight, so had to get up in the middle of the night. Drive for an hour and a half, get there two hours early, work your way through all the grief that comes with a big airport. Normal scrum to get on the plane with everyone trying to max out their hand luggage allowance. Probably a 200 seat Airbus of some kind, so a better chance of picking up someone else's germs from the recycled air..

OK, at Munich it was a little more inconvenient for us as the little jet couldn't taxi up to a stand and we had to get on a bus (which took the world's most convoluted route to the terminal), but that was only 10 minutes added to the journey each way.

My colleague's return flight was late in the day, and in fact got messed up as the plane had to cover several sectors before heading back to Gatwick. I can't remember what time he finally got home, but it was well behind schedule and he was frazzled.

His return flight to Munich was £80. Let's face it, that's pretty good value for a flight of that distance. But, mine was £188 - how much value do you place on your own time? I know which I'd rather cough up for..

Cheers,

Plug
    I use Southampton a lot and have to say that Flybe aren't that much better than Ryanair. They regularly cancel flights that aren't full to bump you back onto a later flight and play around with the schedule so you get a casual email telling you the flight you carefully chose months in advance has moved to a different slot.

When everything goes to schedule, I totally agree that flying from Southampton is a breeze.

It continually amazes me why people give Ryanair their money. Speak with your feet (and your wallets) and go with another carrier.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    That was partly my point. If problems can occur no matter what you pay, why not choose cheap in the first place?

When we book regular flights, admittedly mainly to go to the MIL's villa in Spain with carry on luggage only, we can go Stansted/Southend to either Alicante/Murcia and can choose between EasyJet, Ryanair, Jet2, Norwegian etc. I choose whatever flight time/route/price us convenient to us as, as has been said, things can go wrong with any airline but probably more so with the budget ones.

On the other hand, when we have gone to other destinations and we were taking hold luggage, it was often cheaper to fly with a scheduled airline that included a hold luggage allowance. Having said that, we once did a fly cruise from Venice with friends a few years ago. We booked separately. They went with EasyJet, we went BA. Our flights were a nightmare - severe delays both ways, they sailed through. Luck of the draw!

Master
    It's all down to choice. I probably make 12 -15 return flights every year and it must be 5 years since I last used Ryanair because a bit of computer surfing soon brings up a better or, at least, a comparable price from a competitor.

However to give EasyJet and Ryanair some credit, I can fly to Spain on more regular and cheaper flights that what I could 30 years ago. They have made air travel affordable for millions of people.

I think it will be a good day for everyone, as well as Ryanair, when O' Leary leaves the industry.

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    It continually amazes me why people give Ryanair their money. Speak with your feet (and your wallets) and go with another carrier.
    Because they (are the only ones who) fly from our local airport, at convenient times of day, to where we want to go. This means we can get to and from the airport on public transport in an hour or so, rather than three hours on the motorway, extortionate car park charges and flights that generally dump you here/there at 3 o'clock in the morning.

The flight itself, brilliant. Local airport, brilliant. Quiet, peaceful, no problem. When something goes wrong though, dreadful mess. Whether it's because Ryan Air have no corporate ability to handle a crisis or simply no appetite to, is open to debate.

In our case it is because we live ten minutes from stansted airport, and Ryanair dominate the routes we use, the Ryanair woman at maliga was downright rude to the passengers, when people politely said that they don't want to go to Bristol she replied "get out of the queue I don't want to talk to you" passengers were in disbelief, all she wanted to do was get people on the flight to Bristol or give refunds that passengers would get in seven days, there were young people who had no money to get anywhere, she actually told them "that's your problem"

To be fair, they're not the only low cost airline to cancel underbooked flights after check in. The industry seems to find it acceptable practice. Plenty of excuses to hide behind to avoid paying compensation. Avoid odd timed flights involving minority destinations.

Craftsman
    The big, big national airlines regularly overbook their flights meaning that usually some poor sods don’t get to board. Okay, they usually compensate them and put them on another flight but if not enough people accept that option, the customers are stuffed and it’s pot luck as to whether you are just offloaded or refused boarding. I wonder whether those people (or even the OP) would refuse to fly with say, BA, Air India or Quantas ever again, having been bumped?

I've never heard of a budget airline bumping anyone.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I've had all sorts of experiences of one sort or another with Ryanair and stopped using them years ago. They are,and always have been,a terrible airline in all respects (in my opinion). To be fair,Flymaybe are fine if all goes to plan but they are so prone to switching & cancelling flights that I rarely trust them.

Blog Entries
    It is depressing to read of these stories which are clearly only the tip of the iceberg. That ‘get out of the queue’ Ryanair woman, I wish she worked for me, it would be a pleasure to fire her! Doubtless she gets her appalling rudeness from O’ Dreary!

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post

Now any airline can suffer in flight incidents and even accidents, but how about what they say about them (link):

Ryanair said the plane "landed normally and customers disembarked, where a small number received medical attention as a precaution".

The plane was carrying 189 passengers, 33 of whom were hospitalised, and some decided not to continue with their journey, German police said.

You pay your money etc.. Ryanair is pretty much the last resort if we're unable to book a flight with any other airline and we manage our expectations.. All I hope for is that their penny pinching does not sacrifice basic safety/airworthiness of their planes and competence of their pilots.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Flew with them twice this year after having previously said “never again” about 8 years ago. Once because it was an enormous amount cheaper and once because there was literally no other option for the dates I wanted to fly.

First flight I had gum on my seat so I needed to dry clean my shorts. Second was massively delayed but they tried to claim it was only a 2hr58min delay to avoid compensation.

Proved them wrong with evidence to the contrary but I expect it put many off claiming and whilst they have now accepted my claim they are yet to pay me despite being past their own deadline for payment...

So back to never again...

My last Ryanair flight was in 2000, said never again and meant it.

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.