closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Speedmaster - misaligned hand on hour sub-dial...

Angry Omega Speedmaster - misaligned hand on hour sub-dial...

My recently acquired Speedy has developed a fault that is bugging me a lot. On reset, the hour hand on the bottom sub-dial does not point perfectly to the 12. It's off by a couple of minutes.

Should I live with this or get it adjusted under warranty? How common is this issue on Speedies? Not happy this happened on a watch of this value, but hey-ho...

Absolutely don’t accept it. It would drive me nuts, and I sent my Chronomaster Sport back for a full service under warranty for the same reason.

Craftsman
    Definitely not something I could live with on my Speedmaster.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Do not accept it. Return for a repair or replacement. In its current state you can’t really use the chronograph and as such it’s not fit for purpose.

Unhappy

Thanks Guys - looks like it's going back to Bienne for a service. :( God knows how many months it will be gone...

Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    Thanks Guys - looks like it's going back to Bienne for a service. :( God knows how many months it will be gone...
    I lost mine for two months, but at no point did I regret sending it back. Ask for a full service, and for the full warranty period to be reset from that date.

Thanks Tony - will do. :)

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I lost mine for two months, but at no point did I regret sending it back. Ask for a full service, and for the full warranty period to be reset from that date.
    - - - Updated - - -

If you're worried about it now, over time it would definitely play on the mind more - so absolutely right to send it back

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Slightly puzzled as to why the watch has developed this fault if it was OK when purchased. If it’s under warranty I would definitely ask for it fixing.

Can’t understand the ‘full service’ comments! Can someone explain that to me? Provided the watch us running correctly there’s really no justification to completely strip the watch, why would you?

Sensible answer is to check that the hr hand is fitted securely, it could've moved on its pinion in which case it should be an easy fix, simply refit it and check that it zeros correctly. If there’s an issue with the reset hammer not making correct contact that requires a bit more intervention but can still be addressed without fully stripping the movement.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Slightly puzzled as to why the watch has developed this fault if it was OK when purchased. If it’s under warranty I would definitely ask for it fixing.

Can’t understand the ‘full service’ comments! Can someone explain that to me? Provided the watch us running correctly there’s really no justification to completely strip the watch, why would you?

Sensible answer is to check that the hr hand is fitted securely, it could've moved on its pinion in which case it should be an easy fix, simply refit it and check that it zeros correctly. If there’s an issue with the reset hammer not making correct contact that requires a bit more intervention but can still be addressed without fully stripping the movement.
    Two reasons, Paul, whether or not you agree.

1) To get a new warranty.
    2) I’d rather have a new watch that's then serviced to one thats just come off the production line.

Edited to add - in my case the subdial hand in question was creeping, so just aligning the hand wouldn’t have been sufficient anyway.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 18th March 2023 at 19:35.

Master
    Blog Entries
    That's even pissing me off vicariously. Get it fixed cos I can't handle it ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    That's even pissing me off vicariously. Get it fixed cos I can't handle it ;-)
    Yup

2) I’d rather have a new watch that's then serviced to one thats just come off the production line.

Edited to add - in my case the subdial hand in question was creeping, so just aligning the hand wouldn’t have been sufficient anyway.
    I had the same issue on a 105.003 many years ago, apparently it was quite a common problem with the 321.

Lovely thing all the same and I’d love another some day.

Sanjay

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

One comment to add to this. As the case has been opened to fix the hour hand issue, the manufacturers usually push for a full service.

I've had issues with a new Zenith EP, an Omega Planet Ocean and a Zenith Pilot (Extra Special). All were serviced as part of the customer service experience.
    Last edited by j111dja; 18th March 2023 at 22:37.

Red face Sorted at last!!

Well in the interests of closing this thread out, I went to the Omega Boutique in Oxford Street (London) with my watch and fully expected them to have to send my 321 off to Bienne to resolve the problem.

However, they had one of their senior watchmakers on-site and in 20 minutes or so he had taken a look at the offending sub-dial and re-set the hour hand perfectly. Elated is an understatement as I had been expecting to be without my watch for at least 6 months!

He did say however that if the problem recurs (he hopes not), then the watch will need to go for a full service under warranty.

Great customer service from Omega. :)

Grand Master
    If he had the watch for 20 mins he’s removed refitted the hand, pressing it on firmly. I suspect it’ll be OK, but he hasn’t had chance to fully test it in 20 mins!

What’s the most rigorous test? I’ll let you figure that out but here’s a clue: it’ll take 6 hrs and ideally should be done twice!

Trust me, I don’t make this up. My gut feeling says it’ll be OK but I suggest the reset is checked after tge hr hand has moved around the dial. If its right its likely to stay right.

Thanks - I'll be testing it fully today. :)

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    If he had the watch for 20 mins he’s removed refitted the hand, pressing it on firmly. I suspect it’ll be OK, but he hasn’t had chance to fully test it in 20 mins!

What’s the most rigorous test? I’ll let you figure that out but here’s a clue: it’ll take 6 hrs and ideally should be done twice!

Trust me, I don’t make this up. My gut feeling says it’ll be OK but I suggest the reset is checked after tge hr hand has moved around the dial. If its right its likely to stay right.

Ran the chrono for over 6 hours and it reset perfectly. :)

Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    Thanks - I'll be testing it fully today. :)

Great news

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk