closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Rugby world cup 2019

Master

Rugby world cup 2019

It starts today people!

Im im Japan, will be going to six games, starting with England - USA next week. Anyone else buzzing?? If any tzers are in Japan itd be fun to meet up.

As a neutral supporter (swede) im hoping Wales win it. Anyone but NZ will do tbh...

I think it’ll be a NZ SA final. As an Irish supporter we will meet one of them in the quarters (assuming we qualify) and that’s where our RWC will end!!

Would be nice to have a northern hemisphere winner but I just can’t see it happening

Can’t wait to watch it all though!

I plan to watch every game
    Yes every game...
    The virgin box is set to record them all.
    Finishing work at 11 today to make sure I catch the first one.

Friends flew out this week.
    I'll be there next week.
    Cant wait!

Sent from my moto e5 using Tapatalk

The Recorder has been set for "series". Although I will watch the England games live.

I dont think NZ are the same team as it was under Richie, but they should make it through. As for the other finalist SA look very good as to Australia. Of the Northern Hemisphere teams I would say England are favourites with Ireland close behind.

After a very poor 2015 WC I really hope that England/Eddie Jones can do the business. Especially after winning the Cricket World Cup

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Anyone know if ITV/STV repeat the games in full later in the day? I'd like to watch the likes of Australia v Fiji but don't fancy a 0545 start to do so

I know they'll likely be on catch-up but ITV always seem a day behind with that (going by the TDF highlights anyway)

Ireland v Scotland with breakfast on Sunday morning too. Excellent

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I’m buzzing for it! Going to have the games on while at my desk!

I’m predicting England v Ireland final

As an England fan I really hope they can win it, but I fear they are not mentally agile enough to make the right changes to the gameplan when the going gets tough. They have been wrong-footed too many times recently.
    But I hope I am wrong.
    When they get onto the front foot they look properly dangerous (first warm-up games vs Wales or Ireland??).
    Looking forward to some great matches, and I really hope Japan can do well as host country.

I do not think that anyone, even the All Blacks, look as dominant as they once did - so I believe it is up for grabs by whomever can rise to the occasion, and still keep their gamechangers in the final stages.

D

England fan here but hoping the All Blacks can make it 3 in a row as that would be unprecedented. Should be a very open World Cup - 4 teams could win it

I asked Robert Howley who he’d put his money on...
    Last edited by OldHooky; 20th September 2019 at 12:17.

Wales fan here. I still think six teams can win it, but they fall into two groups of three. The three most likely to win it in no particular order are South Africa, England, and the All Black's, with Ireland, Wales, and Australia bringing up the rear, again in no particular order. Watching the itv opening ceremony programme as I type. Very very excited.

Thanls for the comment re Wales 744ER. Any all Northern Hemisphere final would be magical, but can't quite see it happening.

Is it on itv only ? Any 4K coverage available ?
    Looking forward to the the early pub session Sunday
    Andy
    Come on England

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    I still think six teams can win it, but they fall into two groups of three. The three most likely to win it in no particular order are South Africa, England, and the All Black's, with Ireland, Wales, and Australia bringing up the rear, again in no particular order.
    If that's six of the eight quarter-finalists, who will the other two be?

I'm looking forward to the tournament in general, but with some trepidation concerning my team, Scotland, whose best hope is a series of typhoons on the days of their matches!
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post

I'm looking forward to the tournament in general, but with some trepidation concerning my team, Scotland, whose best hope is a series of typhoons on the days of their matches!
    I'd like to see Scotland there, quarter's not unrealistic?

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    I asked Robert Howley who he’d put his money on...
    His flight home landed at 12:50 today, or as he would rather put it, 10/1.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post

Scotland's issue is consistency. On their day they can beat anyone. On their day they can also lose to anyone. I'd fancy them for the quarters at least though

Master
    Fingers crossed for England, strong and powerful, just hope there is enough guile and skill there when needed, would be a great WC double if they pull it off.

I support Ireland but think it's nonsense a couple of "friendly" wins and they are no 1 and the team to beat. But that being said with a NZ w/o mccaw they are beatable as proven since. So why not Ireland. England if there maturity levels are maintained stand a good chance. 5 teams could win, the usual. I Got Australia in the work pool draw, as possible as NZ, Wales, Eng or Ire. Roll on the knock out stages.. Not much to see until then, albeit 1 upset... It won't be Ireland...Russia and Japan..such a poor test.. May hurt them against next round.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

What a wonder if it was, the northern hemisphere in my opinion has the smallest of edges in that battle.. (Wales, Ireland, England, (Hogg:)) v Aus, NZ, SA... Its no coincidence after what I said that Wales, England could have been no 1 in leui of Ireland.. Wales were for a week. So time for a Northern Hemi final.. Good shout worth a cheeky bet :)
    Quote Originally Posted by strell View Post
    I’m buzzing for it! Going to have the games on while at my desk!

I’m predicting England v Ireland final

Master
    For a short time I thought Russia were going to provide a shock, but then Japan settled and Nigel leant a hand? Going to need a month in bed by the end of the tournament, heading for bed soon due to an early start tomorrow.
    Roll on Sunday morning, fingers crossed Scotland turn up with conviction and belief.

Daly at full-back.

I imagine that the Tongan scrum-half will be spending today practicing his box-kicks...
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

SA NZ game a cracker, I hope a sign of games to come, NZ explosive but not great 15m left...

SA a good team this year, I think they will beat some of the Six Nations teams further on in the tourney

Craftsman
    NZ look ominous. Relatively poor but able to strike from anywhere. SA we’re dominant for the first 20-25 but couldn’t score and haven’t got Colby in the game enough.

Both SA and NZ look very dangerous for anyone else, lots of errors from both (first game rust/nerves?), but both could attack hard and from anywhere, and defend superbly.
    France v Argentina, what a cliffhanger, superb advert for the world cup. Think England will be wary of them both, but nothing to worry about too much.
    Last edited by Ruggertech; 21st September 2019 at 13:31.

Master
    Still trying to recover from the cricket World Cup, struggling to get my head around another one.

Managed to watch the NZ SA game which was a cracker. Great to watch NZ go through the gears having been on the back foot for the first 20mins.

France v Argentina looked close too. I drew France in the office sweepstake so hoping they turn up to a couple of games.

Looking forward to seeing how we do tomorrow morning.

To those of you who are there or going I hope you have a great time. Japan is a cracking place and rugby such a friendly game. Four years ago I said I would be there this year but one wedding and one extension (and a few more watches than I probably need) put paid to that idea (piss poor planning).

Tapatapatapatapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    Still trying to recover from the cricket World Cup, struggling to get my head around another one.

Managed to watch the NZ SA game which was a cracker. Great to watch NZ go through the gears having been on the back foot for the first 20mins.

France v Argentina looked close too. I drew France in the office sweepstake so hoping they turn up to a couple of games.

Looking forward to seeing how we do tomorrow morning.

To those of you who are there or going I hope you have a great time. Japan is a cracking place and rugby such a friendly game. Four years ago I said I would be there this year but one wedding and one extension (and a few more watches than I probably need) put paid to that idea (piss poor planning).

Tapatapatapatapatalk
    Pity it is so far, I would go to Japan in a heart beat if it was not SOOOO far

Master
    It's actually not too bad. 11 hours, direct flight...well, from LHR anyway.

After studying the pools and the likely winners/runners up. i have concluded that it might be better to be runner up in their group. If they win it they are likely to face NZ in the semi.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Pity it is so far, I would go to Japan in a heart beat if it was not SOOOO far
    Saving for France 2023 already, and if Scotland don’t go I’ll have a healthy watch fund.

Up a bit early.. 2 hrs to kick off. It will be a good game, Scotland don't just make the numbers up anymore.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Come on Ireland!

Been a disappointing last year or so since the NZ win, but still world number 1

(at least, probably for the next couple of weeks)

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy! View Post
    Come on Ireland!

Been a disappointing last year or so since the NZ win, but still world number 1

(at least, probably for the next couple of weeks)
    Well........

Theyre doing all right so far!!

Master
    Scotland trying way too hard to play their quick game and making far too many mistakes.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Anyone would think Ireland deliberately underplayed in the 6N.. Best immaculate so far

Ireland were very good but flattered but a sub par performance by Scotland
    Russell and Hogg were both made to try and force the game by the Ireland rush defence.
    Shame as I thought it would be a closer game
    The scotts forwards were very poor, out muscled at every breakdown, scrum and lineout
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 22nd September 2019 at 11:04.

Blog Entries
    Very poor Scotland display , flattered Ireland .

Ireland in the first half were immense.. any team would have struggles. Bad game or forced into mistakes by dominant play..its a bit of both from my exoeruence. The rush defense is nothing new, but Ireland did it well

Re my post #14:

You can see why I was trepidatious! Scotland were poor from 1-23. Tactics wrong; fitness levels worrying: Townsend found out (again & again).

A couple of other points about the tournament so far:

1. You'd think the host broadcaster would be able to keep up with substitutions/temp. replacements. Seems they can't.

2. Refereeing standards dire in the three games I've watched. Despite assurances that parts of the game would be rigorously policed (offside line, scrums, contact areas etc.), it doesn't seem to be happening. This morning, Barnes seems to have been made aware of what Garces & Gardner didn't do yesterday, but he gave up after about twenty minutes (it didn't affect the outcome, TBF). For a showpiece event, wanting to appeal to non-afficionados, just not good enough.
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Great start to the day, match was over after 20 minutes - attention switches to this afternoon’s football now.

The Orcs looking sub par - All Blacks stuck 90+ on Tonga a couple of weeks ago. Too much kicking and trying to take on Tonga at the physical game. Hopefully Orcs can cut loose in the 2nd half

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by numberjack View Post
    Very poor Scotland display , flattered Ireland .
    We were dire, Ireland did as just much as they needed to, no more.

Concerned about Watson’s knee, need him in an Edinburgh shirt.

Too many handling errors by the Orcs. Whatever happens in the rest of this game I've seen enough to know England won't win the World Cup playing like this so no point pretending it will happen. Might get to Semis but Ireland, Boks or All Blacks will smack them out
    Last edited by ryanb741; 22nd September 2019 at 12:44.

Master
    Agreed. A frustrating amount of handling errors. Not what you want to see if they want to be considered amongst the favourites.

Dear God this is tedious. Must be like what being a Newcastle football club fan is like. Fumble, kick, fumble, telegraph move, fumble, kick. Rinse and repeat. Yawn!

Job done, you don't win anything in the first match so no great concern in my book. Great stadium spoilt by the hordes of gobby Aussies everywhere [IMG][/IMG]

I think that for England, coming away from that with a bonus point win, restricting Tonga to one penalty is pretty good, especially when you consider we made over a dozen handling errors and conceded a dozen penalties.
    Some pretty good line breaks were made too.
    Another run out against USA next week before the really business of the group for England, France and Argentina.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I think that for England, coming away from that with a bonus point win, restricting Tonga to one penalty is pretty good, especially when you consider we made over a dozen handling errors and conceded a dozen penalties.
    Some pretty good line breaks were made too.
    Another run out against USA next week before the really business of the group for England, France and Argentina.

Spot on, plus they avoided any injuries. Tonga are a good side with most of their players playing in the prem or French leagues - so not mugs. To score 4 try's was impressive, but to only concede 3 was even better. The USA should provide a good test, but the real match will be against Argentina, if they win that then irrespective of the France game they are through to face Australia or Wales.

Ireland did a great job today, however it's still a bit early to assess their form, simply because Scotland, (who will struggle to beat Japan), were so poor. The biggest question is can we see Ireland beating South Africa in the quarters?

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Spot on, plus they avoided any injuries. Tonga are a good side with most of their players playing in the prem or French leagues - so not mugs. To score 4 try's was impressive, but to only concede 3 was even better. The USA should provide a good test, but the real match will be against Argentina, if they win that then irrespective of the France game they are through to face Australia or Wales.

Ireland did a great job today, however it's still a bit early to assess their form, simply because Scotland, (who will struggle to beat Japan), were so poor. The biggest question is can we see Ireland beating South Africa in the quarters?
    How can you say this? Tonga shipped 92 points against New Zealand and 44 points against Japan in the past month. England were abject. The good thing is it was a gimme match and not a crucial game but they need to get better