closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Extension ladders?

Extension ladders?

I'm shopping around for a 28' extension ladder. One choice is fibreglass vs. aluminium. Apart from not conducting electricity (which I don't see as an important factor), is there any other reason to consider a fibreglass one? The ladder won't get a lot of use and when it does, it'll be only for light household maintenance (like clearing gutters).

Blog Entries
    An aluminium triple extension every time for me, easier to store,handle and a better fit on my van.
    I’ve used fibreglass and they seem fine but never made me change from an aluminium, mine is probably 10 years old and it gets used most weeks, it’s still fine with no flex in it at all. £100 - £140 should get you one that will last you a long time

Master
    Blog Entries
    Costco have aluminium ones in stock pretty much all the time if that's of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    An aluminium triple extension every time for me, easier to store,handle and a better fit on my van.
    I’ve used fibreglass and they seem fine but never made me change from an aluminium, mine is probably 10 years old and it gets used most weeks, it’s still fine with no flex in it at all. £100 - £140 should get you one that will last you a long time
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Costco have aluminium ones in stock pretty much all the time if that's of interest.
    Great info, thanks. I'll check out Costco, didn't think of them for ladders. :)

I have a fibreglasss one, and it is great, but it is too heavy, the aluminium alternative is much lighter, as they are hollow section rather than a solid channel.
    Unless you need the leccy isolation, go alu every time.
    D

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I have a fibreglasss one, and it is great, but it is too heavy, the aluminium alternative is much lighter, as they are hollow section rather than a solid channel.
    Unless you need the leccy isolation, go alu every time.
    D
    That's what I wanted to know--whether there was any benefit to fibreglass that I wasn't aware of. Great.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Last edited by sprite1275; 13th May 2019 at 21:07.

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    Other than for a sparky I would go with a commercial grade alu ladder every time, even for domestic duty; some of the domestic grade ones are total tosh. I have just sourced a Zarges 3way alu ladder at work and the quality is very good given the reasonable cost.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Nuttington View Post
    Other than for a sparky I would go with a commercial grade alu ladder every time, even for domestic duty; some of the domestic grade ones are total tosh. I have just sourced a Zarges 3way alu ladder at work and the quality is very good given the reasonable cost.

Agree with this, I have a set of 3 way Ali Zarges ladders on the van and within the company we have about 6 sets including some monster 4m 3 ways. Even as an electrician I don’t really feel the need for fibreglass ladders they’re heavy and can cause splinters and get damaged by UV if left outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I have a large 2 way aluminium ladder which I bought nearly 40 years ago. It still looks new and is in damn good condition. To me, it is the perfect ladder due to its light weight.

My neighbour has a wooden one which he reckons is more stable and less prone to slippage. It is bloody heavy though.