closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any pre-Brexit EU buying plans?

Any pre-Brexit EU buying plans?

With just 9 weeks to go (E&OE and assuming I haven't blinked and missed yet another delay!), I'm wondering whether to purchase a couple of items I've had my eye on.
    Reason being there is a possibility that Import Duties may start to be applied to goods from the EU once we Brexit.
    It's far from clear what will actually happen, but if we fail to agree on a deal to retain relatively free trade, then import duty is likely to add 10-15% to purchases from the EU, so it could make sense to bring forward any purchases...

Setting-aside the bearpit-worthy politics, has anyone made plans to buy from the EU while the going's good?

Blog Entries
    No. Why buy from EU when UK has cheaper prices - given the crap pound xchange rate. Maybe buy at the airport at a discounted price, that applies even if you fly outside EU (except for certain brands) so no change there.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    No. Why buy from EU when UK has cheaper prices
    Depends on the brand I guess - I've rarely found what I want in the UK at the best price, even factoring in buying through dealerships. I've yet to dip a toe into the barmy world of Rolex, Omega etc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Depends on the brand I guess - I've rarely found what I want in the UK at the best price, even factoring in buying through dealerships. I've yet to dip a toe into the barmy world of Rolex, Omega etc.
    What brands are you interested in? Perhaps we can ‘chat’ about watches rather than Brextit

Brextit
    Naughty...

What brands are you interested in?
    I'm a typical watchnoob - totally random scattergun of Must Have All The Shiny at present.

I am honestly a little surprised no-one seems to be considering the potential effect of likely cost rises mind. Guess ye're all too rich to give a stuff!

I thought everything would stay the same until the end of the year, so no rush. Most of my purchases recently have come from the US and Japan, so it doesn't really affect me. I always keep an eye on EU based sales just in case anyone is selling anything that I want.

Craftsman
    I think it is mostly coming the other way at the moment, as a result of GBP being worth comparatively little at the moment. Most of the bites I had on my E46 M3 were from the continent and indeed a chap from Germany is coming to collect it in the next couple of weeks. Having said that, we are probably selling our place in Sweden and SEK has done even worse recently...so that's painful!

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    With just 9 weeks to go (E&OE and assuming I haven't blinked and missed yet another delay!), I'm wondering whether to purchase a couple of items I've had my eye on.
    Reason being there is a possibility that Import Duties may start to be applied to goods from the EU once we Brexit.
    It's far from clear what will actually happen, but if we fail to agree on a deal to retain relatively free trade, then import duty is likely to add 10-15% to purchases from the EU, so it could make sense to bring forward any purchases...

Setting-aside the bearpit-worthy politics, has anyone made plans to buy from the EU while the going's good?
    We enter the transition period when we leave so i would expect really nothing at all to change before 2021...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    We enter the transition period when we leave so i would expect really nothing at all to change before 2021...
    My thoughts exactly ....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Fair point, I've been assuming our cash-desperate government will implement tax and duty changes ASAP, which is actually a pretty stupid assumption given the traditional inability to interface p*ssup with brewery...

---

Quote Originally Posted by SuperVM View Post
    we are probably selling our place in Sweden and SEK has done even worse recently...so that's painful!
    Ouch, sorry to hear that.

I kinda predicted that EU goods would rise by quite a bit for us possibly so I have bought quite a few German goods like watches and boots.

Seriously hope for a trade deal with the USA that slashes import taxes or gets rid of some of them totally.

EU sellers would sell to us without VAT anyway and that would be applied upon entry to the UK. In some countries (eg Germany and Italy) VAT is 21% compared to 20% here.

Most brands are cheaper in UK with the following exceptions;

Panerai - Germany is cheapest
    Grand Seiko - US is cheapest
    Breguet - Russia is crazy cheap, else Germany and Netherlands for 'safe' countries
    Hublot ' US is cheapest
    Ulysse Nardin - Hong Kong is cheapest
    Chopard - US is cheapest

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

If it’s a real Brexit, I’ll just buy local by locally owned companies as much as possible from now on, with a small number of imported purchases like cars, motorbikes, and watches.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    The government has already declared that most goods will be duty free at the end of the transition period. This includes watches. Privately sourced and imported watches from the EU will become subject to VAT at the border so will be 20% more expensive. This assumes that VAT rate does not increase to fill the lost revenue from reduced duty collections. No net change to AD prices arising from Brexit other than potential currency corrections (since a business can reclaim import VAT paid at the end of the current tax month).

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Reversing this.

If I decide to live outside UK, seriously looking at Portugal - I guess this will put an end to buying off TZ then - if I have to add VAT to any import into EU from UK..

This
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57