closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,600 of 1652

Thread: Omega x Swatch

Omega x Swatch

Actually it is just the moonshine gold plated seconds hand that was produced on the February Full moon.

This is a brilliant piece of Marketing guff from Swatch and I am sure there will be plenty of mugs to suck it up!

Master
    Does look cool though

Master
    I mean, it looks ok… but talk about milking it. Would have been better concentrating on providing a decent nato strap.
    Last edited by gorrie; 7th March 2023 at 11:09.

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    Well no, it’s the gold seconds hand, but equally silly.
    Ah, I see...."Moonshine (TM) Gold"...a gold alloy. Wondering how much this gold coloured metal forged on the full moon of February (complete with certificate) will add to the price both new or secondhand from the scalpers. Crazy.

Swatch marketing must be having a good laugh behind closed doors.

A lot of nonsense in press release but does look cool.

Journeyman
    £25 markup for a gold seconds hand...

Omega x Swatch

Quote Originally Posted by dbrickashaw View Post
    £25 markup for a 18k gold PLATED seconds hand...
    FTFY!

Indicative of how little gold is actually involved in the plating process!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out of all the things we didn’t expect when we heard gold and it’s pretty much the same price.

I wonder if the new gold chrono hand will help me time how long it takes for me to bleed out once I’ve been stabbed in the queue.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Out of all the things we didn’t expect when we heard gold and it’s pretty much the same price.

I wonder if the new gold chrono hand will help me time how long it takes for me to bleed out once I’ve been stabbed in the queue.

that ones the best of the bunch for me...

Master
    Doesn’t get me any closer to wanting to buy one - just no appeal for me - but I do applaud the marketing!

Quote Originally Posted by dbrickashaw View Post
    £25 markup for a gold seconds hand...
    The scalpers are already posting them on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/omega-x-s...3/385464286311
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/omega-x-s...3/175641756903

Yours for £2500 and £3000 respectively.
    Last edited by Seiko7A38; 7th March 2023 at 12:17.

Omega x Swatch

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko7A38 View Post

Staggering as I’m wearing mine today and it really is a POS, or a bit of fun, depending on your viewpoint.

£2.5k plastic bit of fun? Not for me. Never done drugs but from the sounds of it £2.5k on coke would be a much bigger bit bit of fun.

Master
    Had missed this part highlighted by Hodinkee. Looks like there may be more releases each month, or perhaps other variants getting the ‘gold plated’ treatment

“ This feels like a teaser to me. In fact, Swatch put a note in its announcement for this watch to stay tuned – maybe even next month. Whether that means that Swatch and Omega are waiting for the next full moon to coat new seconds hands-on special Missions to the Moon models in new cities remains to be seen.”

Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    Had missed this part highlighted by Hodinkee. Looks like there may be more releases each month, or perhaps other variants getting the ‘gold plated’ treatment

“ This feels like a teaser to me. In fact, Swatch put a note in its announcement for this watch to stay tuned – maybe even next month. Whether that means that Swatch and Omega are waiting for the next full moon to coat new seconds hands-on special Missions to the Moon models in new cities remains to be seen.”
    General sale next month on the following full moon.

I now have it in my head as a Twilight watch and want mine signed by R Patz.

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    FTFY!

Indicative of how little gold is actually involved in the plating process!

Still seems better value than the watch.

M

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Staggering as I’m wearing mine today and it really is a POS, or a bit of fun, depending on your viewpoint.
    What camp are you in? Still plastic POS to me. But, definitely a case of each to their own.

Also, please tell me that's not a Barbour Skyfall - I had you above all that TZ vanity fashion sh1t !

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    What camp are you in? Still plastic POS to me. But, definitely a case of each to their own.

Also, please tell me that's not a Barbour Skyfall - I had you above all that TZ vanity fashion sh1t !
    I’m definitely in the POS camp but didn’t want to get robbed of a Rolex if I went to queue up.

I just took my jacket off to see if it was a James Bond version but it’s a plain old Ashby wax jacket.

Shame Barbour don’t make it properly and you have to send it back to the factory for £35 to get the inside of the arms in tartan too otherwise the arm sweat is horrendous.

Journeyman
    I really like my Jupiter, but I got it at retail, whilst I was already in London.

Paying anything over retail, or travelling to get it seems mad to me.

I’m definitely in the POS camp but didn’t want to get robbed of a Rolex if I went to queue up.

I just took my jacket off to see if it was a James Bond version but it’s a plain old Ashby wax jacket.

Shame Barbour don’t make it properly and you have to send it back to the factory for £35 to get the inside of the arms in tartan too otherwise the arm sweat is horrendous.
    World order has been restored on the Barbours, good to know (the slim cuff called out Skyfall to me, but the Ashby must be equally as trendy). I always found Barbour too heavy (sweat inducing) for when out and about at fast pace, so had to avoid (despite some looking good). The irony is, you might stand as much chance being mugged for a Moonswatch as a Rolex in the Swatch Q. Good luck.

Just so happens I'm in London today so pondering heading down to try my luck. Have some concerns it might be complete carnage though! Didn't suppose anyone has popped past and seen if there's a queue yet? Think release is at 6pm?

Also happen to be wearing my moonswatch today.

There's one on ebay being offered at £5K!

I was there earlier but it was just a bunch of people in the queue who looked like they don’t even own watches.

Tried on the new sapphire sandwich and decided it isn’t for me. Figured if I wouldn’t even buy the real one then no chance I’m queuing hours for a fake one.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    World order has been restored on the Barbours, good to know (the slim cuff called out Skyfall to me, but the Ashby must be equally as trendy). I always found Barbour too heavy (sweat inducing) for when out and about at fast pace, so had to avoid (despite some looking good). The irony is, you might stand as much chance being mugged for a Moonswatch as a Rolex in the Swatch Q. Good luck.
    Getting stabbed for a rolex wouldn’t be ideal but for a moonswatch? That would shame your family name.

Scalpers and a few lucky collectors will scoop them up. Omega's contrived distribution plan and continued supply shortages just make them look like a bunch of arses. Certainly doesn't endear them as a brand.

Well, I'm in the queue so will report back

Master
    So they are being sold via Omega, not Swatch this time?

Looks lol there's a pop up in the Royal Exchange. Lots of people in Swatch jackets walking around the queue. Rumours there will be 300-500 watches. I think it's unlikely I'll get one, but they're counting the queue as I write.

That is crazy who in their right mind would be willing to pay that
    Last edited by Balance wheel; 7th March 2023 at 18:48.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    So they are being sold via Omega, not Swatch this time?
    Via back of a fiat 500

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyalVilla View Post
    Looks lol there's a pop up in the Royal Exchange. Lots of people in Swatch jackets walking around the queue. Rumours there will be 300-500 watches. I think it's unlikely I'll get one, but they're counting the queue as I write.
    Best of luck, hopefully there's enough staff to avoid any issues with queue jumping

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

On a positive note it should mean less people queuing up outside the Oxford street or Covent Garden store as they will all be at Bank!

Master
    Another sh!t show no doubt

Well, didn't get one in the end. There were 300 watches in total - probably about 50 in the queue ahead of me when they sold out. In general the queue was fine, though did see one fairly big argument. Thawing out on the train home now.

Craftsman
    Well, didn't get one in the end. There were 300 watches in total - probably about 50 in the queue ahead of me when they sold out. In general the queue was fine, though did see one fairly big argument. Thawing out on the train home now.
    You were probably just ahead of me. Annoyingly they told us we were on the cusp and could get one so waited a bit longer. They could have just said its unlikely and told us to go home. Security guard also told me they had 300.

Lots of security on hand to assist.

Quote Originally Posted by RajLondon View Post
    You were probably just ahead of me. Annoyingly they told us we were on the cusp and could get one so waited a bit longer. They could have just said its unlikely and told us to go home. Security guard also told me they had 300.

Lots of security on hand to assist.
    I think I got there about 430ish, maybe slightly later. Initially one of the security guys said he thought we'd be guaranteed a watch. In fairness, a bit later a Swatch guy told me he'd counted the queue a number of times and it was highly unlikely we'd get one and would need at least 30 ahead of us to drop out. The people in front of me though call BS on that and said they always had more than they say and people would drop out and transactions would fail etc.

Should have listened to the Swatch guy! Could be worse. The poor guy behind me said he'd checked out the queue in Milan this morning and it was too big so flew to London to try here!

The poor guy behind me said he'd checked out the queue in Milan this morning and it was too big so flew to London to try here!
    It just begs the question, why...?

Master
    Fratello drove to Zurich to watch and report on the release - was quite an interesting write up.

https://www.fratellowatches.com/an-e...nswatch-crowd/

Master

Should have listened to the Swatch guy! Could be worse. The poor guy behind me said he'd checked out the queue in Milan this morning and it was too big so flew to London to try here!
    Too much time & money on his hands, wish I was in a position like that !

There are now over 100 listed on eBay, by sellers from Italy, Switzerland and UK.

Highest Buy-it-Now price I've seen so far is CHF 10,000 from a Swiss eBay seller (equivalent to £8955).

Master
    There are now over 100 listed on eBay, by sellers from Italy, Switzerland and UK.

Highest Buy-it-Now price I've seen so far is CHF 10,000 from a Swiss eBay seller (equivalent to £8955).
    I guess if a collector had set their heart on ‘having the full set’ and now this model appears…. But, ouch!

And they have to factor at least the potential of lots of other limited releases through the year…

Unreal isn’t it but it’s been happening with all limited releases of everything over the last 15 years hasn’t it.
    Games consoles, watches, trainers, clothes etc etc…

Some people must just have the latest edition of something and money is no object…

I’m looking for a Mercury version and I don’t live near any of the stores but I’m not paying over the odds so I’ll just go without on this one…

Grand Master
    I’d rather strap a dried up dog turd on my wrist than one of these pieces of plastic crap. Can’t believe folks queue up to buy these things........why?

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Unreal isn’t it but it’s been happening with all limited releases of everything over the last 15 years hasn’t it.
    Games consoles, watches, trainers, clothes etc etc…

Some people must just have the latest edition of something and money is no object…

I’m looking for a Mercury version and I don’t live near any of the stores but I’m not paying over the odds so I’ll just go without on this one…
    The "Prime" effect...

Some people getting serious heart burn over a cheap plastic watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I’d rather strap a dried up dog turd on my wrist than one of these pieces of plastic crap. Can’t believe folks queue up to buy these things........why?
    I got a couple at RRP, they are OK but madness paying over that or wasting any part of your day in a queue. Never tried wearing dog s**t but I’m almost certain I’d rather wear the Swatch.

As to why, not everyone is the same and I suppose some folk have no mind of their own and just want what others want. I picked my 2 up (could have picked nearly all of them up btw) as they are relatively inexpensive, decent looking (IMO) easy to wear on a daily basis and you can have a bit of fun with different strap options. Just my reasons though.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    How do you read the time on one of those?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    How do you read the time on one of those?
    Lolly stick sundial.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder if this will drive the price of the normal moon version up or down?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post

I wonder if this will drive the price of the normal moon version up or down?

Id guess with so few being sold it wont affect the price of the normal Moon. If they do another version every full moon that might change.

The Italian behind me was genuinely interested in the watch and was quite young and not obviously wealthy in any way. He seemed humble and polite. There were lots of young people in the queue who were enthusiastic about the whole thing and I guess there is a bit of a buzz. Maybe they're the luxury watch buyers of the future? There were lots of clear scalpers, but also some really nice friendly, people.

Who's to judge what people get enthusiastic about and want to collect? For many people, especially young people, brands like omega and Rolex are simply not realistically attainable. I remember some of the crappy cars I was enthusiastic about in my late teens because, with some effort and hard work, they were attainable.

Considering the cold and the fact so many didn't get one, there was less grumpiness and cantankerousness than we see on TZ at times ;)