closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula 1 2019

Meanwhile, the world of Carlos Sainz just got worse:

https://www.pitpass.com/64208/Furthe...ents-for-Sainz

Sainz is the first driver to succumb to major component failure this season. One race into the season.

Is this even worse than McLaren's record with Honda? Having to replace the MGU-K, Internal Combustion Engine and MGU-H after the first race implies that there's an underlying problem - have McLaren packaged everything too tightly again?
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Ferrari’s looking quick on a proper race track, shame about the cigarette advertising, interesting interview with Ross Brawn saying the current Cars lose 50% of their downforce when following another car, they are targeting 5% by 2021.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Hamilton complaining about traffic...

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Hamilton complaining about traffic...

And your point is what? Merecedes were out performed all practice by the Ferraris, so it was hardly to shock to anyone (including Lewis) that they are one and two on the grid.

Also can you provide a linky because I cannot find anything about Hamilton complaining about traffic.

What however will be much more interesting is how they finish the race, and more importantly whether Leclerc is asked to move aside for Vettel or whether they are allowed to race - with all the associated risk. Hopefully the latter. It would be nice to actually see a couple of Ferraris actually racing each other.
    Last edited by Andyg; 30th March 2019 at 21:34.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    And your point is what? Merecedes were out performed all practice by the Ferraris, so it was hardly to shock to anyone (including Lewis) that they are one and two on the grid.

Also can you provide a linky because I cannot find anything about Hamilton complaining about traffic.

What however will be much more interesting is how they finish the race, and more importantly whether Leclerc is asked to move aside for Vettel or whether they are allowed to race - with all the associated risk. Hopefully the latter. It would be nice to actually see a couple of Ferraris actually racing each other.
    According to the BBC Sport website, Ferrari have said that they’ll allow both drivers to race without team orders.

Whether or not they actually do is another matter!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    According to the BBC Sport website, Ferrari have said that they’ll allow both drivers to race without team orders.

Whether or not they actually do is another matter!
    The pressure which Vettel appears to be putting himself under might suggest that he for one believes there will be no team orders. Or maybe that's reading too much into it. Either way it should be interesting watching events unfold tomorrow.

I'd put good money on Vettel and Leclerc not being on speaking terms by the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    I'd put good money on Vettel and Leclerc not being on speaking terms by the end of the season.
    ...or possibly even the race.

Only just caught up with quali, a brilliant result for both Ferrari and Leclerc and McLaren must be chuffed as well. Very much looking forward to seeing how the race unfolds.

How broken is Vettel, will the Ferraris take each other out

Good race pace from the Fezza's ATM.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Moto3 just finished with the top 16 within 8 motorcycle lengths.

Fingers x-ed F1 succeeds in limiting loss of downforce for the car behind.

Double Renault DNF with what sounded like major engine issues. Not great for them this early in the race season.

Gutted. Absolutely gutted.

A nail biter to the end, a shame that the wrong driver won.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Double Renault DNF with what sounded like major engine issues. Not great for them this early in the race season.
    And a HUGE present to Ferrari.

Two cars at turn one; stopped, not crashed!!, is not a reason for a safety car.

Leclec deserves his podium, that is not it, but racing till the end it was not. Bonkers as the rest of the race.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post

Shame, but that's racing. Hamilton knows it - last radio message during the 'back slapping' was "we have work to do".

That was interesting...ups and down for more than one driver.

Banned
    Blog Entries

As observed that is racing too.
    Nót so however was the safety car making sure Ferrari was on the podium.

As racing goes it had surprises but more in the wet fart category than rácing wise.

Watching that race I think DRS should be available from the start,

It's good to see the new kids doing well. Is verstappen an elder statesman yet?

What of Williams?

Lots of talk about lack of spares for Bahrain, they really are not in a good place right now. I hope Patrick Head has a positive impact from here on in.

Interesting dynamic at Ferrari now - LC is clearly the man of the moment and I for one hope this continues, Vettel was described by some of the Motorsport pundits as 'making a newcomer's mistake'. Clearly Lewis was pushing him, but I would have thought he has enough races/miles under his belt, perhaps the psyche of Hamilton got to him?

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    It's good to see the new kids doing well. Is verstappen an elder statesman yet?
    You think that he would have learnt to overtake a car without hitting it by now

Not a bad race

Shame, but that's racing. Hamilton knows it - last radio message during the 'back slapping' was "we have work to do".
    Indeed - in order to finish first, first you have to finish and all that. Good to see and hear Lewis talk up Leclerc, I think the Mercedes driver had always been gracious in such circumstances.

As observed that is racing too.
    Nót so however was the safety car making sure Ferrari was on the podium.

As racing goes it had surprises but more in the wet fart category than rácing wise.
    Are you seriously suggesting that the Safety Car intentionally guaranteed Leclerc's podium? There was also some good hard racing out there, particularly between a number of teammates.

Interesting dynamic at Ferrari now - LC is clearly the man of the moment and I for one hope this continues, Vettel was described by some of the Motorsport pundits as 'making a newcomer's mistake'. Clearly Lewis was pushing him, but I would have thought he has enough races/miles under his belt, perhaps the psyche of Hamilton got to him?
    A quick check of the odds straight after the race has Leclerc as 2nd favourite for the DC after Hamilton. Vettel has demonstrated time and time again he can't handle pressure, Leclerc could well show up the German's weakness for what it is this season.
    Last edited by CardShark; 31st March 2019 at 20:39.

To finish first, first you have to finish.

I have not seen the race yet (sounds exciting), but hopefully Leclerc will learn from this, but he is not the first (nor I doubt the last) driver who have had victory snatched from them because of car problems or accidents. What however it has demonstrated is that Mercedes have a very quick and reliable car and Ferrari has an even quicker car, which currently seem less reliable. It had also demonstrated that Vettel might not be the number 1 Ferrari driver for much longer.

In fairness to Lewis I think he is managing his races. He seems more happy these days to tuck in (save the car) and beat his immediate competition, but still had the brains and skill to take his opportunities as and when they occur. The sign of a multiple WDC.

As for Norris - what a prospect.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Are you seriously suggesting that the Safety Car intentionally guaranteed Leclerc's podium?
    You can draw your own conclusion one way or other.

You can draw your own conclusion one way or other.
    Given previous racing accidents with suff in a run off zone it was the correct decision.

Really enjoyable race. The position of the stranded Renault meant the sc had to come out.

Vettel looks a bit broken. No doubting the speed, but falling off the road under pressure.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

As an aside, Ferrari paint choice looks a bit naff IMHO, do not like the current fad of matt/'frozen' paintwork.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    Really enjoyable race. The position of the stranded Renault meant the sc had to come out.

Vettel looks a bit broken. No doubting the speed, but falling off the road under pressure.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Very broken, especially given this seems to be a continuance of his "issues" last season.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Formula 1 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post

As for Norris - what a prospect.
    Not just Norris, WTF has got into McLaren this season?

As others have said, it’s a real shame for LeClerc but Vettel is looking more and more of a spent force. He really does seem to crack under pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Not just Norris, WTF has got into McLaren this season?

As others have said, it’s a real shame for LeClerc but Vettel is looking more and more of a spent force. He really does seem to crack under pressure.
    I think Hamilton has got his number. It's these Ferrari reliability errors which will cost them the Championship. Even at this early stage of the season you cannot drop points on a circuit which favours you - we saw it last year with Ferrari as well.

Master
    I think Leclerc is going to show Seb up this season. Sebastian is fast out front but his race craft leaves something to be desired. Leclerc breezed past him early on and should have won that race easily.
    I felt a bit sorry for him but I think that as long as the Ferrari is reliable, he’s going to get plenty of wins.

Leclerc has one of those unfortunate names that makes presenters and commentators feel an uncontrollable urge to demonstrate their prowess at pronouncing French. So it was an unending stream of 'Char-le-clair'. It hasn't been this bad since Justine 'Ennann' was playing tennis, and Francois 'Ollondde' was president.

Another thing that strikes me is that as Hamilton becomes ever more mature and assured as a driver, his sense of personal style is getting worse and worse.
    Last edited by hogthrob; 1st April 2019 at 09:19.

Leclerc has one of those unfortunate names that makes presenters and commentators feel an uncontrollable urge to demonstrate their prowess at pronouncing French. So it was an unending stream of 'Char-le-clair'. It hasn't been this bad since Justine 'Ennann' was playing tennis, and Francois 'Ollondde' was president.

Another thing that strikes me is that as Hamilton becomes ever more mature and assured as a driver, his sense of personal style is getting worse and worse.
    What is wrong with trying to pronounce someone's name correctly rather than using an anglicised version or worse, as sometimes happens, saying it phonetically? Rather than "an uncontrollable urge to demonstrate their prowess at pronouncing French", might it not be an effort to get it right?

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    What is wrong with trying to pronounce someone's name correctly rather than using an anglicised version or worse, as sometimes happens, saying it phonetically? Rather than "an uncontrollable urge to demonstrate their prowess at pronouncing French", might it not be an effort to get it right?
    Nothing wrong at all with trying to pronounce names correctly. It's just that it seems to be restricted to French names. I haven't heard too many instances of 'Fettel', 'Pereth' or 'Mownussan' for example.

English speakers can't even decide on how to pronounce David Coulthard's name

Isn't it 'Cooltard', like 'retard' (that thing you do to engine timing)?

Lando Norris is named after Lando Calrissian from Star Wars.
    Last edited by hogthrob; 1st April 2019 at 09:52.

Nothing wrong at all with trying to pronounce names correctly. It's just that it seems to be restricted to French names. I haven't heard too many instances of 'Fettel', 'Pereth' or 'Mownussan' for example.
    Ah-ha...I think that we agree. Commentators 'must try harder'.

Isn't it 'Cooltard', like 'retard' (that thing you do to engine timing)?

Lando Norris is named after Lando Calrissian from Star Wars.
    "Cooltard" seems to be the pronunciation that everyone has finally settled on after many years of Cooltard/Coolthard, and Lando certainly appears to be using The Force

English speakers can't even decide on how to pronounce David Coulthard's name
    I seem to remember a story on F1 in the 90's where David was telling Murray Walker it is pronounced 'Coolthard'.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    I seem to remember a story on F1 in the 90's where David was telling Murray Walker it is pronounced 'Coolthard'.
    /me goes and checks it out ... seems that it's Colethard ...

Chris Evans isn't helping with his 'Vuh-tell' contribution.

Master
    Looks like our Charles is a bit of a fan of ‘Allo ‘Allo

https://mobile.twitter.com/charles_l...149253?lang=en

What of Williams?

Lots of talk about lack of spares for Bahrain, they really are not in a good place right now. I hope Patrick Head has a positive impact from here on in.
    Lots of talk about "the long downward spiral" at Williams - they were 5th in the Championship in 2017, and 3rd for a couple of years before that.

Master
    Bad luck for Leclerc, I thought Hamiltons comments were spot on, both about him and to him.

Mercedes clearly have some work to do although I have heard speculation that Ferrari had turned the wick up too high which overstressed the engine.

Leclerc said he was marginal on fuel, it would have been much worse if he had retired completely due to running out of fuel.

Basic mistake by Vettel probably cost him the win given the cicumstances.
    Last edited by JeremyO; 1st April 2019 at 17:08.

The weekend according to Mark Hughes:

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/r...378YTL,28341,1

Leclerc certainly announced his arrival in Formula 1 this weekend, and Ferrari certainly appear to have a new star, so the relationship between him and their €30m+ de facto number 1 driver will take some managing.

Lewis Hamilton has obviously realised the threat from Leclerc,, and was commendably gracious in what was a fortuitous victory, but you have to be in it to win it, as the saying goes.

I'm not sure how track conditions (windy, with sand being blown on to the most abrasive surface of any track currently in use for a Grand Prix) affected things, but there was certainly a lot happening during the race, and it was a good antidote to Melbourne. China will be different again, a few convoluted corners and that unnecessarily long straight, which combine to cause the engineers some problems with set-up. I'm looking forward to the season unfolding, because it seems that Mercedes might have the second fastest car at last.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post

Plenty of detail in that report, and plenty to report on as well.

Ref the potential spark plug issue that sullied Leclerc's race, it was a spark plug failure that pretty much finished off Vettel's title chance at Suzuka in 2017. I wonder if Ferrari will be open about what the exact nature of the failure was?

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post

Leclerc certainly announced his arrival in Formula 1 this weekend, and Ferrari certainly appear to have a new star, so the relationship between him and their €30m+ de facto number 1 driver will take some managing.

Lewis Hamilton has obviously realised the threat from Leclerc,, and was commendably gracious in what was a fortuitous victory, but you have to be in it to win it, as the saying goes.

I'm not sure how track conditions (windy, with sand being blown on to the most abrasive surface of any track currently in use for a Grand Prix) affected things, but there was certainly a lot happening during the race, and it was a good antidote to Melbourne. China will be different again, a few convoluted corners and that unnecessarily long straight, which combine to cause the engineers some problems with set-up. I'm looking forward to the season unfolding, because it seems that Mercedes might have the second fastest car at last.
    If Hamilton manages to win the Championship with being in a slower car over the season it would be some achievement. Ferrari reliability will be a question and how they manage Vettel. I fear Ferrari will tinker too much this season to give Vettel the best chance which could very much backfire.

Master
    It was widely agreed that Mercedes had the second fastest car for the first half of last year.
    Ferrari just failed to capitalise on it.