closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rolex 2021 April 7th Release Thread

Master
    Must say I agree with the chorus of disapproval over the two-tone Explorer. The bling seems to clash with the no-nonsense simple tool watch ethos. Although the price does as well, to be fair.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Does this mean values on 14270 / 114270 will dip?
    Probably the reverse as now they both look like a current model rather than being the old model ....

Return to the 36mm is an unexpected move but I think the 36mm is the best size for the Explorer (as I have one ) ... the gold one is awful and is at odds with the whole concept of the watch but then any precious metal tool watch is an oddity IMHO.

I also note they have returned the text EXPLORER back to the the top half of the dial as it had dropped down on the 39mm.

Also odd that the reference number remains 124270 for the new 36mm and the old 39mm; that has to cause confusion somewhere down the line ...
    Last edited by Montello; 7th April 2021 at 15:00.

Explorer 36mm and green Palm DateJust are really good. Meh to everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Probably the reverse as now they both look like a current model rather than being the old model ....

Return to the 36mm is an unexpected move but I think the 36mm is the best size for the Explorer (as I have one ) ... the gold one is awful and is at odds with the whole concept of the watch but then any precious metal tool watch is an oddity IMHO.

I also note they have returned the text EXPLORER back to the the top half of the dial as it had dropped down on the 39mm.

Also odd that the reference number remains 124270 for the new 36mm and the old 39mm; that has to cause confusion somewhere down the line ...
    The 39mm was 214270.

The new 36mm is 124270 and 124273 for two-tone.
    Last edited by Nagraboy; 7th April 2021 at 15:07.

Master
    Might it be that 36mm is increasingly in demand because it is a size that can work for both men and women....

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagraboy View Post
    The 39mm was 214270.

The new 36mm is 124270
    My mistake ... transposed the digits in my head ...

There’s a lot of ‘meh’s but personally I think it’s been a pretty strong six months for Rolex between the upgrade to the Sub, the release of the new OP line and bringing back the 36mm Explorer.

People say they are arrogant and don’t listen to the watch community but I’ve heard a lot of people wanting the maxi case on the Sub gone, and they did it. There was a lot of clamour for the return of the 36mm Explorer, and now it’s back. And, they often get criticised for how conservative they are as a brand, but they used the OP line to introduce a variety of colours in a variety of sizes. All strong moves.

I’m not sure what else people expect from them within the context of their brand DNA which is to make high quality watches in trusted, classic designs that have become iconic over decades and decades.

They got it a bit wrong when someone said make the Datejust dial look tropical

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sonos View Post
    New hands on the Explorer II it’s all in the details
    true ,but would but i would not spend that kinda money on such a insignificant detail on a set of hands :-), from more than a yard away bet you cant tell the difference anyway.

Master
    I bought my 214270 39mm Explorer in 2014. The RRP was £4150 and I haggled the price down to £3900

Today you can buy the new black 36mm Explorer for £5150. You can bet it will sell well even with no haggling allowed.

That proves that Rolex have got the marketing strategy right.

Two tone Explorer; they’ll be claiming that the first PM watch up Everest was a Rolex next!

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    There’s a lot of ‘meh’s but personally I think it’s been a pretty strong six months for Rolex between the upgrade to the Sub, the release of the new OP line and bringing back the 36mm Explorer.

People say they are arrogant and don’t listen to the watch community but I’ve heard a lot of people wanting the maxi case on the Sub gone, and they did it. There was a lot of clamour for the return of the 36mm Explorer, and now it’s back. And, they often get criticised for how conservative they are as a brand, but they used the OP line to introduce a variety of colours in a variety of sizes. All strong moves.

I’m not sure what else people expect from them within the context of their brand DNA which is to make high quality watches in trusted, classic designs that have become iconic over decades and decades.
    All very true

;)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    I’d like to be the first to propose a tedious “street name” for this one
    “OP Cannabis”

How about The Mary Jane?

Agree about 36mm being the best size. Makes me a bit annoyed they have killed off the bloated 39mm version.

The last thing I want, is anyone thinking that I have bought one of the latest Rolex must have models, when I wear my 114270.😀

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    The last thing I want, is anyone thinking that I have bought one of the latest Rolex must have models, when I wear my 114270.
    Well all 14270 & 114270 owners are now "current" again with old watches ...

Master
    I wonder what the 36mm Explorer ACTUALLY measures. I'm willing to bet its a little bigger than stated.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post

How about The Mary Jane?
    Top notch double entendre

just a hint of comic book reference for the nickname saddos :)

It's a bloody shambles. Rolex need to do more of what the public want, rather than what they think will work. They have simply ran out of ideas because of their own stupidity IMHO.

Journeyman
    36mm Explorer is a stone cold classic.

I'm annoyed I picked up a new 36mm Oyster Perpetual in black in December, umm-d and aah-d over a new OP or a used 14270/114270, and the 126000 was as close as I could get new. Wish I had just waited now....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcamb330 View Post
    As a polar Explorer II owner, I was interested in the re-spin, but am struggling to tell the difference (apart from the new movement). Side by side pics suggest the bezel numbers are slightly larger but thinner and maybe the lugs are a little slimmed down? ( old on left, new on right)

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonos View Post
    New hands on the Explorer II it’s all in the details
    Amazing design decisions with those new hands...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ummar01 View Post
    36mm Explorer is a stone cold classic.

I'm annoyed I picked up a new 36mm Oyster Perpetual in black in December, umm-d and aah-d over a new OP or a used 14270/114270, and the 126000 was as close as I could get new. Wish I had just waited now....
    Yeah I guess that would be annoying ... but you still have a nice watch.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    ;)

That is great news. You mean you order a quartz watch that is hard to sell at a discount and receive an automatic watch that fetches a premium?:-)
    Last edited by RAJEN; 7th April 2021 at 17:18.

Journeyman
    For me the 36mm Explorer is the pick of the bunch and as said above the updates are what I was waiting for and why I didn’t pick up the old 36. Hopefully I will be able to get one.

I also like the Daytona meteorite but out of my price range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    I think the hands on the black face are the biggest change...seems to help with legibility.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    That is great news. You mean you order a quartz watch that is hard to sell at a discount and receive an automatic watch that fetches a premium?:-)
    Ha ha :-)

Great insight from Hodinkee :D

Journeyman
    #firstworldproblems
    Yeah I guess that would be annoying ... but you still have a nice watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Ha ha :-)
    Indeed! With the added bonus that the replacement watch has a dial motif that looks like the background picture on bottles of toilet cleaner :)

Master
    Didn’t Clarkson always say that Porsche designers had the easiest job in the world? The product designer (can’t be more than one) at Rolex must be in with a shout...

Blog Entries
    If it 'aint broke........
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Indeed! With the added bonus that the replacement watch has a dial motif that looks like the background picture on bottles of toilet cleaner :)
    Its a deco palm motif.
    If it had gs on the dial those who are all over birch spring summer autumn winter blueflake snowflake etc would be singing a different tune.

I think its the most interesting element of this years releases which have otherwise been mind numbingly dull.

Journeyman
    I agree with a lot of the comments above the most boring release ever. Not the first being as such, the last releases were also rather 'meh'

Rolex daytona meteorite dial is interesting. I would like to see that in person.

What on earth was the design team thinking on that 'palmjust'

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

It's Aliexpress so plot twist - both are fakes..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    If it 'aint broke........
    I like it that much that I have one myself. But to call it a new model....

Master
    Just wonder who would buy the new/old explorer 2 at retail price of 6,800 now?

And will the grey dealers who have increased the prices from an under retail to over 10k in the last year now come back down to more sensible levels. Surely nobody will pay over retail for these?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post

And will the grey dealers who have increased the prices from an under retail to over 10k in the last year now come back down to more sensible levels. Surely nobody will pay over retail for these?
    The same people paying over retail now.

Most rolex buyers have no idea about w&w

And to think in some parts of the world the doe-eyed would have set their alarms early to be confronted with what amounts to nothing new of note.

So many suckers out there so I’m sure plenty will sell their 1 year old watch and trade up to the new and not improved version for the plaudits from their peers.

I quite like this. Pity it is only 36mm.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post

In the absence of any other sports models being available to buy, and where you need to go on the waitlist for the Explorer and Explorer 2 and Milgauss as well as other models that sat in windows for ages, these will still sell at retail and above in my opinion

Craftsman
    Just playing around with the configurator. Quite like this.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by enndriz View Post
    Was all set to put my name down for one as soon as the ADs opened up again. Looks like that ship has sailed!

Me too. I'd been chatting with my local AD about coming in to put my name down post lock-down. I like the look of the 36mm but have quite large wrists, so don't think it will fly. Maybe one day they'll make a 38mm version...that would be just about perfect.

I’m not a Datejust kind of person but if I were, that palm dial would actually quite appeal to me.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

In the absence of any other sports models being available to buy, and where you need to go on the waitlist for the Explorer and Explorer 2 and Milgauss as well as other models that sat in windows for ages, these will still sell at retail and above in my opinion
    Agree. I've expressed interest, I'll be paying retail...

The palm dial is alright, but I really like this ‘faceted’ pattern in blue. I don’t really need another datejust, but could be very tempted in this configuration - with brushed centre links obviously.

Edit - beaten to it above!

All this outrage for the explorer 2 just makes me want one more. They updated what needed to be updated, better movement, better bracelet, bit of a diet and better process for the hands. And they kept the good points that it already had, steel bezel, great case size, very easy to read.

Some of this backlash makes me think people are upset they won't get a huge markup if they bought one and flipped it in a couple of years.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Craftsman

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jon8oy View Post
    Just playing around with the configurator. Quite like this.
    I loved the previous sunburst dial, but the new faceted blue dial is awesome. This is my pick of the W&W bunch so far!
    Trying to convince the Mrs to let me call the AD on Monday...haha

Personally I prefer the 39mm size of the Explorer 1, but I can recognise why they did it to create a unisex professional model that'll work for smaller wrists. Amazingly I can appreciate both and don't feel the need to rubbish the one I prefer less, a few in this thread could do with taking the same approach.

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post

I agree with this. Seems many just focus on the negatives.

Master
    Palmjust is perfect for weed dealers 😁

Journeyman
    The steel 36mm Explorer is the return of the perfect one watch as far as I'm concerned.

I don't work in design but I can imagine that keeping an existing reference the same in a refresh is, far from being the easiest job in the world, perhaps the hardest. The temptation to change and tinker because you could must be overwhelming. If Rolex thought the look of the Explorer II is just fine as it is then credit is due for their designers who must have exercised great discipline.

The two-tone Explorer is divisive here but, as ever, taste is subjective. I'm sure globally there are enough individuals who can afford this watch and find the look fits their style just right. To put it another way, when I think of some of the crowd that hangs out in the VIP section of the F1 Grands Prix - e.g. what are they wearing!? - they might just be wearing the two-tone Explorer. Spurning this market because it's not what Edmund Hillary (sorry, I mean Tenzing Norgay) would have worn is missing the point.