closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Indoor Rowing Thread

I’m really just after something that will track accurate heart rate under strain (and by default a more accurate indication of calorie burn), and that’s the main requirement - I need to keep my heart rate within a certain range, or rather from going over 200, as it can go a lot higher than what is normal for my age apparently, during very intense cardio. But if I’m buying a device, I’d prefer to have as much practical use as possible from it.

I might take a look at some of the Garmin range in any case.
    It's just a matter of time...

Also, looks like our local gyms will be able to reopen on Monday.

So... what’s the best starting point on the Concept 2 to get the best mid/longer term times. Am I better at doing a number of sprints, and then getting better at being able to keep up that faster pace for slightly longer each time as I get more conditioned to rowing, or am I better just putting in the time?
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    In that case then you should be fine with the chest strap paired to the pm5, it shows the hr while your rowing (I think this is rowing workout mode dependant)

You can also pair your phone/tablet to the pm5 giving a bigger display to monitor hr

Craftsman
    I've been rowing again recently so thought I'd share this erg I did tonight. Double Bogey was ok and I think I could bogey but par a stretch for now.

Bit of fun though, give it a go

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shropshire Lad View Post
    I've been rowing again recently so thought I'd share this erg I did tonight. Double Bogey was ok and I think I could bogey but par a stretch for now.

I like it. Looks like a tough course though!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    I like it. Looks like a tough course though!
    The back 9 were a bit tricky

The back 9 were a bit tricky

Do they have a pitch and put?

Thanks for this. Looks like ‘fun’. Might give it a go tomorrow!

Craftsman
    Do they have a pitch and put?
    I would go 9 holes and aim for 250m per I minute. That's a 2min/500 which is achievable for most. After that you're into crazy golf!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    Thanks for this. Looks like ‘fun’. Might give it a go tomorrow!
    Let us know how you get on if you do it.

Master
    How much attention to you pay to your technique guys?
    I’ve now got a rower and I’ve been watching videos on YouTube (mainly a user by the name of training tall) and he keeps banging on about the right technique.
    I try to keep my form as best I can but I struggle with the old legs-core-arms-arms-core-legs thing.
    Is it REALLY important to get it right? I’m never going to be a competitive rower, I just want to lose weight, increase my fitness and hopefully tone up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I’ve now got a rower and I’ve been watching videos on YouTube (mainly a user by the name of training tall) and he keeps banging on about the right technique.
    I try to keep my form as best I can but I struggle with the old legs-core-arms-arms-core-legs thing.
    Is it REALLY important to get it right? I’m never going to be a competitive rower, I just want to lose weight, increase my fitness and hopefully tone up a bit.
    My understanding is that the 'perfect technique' isn't really important for the purpose you describe. You'll still be burning calories and working your lungs and muscles, even if technique isn't spot on. I think the focus on technique is more about being competitive. Having said that, I think it's worth at least trying to do it right (as you are doing) purely from an efficiency and safety standpoint. You do see some pretty awful strokes in the gyms, but there are probably a lot of perfectly adequate ones for fitness purposes, between there and perfect.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    As jdh says, it's worth trying to do it right but don't get hung up on it. Perfect technique translates to more boat speed on the water but has less impact on an erg.

What type of rower did you buy? Try the draft setting midway and don't be tempted to crank it up to max. If it's a concept, try a draft of around 120 (or around 5 on the numbers).

Warming up correctly helps technique, so when you get on the rower try this:

Sit there upright and row arms only for 1 min. Think about what your arms are doing, keep your elbows tucked in and finish with your shoulders back.

Then introduce body swing. Back straight but not too stiff, shoulders rolling forwards slightly as you get to full reach.

After 1 more minute break at the knees and row with arms, body and quarter legs.

1 more minute half legs.

Over the next minute go to full legs and therefore full stroke.

This is the initial warm up at a rowing club. Avoids injury and helps you focus in what each part of the stroke does.

Some people warm down the same way but I can never be bothered.

Anyway, just about to do 4 x 1500m with 5 mins rest intervals . .

Master
    As jdh says, it's worth trying to do it right but don't get hung up on it. Perfect technique translates to more boat speed on the water but has less impact on an erg.

What type of rower did you buy? Try the draft setting midway and don't be tempted to crank it up to max. If it's a concept, try a draft of around 120 (or around 5 on the numbers).

Warming up correctly helps technique, so when you get on the rower try this:

Sit there upright and row arms only for 1 min. Think about what your arms are doing, keep your elbows tucked in and finish with your shoulders back.

Then introduce body swing. Back straight but not too stiff, shoulders rolling forwards slightly as you get to full reach.

After 1 more minute break at the knees and row with arms, body and quarter legs.

1 more minute half legs.

Over the next minute go to full legs and therefore full stroke.

This is the initial warm up at a rowing club. Avoids injury and helps you focus in what each part of the stroke does.

Some people warm down the same way but I can never be bothered.

Anyway, just about to do 4 x 1500m with 5 mins rest intervals . .

I bought what looks to me like a concept II copy from a place down here in South Wales that sells commercial gym equipment.
    I’ll give that warm up a go.
    Cheers.

Journeyman
    While relaxed technique is ok, be careful to make sure the main drive is still from the legs...trying to generate too much of the power from the core/arms can end up causing a knackered lower back.
    Especially relevant on lower rate stuff.

I would go 9 holes and aim for 250m per I minute. That's a 2min/500 which is achievable for most. After that you're into crazy golf!

Yes, 1 min is my distance and I have the British age group record for it, but I'm a bit like one of those drag race cars - only good for one run before I need a rebuild! 18 repeats looks daunting.

Craftsman
    Yes, 1 min is my distance and I have the British age group record for it, but I'm a bit like one of those drag race cars - only good for one run before I need a rebuild! 18 repeats looks daunting.
    Cool. What's the record for 1min and what age bracket are you in if you don't mind me asking.

Journeyman
    I’ve done a bit of ‘Concept2 stalking’ I reckon we are looking at the male 60-69 lightweight record of 340m, which is pretty flipping phenomenal.

Cool. What's the record for 1min and what age bracket are you in if you don't mind me asking.

Over 60 LW - 340m

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AlexG View Post
    I’ve done a bit of ‘Concept2 stalking’ I reckon we are looking at the male 60-69 lightweight record of 340m, which is pretty flipping phenomenal.
    Ah yes, just replied with that! Thankyou

Journeyman

Ah yes, just replied with that! Thankyou
    Out of interest (as a keen’ish indoor rower myself) how tall are you and what stroke rate did you average for the record?

Out of interest (as a keen’ish indoor rower myself) how tall are you and what stroke rate did you average for the record?
    I'm 5'11". Stroke rate was 52. Tactics...go flat out and hang on!

Over 20km/h. I think. If my Maths is correct.

That is phenomenal.

Craftsman
    I'm 5'11". Stroke rate was 52. Tactics...go flat out and hang on!
    That's a 1.28/500 split from a standing start! Quite something especially as (I think) you must be under 75kg.

That's a 1.28/500 split from a standing start! Quite something especially as (I think) you must be under 75kg.

Yes 1.28.2 average. Reached max rate of 1.26 and held around that for as long as possible. I'm pretty much bang on the weight limit.

Journeyman
    I was expecting you to say you were well over 6’...maintaining rate 52 at a decent pace its good going (kind of stating the obvious with a British record in the bag).

The 1:00 is definitely a ‘fly and die’, there are some interesting strength sessions that could enable you to eek this out a little further - one of them is based on short full power sessions at very high DF, if you are interested let me know and I will dig out the link.

I was expecting you to say you were well over 6’...maintaining rate 52 at a decent pace its good going (kind of stating the obvious with a British record in the bag).

The 1:00 is definitely a ‘fly and die’, there are some interesting strength sessions that could enable you to eek this out a little further - one of them is based on short full power sessions at very high DF, if you are interested let me know and I will dig out the link.

Yes I'd be interested. I haven't really trained for it and have only had two attempts. First was 336 and second was 340. That was just before Christmas. I haven't done it since. I'd love to go for the WR but it's ridiculous. One guy from Canada is head and shoulders above everyone else at 359. I haven't seen any others in the category above 346.

Journeyman
    An increase of 20m would be a big improvement, but if you haven’t done a great deal of training like this it could be achievable, it has to be worth having a crack at it!

This is the article I was thinking about:
    https://peakcentre.wordpress.com/200...g-performance/

I have always concentrated more on the longer stuff, I am only 5’9” and hwt so I have no hope on the sprint distances.

An increase of 20m would be a big improvement, but if you haven’t done a great deal of training like this it could be achievable, it has to be worth having a crack at it!

This is the article I was thinking about:
    https://peakcentre.wordpress.com/200...g-performance/

I have always concentrated more on the longer stuff, I am only 5’9” and hwt so I have no hope on the sprint distances.

Thanks, that's something I'll try when I get back on the rower (waiting for a back niggle to clear)

Can't imagine being able to make up 20 metres (5 will be a stretch) but I like the idea of this kind of training, so fun to try.

It arrived this morning, ordered on the 27th November!

Time permitting I'll hopefully get it assembled today and start getting all the online stuff sorted out.

If anyone fancies the one below it'll be on SC soon!

I've just sold my current one on SC. I have a new one coming, which I was expecting in a week or two, but based on your order/delivery date, may be closer to a month away. No matter, I'll spend the time getting a bit more turbo training in and come back to the rowing with a refreshed back!

Master
    I got myself on the Concept 2 waiting list after breaking my cheap rowing machine. Finally got to order one today, and it should be despatched on 10th May - can’t wait as I have missed my regular rowing slots before tea.

Pete

Craftsman
    Bought a water rower and it arrived last week.
    Best distance for 10 minutes is 1914 metres. Heart was bursting out my chest, getting easier though.

Craftsman
    Thought I’d resurrect this thread as I love my concept 2. Not been using it as much as I’d like but that’s only because the weather has been decent so ive been out and about a bit more and on my road bike instead.

I’ve only been “erging” a couple of years but I like to work my way through different distances and try to PB it then move on the the next one….so after I set my 5km I knew I’d be close to 2k fitness. I got that recently and now I’d like to work on my 500m. Has anyone got sprint distance specific sessions I should try? I do quite a lot of 500m/1min rest intervals….but those are normally at 2km pace (approx 1:45). I think I need something sorter and quicker. I’ll try that golf game above but 18 rounds sounds too much if I’m going full intensity

Craftsman
    When I was rowing we used to do 8x500m full intensity - you rest while your partner does theirs and an extra minute or two after the 5th. Someone was always sick so not sure I’d recommend it

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post
    When I was rowing we used to do 8x500m full intensity - you rest while your partner does theirs and an extra minute or two after the 5th. Someone was always sick so not sure I’d recommend it

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Yes that sounds pretty tough. I’d enjoy it afterwards though.

The concept 2 online logbook is great if you have access to a machine with PM5 monitor and the ergdata app on your phone. It helps keep me motivated and I know what to target each session. Plus all your records will be kept on there and you’ll be able to see how you compare to others in the online rankings.

I’m going to try beat my 500m and 1 min efforts then go back to my 1 hour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Shorter max power sessions should help, I posted a link a few posts above.

And when you are going for a shorter distance PB like these go with higher rate, my 500m PB is at 40SPM and 1:00 at 44SPM. I am passed my best but if I was going for a PB now I would probably try to increase rate for these distances.

Also play with higher DFs, I do practically everything at 110 these days, but found that a higher DF works well for this shorter stuff.

As a reference point my 1:00 PB is 351m (at age 49), while I am not one of the quick guys for this shorter stuff, I think it shows that the approach I described can give a respectable result.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ManCityDG View Post
    Yes that sounds pretty tough. I’d enjoy it afterwards though.

The concept 2 online logbook is great if you have access to a machine with PM5 monitor and the ergdata app on your phone. It helps keep me motivated and I know what to target each session. Plus all your records will be kept on there and you’ll be able to see how you compare to others in the online rankings.

I’m going to try beat my 500m and 1 min efforts then go back to my 1 hour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How do you find your lifetime bests? I’ve been searching and can’t find mine !

Craftsman
    Scrap that ! Found it lol

Hi all,

I've finally got sorted with some data logging for my WaterRower, so will hopefully be able to chip in to this thread from time to time and maybe get some encouragement.

In seeking out the right hardware, I found that WR lags behind C2 in letting customers find out information about what their products can do, and it wasn't the easiest process to navigate... so if any WaterRower users want any information on my setup, I'll be happy to help if I can. I opted for the WR ComModule and a Polar Verity Sense both feeding the WR Connect app on iOS, and have to say that while still in the early stages, it's proven great so far.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Hi all,

I've finally got sorted with some data logging for my WaterRower, so will hopefully be able to chip in to this thread from time to time and maybe get some encouragement.
    Sounds interesting. I have never used a water rower, how does it compare to the C2?
    I have a dynamic (also made by Concept2) and despite it having the same monitor etc as the ‘normal’ C2 it requires a different approach (more strokes per minute for the same pace), sprints are fun on the dynamic…max stroke rate is well into the 50s (I max out at low 40s on a normal one)!

Sounds interesting. I have never used a water rower, how does it compare to the C2?
    I have a dynamic (also made by Concept2) and despite it having the same monitor etc as the ‘normal’ C2 it requires a different approach (more strokes per minute for the same pace), sprints are fun on the dynamic…max stroke rate is well into the 50s (I max out at low 40s on a normal one)!
    Can’t really comment on WR vs C2, save that I preferred the sound, quietness, feel of the stroke on the WR. The C2 is a rock solid bit of kit though and I’ve always been impressed by them - last sat on one in a decathalon at the start of last year, just before they all vaporised under the weight of the lock down demand ;)

Quick resurrection of the thread now the worse weather/darker nights are descending.

Did no rowing through the summer, but back into it a bit now over the last few weeks. Working on short duration and intervals at the moment with a view to nicking the only other record I don't have which is open to someone with no aerobic capacity.

Also been experimenting with rowing without straps, which was easier than I expected.

Anyone else getting back into it or carried on through the summer?

Journeyman
    with a view to nicking the only other record I don't have which is open to someone with no aerobic capacity.
    😆 which one is that?

I’ve been training properly again since April. I’m starting to build some decent speed, but I’m nowhere near record territory!

I’ve never stopped, 10k a day 6 days a week but not a chance of breaking any records!

 which one is that?

I’ve been training properly again since April. I’m starting to build some decent speed, but I’m nowhere near record territory!
    Got the one minute record at the end of last year and now trying for the 100m record. I actually equaled it three times yesterday so it's within reach.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    I’ve never stopped, 10k a day 6 days a week but not a chance of breaking any records!
    Excellent, do you feel you're getting fitter. Any impact on bodyweight? (I don't know whether that's a goal)

The secret to breaking records is threefold:

1. Find one that's soft

2. Find one that requires simple brute force and no technique or fitness

3. Get old

Craftsman
    Try snd do 8k to 10k per day 5-6 days a week but that was coupled with marathon training

Did a half marathon 10 days ago but was 9 mins slower than my previous best

Anyone doing the current team challenge ? I’m signed up to Born in 1979 and was leading cor a bit but someone hadn’t been logging there rows and has now posted 370k odd since 15 th sept so averaging 20k a day . I don’t have enough time on my hands for that lol

Still love my concept, I use it more for just a good cardio workout and to keep the weight down . Not close to breaking any records but in top 10% for most events in age group .

I was quite pleased with my 2000 meter time of 6 mins 50 until I saw the records!

Quote Originally Posted by PAM580 View Post
    Try snd do 8k to 10k per day 5-6 days a week but that was coupled with marathon training

Did a half marathon 10 days ago but was 9 mins slower than my previous best

Anyone doing the current team challenge ? I’m signed up to Born in 1979 and was leading cor a bit but someone hadn’t been logging there rows and has now posted 370k odd since 15 th sept so averaging 20k a day . I don’t have enough time on my hands for that lol

Still love my concept, I use it more for just a good cardio workout and to keep the weight down . Not close to breaking any records but in top 10% for most events in age group .

I was quite pleased with my 2000 meter time of 6 mins 50 until I saw the records!

Because weight loss isn't a goal at the moment, I've never really got into the endurance efforts. Plus I find it painful and boring. Doing 10k a day and marathon training must be very hard and I'd imagine the rowing efforts probably negatively impacted on your half marathon a bit. I think you need to really specialise in one thing to maximise performance, although your overall fitness and strength will be better for the variety. 6 mins 50 is really good, but as you say, the records are on another level.

Craftsman
    I should add that on any distance over 2.000 metres im normally binging on a Netflix series while rowing, that’s the beauty of it and takes the boredom away.

Sometimes I’ll do 1000 metres intense, 1000 lighter or 500/500 to mix it up a bit .

I’ll happily row a half marathon on it while watching a film or few episodes of something

Quote Originally Posted by PAM580 View Post
    I should add that on any distance over 2.000 metres im normally binging on a Netflix series while rowing, that’s the beauty of it and takes the boredom away.

Sometimes I’ll do 1000 metres intense, 1000 lighter or 500/500 to mix it up a bit .

I’ll happily row a half marathon on it while watching a film or few episodes of something

You see that's the difference with someone who has the type of aerobic capacity to run marathons. I wouldn't be able to hear the film over my breathing or see it through the sweat!

Fantastic that you're attempting another record, J.

It has given me a boost just reading about your plans.