closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Review: Forstner Klip

Review: Forstner Klip

The Forstner Klip is basically a pretty damn near perfect copy of the old Gay Freres ladder bracelet, i.e. links spaced like a Bonklip but it doesn't fold back on itself but just threads through like a "normal" (i.e. buckle) strap. At the end of what would be the “tail" section is a spring-loaded clasp that clips through the links. This means there's no "upside down" section like on a Bonklip (which, of course, gets re-inverted to right side up when you pull it back on itself.) However, the reverse pull dynamics of the Bonklip is also pretty neat design as it means you are tightening it against itself when you do it up.

The "clasp" (if that's the word) is a joy. No issues with the twin buttons on it catching or gouging. Much better than the friction fit on the old Bonklips and Gay Freres.

The original vintage Gay Freres sell for a lot of money because the bubbleback boys (and girls) love them. Personally I don't think they are "all that" and not a patch on Bonklips in terms of quality or design. They are also hard to get in larger lug widths. The Forstner Klip comes in a variety of endlink / lug widths but all have the 18mm bracelet, which is perfect imho and will keep manufacturing costs and therefore retail price down.

The main "ladder" is well made and very well finished: brushed links and polished connecting / edge pieces. Endlinks are very nicely done in a matching mix of polished and brushed. No sharp or rough edges anywhere.

This, though, is a serious contender: light, comfortable, adjustable. It's very well made and has a sprung clasp for much more positive (and secure) fixing.

My photography skills are pretty poor and there's lots of pictures online.

Verdict: Recommended!

PS I also note that they do a sprung rivet Oyster-style bracelet, which is my favourite band ever. I’ve been hoping for ages someone would remake that. And who better than Forstner? They’ve got the pedigree!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    The Forstner Klip is basically a pretty damn near perfect copy of the old Gay Freres ladder bracelet, i.e. links spaced like a Bonklip but it doesn't fold back on itself but just threads through like a "normal" (i.e. buckle) strap. At the end of what would be the “tail" section is a spring-loaded clasp that clips through the links. This means there's no "upside down" section like on a Bonklip (which, of course, gets re-inverted to right side up when you pull it back on itself.) However, the reverse pull dynamics of the Bonklip is also pretty neat design as it means you are tightening it against itself when you do it up.

The "clasp" (if that's the word) is a joy. No issues with the twin buttons on it catching or gouging. Much better than the friction fit on the old Bonklips and Gay Freres.

The original vintage Gay Freres sell for a lot of money because the bubbleback boys (and girls) love them. Personally I don't think they are "all that" and not a patch on Bonklips in terms of quality or design. They are also hard to get in larger lug widths. The Forstner Klip comes in a variety of endlink / lug widths but all have the 18mm bracelet, which is perfect imho and will keep manufacturing costs and therefore retail price down.

The main "ladder" is well made and very well finished: brushed links and polished connecting / edge pieces. Endlinks are very nicely done in a matching mix of polished and brushed. No sharp or rough edges anywhere.

This, though, is a serious contender: light, comfortable, adjustable. It's very well made and has a sprung clasp for much more positive (and secure) fixing.

My photography skills are pretty poor and there's lots of pictures online.

Verdict: Recommended!

PS I also note that they do a sprung rivet Oyster-style bracelet, which is my favourite band ever. I’ve been hoping for ages someone would remake that. And who better than Forstner? They’ve got the pedigree!
    Nice review Ollie. I've got one on my Smiths Navigator & it works beautifully.

Is it designed to work with fixed bars? If I could get it on I'm not sure I'd be able to get it off again!

Good review, thanks. I have one on a Bulova A15 reissue and it looks perfect, “Looks OEM’ as one friend said.

I’m very impressed with the Komfits and their Beads of Rice too.

Excellent service from Vintage Speedmaster, the UK dealer, where I bought them from.

Regards

Jon.