closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Curious; Call Centres / Companies Banning Hands Free Calls?

Curious; Call Centres / Companies Banning Hands Free Calls?

Just wondering if this is the start of a new directive? I’ve made 2 calls using voice recognition/built in hands free in the past few weeks... one was to Waitrose to question an online delivery, today was to Barclaycard.
    Both occasions, they said they would have to terminate the call if using a hands free device, or if the vehicle was moving - in the case of Waitrose...

Have a missed an update in a change of law? You can still use handsfree device?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hands free is still dangerous,glad they don’t take the calls nor do I if it’s from a vehicle.

SydR
    Certainly not an update to the law but, almost definitely, a change of policy by those companies (and a welcome one at that).

I was told by first direct it struggles with voice recognition when driving

Master
    Not in the car but on the phone to the bank on hands free at home and I mentioned it for some reason and was told I’d have to switch to normal for “data protection”, didn’t seem amused when I said the only other person at home was the cat and I trusted her not to steal my data...

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Hands free is still dangerous,glad they don’t take the calls nor do I if it’s from a vehicle.
    Agreed.... as are all devices, sat nav's Infotainment systems. Even passengers /children....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deanlad View Post
    Agreed.... as are all devices, sat nav's Infotainment systems. Even passengers /children....
    .....radio, heater, air conditioning, talking to passenger, thinking about your tea, scratching your nose, getting a polo mint, looking at anything not dead ahead, operating wiper switch, looking down at your speed/dashboard, eating a Werthers Original (cheapo Toffee Chocolate Eclairs must be allowed) ....in fact driving is probably too dangerous for most of you to be allowed.......
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    .....radio, heater, air conditioning, talking to passenger, thinking about your tea, scratching your nose, getting a polo mint, looking at anything not dead ahead, operating wiper switch, looking down at your speed/dashboard, eating a Werthers Original (cheapo Toffee Chocolate Eclairs must be allowed) ....in fact driving is probably too dangerous for most of you to be allowed.......
    Ha. Fair point.
    We are getting there though, auto wipers, lights. automatic braking, lane assist.. Wont be too long before the car can steer itself...Everyone will be a passenger...

Blog Entries
    Ha. Fair point.
    We are getting there though, auto wipers, lights. automatic braking, lane assist.. Wont be too long before the car can steer itself...Everyone will be a passenger...
    I know, my car is probably more in control than I am!! Just looking at it's replacement for next year and the tech in some new models is pretty amazing. Just hoping they'll come up with one which will unwrap my sweets and fill itself up with diesel/petrol/leccy.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Just lie to them in future.

I did some work for a customer who also had similar rules so if driving they would cut the call.

Master
    Wont be too long before the car can steer itself...Everyone will be a passenger...
    Tesla Model 3 on Autopilot crashes into police car

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-50713716

Master
    This may well be about a concern over the security of the “hands free” device i.e. Bluetooth headset, car audio system etc.

Pete

Master
    Just tell them you are in fact a passenger?

I have to answer the phone to customers who are obviously on hands free, using headphones whilst holding the microphone or holding the phone Apprentice style. When you ask them to take you off hands free as the reception is often dreadful they get rather arsey. I guess because the call is being played through a speaker the caller thinks all is ok.

Not a call centre but McDonalds. Before leaving home, I ordered a coffee on the app to collect via the drive-thru on my way to work but for some reason the app chose a different store. But I knew the order/location would correct itself when I ‘check-in’ on the app at the right store. I arrive and park momentarily while I ‘check-in’. I proceed to the drive-thru and was told my order would not be accepted as I was driving whilst ordering.

I point out the order was made before leaving home and I was parked briefly to complete the order. Possibly the change of store may have been confusing but who in their right mind would order whilst driving.

It was annoying only to extent that I might have to get out of my car in this weather and go in store.

Master
    As a truck driver, we are told not to eat or drink while driving, it’s considered driving without due care and attention and I sort of agree with it. Why then are there so many Starbucks/Costa drive through being built now if that’s the case. They are popping up everywhere. Surely a drive through is so as a car driver you can drink tea/coffee while you drive. I can see sometime in the future drinking at the wheel being clamped down on like using handheld devices. Time will tell if the new drive through coffee shops will be successful long term.