closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BBQ - Gas or Coal & Recommendations

Looks a handy size, and if you are not in the wind - the side-gas ring can be very useful. I bought a plancha for my (different make) BBQ, and it heats up well, for searing.

Now - tidy up your toys, or no beer for you!

Master
    Whenever I get a new bbq I always heat it up and place bread all over the grill and toast it. Gives you a good view of where the hotter / cooler parts are.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Whenever I get a new bbq I always heat it up and place bread all over the grill and toast it. Gives you a good view of where the hotter / cooler parts are.

Clever!

I’ve been a bit slow off the mark but the rotisserie has arrived and I’ve got my thermapen, so I’m good to go as soon as I can get organised.

I’ve also just ordered a MEATER Plus from Costco for just £69.

Really appreciate all the advice, now just need to crack on and practice.

Went for gas in the end thanks to a lot of help from Mj2k. Did order a Spirit but the second Matt called it a great starter BBQ my heart sank and I cancelled it immediately.

I got the Genesis II EP-335 which is last year's model so a bit cheaper. Another suggestion from Matt. It's been fantastic and we've used it a few times already including twice for WFH lunches.

Can't believe I didn't buy one last year.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Did order a Spirit but the second Matt called it a great starter BBQ my heart sank and I cancelled it immediately.

I got the Genesis II EP-335 which is last year's model so a bit cheaper.

Can't believe I didn't buy one last year.
    Makes me wish I’d done the same but the Spirit has been ok for me so far.

Did you get the rotisserie? It’s my new favourite thing by a country mile.

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    Makes me wish I’d done the same but the Spirit has been ok for me so far.

Did you get the rotisserie? It’s my new favourite thing by a country mile.
    No, to get the free rotisserie I needed to buy the 2022 version which was an extra £250. I am interested in the rotisserie but I doubt I'd end up using it. Not often with the two of us we'd cook a whole chicken. Does look cool though!

No, to get the free rotisserie I needed to buy the 2022 version which was an extra £250. I am interested in the rotisserie but I doubt I'd end up using it. Not often with the two of us we'd cook a whole chicken. Does look cool though!
    I wasn’t sure but I’ve used it loads, chickens, lamb and pulled pork, probably wouldn’t spend £250 just to get one free though.

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    I wasn’t sure but I’ve used it loads, chickens, lamb and pulled pork, probably wouldn’t spend £250 just to get one free though.
    I'm scared of attachments since I got the pasta bolt on and mince meat bolt on for the kitchen aid right at start of lockdown #1 and still haven't used either.

Master
    I'm scared of attachments since I got the pasta bolt on and mince meat bolt on for the kitchen aid right at start of lockdown #1 and still haven't used either.
    Good to see it is built and ready to go!

Good to read about the pasta and mincer bolt on as have my eyes on those too lol.

Master
    John Lewis have 20% off all Weber gear
    https://www.johnlewis.com/search?search-term=Weber

Been a couple of weeks with the Weber now and already through a 5kg gas bottle. Been using it more than expected and it's been fantastic, can't believe I didn't buy one sooner.

My father in law has his own custom charcoal BBQ which he designed 20+ years ago and had hand built at a metal works. He designed and built a brick/metal one for my sister in law and wanted to do the same for us. He's thinks the Weber is ok but still thinks we need charcoal for "special occasions" - inviting people over for food and using gas is embarrassing apparently.

The hob on the side is actually really useful. Done fish on it and even curry so we don't stink out the house. Didn't expect to ever use it.

I'm a total amateur so don't judge me on these grills alone. I'll be up there with the pros like Mj2k soon enough!

Master
    Looking good mate, time to get some good metal skewers now as makes life so much easier. I’ve got some ‘normal’ thickness ones and then also some really wide ones for using with mince to make koftas etc.

I do agree about charcoal, I use the gas for ease all the time in the week but if I’m entertaining it’s always with the egg & charcoal. If he is considering making one, then accept it!

I found 5kg bottles too annoying and traded one in for a 13kg which is all I use now. Given the way the Weber holds it on the side, it could be a no brainier for you.

Jealous of the side burner, should have done it & reading about curry outside rather than the kitchen stink for 3 days makes so much sense!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have one 10kg now and when the second 5k runs out I'll get a second. I ordered two 5kg back when I ordered the Spirit but when you said it was a "great starter bbq" I cancelled it immediately and got the Genesis that you'd recommended previously.

We had a voicemail and email from Ocado this morning checking in on us as we haven't ordered for a few weeks now. Been going to the local butcher and getting bits while we're out getting meat and haven't needed an Ocada shop. Nice of them but a little concerning!

Been a couple of weeks with the Weber now and already through a 5kg gas bottle. Been using it more than expected and it's been fantastic, can't believe I didn't buy one sooner.

My father in law has his own custom charcoal BBQ which he designed 20+ years ago and had hand built at a metal works. He designed and built a brick/metal one for my sister in law and wanted to do the same for us. He's thinks the Weber is ok but still thinks we need charcoal for "special occasions" - inviting people over for food and using gas is embarrassing apparently.

The hob on the side is actually really useful. Done fish on it and even curry so we don't stink out the house. Didn't expect to ever use it.

I'm a total amateur so don't judge me on these grills alone. I'll be up there with the pros like Mj2k soon enough!

Those things in the middle - What are those?? (thought they were McNuggets at first! )

I often use twin tine stainless skewers (and even take them on hols) as they rotate each chunk of meat or veg on a kebab, together - without fuss.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Those things in the middle - What are those?? (thought they were McNuggets at first! )

I often use twin tine stainless skewers (and even take them on hols) as they rotate each chunk of meat or veg on a kebab, together - without fuss.
    I’d guess halloumi.

We have had a genesis for about five years, it never really gets hot unless you put the lid down and effectively turn it into an oven, the other thing we have found is if you don't keep it clean underneath it can catch fire pretty easily. As an oven it is brilliant, I regularly cook rib joints in it and rotisserie chicken, but as i have already said as a grill it's not great.

Turkish wife so constant hellim (halloumi) and sujuk on the BBQ which is a kind of Turkish pepperoni as they don't eat pork. Comes in a big sausage and you slice it off yourself.

Nice but stays on your breath longer than you'd think so I never have it if I'm in the office the next day.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    We have had a genesis for about five years, it never really gets hot unless you put the lid down and effectively turn it into an oven, the other thing we have found is if you don't keep it clean underneath it can catch fire pretty easily. As an oven it is brilliant, I regularly cook rib joints in it and rotisserie chicken, but as i have already said as a grill it's not great.
    You want to be cooking with the lid down anyway as creates more flavour. Unless your cooking things like bacon as will be charred the instant you turn around. Once preheated with lid down, Ive never had a lack of heat issue when grilling lid open.

If you cook large roasts without a tray, or lots of fatty meats at lower temps the fat can catch fire in the catch pan when later cooking on high heat. I’ve seen it happen with others, but never experienced it myself & rarely have to empty the fat tray until the end of a season.

Turkish wife so constant hellim (halloumi) and sujuk on the BBQ which is a kind of Turkish pepperoni as they don't eat pork. Comes in a big sausage and you slice it off yourself.

Nice but stays on your breath longer than you'd think so I never have it if I'm in the office the next day.
    Ah-hah! I use a lot of Sumak? (Nephew brought me back a huge bag) , and have discovered these Turkish flaked peppers which are rather moresome.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Some great dishes in Turkey.

Ah-hah! I use a lot of Sumak? (Nephew brought me back a huge bag) , and have discovered these Turkish flaked peppers which are rather moresome.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Some great dishes in Turkey.
    We've got sumak and pul biber but I'm not sure on the difference. I think sumak might be flaked in salads but pul biber is definitely a bit hot.

I just asked my wife what the difference was and she said "I think ones a lemon" so I've asked the family WhatsApp instead as that's definitely not true. Lemon is "limon", even I know that.

Pul biber on eggs. Delightful.

You want to be cooking with the lid down anyway as creates more flavour. Unless your cooking things like bacon as will be charred the instant you turn around. Once preheated with lid down, Ive never had a lack of heat issue when grilling lid open.

If you cook large roasts without a tray, or lots of fatty meats at lower temps the fat can catch fire in the catch pan when later cooking on high heat. I’ve seen it happen with others, but never experienced it myself & rarely have to empty the fat tray until the end of a season.

Maybe it is the fundamental difference between Gas and charcoal, its not really a grill

We've got sumak and pul biber but I'm not sure on the difference. I think sumak might be flaked in salads but pul biber is definitely a bit hot.

I just asked my wife what the difference was and she said "I think ones a lemon" so I've asked the family WhatsApp instead as that's definitely not true. Lemon is "limon", even I know that.

Pul biber on eggs. Delightful.
    This is the slightly citrus/bitter stuff for going on salads, (and just about everything if the size of the bag is anything to go by!)

The pepper flakes are milder than chillie flakes but also larger and 'slightly' moist. Can see them being good on eggs.

I have started to use box section aluminium lengths for kebabs, a couple to raise the metal skewers off the grill so they don't burn or stick.
    Find it works well.

Sent from my CPH2207 using Tapatalk

This is the slightly citrus/bitter stuff for going on salads, (and just about everything if the size of the bag is anything to go by!)

The pepper flakes are milder than chillie flakes but also larger and 'slightly' moist. Can see them being good on eggs.
    Yep, got this back.

Pul Biber is actually chilli pepper dried and flaked, sumac is a herb which has a tang

Picked up one of these the other day. Not been delivered yet.

It was £279 when I paid about 10 days ago. Now seems to have gone up to £315.

A bbq loving pal of mine has the bigger version and says they’re good. Seemed great value compared to a Weber Spirit at near twice the price.

https://www.johnlewis.com/char-broil...ilver/p5753593

Anyone else tried one?

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post

A bbq loving pal of mine has the bigger version and says they’re good. Seemed great value compared to a Weber Spirit at near twice the price.

Anyone else tried one?
    Looks good value and better quality than Webber, we were in Van Hage's recently they sell Broil King and webber barbeques side by side., the Broil King ones were much better quality and had more features

Master
    I’ve a Weber Spirit which is six years old and still decent. Just bought a Broil King for my son and to be honest there isn’t very much between them. Both cast iron grills and the quality of the top half’s are equal. I think the paint finish on the Broil King seems a bit better, my Weber’s base has started bubbling.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    I’ve a Weber Spirit which is six years old and still decent. Just bought a Broil King for my son and to be honest there isn’t very much between them. Both cast iron grills and the quality of the top half’s are equal. I think the paint finish on the Broil King seems a bit better, my Weber’s base has started bubbling.
    Get onto Weber, their customer service is fantastic and they will get it sorted im sure.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post

Anyone else tried one?
    I have one and its fantastic. Wouldnt want anything else from a bbq. I have never owned a webber so cant compare but i doubt youd be disappointed with the char-broil.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Can’t wait to fire it up!

That is one clean grill. Are you sure you haven’t just placed the cooked food on it?

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    That is one clean grill. Are you sure you haven’t just placed the cooked food on it?
    I scrub it quite hard and rub oil on the grill each time I use it just before the food goes on

WFH is a dream when you can do a chicken breast on this in your lunch break with some packet rice and veg in the side and no kitchen to clean.

No one secretly microwaving fish either. Unbeatable.

I scrub it quite hard and rub oil on the grill each time I use it just before the food goes on

WFH is a dream when you can do a chicken breast on this in your lunch break with some packet rice and veg in the side and no kitchen to clean.

No one secretly microwaving fish either. Unbeatable.
    I am too lazy and my grill looks like the bottom of a coal mine. That said, nobody has yet died eating my BBQd food.

I applaud your maintenance regime.

Master
    Amazo have the Weber Q2000 for a bargain £256
    I have one and they are great

Couldn't find the correct thread but it's Nov now and still absolutely loving the decision to go gas.

Thankfully Mj2k steered me towards the Genesis andnnot the Spirit as I've cooked for almost 10 people a few times now and the Genesis is the right size.

WFH will never takeoff. I'd much rather be queueing for the microwave or self service till in M&S right now.

A cast iron griddle might go well on that gas Weber as well for making smash burgers or pancakes.

As long as it's dry I try and cook outside, planning on getting a roof over all my bbq are next year so I can be out in all weather.

Master
    Couldn't find the correct thread but it's Nov now and still absolutely loving the decision to go gas.

Thankfully Mj2k steered me towards the Genesis andnnot the Spirit as I've cooked for almost 10 people a few times now and the Genesis is the right size.

WFH will never takeoff. I'd much rather be queueing for the microwave or self service till in M&S right now.
    I burn off my grill after each cook and rub down with a brush, but what on earth are you doing to have them that clean? I am impressed and scared in equal measures lol.

My egg one gets that clean so perhaps need to drop the gas grills in there for a hot clean.

Genuinely interested, given we have the same model!

I burn off my grill after each cook and rub down with a brush, but what on earth are you doing to have them that clean? I am impressed and scared in equal measures lol.

My egg one gets that clean so perhaps need to drop the gas grills in there for a hot clean.

Genuinely interested, given we have the same model!
    This is filthy and I desperately need to clean the underside before the built up fat goes on fire.

The usual for me is heat it up to 500 with nothing on it then give it a scrub with one of those triangular wire brushes with the handle for about a minute, put some folded kitchen towel in a container of cooking oil and then rub it all over before closing the lid for another two mins then putting the food one.

Recently I've been giving it a quick 20-30 second basic scrub once the food is off to see if it makes the next pre-cook clean any quicker or at least encourages the warm fat and oil to fall down into the bin at the bottom but I don't think it makes any difference

I saw a 7 burner Weber the other week in a garden centre and was in awe. You could do catering with that!

Similarly, but slightly different. After a cook, I keep the thing on for 20 minutes full blast with the lid down. I then brush off the crud.

The last set of grids lasted 8 years before rusting and and starting to peel.

Master
    I burn mine off for 20mins post cook and then scrub with the same brush. But get caught in the nooks & crannies.

Never oiled before food going on, might give that a try. Cheers

Master
    Just revive this thread for a PSA
    Weber Q2000 on Amazon for £150- absolute steal for a compact gas BBQ- mine will be performing Christmas Day roasting. 2 large chooks
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weber-53010...c=1&th=1&psc=1
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Just revive this thread for a PSA
    Weber Q2000 on Amazon for £150- absolute steal for a compact gas BBQ- mine will be performing Christmas Day roasting. 2 large chooks
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weber-53010...c=1&th=1&psc=1
    Blimey? It’s £439 on their website

https://www.weber.com/GB/en/barbecue.../53010074.html

Stupid question but do you cook it on the floor? Or is it safe to cook on top of a table?

Master
    Oh no is this going to be another TZ un-needed purchase? 150 seems a no brainier with 5 year warranty.

Master
    Stupid question but do you cook it on the floor? Or is it safe to cook on top of a table?
    Weber forums have people using them on tables, even plastic camping ones. There is a stand for £120 ish.

Cooking on the ground isn’t a fun experience really. My mini egg got used like it once and is always on a table now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Oh no is this going to be another TZ un-needed purchase? 150 seems a no brainier with 5 year warranty.
    Yup it is going to be lol. It’s a brilliant price.

Definitely feels like an impulse TZ purchase

Very tempting

Master
    I did have a cart for mine but sold it
    I have it on this SS unit I bought locally - ideal as it can stay outside all year