closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Nice old Mini

Master
    Blog Entries

Nice old Mini

Just back from picking this up from my customer for its yearly MoT.
    2001, garaged from new.

Best bit though is the mileage...

Just over 4000 from new!

Any one care to guess as to the value? (It's not for sale by the way!)

No idea. I thought £6k at first but then

£10,000

That's a complete guess! Lovely car.

Nice! Must be comfortably north of £15k with that mileage.

I nearly bought an R53 last year, owned by a D-list celeb as a Monaco run around. 5k on the clock - he wanted way over the odds though.

Master
    How many miles has it done in the past 12 months out of interest?

Master
    Blog Entries
    78 miles. However, 12 of those was me picking it up and dropping it off again.

Nice.

I had one in BRG but without the wide boy arches.

I miss everything about it. Except the brakes. Oh, and the rust. Mine had done about 22k miles and was around three years old when I sold it.

Master
    A friend of mine bought one last year, a 1997 R reg with 358 miles on it. Paid £21500.

Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    A friend of mine bought one last year, a 1997 R reg with 358 miles on it. Paid £21500.
    358 as in three hundred and fifty eight?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Yes, just 358. It was originally bought by a local guy for his daughter, who apparently didn't like it, so parked it up in one of his garages (heated of course). The chap passed away last year and the car was one of a few curiosities auctioned off by his widow and daughter. I bid myself, but bailed out after it went above £10k. The whole idea of owning a classic mini (IMO) is to enjoy it on a nice day. This particular car was more valuable because it has never been used. If you start using it, the value starts to drop. I figured a proper old Mini Cooper would be a better proposition.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Lovely mini. I'd guess it's worth around the 20k mark. As above though minis are there to be driven although I only drive mine on dry days. Just a great car to drive.

Mine with 40k mileage

130 thousand miles,
    Mrs R's car, owned from new since August 1997.
    This is a 2010 photo, the car is away for new metalwork and a respray at the moment, but should be looking good when it returns.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Just back from picking this up from my customer for its yearly MoT.
    2001, garaged from new.

Best bit though is the mileage.....Just over 4000 from new!

Any one care to guess as to the value? (It's not for sale by the way!)

Lovely car....enjoy it!

Mini fan here too..... 1963 Mk1 850 Crayford... (Nearest to a factory convertible until the Rover Lamm in 90's) as came with a BMC warranty to the owner....

Ours was in Mini magazine July 2016 issue (and May Practical Classics too)
    Been in family since 1972 and I passed my driving test in it... Less than 21 Crayfords left (& some of those just body shells not OTR)

Not for sale either and I was offered very silly money for it last year....

Passed my test in a Mini, but never really saw the appeal of something with lumps of rubber for suspension for daily use

A doddle to drive, though, so great for the driving test!

I can recall banging my head on a friend's Mini roof as we went along a fairly smooth road 4 up, back in my youth!

M.

My first car in 1976 was a 1968 850 mini it was quite a laugh to drive having just passed my test but not quick enough to make
    it dangerous. Then about 3 years later had a Downton tuned 1275 GT, that was a great car.

Then in 1999 went and test drove a new one and couldn't believe I had even fitted into the other 2, and I haven't put on that much weight.

Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    My first car in 1976 was a 1968 850 mini it was quite a laugh to drive having just passed my test but not quick enough to make
    it dangerous. Then about 3 years later had a Downton tuned 1275 GT, that was a great car.

Then in 1999 went and test drove a new one and couldn't believe I had even fitted into the other 2, and I haven't put on that much weight.
    I had a 6'4" mate who had a Countryman.

My memory tells me it didn't have a driver's seat, but I wonder if I've embellished that memory over the years!

M.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Nice.

I had one in BRG but without the wide boy arches.

I miss everything about it. Except the brakes. Oh, and the rust. Mine had done about 22k miles and was around three years old when I sold it.
    Don't you miss it stopping when it rained or water filling up the footwells? How about the suspension which the only practical use for was churning butter on bumpy roads?

They really were not very good cars but, they were great fun to drive - in the same way that surviving an accident was fun!

Loved them

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    78 miles. However, 12 of those was me picking it up and dropping it off again.
    Here's to another 78 miles...

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    never really saw the appeal of something with lumps of rubber for suspension for daily use...
    M.
    One of the best suspension setups ever. Look at what else was happening in 1959...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    One of the best suspension setups ever. Look at what else was happening in 1959...
    The suspension was great in terms of handling but, for comfort they it was terrible and the short wheelbase didn't help. At least it was better than the hydrolastic which needed pumped up after it leaked.

Master
    A guy that I'm friendly with sold his to Tom Hartley Jnr earlier this year and THJ resold it within hours for his asking price of £44950, a mark up of approx £20k. This one had never been used and had only 'delivery' mileage of 14 or 17. My friend and his two brothers bought one each in 2001 and this one was the last to be released.
    You can read about it on THJ's Twitter feed ( around February I think) where he announces that he's just bought the best Mini in the world. He'd actually bought it on a phone call, on the strength of the owners description.

See:
    http://www.tomhartleyjnr.com/used/20...r-sale-fxz8916
    Last edited by TomGW; 29th July 2016 at 03:05.

I know of two or three of the last Coopers sitting in a farm shed, unused and unregistered and stored in Permabags. Seemed nuts at the time but there you go!

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamB View Post
    Don't you miss it stopping when it rained or water filling up the footwells? How about the suspension which the only practical use for was churning butter on bumpy roads?

They really were not very good cars but, they were great fun to drive - in the same way that surviving an accident was fun!

Loved them
    My first one, about every other week it would stop and you had to go round the back and give it a thump underneath just behind the bumper and it was fine (for a while) - fuel pump, could have have fitted a new one but money was very tight back then and only fixed things when it was absolutely necessary.
    It also had the sliding windows, plastic string to open the doors and dip switch in the foot well.

60s Coopers go for that money, madness!

Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post

Blog Entries
    Mmmm, Mini Lovers here?

Start watching Bad Obsession Motorsport! Not only this video, but the complete BOM YouTube Channel!

Journeyman
    I've been watching Project Binky for the past couple of years, its going to be awesome when finished! Always look forward to the next episode coming out, its one of the best YouTube channels going if you're into that kind of thing!

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamB View Post
    The suspension was great in terms of handling but, for comfort they it was terrible and the short wheelbase didn't help. At least it was better than the hydrolastic which needed pumped up after it leaked.
    Indeed - It was a sensible choice (and quite original for the period and, of course, DID bless the Mini with go-kart handling) when cost (low) and size (extremely limited) were constraints, but, even by 1959 standard, it was never cutting edge.

Is Hydrolastic expensive to 'pump up'? I always heard horror stories about Citroen suspension, but we had our old Xantia's done once or twice and it was pretty cheap even when we had the reservoirs replaced.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 29th July 2016 at 11:27.

My 1989 60s Cooper S lookalike (!) freshly MOT'd today, AND tentatively on SC as we speak. She just won't give in! A monstrous 43k from new & costs me booger all relevant to the fun value tbh. Everyone should have/had one.

My mate's 1970 MK3 Cooper S also nearing bare metal resto completion so looking forward to that.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

Is Hydrolastic expensive to 'pump up'? I always heard horror stories about Citroen suspension, but we had our old Xantia's done once or twice and it was pretty cheap even when we had the reservoirs replaced.

M
    Wasn't that expensive but, it was a pain in the neck when it leaked as the suspension was front / rear so a leak meant it leaned over to one side and had no suspension, not great when you were miles from home. The rubber doughnut suspension was far more reliable if not exactly comfortable.