closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DE Razors

Master

DE Razors

I tend to save my DE shaves for a Sunday morning when I can take my time and enjoy the ritual of it all, to be honest I get a quicker and closer shave with a modern three blade cartridge razor....but that’s not really the point is it :-)
    This is my small collection, all imported from USA eBay before the prices went up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dizz; 12th April 2021 at 23:56.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dizz View Post
    I tend to save my DE shaves for a Sunday morning when I can take my time and enjoy the ritual of it all, to be honest I get a quicker and closer shave with a modern three blade cartridge razor....but that’s not really the point is it :-)
    This is my small collection, all imported from USA eBay before the prices went up.

Great wee collection.

I’ve got battered Slim Aristocrat as my regular shaver which I love so fancy getting a Fatboy but the prices are just crazy just now.

Hello

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    Thanks, just picked up some Cella soap at a great price.
    Yep, had a shave with it the other day really nice. As was the Lea cream. I've used Vitos before and it's really nice as well.

Should have enough for years now!

Journeyman
    I use a Merkur 34C daily, with feather blades. I find shaving-shack a good website. I find it much cheaper than cartridge razors (this isn’t a hobby for me just a preference) and much softer on my skin, although it did take a week of cutting my face to make the swap too much pressure was my main error.

I also like the Body Shop Maca root and aloe shaving cream and post shave balm. As suggested earlier there are some great YouTube channels dedicated to this shaving process. I’d happily grow a beard but I’m not allowed.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    I used a Futur for several years before moving to a fixed blade razor, Feather ASD2. Futur was good but a little bulky and I rarely adjusted it. Can’t fault the ASD2 and haven’t considered another razor in the 4 years I’ve been using it. It truly is a razor for life.
    Had a couple of starter razors and I’m the type to go down the rabbit hole with hobbies like this but the Feather ASD2 put a stop to that - it’s perfect. So efficient, the second pass is a token gesture, but you do have to hold it at a slightly different angle from normal so don’t assume it’s a dud if it doesn’t work first time.

Not tried any adjustables and not sure I understand the point - why would you adjust once you’ve found the setting that works for you? I’m sure there’s a reason so pls do enlighten me!

Got a bit carried away and bought a straight razor. Keeping it sharp is tough, and anything but super sharp is painful - have since got a feather artist club which takes the blades and that’s much better, cheaper and easier.

I like trumpers creams the best, used a Muehle synthetic brush for years which is excellent (this one https://www.muehle-shaving.co.uk/pur...g-birch-handle).

Favourite addition would be a shaving scuttle, though seems some variety of what’s covered by that. I mean the ones like a giant cup where you fill the hollow wall of the cup with hot water which keeps the lather you’ve mixed up warm. Too breakable to travel with and I really miss it when shaving away from home!

Blog Entries
    Well thanks for all the advice guys. And sorry for hijacking the thread but they always say to use the threads rather than starting another!

Finally decided to give a Merkur Progress a try, as it might be a bit more forgiving than the Bluebeards Revenge I bought to dip my toe into this particular rabbit hole. Will probably try it with the 7 o'clock and Shark blades first as I have a few left, then will try some others to see the difference they make.
    Watched this guy on You Tube and he's quite informative. (I'm sure he should be cooking spaghetti sauce with Paulie!) Anyway he does some good reviews.

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post
    Got a bit carried away and bought a straight razor. Keeping it sharp is tough, and anything but super sharp is painful - have since got a feather artist club which takes the blades and that’s much better, cheaper and easier.
    Been down that rabbit hole. Bought second hand straights off eBay and then new Dovo straights, selection of hones and strops. Really enjoyed shaving with a straight and did it for a few years.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Finally decided to give a Merkur Progress a try,
    I shaved with a Progress for 12 years. It's a great razor. Very comfortable in hand, and once you get used to the blade angle easy to shave with. However after the first few months of use I stopped adjusting it. When I finally decided to replace it I went back to a simpler razor.

I like old stuff and these all do a really good job of removing facial hair so I just grab whichever takes my fancy.

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Not tried any adjustables and not sure I understand the point - why would you adjust once you’ve found the setting that works for you? I’m sure there’s a reason so pls do enlighten me!
    I gave my reason above mate, the lower part of my neck is bumpy so have to go as mild as possible otherwise I end up with a rash. Tried various pre shave etc and nothing else works to date other than dialling down the razor. I'm happy with this comprise though as it takes 2 seconds to do

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Apologies, so you did.

I did struggle with neck rash, but it was from the classic not looking how your stubble grows, as many have said above.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Apologies, so you did.

I did struggle with neck rash, but it was from the classic not looking how your stubble grows, as many have said above.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I've tried up, down, across basically going on the mildest setting seems to work so I'm happy to just do that.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

A few of my vintage Gillettes. The bottom one is a unused Gillette gold toggle from 1958.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mijyou View Post
    A few of my vintage Gillettes. The bottom one is a unused Gillette gold toggle from 1958.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Rare and very collectible, that toggle, unused, must be like hens teeth...

Hello

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I like old stuff and these all do a really good job of removing facial hair so I just grab whichever takes my fancy.

Some beauties there Mr Curta!

Blog Entries
    Well thanks for all the advice guys. And sorry for hijacking the thread but they always say to use the threads rather than starting another!

Finally decided to give a Merkur Progress a try, as it might be a bit more forgiving than the Bluebeards Revenge I bought to dip my toe into this particular rabbit hole. Will probably try it with the 7 o'clock and Shark blades first as I have a few left, then will try some others to see the difference they make.
    Watched this guy on You Tube and he's quite informative. (I'm sure he should be cooking spaghetti sauce with Paulie!) Anyway he does some good reviews.

So just a quick update. The Merkur Progress arrived and so far so good. I'm using it on No.1 setting with 7 0'Clock blades, it feels safe and gives a close enough shave for me at the moment. I may try moving up the settings but for now it's fine. Feels a lot less risky than the Bluebeards Revenge but that was an economical way to get started, and I will probably still use it from time to time. Pleased with it so far.

So just a quick update. The Merkur Progress arrived and so far so good. I'm using it on No.1 setting with 7 0'Clock blades, it feels safe and gives a close enough shave for me at the moment. I may try moving up the settings but for now it's fine. Feels a lot less risky than the Bluebeards Revenge but that was an economical way to get started, and I will probably still use it from time to time. Pleased with it so far.
    i use it on 3.5 ish and adjust it up to 5 sometimes to use in safter areas slowly.

i only ever get very very minor cuts, usually around the mouth and chin.

however i use the now discontinued polsilver iridium that i have a liferime supply of and i think they cut much less than other i tried.

the blades and your technique are the biggest factors to getting cut i think

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    i use it on 3.5 ish and adjust it up to 5 sometimes to use in safter areas slowly.

i only ever get very very minor cuts, usually around the mouth and chin.

however i use the now discontinued polsilver iridium that i have a liferime supply of and i think they cut much less than other i tried.

the blades and your technique are the biggest factors to getting cut i think
    I think I'll try some more blades, the 7 o'clock seem pretty good though.

Master
    I think I'll try some more blades, the 7 o'clock seem pretty good though.
    You’re best buying a sample pack with a few different brands in and see which you like, my preference is feather but Gillette 7o’clock ave been good along with another that I can never remember the name of lol Astra I think but they’re so cheap you don’t mind trying a few and binning them if they don’t suit.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    You’re best buying a sample pack with a few different brands in and see which you like, my preference is feather but Gillette 7o’clock ave been good along with another that I can never remember the name of lol Astra I think but they’re so cheap you don’t mind trying a few and binning them if they don’t suit.
    Yes, I think I will try the sample packs as you suggest.

Master

!
    My dad used to do multiple settings per shave 7 with 4 across and against and a 2 for a final.

A few folks in youface videos recommend different settings for different passes.

I use two settings on my gillette slim but a single setting on my fat boy unless I have'et shaved for a while then I may use two.

B

Blog Entries
    Another quick update. Was looking for a smallish leather case for taking stuff to the range in and saw this on fleabay.

Bought it thinking I could chuck the contents and cut out the holding straps inside. Well that's still on the cards, but when it turned up it was in it's original cardboard outer box and appears to be unused. Even the original styptic pencil had never been used.

Anyway I decided to try the small Gillette razor and so gave it a thorough wash just in case, and loaded a 7 o'clock blade. Surprisingly it gives a really safe feeling close shave! Bit of a result for £8.99 inc postage, leather case for bits 'n' bobs and a razor!

Hello

I wish I'd discovered DE shaving a lot earlier in life. Always feel a lot better / fresher after one.