closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSA - New Steinhart 39mm Vintage GMT at Gnomon

PSA - New Steinhart 39mm Vintage GMT at Gnomon

These have tricky to get hold of in the 39mm case. The 100 German boutique edition watches sold out before most people heard about them and Olko who have been intermittently selling small batches with a cyclops on have now changed their next expected batch arrival date from the end of March to the end of April.

The good news is that Gnomon have announced the arrival of a new limited edition.

https://www.gnomonwatches.com/collec...omon-exclusive

It says it's a limited edition, but you are never really sure with Gnomon. Some previous limited editions have sold out in 24 hours.

Bottom line, if like me you have been after one of these without a cyclops, get in quick just in case.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 1st April 2021 at 19:03.

So tempted but so skint. Damn!

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    So tempted but so skint. Damn!
    Those boutique ones have been selling on Chrono24 for over £800 and the Olko ones aren't cheap either. People selling have been cashing in on the exclusiveness of these. This is a chance to grab one at list price.

Watch the videos - resistance is futile

Edit: I suspect this is a Gnomon exclusive rather than a limited edition as the Watch doesn't appear to be numbered. They have done this before (The Legacy - 200 watches - not numbered) so who knows, it could be a LE.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 1st April 2021 at 16:03.

Just ordered one, fancied one of these for a while.

Now to decide what leaves to make space for it....

Thanks for the heads up
    Last edited by kace; 1st April 2021 at 16:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Those boutique ones have been selling on Chrono24 for over £800 and the Olko ones aren't cheap either. People selling have been cashing in on the exclusiveness of these. This is a chance to grab one at list price.

Watch the videos - resistance is futile

Edit: I suspect this is a Gnomon exclusive rather than a limited edition as the Watch doesn't appear to be numbered. They have done this before (The Legacy - 200 watches - not numbered) so who knows, it could be a LE.
    You're not helping Ken.

As soon as I buy it Steinhart will put them on general release for £300. The same happens with Fantasy Football, the minute I buy a player he gets injured or scores 0 points for the next 10 games.

EDIT: I'm so weak
    Last edited by Onelasttime; 1st April 2021 at 17:05.

EDIT: I'm so weak
    Does that mean you have ordered - or are likely to.

Just checked the website and it has been amended to 'Gnomon Exclusive' - so probably similar to the other 39mm exclusives, small batches and when they are sold out they will order some more. Apart from the cyclops version on the Olko site I don't think anyone else will be selling these.

I had the 42mm version of this, it was a great watch in every way except for it’s heftiness. I always worry with 39mm dive style watches that they’ll look small on wrist due to having a little dial - it’s my concern over the BB58 too. Not sure if that would be the case here? Seriously tempted though...

Does that mean you have ordered - or are likely to.

Just checked the website and it has been amended to 'Gnomon Exclusive' - so probably similar to the other 39mm exclusives, small batches and when they are sold out they will order some more. Apart from the cyclops version on the Olko site I don't think anyone else will be selling these.
    Bought it.

I hadn’t notice the lack of cyclops. Why do you think they’ve done that?

EDIT: Just seen that the 42mm has no cyclops. I had a 42mm years ago and I could have sworn it had a cyclops?
    Last edited by Onelasttime; 1st April 2021 at 20:05.

Bought it.

I hadn’t notice the lack of cyclops. Why do you think they’ve done that?

EDIT: Just seen that the 42mm has no cyclops. I had a 42mm years ago and I could have sworn it had a cyclops?
    Good man.

As you say, the 42mm never had a cyclops. The 100 German boutique watches also didn't have a cyclops, but the Olko one does and I'm not sure why but I much prefer the watch without one.

I think this edition hits the spot.

Journeyman
    I like the Olko one. The lume application is very white (BGW9) and I like the fact that there is a cyclop. But why is the magnification have to be so weak?

Master
    And now out of stock.If anyone dosnt get on with theirs let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.f View Post
    And now out of stock.If anyone dosnt get on with theirs let me know.
    That was quick, although I'm sure there will be more stock along soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamaw View Post
    I like the Olko one. The lume application is very white (BGW9) and I like the fact that there is a cyclop. But why is the magnification have to be so weak?
    So far there have been three different types of lume, half the boutique edition was done in C3 which I think is the best of the three, the other half were in the old radium, similar to the new Gnomon release. The Olko dial does look incredibly pale by comparision. There has been criticism of the weakness of the Steinhart cyclops on other forums, but pleased that they left it off the Gnomon release.

Craftsman
    Damn....missed this thread. Will wait and see if gnomon get some more stock. I presume we'll have to pay through the nose on import duty. It does seem odd that a German company lets some of the most sought after models go through Singapore - perhaps the German fans get even more frustrated at having to (what they perceive as) re-import them back to Germany. Maybe these batches are all built in Singapore?

Quote Originally Posted by jason.humphrey.180 View Post
    Damn....missed this thread. Will wait and see if gnomon get some more stock. I presume we'll have to pay through the nose on import duty. It does seem odd that a German company lets some of the most sought after models go through Singapore - perhaps the German fans get even more frustrated at having to (what they perceive as) re-import them back to Germany. Maybe these batches are all built in Singapore?
    There will be 20% VAT to pay on top, but that now applies to buying from Steinhart direct in Germany. It does seem an odd business model to sell a sought after model in such a way. The 100 D'Horlogerie watches sold out before most people knew they were available, the Olko small batches which seem to be available every month or two seem to sell out within an hour or two of being announced on intstagram and now these exclusive to Gnomon watches sell out within 24 hours.

Why not just put it on the main Steinhart catalogue and let all the dealerships sell it. We could then buy from Chronomaster in the UK with the VAT already factored into the price.

I like it, but the bright white hands are a deal-breaker for me.

Craftsman
    There will be 20% VAT to pay on top, but that now applies to buying from Steinhart direct in Germany. It does seem an odd business model to sell a sought after model in such a way. The 100 D'Horlogerie watches sold out before most people knew they were available, the Olko small batches which seem to be available every month or two seem to sell out within an hour or two of being announced on intstagram and now these exclusive to Gnomon watches sell out within 24 hours.

Why not just put it on the main Steinhart catalogue and let all the dealerships sell it. We could then buy from Chronomaster in the UK with the VAT already factored into the price.
    I've signed up to their 'when back in stock' notification and set a bell on their Instagram for now. They said one to two weeks when I asked on their Facebook page.
    I like the idea of one with a Cyclops as on the boutique watch...I saw a side profile pic on a uhrforum thread and it looks like the boutique one has a dead flat crystal. The main issue I have with any Cyclops I've seen in a steinhart is that the magnification is so slight, it may as well not be there. (It's not that I have particularly bad eyesight, I like the look, although at over age 50 it might be nice also)
    On the same uhrforum thread I saw someone sent it to a local watchmaker and had it replaced with a proper 2½x Cyclops....this looked much more appealing. I like the gnomon old radium lume colour so was wondering whether the slightly domed crystal on the gnomon would take an added cyclops happily. That would be my preferred look.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I agree about the bright white hands - they just look a bit “tacked on”. Apart from that a great watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There will be 20% VAT to pay on top, but that now applies to buying from Steinhart direct in Germany. ...
    But they should deduct local VAT when you place a UK order from their website, meaning you should only be worse off by handling costs?

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    But they should deduct local VAT when you place a UK order from their website, meaning you should only be worse off by handling costs?
    Agreed and that's how it works with both Steinhart and Olko in Germany.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    I had the 42mm version of this, it was a great watch in every way except for it’s heftiness. I always worry with 39mm dive style watches that they’ll look small on wrist due to having a little dial - it’s my concern over the BB58 too. Not sure if that would be the case here? Seriously tempted though...
    Good point if they use the same case as the Ocean One divers/GMT's. I intended to buy the 39mm but on trying it on even the wife immediately noted it was too small for my 6 3/4" wrist. I ended up walking out with the 42mm Ocean premium GMT, which I can just about get away with. I have a 39mm Longines HC which, again, I can just about get away with when I feel like wearing something a little smaller. That being said, I haven't directly compared the 39mm Steinhart against the HC.

A brand new Olko edition with the cyclops has just been listed on e-bay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steinhart...gAAOSwhmpgabRx

No connection to the seller, but they are open to offers so might be worth someone trying their luck.

I finally got the DHL delivery notice (next Tuesday) followed swiftly by the Customs bill, but get this… the customs bill from DHL is only £39

I've paid it, not wanting to look a gift horse in the mouth, but do Gnomon de-value their parcels? By my calculaitons it should have been at least £90 + the DHL admin charge. I've never used Gnomon before but I know Creation used to do this.

Exactly the same for me, I read somewhere online that in the past they undervalued and were having stuff returned at customs. Seems they've not changed much.

Paying £40 is a small win, the vat I accept, its the handling charges that stick in my throat.

Same here, delivery next Monday and a £39.00 VAT bill. I can only assume they have recorded the value at around $200 to $250. I remembered Rusty on here getting annoyed a while back because of Gnomon's declared values, which could cause problems for some people. Personally this time I'm fine with saving about £60 as I was also expecting a £100 bill.

I see that e-bay seller from Liverpool has listed one already. Seems funny that he sold 4 or 5 39mm Steinharts last week and then in the listing for the GMT states that he thinks 39mm is too small. Funny how he needed 6 before coming to that conclusion. Maybe it was code for received this morning, listed within minutes, looking for a big fat profit.

Mine just arrived, looks better in the flesh than the pictures. Got an incredibly teethy puppy so today might not be the day to wear it, watches have been taking a bit of a battering.

I'll post some pictures later.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    Mine just arrived, looks better in the flesh than the pictures. Got an incredibly teethy puppy so today might not be the day to wear it, watches have been taking a bit of a battering.

I'll post some pictures later.
    Looking forward to it

Just arrived. A quick photo in the box, need to unpack it, but it looks big for a 39mm watch.

And this explains the VAT - the rascals

Cracking looking watch Ken.
    I'm wishing I never sold my green bezelled 39mm sub now.

More pics when convenient please bud.

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

Some pics:

I'm very happy with it. I did own the 42mm version a while back and that was like wearing a dinner plate, certainly the biggest looking 42mm watch I have owned. The 39mm version is great and glad I got one given that a fair few of these and the Olko versions are already on e-bay. One guy in the US sold one of these yesterday for $950 then promptly listed a second. No wonder they sold out so quickly.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 12th April 2021 at 16:56.

Post 29 pics aren't showing for me. Post 27 pics are.
    ______

​Jim.

Very tidy indeed, a lot of watch for the money there bud.

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Post 29 pics aren't showing for me. Post 27 pics are.
    The system seems to be playing up. I can see them on my phone, but not on my pad.

Can anyone else see them

Master
    Nope.

Just arrived. A quick photo in the box, need to unpack it, but it looks big for a 39mm watch.

And this explains the VAT - the rascals

Very sneaky Gnomon. Could we be made liable for that if customs get wind?

Anyway, I had the notice it woud be arriving today, helpfully 'before end of day' so I've been waiting in and not doing important chores so I don't miss it … and so far nothing.

I bet as soon as I get in the bath they'll knock on the door.

It looks good though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    Nope.
    I think they are showing now.

Very sneaky Gnomon. Could we be made liable for that if customs get wind?

Anyway, I had the notice it woud be arriving today, helpfully 'before end of day' so I've been waiting in and not doing important chores so I don't miss it … and so far nothing.

I bet as soon as I get in the bath they'll knock on the door.

It looks good though.
    I think we are fine, DHL obviously did all the paperwork on behalf of HMRC then charged us direct. I think if anything it would be a Gnomon who would be in it for falsely declaring values. As stated, didn't this happen to Creation and they then started to correctly declare.

Fingers crossed that yours turns up today.

Haven't got round to pictures. It does look big, a fair bit bigger than my 39mm ovm on the wrist, the 42mm would have looked daft on me.

I love the little polished bevel on the bezel. Really nicely finished.

Same here, delivery next Monday and a £39.00 VAT bill. I can only assume they have recorded the value at around $200 to $250. I remembered Rusty on here getting annoyed a while back because of Gnomon's declared values, which could cause problems for some people. Personally this time I'm fine with saving about £60 as I was also expecting a £100 bill.

I see that e-bay seller from Liverpool has listed one already. Seems funny that he sold 4 or 5 39mm Steinharts last week and then in the listing for the GMT states that he thinks 39mm is too small. Funny how he needed 6 before coming to that conclusion. Maybe it was code for received this morning, listed within minutes, looking for a big fat profit.
    several 39mm, all “too small”

scalpers, hate them!

Here is an image that shows the comparison of the 39mm Vintage GMT in the middle and a 39mm diver type bezel on the left and the traditional 42mm on the right. The smaller bezel and bigger dial of the GMT make it look much bigger than the 39mm on the left. That is probably why I found the 42mm GMT so big.

Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 12th April 2021 at 18:54.

It arrived eventually at 8.30.

All sized up and looking good. Pics tomorrow.

It does wear larger than I thought, but not so much as to feel wrong. The bracelet is lovely with that taper down to 16mm.

I can't believe I wore the 42mm version for a couple of years though. My size preferences have definitely changed.

RE: that snowflake homage. Is there a 'homage' Steinhart doesn't do?

EDIT: Inadvertently I've got the perfect fit with the clasp centred under my wrist by using a half link I didn't know was a half link until I just looked. Steinhart watches are ridiculous value for money.
    Last edited by Onelasttime; 12th April 2021 at 22:20.

Craftsman
    Here is an image that shows the comparison of the 39mm Vintage GMT in the middle and a 39mm diver type bezel on the left and the traditional 42mm on the right. The smaller bezel and bigger dial of the GMT make it look much bigger than the 39mm on the left. That is probably why I found the 42mm GMT so big.

Thanks for this comparison. What's your wrist size BTW?

Quote Originally Posted by jason.humphrey.180 View Post
    Thanks for this comparison. What's your wrist size BTW?

7.25" (18.5cm) approx.

Journeyman
    Nice Watch - Not heard of Gnomon - How long did shipping take?

Quote Originally Posted by michaelro View Post
    Nice Watch - Not heard of Gnomon - How long did shipping take?
    Three days max from Singapore. DHL charge you the VAT once the parcel is in transit, so it whistles through Customs. Fantastic service.

Loving it …

Master
    I can see why, it really is a super watch that could be priced a bit higher in the grand scheme of things. Still extremely happy with my 42mm, and I think will always be a 'keeper' with the 'bang to buck' aspect, why sell a relatively cheap watch with this level of finish. Well done Steinhart I say.

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

For anyone who missed out, might be worth keeping an eye on this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steinhart...gAAOSwSddgb~n2

It was obviously listed the second it arrived, but at present is still below cost price. The Gnomon price plus VAT is basically £500 give or take a few pounds.

For some reason, e-bay has been bombarded recently with fairly new 39mm models and it has had an impact on prices, with some selling way below the original list price.

It also looks like Olko listed some of their GMTs with the cyclops last night, which sold in minutes. One guy was moaning that he had one in his basket, but it sold before he could pay for it, which is a bit naughty.

Journeyman
    I have seen lots of threads about these particular steinhart special editions how do people find out about them before they sell out? Is it a case of signing up to the mailing list?

Quote Originally Posted by Saints2014 View Post
    I have seen lots of threads about these particular steinhart special editions how do people find out about them before they sell out? Is it a case of signing up to the mailing list?
    Signing up for mailing lists with Gnomon and Steinhart is useful as you get to hear about new releases. I did sign up at Olko but don't think I have ever had a heads up from them. They tend to announce things on instagram shortly before it happens, like last night. Despite having a tab open for several weeks and checking regularly, I still missed the GMT watches listed last night. Luckily I have the one from Gnomon, so nothing lost.

If you want to hear about the Facebook groups and boutique editions, it's probably best to join several of the Facebook groups. The French and Belgium ones are about the best from memory as several of Gunter Steinhart's personal friends are on those groups, so are in the know. It can get silly though and keeping tabs on all these things can become almost a full time job. I think I was on about 15 different groups at one time, but don't bother with that stuff these days. There is very little discussion, just loads of people posting pics of their watches.

Watch forums do throw up some stuff, there is a thread for new Steinhart releases on Watchuseek.

I take a pragmatic view these days, if I have missed something and want it, about half those who bought any Watch in question are going to list it on the bay or elsewhere straight away looking for a profit, so haggling with them becomes the way to get hold of stuff.

I think the above is true for a lot of smaller brands and especially those that keep knocking out limited or special editions.

Journeyman
    Its a lovely watch. I will check the one out on ebay happy to go to £600 on it but thats my max its local in Liverpool so could collect