closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Price of corned Beef

Craftsman

Price of corned Beef

The price of corned Beef has been gradually going up in the last six months . Bearing in mind tinned it lasts for ages , is it a sure fire investment to stockpile it in the misses shoe cabinet , removing the shoes of course to another location (shed) and sitting back and watch your investment increase in value ? Rather than the shoes that gather dust , never get worn and are pretty worthless .
    Last edited by Tomaitch; 19th April 2015 at 14:45.

They can't get away with horse meat anymore, so more beef content has made the price rise.

Master
    Tough luck lads, I bought up all LIDL's stocks before the prices began to rise.

I have 20,000 tins... coming to a SC near you soon! (at a rather healthy mark up, obviously!)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Would be a disastrous investment for me. I'm rather partial to Corned Beef and Potato pie so I would simply eat away my potential gain.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    I have 20,000 tins... coming to a SC near you soon! (at a rather healthy mark up, obviously!)

PM sent Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Would be a disastrous investment for me. I'm rather partial to Corned Beef and Potato pie so I would simply eat away my potential gain.

That looks well tasty,a rarity in our house but I do like a good corn dog pie

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    That looks well tasty,a rarity in our house but I do like a good corn dog pie
    It's my old dear's recipe, absolutely love it. Really dense though so it finishes you for the day!

Blog Entries
    hi, and corndog pie rules!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post

Liking the look of that.....

Master
    Please make sure you invest in Brazlian Corned beef, not the Argie stuff.

Hello

Corned beef, baked beans and new potatoes. Superb!

Bizarre, I was just ranting about the price of corned beef the other day to the missus.
    She was heading down the cash and carry and asked if I wanted anything so said a pallet of small tins of corned beef ... I like it with spaghetti and pasta sauce as a quick and cheap lunch when I'm working from home.

She comes back and said she'd got a tray of 12 small tins and could I guess how much they were ... thinking corned beef is cheap and it's the cash and carry I went for 6 quid ... she then hits me with the actual cost of 21 quid !!!

Nearly had a heart attack, I think of corned beef as being a cheap tin of meat, something you have in a cheap sandwich or pie (or in my case pasta) ... when did it get so expensive!?!?!?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stoat View Post
    Bizarre, I was just ranting about the price of corned beef the other day to the missus.
    She was heading down the cash and carry and asked if I wanted anything so said a pallet of small tins of corned beef ... I like it with spaghetti and pasta sauce as a quick and cheap lunch when I'm working from home.

She comes back and said she'd got a tray of 12 small tins and could I guess how much they were ... thinking corned beef is cheap and it's the cash and carry I went for 6 quid ... she then hits me with the actual cost of 21 quid !!!

Nearly had a heart attack, I think of corned beef as being a cheap tin of meat, something you have in a cheap sandwich or pie (or in my case pasta) ... when did it get so expensive!?!?!?
    Cost of cattle futures , grain and increasing working costs have all Dded to the increase and its estimated to continue hence ....

My favourite is corned beef fritters , and a good decent bit of bread made into a Corned Beef , mustard , onion , Mayo Sandwich :-p

But those days are over , my purchasing is purely speculative now !

Banned
    Thanks for the heads up, I'm off the visit Baxters tomorrow so I will stock up with plenty corned beef as it's cheap as chips in the shop.

I'm shocked. Do you guys really think corned beef is a decent investment instrument? Come on! Everybody knows that the best investment in this day and age is sugar. It's cheap now, easy to get, doesn't take too much space and will last forever if stored dry. In a time of crisis it will be the first thing to vanish from the stores and black market prices will skyrocket.

I'm about halfway to my goal of trying to accumulate 10 tonnes of sugar in my sauna. Acquisition price will be less than 10,000€ and I expect to cash out at 150,000€ to 200,000€

Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    I'm shocked. Do you guys really think corned beef is a decent investment instrument? Come on! Everybody knows that the best investment in this day and age is sugar. It's cheap now, easy to get, doesn't take too much space and will last forever if stored dry. In a time of crisis it will be the first thing to vanish from the stores and black market prices will skyrocket.

I'm about halfway to my goal of trying to accumulate 10 tonnes of sugar in my sauna. Acquisition price will be less than 10,000€ and I expect to cash out at 150,000€ to 200,000€

I'd check behind that planking for ants.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    No worries, there's a plastic vapour barrier which will keep out ants.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Sweet

Craftsman
    Since my original post Corned Beef has increased by around 15% a tin . Anyone took advantage of my investment strategy?

I've noticed that the price is coming down, not going up. Last year it was a couple of quid a tin and now it's about £1.25.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I've noticed that the price is coming down, not going up. Last year it was a couple of quid a tin and now it's about £1.25.

Eddie
    Yes but I spoke with my AD yesterday and he said there was a 10% price rise coming.

Corned beef - food of the Gods.

Unfortunately out of bounds to me, on a diet.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Corned beef! really? rather common for us up market types. I had a grilled Spam sandwich in Telford this morning for £2.40 and it was so good I nearly asked for the wine list.

My silver-haired old mother is still boycotting Argentinian corned beef.

This thread has reminded me it's time I made corned beef pie again, it's been a while, but at least I have the memories.......

F.T.F.A.

...Add a few teaspoons of branston pickle in that corned beef and potato pie
    slurp!

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    ...Add a few teaspoons of branston pickle in that corned beef and potato pie
    slurp!
    Some things should never, ever, be considered "ingredients".

You bar stewards, I now want corned beef pie, and it's almost 2300 - too b late to eat...
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    we used to get corned beef hash in ration packs, i am ashamed to admit* i always thought it so delicious that i would have considered buying it and eating it at home if it were available.

knowing the procurement systems used by the military and judging by the price available to civilians, i am assuming a pouch of the old issued stuff (which will still be in date for about a thousand years) would cost about 200 quid a packet.

*eating rations at home is growling behaviour.

Grand Master
    What's this place coming to?......... Threads on Spam and Corned Beef!

I love 'em both and the sight of that corner beef pie is making me hungry!

Paul

Journeyman
    Need to start a new thread-
    "Will Spam ever be as good as Corned Beef?"

Craftsman
    It won't be so don't bother ..

Craftsman
    When perusing the supermarket shelves, do yourself a favour and DO NOT buy the Dewhurst branded corned beef. Seemed like good value, but is full of arteries and jelly.
    Never again.

Which is the best brand (in a tin)? Princes always seems good.

Master
    I buy mine sliced, does that make me posh?

Master
    Just purchased 5 packs at £2 a pack (three slices) in Sainsburys... Reduced to £2 a pack. So that's 66p a slice!
    ISTR when corned beef was a cheap meal. My favourite at university was a small tin of corned beef chopped up and mixed with a tin of Big Soup - made a fantastic stew. Sometimes add a tin of baked beans to bulk it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    My silver-haired old mother is still boycotting Argentinian corned beef.
    She isnt the only one, no Argie products in this house since the Falklands.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    This thread has reminded me it's time I made corned beef pie again, it's been a while, but at least I have the memories.......

That looks gorgeous Bob.

Will you marry me?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    There's nothing like a bit of Frey Bentos corned beef, my uncle went out to Brazil in 1947 with a load of cattle to build a herd for them. A couple of cold slices go down well with a bit of pickle.

It's one of the only things I can leave in the fridge safely without someone pinching it.

Master
    I hear the suppliers are holding back stock to create a huge demand that can't be fulfilled.

I was in Lidl and the manager there offered to put my name on the waiting list but said I might have to wait a year of so.

He also hinted that there was a likely price rise in the next few weeks, at which point the apparent shortage might free up a little.

Just saying.........

Master
    Wanted list:- Speedmaster, Submariner, Corned beef, Spam. Perhaps I need to re-arrange my list now!
    :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Amongst all this corned beef and potato goodness, did no-one have a mother who cooked "Hasty Pie"? (Corned beef, tin of tomatoes, pastry crust). Used to be a staple in our house when funds were tight.

There is only one brand worth getting Fray bentos, Uruguayan/British

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...ritage-status/

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    My favourite at university was a small tin of corned beef chopped up and mixed with a tin of Big Soup - made a fantastic stew. Sometimes add a tin of baked beans to bulk it out.
    You sir, are a genius. I've tried bulking up Big Soup with meatballs with mixed success. Cubes of Corned Beef will certainly be the next thing I try.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    That looks gorgeous Bob.

Will you marry me?

Ooh you tease Neil! PM sent.... ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

Ooh you tease Neil! PM sent.... ;-)
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by burnside View Post
    Corned beef, baked beans and new potatoes. Superb!
    A meal fit for a king

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    I have just inhaled a small sandwich (one slice of bread folded over, proper food in an hour or so when my daughter gets back from Karate) containing a slab of cold corned beef and a good dollop of wholegrain mustard. And damn fine it was too.

The Colditz Story

Should be compulsory reading in all schools. One of my never to be forgotten heroes in life. Pat Reid MBE MC. Reproduced here for your enlightenment from Chapter 5 of the book.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    What's this place coming to?......... Threads on Spam and Corned Beef!

I love 'em both and the sight of that corner beef pie is making me hungry!

Paul
    I'm going through something of a Spam phase at the moment. Feel slightly awkward at the till, as though I've sneaked a copy of Readers' Wives in with the Sunday papers.

Craftsman
    After calculating my net gain after 3 years ! Yes it’s that long ago my holding has increased by a whopping 40% . Not bad for an amateur .
    I also found out today that Corned Beef is a liquified product poured into tins where it sets and that’s where the fatty outer comes from . Liquid Gold 👍