closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Recommend a good home air compressor

Recommend a good home air compressor

Afternoon All

Tired (no pun intended) of waiting in queues at the local petrol stations to check my tyres, so wanted a good home air compressor to inflate at my leisure.

Space and budge not really an issue as I like garage toys. Not wanting a plastic chassis LIDL special either.

Has anyone got any recommendations? I’m thinking the Kranzle pressure washer of home tyre inflation if such a thing exists?!

Thanks in advance,

I got one from Aldi when they had them on sale. They’re ok for the price and there’s very little plastic on it. It cost me about £75.

Blog Entries
    https://www.sgs-engineering.com/help...hould-i-order/

This sort of advise is very good. Lots of things to consider. Planning a sandblasting cabinet? (oh so rewarding to do!!!) be sure to get the biggest & most powerful compressor you can affort

Craftsman
    One thing to consider when having a compressor at home is the noise levels especially if the garage is attached to the house.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Get yourself a little compressor, (which will facilitate more garage toys!) and a pcl inline gauge. We use these at the garage:

https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/pr...VClCHAQgTYIjgQ

Recommend a good home air compressor

If all you want to do is inflate then a 12v tyre inflator is great, any compressor is way over the top for blowing up tyres, by the time it has taken to fill the tank the 12v could have sorted all 4 wheels, then of course you need to drain the tank, a right faff!

I recently bought a used Hydrovane, after I serviced it it’s one of the best things I have purchased as I have airtools and currently restoring a car, very quiet too for home use but completely over the top for your usage..

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 8th June 2018 at 20:31.

Blog Entries
    Buying your first compressor is like buying your first watch and joining TZ-UK. You want more, more, more! Air-tools are so much nicer than electric power tools. Cheaper to buy (no motor) and much lighter = easier to handle. And then... you realise that your compressor is not up to the job. Bummer. Hence my advice: go big!

Menno

Good advice from Menno; I’ve bought a small blast cabinet and it doesn’t work too well with the compressor I’ve got.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Good advice from Menno; I’ve bought a small blast cabinet and it doesn’t work too well with the compressor I’ve got.
    That was my first mistake too when I started with classic cars back in the 90s. Tinkering with my first Saabs and later my first Triumph Spitfire. Mind you, these compressors weren't as noise-free as the ones you can buy now. The current one in the workshop is immensely big. I have to look on the manufacturer's plate how big, btw. Inflating tyres is dead-easy with a compressor, but as said, you soon see the other advantages of a compressor.

When tooling around with a compressor, it's important to use the correct hoses, fittings and pipework (when needed). Especially fittings. I've seen one pop and the hose swung through the air like mad, luckily hitting no one. Not all compressors are suited for spray painting. Some need oil for lubrication. There's a risk that some oil 'mist' will foul up the paintwork. There are also oil-free lubrication systems, but they wear out more quickly - although I don't think you'll notice that in a DIY environment.

I wrote above about air driven tools. Once you've handled these, you're hooked! Light, agile, easy to control the speed or power and cheap. Air driven saws, cutting tools that run circles around a Dremel and hand-held drills that -as a result of nearly no weight- are easy to aim etc.

One thing: compressors and a freezing environment (cold shed or garage) are no friends. Ask your dealer / seller about this before you hand the money!

Menno

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I had thought about getting an oil-lubricated compressor but now wonder whether oil-less is the best option? Was planning on getting an air gun to blow excess water off my alloys and hard to reach areas of my cars and bike after I have cleaned them. Wouldn’t want any oil film then going back on the paint work!

Grand Master
    Many years ago I had a small compressor, 7.5 cubic ft/min, 1.5hp, with a 25 litre tank. It was a bit noisy but that didn't bother me. I used this to spray a car but it was no good for beadblasting ( not big enough) and it was limited with air tools. A bigger tank would’ve helped but the compressor itself wasn’t really big enough. At the time (1992) it was all I could afford, but nowadays the prices haven’t changed much and they’re far more affordable.

I had a moisture trap in the air line and as I recall it also knocked out oil mist. I certainly had no trouble spraying cars with my set-up.

If you plan to use air tools you’ll need around 15 cubic ft/min if I remember rightly. As Menno says, they’re excellent. If not, something like I had would be OK. A blow gun is useful for cleaning stuff with a blast of air and it would help for blowing water off after cleaning, well worth having.

I would have a look at Machine Mart, they have a big range. I’ve thought about getting one for tyres and air- blowing etc, but my garage is small and I’d struggle for space.

If it’s purely for tyres and other light duty, a 10 litre tank would be enough, and the compressor doesn’t need to run for long to pressure it up.

Cheap tyre inflators are available but they’re not always accurate. That’s easily fixed, just check it against an accurate one and correct accordingly. I use a double foot pump for tyres and an old- style pneumatic pressure gauge that looks a bit like a pen! The alternative is to buy a more expensive one that should be accurate.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Afternoon All

Tired (no pun intended) of waiting in queues at the local petrol stations to check my tyres, so wanted a good home air compressor to inflate at my leisure.

Space and budge not really an issue as I like garage toys. Not wanting a plastic chassis LIDL special either.

Has anyone got any recommendations? I’m thinking the Kranzle pressure washer of home tyre inflation if such a thing exists?!

Thanks in advance,

I've no affiliation with this company other than buying this model last year, https://www.sgs-engineering.com/air-...air-compressor

I run an array of different air tools from drills to air polishers and it works admirable. It's not overly loud when running and I have it in my integral garage, when running it can't be heard in the house.

I've not tried it for spraying, so can't give you an opinion on that, but all in all I'm very pleased with it.

SGS quite often have sales on so it's worth keeping an eye on there site.

Brian.

if you want to check your tyres then I would start with a good pressure guage as all of the 12v ones I have used the guages were very inaccurate.

Just to bump this from the depths.

Got tired (no pun) of faffing with the rear tyre pressures on both my bikes when wanting to take my wife as a pillion, so thoughts turned to getting a compressor again.

In the end went for a local firm (PCL) and got one of their 24l 2HP 188l/min compressors plus a PCL in-line digital tyre inflator.

Overkill perhaps but I like garage toys!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Get yourself a little compressor, (which will facilitate more garage toys!) and a pcl inline gauge. We use these at the garage:

https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/pr...VClCHAQgTYIjgQ
    That's the one I use Dave

Craftsman
    I’ve also got one of the smaller SGS compressors on wheels so easy to manoeuvre. They do some good deals on complete kits.

No complaints even if at the cheaper end of the market, delivery excellent as well.

Blog Entries
    I use one of these for the cars and bike..........

....but use a separate pressure gauge as the built in ones are rarely accurate.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    I bought one similar to this from Costco about 10 years ago. I've replaced (1) the belt, which broke of its own accord and (2) the seal on the pump which I broke though hamfisted and impatient replacement of (1). Runs airtools for limited periods but mainly pumps up tyres.

Loads of tyres...

Craftsman
    When it comes to compressors you want to be looking at the highest C.f.m and tank size.

But it really does depend on what you intend to use it for.

14cfm air delivery, into a 50 litre receiver.
    I picked mine up for about £250.
    Pretty good with most air tools....even quick bursts with a 400Nm impact gun.