closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: F1 - 2022

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Did you really think they were sandbagging then?
    Who knows, but they did gain around 2/3s on the RBRs.

Blog Entries
    Guessing no one is feeling that sorry for Max, Marko and "Whingebag" Horner then....

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    "An issue with the fuel system" on the RBs apparently. Is that a euphemism for running out of the fluid that is held in the fuel system?
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    The fact that it happened to both of them within a short time makes me think that is, indeed, what happened.
    From the BBC:

Team principal Christian Horner said he did not yet know what had gone wrong but it "looks like an issue in the fuel system" for both cars.
    Verstappen said: "It looked like there was no fuel coming to the engine and everything just turned off so I just rolled into the pit lane."

Looks highly likely and if so, someones in for a rollicking!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Guessing no one is feeling that sorry for Max, Marko and "Whingebag" Horner then....
    Well, I feel about as sorry for Marko and Hornet as they felt for LCH in Abu Dhabi.

However, I do have sympathy for Max: I greatly respect and enjoy his driving skills.

I mostly try to separate drivers' personalities from their on-track performance (this isn't the Miss World competition, after all), but I would comment that until last season he held himself very much in tight control, almost to the extent of appearing autistic, but he has opened up recently and has shown some entertaining humour.

I would add, though, that he has also developed a tendency to the desperate whinge, and plenty of that was shown on Sunday. This was way beyond anything that Lewis has ever done, yet he has had relentless criticism from some quarters for it.

It'll be interesting to see if those quarters make the same comments over Max - I suspect they won't, since it's pretty obvious IMHO why many of them are so down on Lewis.

It was the highlight of my weekend :)

Master
    Much as RBR’s technical fails dominated the result & our chat here, it’s worth highlighting what a sophisticated race Leclerc drove. Faultless, and he made Max look like a crude amateur during those 4-5 laps when they were duelling.
    I previously wondered about his 5-year contract, but for me this is the first time he’s shown why he was given it. I hope Merc get up to speed soon, because watching Charles-Lewis battles should be something else.

Er. No.

It made my weekend to see them left sucking bitter lemons and growing the chip on their shoulder even more than usual.

This is why I don't follow F1 to the degree I did anymore.

OK, there was Mansell-mania, but people didn't have to hate Senna, Piquet and Prost to enjoy Mansell's performances.

Just enjoy the racing.

Nice to see Ferrari back at the front.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Bahrain 2022 will be remembered for a few reasons.

Firstly the FIA basically down graded MV’s to a “human error champion”, but unfortunately he has decided to continue with the #1 on his car, as if totally tone deaf to the majority of F1 fans. But I very much doubt he cares.

Then we see the new cars, the new wheels, the new fuels, the new rules, which I am still not totally convinced with. Yes we had the battle between CLC and MV which was quite exciting, but little else outside the top 8 runners.

We saw some good and respectful driving. Very few shunts (excluding Gasly) and as a result few penalties, and the majority majorly of cars making it to the finish (with some very obvious exceptions).

We saw the revival of Ferrari (finally) and Haas. We saw Williams, AT, Alfa, Mercedes, Aston Martin, McLaren, Alpine all struggle, plus we saw the introduction of a very capable looking Chinese driver, which will be most welcome by the FIA and Liberty Media.

We saw Russell gets his best finish (I don’t include his second place in Spa, as I don’t believe it was actually a race). We saw the a few old boys return, although KMags performance excelled the others.

On the topic of RBR, nothing to add, but it was very funny. Personally I don’t buy the fuel pump issue with Perez’s car. I have never seen a car go from running, to completely locked up because it ran out fuel. But who knows what magic these cars have.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    On the topic of RBR, nothing to add, but it was very funny. Personally I don’t buy the fuel pump issue with Perez’s car. I have never seen a car go from running, to completely locked up because it ran out fuel. But who knows what magic these cars have.
    Giles Richards in The Guardian has a plausible sounding story:

"It appears likely the issue was to do with the high temperatures of the fuel as the final few litres moved around in the near empty tanks The temperatures are higher this season anyway because of the new part biofuel mix being employed and this can cause evaporation, which damages the fuel pump, ultimately disabling it. Red Bull were the only team not to run a full race distance simulation in testing, when this issue would have manifested itself. They brought so many major upgrades to the car at the last minute their plans were compromised as they had to focus on making sure all the new parts worked. This was successful in that the car is very quick but at the cost of a potential failure that they did not see coming and that proved costly. In their favour is that if they have identified the problem, a repeat is unlikely."

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/bl...ix-formula-one

Been trying to watch the highlights on All 4 for the past two nights but keep getting a ‘Our servers are too busy’ message. Was there some legal reason it can’t be shown, or is it genuinely just All 4’s rubbish servers?

Working on my Phone ok

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Giles Richards in The Guardian has a plausible sounding story:

"It appears likely the issue was to do with the high temperatures of the fuel as the final few litres moved around in the near empty tanks The temperatures are higher this season anyway because of the new part biofuel mix being employed and this can cause evaporation, which damages the fuel pump, ultimately disabling it. Red Bull were the only team not to run a full race distance simulation in testing, when this issue would have manifested itself. They brought so many major upgrades to the car at the last minute their plans were compromised as they had to focus on making sure all the new parts worked. This was successful in that the car is very quick but at the cost of a potential failure that they did not see coming and that proved costly. In their favour is that if they have identified the problem, a repeat is unlikely."

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/bl...ix-formula-one
    So it sounds as if it’s a fuel or pump location issue rather than a pump issue. It will be interesting what the fix is, but perhaps brimming the tank with 100kg, might be a start 😁

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Schumacher had had one hell of an accident in qualifying.

Glad he is ok as they have just said, I feared the worst, watching it live it made me gasp.

Blog Entries
    That was a bad crash!

Well do e Perez. Hopefully be a good race tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    Well do e Perez. Hopefully be a good race tomorrow
    i hope he does, however I still fancy Ferrari to win it or for team orders to take priority.

The Mercedes’ Nightmare continues,(although Russell did well), simply not quick enough on the straights.

Friedrich Nietzsche

have the new 2022 changes made any real dfference ? or just too early to tell yet maybe

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    have the new 2022 changes made any real dfference ? or just too early to tell yet maybe
    Well Mercedes are not nailed on to win every race so thats a start

Incredible to see what George Russell could get out of the car, yet Lewis couldn’t?!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Incredible to see what George Russell could get out of the car, yet Lewis couldn’t?!

Or wanted? Several reasons for LH to let this one slip. He's not happy in SA with the current attacks nearby - and I would be surprised when he would not have spoken out during the drivers/team boss meeting. For LH there's more in life than racing. On a Dutch site, he's quoted that he would be glad to leave SA asap.

Secondly: I think that the car is basically unsafe. Mercedes can add speed by altering the set-up, but that makes is prone to porpoising etc. And Lewis has no urge to become WC for the 8th time risking his life every time. For Russell, things are different: he is young, ambitious and wants to show the world his skills (which he has! Put him next to LeClerc in a Ferrari and he'll be the quickest).

LH's position on the starting grid today is a wake-up call he sent to Mercedes. He will gain a lot of positions right after the start; he's by far the best driver of that part of the grid.

Master
    These new car regulations make for some great racing this season, long may it continue.

Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    These new car regulations make for some great racing this season, long may it continue.
    Some bike racing tactics being employed between Max and Charles these last two races. Let the other guy through then draft back past him. The yellow flags spoilt it a bit at the end there, but it was almost a case of not wanting to lead going into the final lap. Should be a fascinating season ahead.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

Master
    Yes that added dimension this year makes for an entertaining spectacle.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    LH's position on the starting grid today is a wake-up call he sent to Mercedes. He will gain a lot of positions right after the start; he's by far the best driver of that part of the grid.
    I expected that too, but I didn't see it, although I only watched the short highlights on YT.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Hamilton was so unlucky to miss the pit lane for his tyre change.
    If he’d got in at that time, he’d have probably finished 6th? And possibly driver of the day?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Hamilton was so unlucky to miss the pit lane for his tyre change.
    If he’d got in at that time, he’d have probably finished 6th? And possibly driver of the day?
    No he wasn't "so unlucky". Just like he would not have been "so lucky" in the other case. It's motor racing. And there would have been little merit in finishing 6th with the 5th/6th fastest car of the grid; at best he would have made amend for his performance in qualifying.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    No he wasn't "so unlucky". Just like he would not have been "so lucky" in the other case. It's motor racing. And there would have been little merit in finishing 6th with the 5th/6th fastest car of the grid; at best he would have made amend for his performance in qualifying.
    So Perez wasn’t unlucky that he pitted one lap before the safety car?

So Perez wasn’t unlucky that he pitted one lap before the safety car?
    No. He may have been fooled by Ferrari but otherwise it is what racing is about. Just like CL wasn't unlucky to have the virtual yellow flag that allowed MV to fill the 4s+ gap he had created.

Master
    No. He may have been fooled by Ferrari but otherwise it is what racing is about. Just like CL wasn't unlucky to have the virtual yellow flag that allowed MV to fill the 4s+ gap he had created.
    Of course he was unlucky. It may be that that’s motor racing, but just because it’s motor racing it doesn’t mean someone can’t be unlucky or lucky.
    Groesjean was unlucky to have that bad accident and was very lucky to get out of it alive.

It’s very rare that a safety car causes the pit lane entry to be closed. So it was unlucky.

But it’s good to see Hamilton is still living rent free in that head of yours.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Anyone used any companies that offer all in f1 packages eg weekend at spa looking to go to one this year,

Was also thinking of going to Silverstone but looks Like all tickets are sold out , anyone been and bought tickets outside the circuit its a long way to go if I can't get a ticket outside

Craftsman

F1 - 2022

“From GP247 - “Latifi commented: “Surviving the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix blooper was tough. But I can’t seem to stop crashing”…”

Why is Rosberg not driving this weekend instead of Latifi? And did Latifi really feel the need to underline his position as outgoing driver by crashing again? I suppose someone has to take Mazespin’s place as worst driver on track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by doebag; 9th April 2022 at 08:30. Reason: Citing sources

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by doebag View Post
    “From GP247 - “Latifi commented: “Surviving the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix blooper was tough. But I can’t seem to stop crashing”…”

Why is Rosberg not driving this weekend instead of Latifi? And did Latifi really feel the need to underline his position as outgoing driver by crashing again? I suppose someone has to take Mazespin’s place as worst driver on track.

Ha ha ha so true.

Whats going on with Mercedes though they really do seem to well of the Red Bull and Ferraris this season and it's defo not mind games.

Master

While Latifi does crash a lot, that accident was absolutely Strolls fault. Stroll even seemed sheepish when interviewed in the pen.

Master
    While Latifi does crash a lot, that accident was absolutely Strolls fault. Stroll even seemed sheepish when interviewed in the pen.
    It's never Strolls fault, how could it be he's the son of a billionaire things can't ever possibly be their fault.

Craftsman
    I’d say six of one, half a dozen etc

Stroll drifted over from the left which appears to be the racing line, Latifi shouldn’t have gunned it through the narrowing gap. I think they were both acting very sheepish because they were both at fault and didn’t want it to land on them.

Because the Rosberg story was an April Fool's joke.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Because the Rosberg story was an April Fool's joke.
    Ah darn it. Stupid stupid stupid. Although I’ll bet Williams were wishing it wasn’t.

Master
    I’d say six of one, half a dozen etc

Stroll drifted over from the left which appears to be the racing line, Latifi shouldn’t have gunned it through the narrowing gap. I think they were both acting very sheepish because they were both at fault and didn’t want it to land on them.

Well it was stroll who got penalised for it.

It's clear Stroll has no situational awareness And seems to consistently drive like he's the only one on the track. Today was another example of that, and not an isolated accident.

There was recently a compilation online somewhere(I'll try to find it and link it) of like 15(!) similar incidents caused by Stroll not paying attention.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Adge View Post
    It's clear Stroll has no situational awareness And seems to consistently drive like he's the only one on the track. Today was another example of that, and not an isolated accident.

There was recently a compilation online somewhere(I'll try to find it and link it) of like 15(!) similar incidents caused by Stroll not paying attention.

One of the best comments I heard today was from a Dutch commentator saying something like 'the only time Stroll looks in his mirrors is after getting out of the shower'.

Master
    Going to be really interesting season, despite my earlier comments on Mercedes they sit above Red Bull in the Constructors and both Hamilton and Russel are above the world champion in the Drivers.

Ferrari clearly have the pace on the Red Bulls and the already two retirements for Verstappen mean he could already be facing an uphill battle without Hamilton to blame this year.

I am really enjoying the competitive and unpredictable nature of this years season.

Another great drive by Charles this weekend and he managed to double the number of his GP wins in the last 3 races than he managed in his previous 3 years at Ferrari. But it’s not just about the car

Another hilarious outing for MV which shared many of the hallmarks of Bahrain, but at least this time Checo managed to finish. Plus MV is starting to turn in to Alonso which is even more hilarious.

A less than ideal weekend for Mercedes, however some silver linings. Firstly Russell drove a very good race to get his first real podium. Hamilton was again a bit unlucky with the timing of the SC, but was well within striking range of Russell when the team told him to hang back (so much for predicted team orders then). Most importantly they got both cars over the line. They are still about 1 second off the pace, however we know that their engine has been turned down in order to reduce the porpoising and we also know that they will have new updates for Imola. The spending cap and the number of hours teams are allowed to work on the cars is also having an impact. No more throwing money and Labour at a problem in order to find a resolution.

Shaping up to be an interesting season, but it will become more interesting when we see Ferrari, RedBull and Mercedes all fighting it.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Toto said there won't be any updates in Imola, or anywhere, until they understand and resolve the porpoising. Which makes sense.

Another great drive by Charles this weekend and he managed to double the number of his GP wins in the last 3 races than he managed in his previous 3 years at Ferrari. But it’s not just about the car
    It was all about Lewis until now, not the fact that he won all those championships because of the car. How things change depending on who's driving the winning car...

Another hilarious outing for MV which shared many of the hallmarks of Bahrain, but at least this time Checo managed to finish. Plus MV is starting to turn in to Alonso which is even more hilarious. A less than ideal weekend for Mercedes, however some silver linings. Firstly Russell drove a very good race to get his first real podium. Hamilton was again a bit unlucky with the timing of the SC, but was well within striking range of Russell when the team told him to hang back (so much for predicted team orders then).
    So you find it funny when MV has to retire (from second place) through no fault of his own and find that the 2 Mercs are worthy 3rd ("real" podium) and 4th (although again you bemoan LH bad luck. Basically if he doesn't win it's bad luck, yes?)

Most importantly they got both cars over the line. They are still about 1 second off the pace, however we know that their engine has been turned down in order to reduce the porpoising and we also know that they will have new updates for Imola. The spending cap and the number of hours teams are allowed to work on the cars is also having an impact. No more throwing money and Labour at a problem in order to find a resolution.
    I cannot find a source for dadam02's post but he seems to contradict your alleged knowledge.

Shaping up to be an interesting season, but it will become more interesting when we see Ferrari, RedBull and Mercedes all fighting it.
    Red Bull? I thought it was funny when they were out...

It was all about Lewis until now, not the fact that he won all those championships because of the car. How things change depending on who's driving the winning car...

So you find it funny when MV has to retire (from second place) through no fault of his own and find that the 2 Mercs are worthy 3rd ("real" podium) and 4th (although again you bemoan LH bad luck. Basically if he doesn't win it's bad luck, yes?)

I cannot find a source for dadam02's post but he seems to contradict your alleged knowledge.

Red Bull? I thought it was funny when they were out...
    Oh dear have I upset your sensibilities again 😀

Regarding the “it’s the car” comment. I was simply replaying the boring trope that luminaries like you have preached for years. But if LeClerc wins the WDC this year, will you be banging the ‘it’s the car” mantra, or simply recognise that it’s a combination of both car and driver that wins and that this has always been the case including the titles won by LH?

As for Mercedes, lots of information exists on the Web, but as it seems you lost your ability to Google you can start here https://youtu.be/P1CLTdsHQPM. It talks in detail about how the 2022 regs are impacting the teams.

Yes I found it amusing that MV retired, sorry if this offends you, but having had to listen to Horner and Marko banging on about how they have poached the best engineers, I found it rather ironic However I’m not sure how you know for certain that it wasn’t something he did. He had been warned during the race about temps i didn’t see him backing off. But like you I don’t know for certain, plus I wouldn’t want to contradict your “alleged knowledge” either.
    And yes I know it’s rather unsporting to be pleased when a team/individual fails, but then we all do it at times, including you.

As for Hamilton, yep, a bit unlucky, he pitted just before the safety car, and Russell pitted during the safety car, hence was able to jump him. Fine drive by both and no “team orders” to report, which will no doubt disappoint many, especially as it was another boring trope trotted out over the years.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Otmar pushing FIA to investigate the link between Haas and Ferrari claiming 'Ferrari designed their [Haas] car'...

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/80...ari-haas-link/

Pretty ironic conning from Mr Otmar 'Pink Mercedes' Szafnaur himself!!

Master
    What an incident packed qualifying for the sprint race. Mercedes still clearly struggling it's all about Ferrari and Red Bull this year it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    What an incident packed qualifying for the sprint race. Mercedes still clearly struggling it's all about Ferrari and Red Bull this year it seems.

Agreed. Mercedes are still struggling, however as demonstrated by Norris, the issue doesn’t appear the PU.

Interestedly I read something the other day that following the Ferrari “issue” in 2018 and subsequent “penalty”, which resulted in Ferrari performing so poorly in 2019-2021, they got a significant amount of extra wind tunnel time compared with RBR and Mercedes. Now, given that the 2021/22 regs were such a massive departure from the previous regs, just how valuable might that be.

Hopefully we will continue to see mixed weather over the weekend especially as the battle between MV and Chas could get very spicy.

Friedrich Nietzsche