closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Smiths PRS-29 and ETA2801-2?

Craftsman

Smiths PRS-29 and ETA2801-2?

Apologies if this has been answered loads of times but I can't find my answer at the moment!

Compared to many on the forum, my watch ownership in relation to cost/budget will always be modest so I tend to look at the more affordable (all relative, I know!) end.

I like military/field themed watches and something to wear every day without being too precious about it. I bought a new CWC G10 and I liked the watch and the size but not the lack of water resistance so I sold that. I then purchased Precista PRS-10 which was great with better specs than the CWC and with a little extra weight to, improved WR and sapphire but I did not like the date option so I sold that.

I have been pointed to a CWC G10 GS sapphire, no date and my thoughts are that it would be a 'fit and forget' watch and would probably be all I need,
    but -

I now find myself looking at a Smiths PRS-29 with the ETA2801-2 fitted. In regard to this one I like the idea of a hand wound watch and like that idea of the daily wind! I understand that this movement is or was used in many other watches so I guess it's a reliable one??

Roughly, if I were to wear it as envisage, every day, how often would I need to have it serviced and, when that day comes, would the cost of servicing out weigh the price of the watch?

If it broke would it be worth putting in a new movement or, at this price, is it considered, dare I say it, a disposable item?

Also, I have seen that the early PRS-29 was slightly bigger and came fitted with a 'bombe' style crystal. I see that the current edition, albeit smaller, has a flat crystal. Is the later crystal considered and upgrade?

Thanks for you thoughts.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    Apologies if this has been answered loads of times but I can't find my answer at the moment!

Compared to many on the forum, my watch ownership in relation to cost/budget will always be modest so I tend to look at the more affordable (all relative, I know!) end.

I like military/field themed watches and something to wear every day without being too precious about it. I bought a new CWC G10 and I liked the watch and the size but not the lack of water resistance so I sold that. I then purchased Precista PRS-10 which was great with better specs than the CWC and with a little extra weight to, improved WR and sapphire but I did not like the date option so I sold that.

I have been pointed to a CWC G10 GS sapphire, no date and my thoughts are that it would be a 'fit and forget' watch and would probably be all I need,
    but -

I now find myself looking at a Smiths PRS-29 with the ETA2801-2 fitted. In regard to this one I like the idea of a hand wound watch and like that idea of the daily wind! I understand that this movement is or was used in many other watches so I guess it's a reliable one??

Roughly, if I were to wear it as envisage, every day, how often would I need to have it serviced and, when that day comes, would the cost of servicing out weigh the price of the watch?

If it broke would it be worth putting in a new movement or, at this price, is it considered, dare I say it, a disposable item?

Also, I have seen that the early PRS-29 was slightly bigger and came fitted with a 'bombe' style crystal. I see that the current edition, albeit smaller, has a flat crystal. Is the later crystal considered and upgrade?

Thanks for you thoughts.
    It's all about the oil. If you want a simple service, and this is definitely a simple service with plenty of folk who can service it with change from a ton. Spares are easily available and a well looked after movement will last as well as anything else that doesn't have a more relaxed beat rate. While you can get new movements to drop in you'd be better servicing the one you have got. The bottom line is Eddie reliably makes a lovely watch and you will not go too far wrong.

The next batch will be fitted with the Sellita SW210, ETA movements are still unavailable. I usually get Swiss movements from 2 Swiss suppliers and neither of them can get ETA at the moment.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Grand Master
    Agree with Matt on this one, it’s a very straightforward movement to service, ‘change from a ton’ is in the right ballpark regarding cost. It’s basically a 2824 without auto- winding, many parts are interchangeable. Occasionally the winding wheel and sliding pinion can give trouble and need replacing but high quality generic parts are now available cheaply so it won’t be an issue going forward, I fixed this recently on one recently and I was happy with the parts available.

I strongly recommend this model, only problem is getting hold of one, they sell like hot cakes. The white dial version is rather nice too.

Sellita’s version of the movement should be fine too, same comments apply.

Thanks for you thoughts.
    As Matt has said, the ETA2801-2 is very reliable and hardy. It can be easily repaired, regulated or serviced by many independent watchmakers and as it's been in production for many years, the supply of parts shouldn't be an issue. I think you'd have to have had a major disaster if a replacement movement were required.

Winding them is a nice feeling and I like manuals more than automatics, as during this time of lockdowns, you can wind them daily and if you're not that energetic, they'll still be fine. As always, wind until they stop.

They can also be very accurate movements. Here are a couple of tables from timegraphers showing how the 2801 in my PRS-29B (the now discontinued slightly larger version of the 29A) behaved when it was last serviced back in 2012 and then below, how it's behaving now. Very little difference over the last eight years. I'm actually a bit shocked it's been that long!

The original version with the acrylic crystal is my favourite. Runs very well, lovely to wind and feels very much like a vintage watch. Eddie’s finest watch in my humble opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    As Matt has said, the ETA2801-2 is very reliable and hardy. It can be easily repaired, regulated or serviced by many independent watchmakers and as it's been in production for many years, the supply of parts shouldn't be an issue. I think you'd have to have had a major disaster if a replacement movement were required.

Winding them is a nice feeling and I like manuals more than automatics, as during this time of lockdowns, you can wind them daily and if you're not that energetic, they'll still be fine. As always, wind until they stop.

They can also be very accurate movements. Here are a couple of tables from timegraphers showing how the 2801 in my PRS-29B (the now discontinued slightly larger version of the 29A) behaved when it was last serviced back in 2012 and then below, how it's behaving now. Very little difference over the last eight years. I'm actually a bit shocked it's been that long!

Excuse me for the impromptu: is the lift angle for the 2801-2 53º or 50º? I found both per different sources...

Thanks a lot,
    Tom

Craftsman
    Owned a 29a for a couple of years, a real nice watch, though with the launch of the Navigator I decided to part with it to help fund getting this new model. Also have the eta 2801-2 movement in a USAF issue Marathon (Gallet) GG-W-113 from 1985 and still running like new. Very straight forward to get serviced with no issues currently on parts as far as I'm aware.

Grand Master
    One thing I don’t like about the ETA 2892, 2824 and 2801 movements is the tendency for the back of the winding wheel to rub against the mainplate. I don’t fully understand this problem, some watches seem to suffer with it whilst others don’t. ETA don’t stipulate that the back of the wheel should be lubricated, but judging from the witness marks and wear observed when stripping movements down its clear that there is contact. I always grease the back of the wheel, that’s what I was taught and it makes sense. Like most wear issues this becomes a problem if the watch hasn’t been serviced for several years.

As I mentioned on another thread, I recently encountered a 2801 with a damaged barrel arbour, almost certainly caused by continuing to turn the crown when the watch was fully wound. Never seen this before!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas_Meinhardt View Post
    Excuse me for the impromptu: is the lift angle for the 2801-2 53º or 50º? I found both per different sources...

Thanks a lot,
    Tom
    I found and used 53. The first table is from Duncan Potter at Genesis Watchmaking and he used 52. :)
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    The next batch will be fitted with the Sellita SW210, ETA movements are still unavailable. I usually get Swiss movements from 2 Swiss suppliers and neither of them can get ETA at the moment.

Eddie
    Thanks for the update Eddie - should you see this reply - could you tell (or anyone else?) me why was the earlier bombe crystal changed to the box crystal?

Craftsman
    Many thanks to everyone else for the replies - has really helped me making a decision, but, as walkerwek1958 mentions - getting one will be the hard part!!

Master
    Thanks for the update Eddie - should you see this reply - could you tell (or anyone else?) me why was the earlier bombe crystal changed to the box crystal?
    As I understand it Eddie was getting too many returns with cracked/scratched acrylic crystals, so now specifies sapphire in all cases. Acrylic can be retrofitted into some watches - I've done it a couple of times on TF and other watches - although water-resistance is likely to be compromised.

i paid 85 + signed delivery both ways to the watchmaker for basic service.

some people cant find a watchmaker who doesnt rip people off and you may get quotes of double that or more.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.Ldn View Post
    As I understand it Eddie was getting too many returns with cracked/scratched acrylic crystals, so now specifies sapphire in all cases. Acrylic can be retrofitted into some watches - I've done it a couple of times on TF and other watches - although water-resistance is likely to be compromised.
    Ah! That makes sense - thanks.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    i paid 85 + signed delivery both ways to the watchmaker for basic service.

some people cant find a watchmaker who doesnt rip people off and you may get quotes of double that or more.
    This, and the other replies, have reassured me that servicing issues are not a problem for this movement or the Sellita one in the new batch. Thanks for your reply.

Just got to try and nab one now!

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    The original version with the acrylic crystal is my favourite. Runs very well, lovely to wind and feels very much like a vintage watch. Eddie’s finest watch in my humble opinion.

I own an original Smiths W10 an am fortunate to have handled one of these before - a marvelous recreation!

Craftsman
    Well, I managed to buy one, new from the shop when it last opened - it has the Sellita movement. I’m really pleased with the look and the way the watch wears with the long lugs.

Having read about how some people overwind and damage their hand winders I’m paranoid about damaging it!

So far, I wind it every morning at the same time (8am). Using my thumb and forefinger I roll the crown. I guess that rolling movement gives about half of a full revolution of the crown. I do this for 20 times.

My question I guess is should I be winding it more - ie: 20 full revolutions (or more or less) to get to a fully wound situation?

I haven’t really got the feel yet and don’t want to overwind!

Thanks

Craftsman
    Well, I managed to buy one, new from the shop when it last opened - it has the Sellita movement. I’m really pleased with the look and the way the watch wears with the long lugs.

Having read about how some people overwind and damage their hand winders I’m paranoid about damaging it!

So far, I wind it every morning at the same time (8am). Using my thumb and forefinger I roll the crown. I guess that rolling movement gives about half of a full revolution of the crown. I do this for 20 times.

My question I guess is should I be winding it more - ie: 20 full revolutions (or more or less) to get to a fully wound situation?

I haven’t really got the feel yet and don’t want to overwind!

Thanks

I have the Navigator with the SW210 with the only difference being that it is the top grade but has the same power reserve ect. I find that from a completely unwound movement that it takes about 38 winds to pretty much give it full power and then I wind mine once a day also around 20 winds but I have never had a problem with over winding and I will wind it all the way until it stops but giving it less torque as it gets tighter just until you feel it stop and then let off.

This is just how I do it so it is really a preference for each person. Enjoy your watch my friend.

I haven’t really got the feel yet and don’t want to overwind
    You can't overwind. When you reach full wind, you'll know, and unless you're The Incredible Hulk or use a pair of pliers, you won't be able to wind further.

I fully wind each day (part of the morning ritual).

Craftsman
    Thanks to you both - very helpful. I wound mine this morning and I am now happy with the winding procedure!

Journeyman
    Missed out on the original one, but these pictures are great.

Craftsman
    same here, 20 winds from flat and about 10 every morning. Watch goes slightly tighter before the stop.

Interested to know what’s the recommended service intervals on the ETA movements.

I have the PRS-29AM with Sellita and, as the others in the thread mentioned, it’s right at 20 winds. There’s a really nice feeling when you’re winding it and it indeed requires more power to turn the closer you get to full.

It was my first manual wind watch, so it was a little harrowing at first. Once you get the feeling for it, though, it’s quite nice.

Craftsman
    I have a 29a with the eta movement. Had it serviced once at about £160 I think. I also have w10’s but for me the prs is a nicer watch! My wife says it’s the nicest watch I have. I can’t recommend it highly enough. It’s fab. I’d say go for it :)

Thanks. I have managed to purchase one with an ETA movement and looking forward to its arrival.

Craftsman

Congratulations! Can’t wait to hear what you think of the 29a.

Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Thanks. I have managed to purchase one with an ETA movement and looking forward to its arrival.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    So did you ever get the watch? What do you think?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post

Agreed, the ETA version is a nicer watch and closer homage to the original W10, the number 4 more accurate, the acrylic crystal, and how close the numbers are spaced correctly to the indices. However both are lovely watches. The PRS 29AM on a Staib bracelet is even nicer in my viewImage1680353859.985473.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    IMG_2436.JPG

Journeyman
    IMG_2435.JPG

Journeyman
    Please excuse the grainy photos