closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Date change issue..possible damage on my Sinn 556 with SW200

Craftsman

Date change issue..possible damage on my Sinn 556 with SW200

Just after a bit of advice . got this watch which runs great, but last month when I went to adjust the time at 8.30, while unscrewing the crown, the crown did not pop out, it just kept spinning, I noticed then the date wheel was stuck between dates. managed to get it out ok, but now the watch changes date at 12.20 exactly instead of its previous 12.01..it functions fine. what damage could have been done, and would it be ok to leave until it needs a service. I am avoiding any adjustments from now on after 6.oo pm on a SW200..as I have had this before but never affecting the date change..any thoughts or advice appreciated...

Grand Master
    Scratching my head to work out how this has happened. I suspect the date was in the process of changing and you've used the quickset. The wheels that drive the date wheel have changed their position relative to the hour wheel which they're driven by. Possibly one of the wheels has lifted and essentially 'jumped a tooth', never seen this before but it's the only way I can see to explain what's happened. Alternatively a tooth may have broken. Are you sure everything works OK? Try the quickset date change and feel for any roughness at one spot. If all's working well I wouldn't do anything, but I suspect all isn`t well.

This requires the dial side to be stripped down and the dial removed to rectify. I don`t know which Selita parts are interchangeable with ETA 2824 on the dial side, most repairers will have a few ETA parts kicking around but Selita parts are rarer. I doubt that the date wheel itself is damaged but I could be wrong, if that's a Sinn-specific part it'll have to go back to Sinn for fixing.

When setting the date the golden rule is to STOP turning the crown if something feels wrong, this will prevent damage, but often the enthusiastic owner has already done the damage before the message travels from brain to hand. I`m not infallible, I`ve tried setting the using a quickset on a watch then realised it feels wrong and stopped before damage gets done.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the detailed reply, I myself was at a loss to work it out. But the date has changed without issue for a month now, exactly at 20 past the hour... is keeping time to within two seconds a day.. so it all seems to be working fine. It winds fine and the quickset seems to have no issues and does not feel strange. I may send it back under warranty and just get it checked over... thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    If you send it back under warranty they may claim its been damaged by user error and the warranty won’t cover the repair.

Craftsman
    Returned from Sinn with a new movement fitted... date change mechanism was damaged... no charge and done under warranty...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Frantastic View Post
    Returned from Sinn with a new movement fitted... date change mechanism was damaged... no charge and done under warranty...

Great customer service