closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bought three new Rolex homages today....................

Craftsman

Bought three new Rolex homages today....................

.................................................. ..........for my smart watch!

There are some very clever people out in the digital wilderness.

Last picture shows the watch on one of the dimmed down settings.

Master
    Where did you get those from if you don't mind me asking?

Master
    The one thing I wish my Apple Watch did... would look great with a Monaco flavoured dial but zero chance of that

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MST View Post
    Where did you get those from if you don't mind me asking?
    I found them via youtube. Search for this chap (click his name to take you there): Svartling

I had to pay for watchmaker premium (£4) but the faces are free. There are lots of built-in features, they really well done actually.

Master
    Blog Entries
    How is that any different to traditional fakes?

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Wondering if the Rolex trade marks are licensed? Unlikely if the watch faces are free...
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Wondering if the Rolex trade marks are licensed? Unlikely if the watch faces are free...
    Do you think Rolex would allow their logo and designs to be used in this way for £4?

Craftsman
    I have paid for real ones, though not a Datejust or Sky Dweller, so put your toys back in the box. These are a bit of fun, cannot to be sold off as the real deal, and I would hope that Rolex doesn't get a **** on about it. If people take offence to an electronic watch face then heaven help them in my view.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by electorn; 1st December 2018 at 16:33.

So if you once bought a real one, is okay to buy not-so real ones?

Master
    If you can't see the difference then you shouldn't really be allowed out alone.

Master
    That's quite clever....and harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    That's quite clever....and harmless.
    Honest question: what makes it harmless? What is the difference between printing the Rolex logo onto the dial of a 'real' watch and using it as a digital image in a smart watch? Honestly, I don't understand the difference.

And its a bit early for the snowflakes, if only I had a watch that smiled at me like that... I hope the old bill don't come knocking your door in.

Master
    Oh dear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Cool :) And fun :)

What kind of smart watch is that you're using and do you wear it much compared to the others in the collection? I'm still in two minds about one, but not sure it would get worn enough to justify purchasing.

Master
    Nice for a bit of a novelty. But walking around with the digital Rolex face I could imagine being a bit embarassing!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Honest question: what makes it harmless? What is the difference between printing the Rolex logo onto the dial of a 'real' watch and using it as a digital image in a smart watch? Honestly, I don't understand the difference.
    An electronic image of a dial can't be any form of deception...because it looks like an electronic image.
    It's got no hands, no physical markers. And that's ignoring the obvious fact that the case is 'wrong.' It's the case of a Smart watch, not a Rolex.
    Oddly, i'm just putting up a Tate Gallery print of a Lichtenstein painting. Is that 'wrong'...it certainly looks quite like the original at a casual glance.
    Last edited by paskinner; 1st December 2018 at 17:29.

An electronic image of a dial can't be any form of deception...because it looks like an electronic image; same as the digital dials in cars, they never look truly 'analogue.'
    It's got no hands, no physical markers, no-one could be fooled. And that's ignoring the obvious fact that the case is 'wrong.' I see it as a clever bit of fun (and I don't generally like 'homages.')
    Using the same logic, I could put the Rolex logo on my new line of clothes, as nobody could be fooled into thinking they were actually by Rolex?

Master
    Only a lawyer knows the answer to that.....

Only a lawyer knows the answer to that.....
    Don't need a lawyer.

Their logo is protected and they will reserve usage of it, especially in connection with wristwatches. Doesn't take much imagination that they won't allow somebody else to generate revenue with their designs and logo.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have a Rolex logo on My computer desktop. I'm going to delete it now in fear that someone might think I'm passing it off as a genuine Rolex watch.

Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    I have a Rolex logo on My computer desktop. I'm going to delete it now in fear that someone might think I'm passing it off as a genuine Rolex watch.
    Are you selling computers with Rolex logos? I wouldn't recommend that.

Don't get me wrong - I don't think there is any risk for the OP.

But the marketing of such watch faces certainly infringes Rolex copyrights and as such they are probably illegal to sell. In the end, no difference to fake manual watches. You don't know if Rolex are contemplating selling their own digital watches?

As such, I don't understand why it would make any difference to post pictures of fake (manual) watches or fake watch faces.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Are you selling computers with Rolex logos? I wouldn't recommend that.
    No but if I do someone might mistake it has a Rolex as my screen saver.

Journeyman
    Don't get me wrong - I don't think there is any risk for the OP.

But the marketing of such watch faces certainly infringes Rolex copyrights and as such they are probably illegal to sell. In the end, no difference to fake manual watches. You don't know if Rolex are contemplating selling their own digital watches?

As such, I don't understand why it would make any difference to post pictures of fake (manual) watches or fake watch faces.
    It's my understanding that the faces are free, thus in my opinion are completely harmless fun. It would be different for sure if someone was making money from selling a Rolex branded face, but that's not the case here. The money paid by the OP was for the program to manage watch faces, of which there are thousands available without any branding at all....

I don't see this as fake in any way, personally speaking. But again, personally speaking, I'd probably take the Rolex logo off the faces for daily use! It's probably very easy to do too with the right tools on the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    No but if I do someone might mistake it has a Rolex as my screen saver.
    You are free to put Rolex or any other logo on your screensaver. It becomes a problem when you start selling products with the logo on them.

Do you think Eddie would be happy if I started selling a new series of watch faces with Smiths, Precista and Dreadnought logos and designs?

Quote Originally Posted by sweegie View Post
    It's my understanding that the faces are free, thus in my opinion are completely harmless fun. It would be different for sure if someone was making money from selling a Rolex branded face, but that's not the case here. The money paid by the OP was for the program to manage watch faces, of which there are thousands available without any branding at all....

I don't see this as fake in any way, personally speaking. But again, personally speaking, I'd probably take the Rolex logo off the faces for daily use! It's probably very easy to do too with the right tools on the computer.
    Even giving them away for free might be a problem, as there are probably other sources of revenue attached to it (ads on the website or similar). And in the end, Rolex would probably even object if they did it for free.

Again, I don't think the risk lies with the buyer, but with the seller (even if free). And I don't understand the hypocrisy that we all agree it's not okay to post pictures of fake watches or any other fake items (boxes, warranty cards, jackets or shoes) but everybody seems to think these are fine.

I am out now.

Master
    But how can it be a 'fake' when it bears no real resemblance to a Rolex? The dial is obviously digital, it has no physical hands, the case bears no resemblance to a Rolex, there is no bracelet....

Master
    I have absolutely no issue with this but unfortunately it's one of those topics that is, always has been and always will be a can of worms here on TZ-UK, a bit like discussing politics or religion at a dinner party.

But how can it be a 'fake' when it bears no real resemblance to a Rolex? The dial is obviously digital, it has no physical hands, the case bears no resemblance to a Rolex, there is no bracelet....
    If I manufacture a t-shirt, and put the Rolex logo on it - will I get a higher price than without the logo?

Rolex worked hard to build a brand and they want to control which products are distributed using that brand logo.

Is it really difficult?

Christ.

Look, it obviously isn't a fake watch, but it still uses the designs, name and logo of a company that certainly hasn't authorised the use of its design, name and logo.

The OP may not have made the damned things, but it the unauthorised display of the design, name and logo of Rolex still doesn't sit quite right on a product that has not been made or authorised to be made by Rolex.

It's not rocket science, unauthorised is unauthorised.

Is it the worst thing in the world? Well, no-one is going to be fooled into paying £6k for a fake Rolex smartwatch... But there aren't shades of "legal" and "illegal", there is only one or the other. Someone is making money from something they haven't designed and that is illegal.

Craftsman
    Oh dear, I am shocked that this has gone down hill already, perhaps I had better stick a Breitling face on there to calm things down?

I think it’s quite clear that the watch pictured is not a ‘fake rolex’ per se. It is also not purporting to be any of the Rolex models loosely imitated on the electronic dial displays.

The use of the Rolex logo in this way is however trademark infringement, unless the developer has acquired the rights through whatever means to use for this purpose (perhaps unlikely).

Quote Originally Posted by electorn View Post
    Oh dear, I am shocked that this has gone down hill already, perhaps I had better stick a Breitling face on there to calm things down?
    I feel ashamed, as a member here, that you'd even consider that as a necessary penance. There's no need to kick you like that. Maybe try and find something less blingy and embarrassing, perhaps something by Graham.

People get snotty about homages with different branding, but don't see that using a company's trademarks is an issue?

Funny old world...

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    People get snotty about homages with different branding, but don't see that using a company's trademarks is an issue?

Funny old world...
    You might do if it was your trademark that was being used.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Blog Entries
    Over reactions from the usual maniacs.

Master
    So the Rolex spinners I ordered for my Bentley ..................

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Christ.

Look, it obviously isn't a fake watch, but it still uses the designs, name and logo of a company that certainly hasn't authorised the use of its design, name and logo.

The OP may not have made the damned things, but it the unauthorised display of the design, name and logo of Rolex still doesn't sit quite right on a product that has not been made or authorised to be made by Rolex.

Is it the worst thing in the world? Well, no-one is going to be fooled into paying £6k for a fake Rolex smartwatch... But there aren't shades of "legal" and "illegal", there is only one or the other. Someone is making money from something they haven't designed and that is illegal.
    Sensible response.
    It's not the end of the world and, though ld never wear a fake watch, l know people who do.
    But, yeah, unauthorized is unauthorized.

Don't ever throw out the possibility that rolex - the great survivor - will one day do this kind of watch.
    They did quartz to hedge their bets and another wave of threat approaches.
    And if they do, you can be sure that these snide digital efforts will be attacked with the usual rolex efficiency.

But they'll never stamp out fakes. Not ever.

I'm tempted to phone rolex uks head office just to hear their view on the matter, but from previous experience lm inclined to think that a straight answer to any question might be easier to obtain from a politician!
    Last edited by Umbongo; 2nd December 2018 at 21:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Christ.

OMG, I don't think these have been authorised, is it worth the risk just to create an impression that I am really rich?

Mitch

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    OMG, I don't think these have been authorised, is it worth the risk just to create an impression that I am really rich?

Mitch
    Cool! Is that for sale? I’ll give you £5 over market value if it comes with box and papers!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Could the tattooist go to jail if he does me a huge Rolex coronet on my arse? He's charging money to recreate the trademark after all.

This is how I view this thread – as a load of old Rolex arse. Jesus!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    If you can't see the difference then you shouldn't really be allowed out alone.
    If you think it’s ok to reproduce a protected trademark in the same category without permission then you need to think again.

Master
    If you think it’s ok to reproduce a protected trademark in the same category without permission then you need to think again.
    I didn't say that.
    You asked "How is that any different to traditional fakes?"
    I would maintain there is a heck of a difference between the watches pictured and a traditional fake.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I didn't say that.
    You asked "How is that any different to traditional fakes?"
    I would maintain there is a heck of a difference between the watches pictured and a traditional fake.
    They are both infringement of IP, simple isn’t it ...

Master
    They are both infringement of IP, simple isn’t it ...
    You are in for a long life of panty wetting if you are going to get bothered by this.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Could the tattooist go to jail if he does me a huge Rolex coronet on my arse? He's charging money to recreate the trademark after all.

This is how I view this thread – as a load of old Rolex arse. Jesus!
    Not the tattooist but you might, although apparently only if it's the logo (i.e. if it's the word 'Rolex' you should be ok). It also seems to depend on how many arses he / she tattoos (i.e. if lots over a period of time then they may be breaking international copyright law) :

https://www.quora.com/Can-I-legally-...ademarked-logo

Post made me laugh though and i agree it's a load of arse.

I reckon Rolex SA has better things to do with it's time than to chase down someone knocking out smart watch apps for a bit fun and a small profit.
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 4th December 2018 at 17:42.

Quote Originally Posted by sweegie View Post
    Cool! Is that for sale? I’ll give you £5 over market value if it comes with box and papers!!

Actually it is a very rare vintage piece, an 'Eric Clapton' model.

Even has an image of his guitar 'Blackie' on the LCD.

Mitch

Master
    Blog Entries
    You are in for a long life of panty wetting if you are going to get bothered by this.
    I guess some issues are beyond some ...

When did I say I was bothered? Try reading what is posted.
    Last edited by Montello; 4th December 2018 at 20:58.

Master
    My boss sits next to me and he's forever proudly showing of the array of knocky off watch faces on his Samsung smart watch.
    He think's I'm crazy for owning a box full real ones?! I had a Seamaster on the other day and he honestly said to me "I've got one of them - it's a Planet Ocean, look."