closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The DateJust and DayDate...peas in a pod.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Is your a titanium model

Also what size ? I couldn't find Arabic numerals on google.

I like the smooth bezel. Very nice.
    36mm Platinum 118206

Master
    Ok Thanks, I will take a look around tomorrow.

Master
    There’s no such thing as a titanium DayDate. Gold or platinum are the only options. You can always tell because the platinum versions have a smooth bezel, while all gold versions have the bevelled crown. There are no exceptions.
    Come to think of it, surely Rolex don’t offer any titanium watches.....and never have.
    Last edited by paskinner; 14th August 2019 at 05:17.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    There’s no such thing as a titanium DayDate. Gold or platinum are the only options. You can always tell because the platinum versions have a smooth bezel, while all gold versions have the bevelled crown. There are no exceptions.
    118209 = WG + smooth bezel.

Master
    I took a look at the usual crop of vendors and a 36mm WG or Platinum DD seems to go for around £22K.

I could buy a PP 5205 for around £25K

The PP does look classier but I suspect that the DD is more robust and easier to live with etc.

I will admit the Rolex smooth bezel and a pale blue dial does look good.

Master
    Well, well, I stand corrected. That model seems unique among modern DAyDates.....although the model was also offered with the traditional crown. I Can’t see that happening again...it would offend owners of the platinum version!
    Which tend to go for a great deal more.
    There’s a lovely sample on Chrono 24, smooth bezel, blue dial. £17k. If I had the spare money.....
    Last edited by paskinner; 14th August 2019 at 10:01.

Well, well, I stand corrected. That model seems unique among modern DAyDates.....although the model was also offered with the traditional crown. I Can’t see that happening again...it would offend owners of the platinum version!
    There’s a lovely sample on Chrono 24, smooth bezel, blue dial. £17k. If I had the spare money.....
    I get the differences with the bezels, but crown? Can you post some examples?

Master

The DateJust and DayDate...peas in a pod.

Apologies, my error. I meant ‘bezel.’ Anyway, here’s a yellow gold DayDate...the problem isn’t the watch...it’s the shirt.
    Last edited by paskinner; 14th August 2019 at 10:40.

Master
    Apologies, my error. I meant ‘bezel.’ Anyway, here’s a yellow gold DayDate...the problem isn’t the watch...it’s the shirt.
    I quite like the shirt, I think it'd suit me better than the DD!
    I've just returned from the RSC at St James' Square - I've put a scratch on my new DJ's bezel. Turns out they're closing soon for a 9 month refit. The phones & office will still be operational but callers will no longer be able to visit in person. They recommend using ADs during the closure period.
    I'm going to have to live with the scratch, the options were; dismantle the watch, polish & reassemble for £250 + VAT or buy a new bezel for £80, £35 fitting fee + VAT, neither of which appeal overly.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    I quite like the shirt, I think it'd suit me better than the DD!
    I've just returned from the RSC at St James' Square - I've put a scratch on my new DJ's bezel. Turns out they're closing soon for a 9 month refit. The phones & office will still be operational but callers will no longer be able to visit in person. They recommend using ADs during the closure period.
    I'm going to have to live with the scratch, the options were; dismantle the watch, polish & reassemble for £250 + VAT or buy a new bezel for £80, £35 fitting fee + VAT, neither of which appeal overly.
    The new cost plus fitting fee sounds cheap to me! Relatively, that is.

I assume it's in an exchange basis rather than straight purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I took a look at the usual crop of vendors and a 36mm WG or Platinum DD seems to go for around £22K.

I could buy a PP 5205 for around £25K

The PP does look classier but I suspect that the DD is more robust and easier to live with etc.

I will admit the Rolex smooth bezel and a pale blue dial does look good.
    Yes, that's about right. RRP on this was well over £40k, so "something of a bargain". A few years back I tried on a WG smooth bezel version w/ the dark-blue arabic wave dial + Oyster bracelet, a simply stunning watch. Sadly, I passed on it, and when I went back to see it again it had gone. These dials have a mesmerising sunburst effect on them, and the lighter and darker areas swap around as the light catches them from different angles.

One other thing about the 118206 is that it weighs half a pound.

Regarding the 5205, yes a corker, but you might want to try one on, as I found it looked rather thick, and so it seemed to sit too high on the wrist for my taste.
    Last edited by Holsterman; 14th August 2019 at 12:02.

P.S. here's the gorgeous WG version, on Oyster. Perfect.

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/rolex/day...-id7178782.htm

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    Yes, that's about right. RRP on this was well over £40k, so "something of a bargain". A few years back I tried on a WG smooth bezel version w/ the dark-blue arabic wave dial + Oyster bracelet, a simply stunning watch.

One other thing about the 118206 is that it weighs half a pound.
    I’m confused. Are you saying the white gold version cost over £40k? And the WG version weighs half a pound? I suspect these figures relate to the platinum version.

I’m confused. Are you saying the white gold version cost over £40k? And the WG version weighs half a pound? I suspect these figures relate to the platinum version.
    Hi, yes 118206 is platinum, and I think they were around £42k, if memory serves. Only recently discontinued, I gather.

The WG version would have been less, I guess. That's the 118209 which has the darker-blue arabic wave dial, vs the ice-blue with the platinum. The WG version is one of the best-looking Rolexes out there, going for around the same price as the unspeakably-ugly steel "Hulk", and less than a Daytona (he says controversially).
    Last edited by Holsterman; 14th August 2019 at 13:23.

Craftsman
    There were several variations of gold DD with smooth bezel. Search ref 118209 for example which includes a rather lovely white gold with dark blue dial.

Master

The DateJust and DayDate...peas in a pod.

That’s the version we are talking about......as best I can tell these are the only smooth bezel white gold DayDates ever produced. Although since the fifties, there have been an awful lot of variations.
    It’s gorgeous, but I’d still make the case for the current DD40 as special.
    The really ‘special’ bit of a DayDate for me...any vintage...is the Presidential bracelet. Wonderful on the wrist.
    Last edited by paskinner; 14th August 2019 at 14:06.

Yes, I agree the President bracelet looks the absolute business.

The 40mm seemed just a tad on the big side to me, when I tried one on, which is odd because I wear a Rolex sub from time to time, as well as a Seiko Monster which is 42mm, and both those look perfectly fine. The 36mm wears plenty big enough, and retains the original proportions. Different strokes.
    Last edited by Holsterman; 14th August 2019 at 14:13.