closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sensibly Proportioned Watch Thread

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    Well, it's like a dive watch. The lack of indexing makes it about as sensible as a ruler with only every 15th millimetere marked.
    It’s perfectly sensible for recreational diving. If you want to push your timing limits well good luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by lughugger; 11th September 2019 at 11:16.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Here are two sensibly proportioned watches on one sensibly proportioned bloke.

A not at all 'slightly daft' 39 Oyster Perpetual...
    Both look great on you and I only wish they wore the same way on me. The 36mm OP would look similar on my wrist, but it's not as nicely proportioned, and a 38mm instead of 39 would have made all the difference. However I'm perfectly willing to admit that it's my wrist that's not sensibly proportioned (or at least median sized), not the watch.

Here's my grandfather's Omega from 1967 (35mm) next to my Speedmaster, so both these were available new at that time. The Speedmaster must have been considered ridiculously huge back then...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

What is a 'reasonably sized' watch is a matter of opinion.

Some may think that 40mm is too big for anyone, but I think such people are in a minority.

I have watches from 34mm to 45mm and I wear them all from time to time, but whilst I find the big ones too big for comfortable daily wear, anything under 38mm looks too small in much the same way.

I'm not a big bloke, but I think 40-42mm watches look fine on me and I wouldn't buy any new watch at much under 40mm, personally.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

36mm. Brilliant bracelet too.

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

Master
    I have to say I quite like the look of this one. Affordable, and at 39mm not huge for a dive watch. I'd argue that even for those with slim wrists, anything up to 40mm is a pretty wearable diver, as it's the same dial as a 36mm watch, just with a bit more bezel.

Also comes in a more modern black and white flavour without the faux aged lume.

https://baltic-watches.com/en/aquasc...he-black-cream
    Last edited by Itsguy; 12th September 2019 at 16:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I have to say I quite like the look of this one. Affordable, and at 39mm not huge for a dive watch. I'd argue that even for those with slim wrists, anything up to 40mm is a pretty wearable diver, as it's the same dial as a 36mm watch, just with a bit more bezel.

Also comes in a more modern black and white flavour without the faux aged lume.

https://baltic-watches.com/en/aquasc...he-black-cream
    Wish this was quartz. I can't live with miyota timekeeping!

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    36mm. Brilliant bracelet too.
    Plenty big enough isn't it!

Anyway, I've admitted defeat and ordered a 41mm Certina. I was in Argos earlier and tried on one of those ridiculous new Citizens (the BN0085-01E I think) and I was surprised how well it wore, if you ignore the weight of the damn thing!

The Certina is too big but aren't they all.

Alex

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Wish this was quartz. I can't live with miyota timekeeping!
    'Wish this was quartz' is something you don't often hear, but I agree. I wasn't aware of Miyota timekeeping and had to look it up, 10-30 seconds a day - I guess the second hand is decorative!

'Wish this was quartz' is something you don't often hear, but I agree.
    If you want to know what time it is then buy a Casio... ;-)

'Wish this was quartz' is something you don't often hear, but I agree. I wasn't aware of Miyota timekeeping and had to look it up, 10-30 seconds a day - I guess the second hand is decorative!
    At this price point, anything mechanical is mostly horrendous in terms of time keeping. I'm sure people will jump in with tales of £50 Seikos keeping +/-2secs per day but that is far from my experience (I've owned a fair few sub £1k mechanicals over the years from many different brands). The only 'affordable' watch I've ever owned that came close to COSC was one of Eddies - a PRS29A. I had a Nomos Club 701 with a handwound alpha movement that was consistently within COSC whilst I had it but they are £1,000 RRP. Quartz makes a lot of sense at the lower price points but choice is actually pretty limited imo. I no longer have any 'affordable' mechanicals.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    At this price point, anything mechanical is mostly horrendous in terms of time keeping. I'm sure people will jump in with tales of £50 Seikos keeping +/-2secs per day but that is far from my experience (I've owned a fair few sub £1k mechanicals over the years from many different brands). The only 'affordable' watch I've ever owned that came close to COSC was one of Eddies - a PRS29A. I had a Nomos Club 701 with a handwound alpha movement that was consistently within COSC whilst I had it but they are £1,000 RRP. Quartz makes a lot of sense at the lower price points but choice is actually pretty limited imo. I no longer have any 'affordable' mechanicals.
    A bit of googling suggests that a Miyota can be regulated to something like +-8 if you were willing to pay someone to do that, though I don't know how long it would stay that way. Does anyone have any experience of that? Though it might be worth a separate thread...

A bit of googling suggests that a Miyota can be regulated to something like +-8 if you were willing to pay someone to do that, though I don't know how long it would stay that way. Does anyone have any experience of that? Though it might be worth a separate thread...
    Hits the nail on the head.

If people spent a dollar getting these regulated they would find they do pretty well...not cosc, but pretty well. You saved a bucket-load on a cheap movement and a little tweaking leaves you with a fabulous value for money timepiece.

So, this is what I came up with:

I'll take some decent photos later and write a little review, but so far I'm pleased with the watch! I really wanted a field watch but none of those available were quite what I wanted. This is 41mm, titanium, I think 11mm thick so although not a small watch, it isn't insanely large either and it's light as a feather.

Alex
    Last edited by Earwicker; 16th September 2019 at 09:23. Reason: changed image hosts!