closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cartier Crash

Craftsman

Cartier Crash

This is a Cartier Crash. Apparently the design was partly inspired by a partially melted watch worn by a a Cartier executive who perished in a car accident/fire in London in the 1960s.

I quite like it, but it's a bit morbid

Master
    If that's true, it's incredibly morbid and puts me off the watch completely.

Morbid and fugly :(

Morbid and distasteful.

Might have been better marketing to say it was inspired by Salvador Dali and his melting timepieces.

I wouldn't like it even without the story.

Where did you read it was based on the watch of someone who died ?

Quote Originally Posted by HookedSeven View Post
    SJX has referred to that story repeatedly. I think I looks fantastic and I have no problem with the origin of the design.

It's mentioned here: https://www.gq.com/story/watches-of-the-week-6-8-19

Legend has it that in 1967, Jean-Jacques Cartier, then the head of Cartier London, got inspiration for the Crash from a scorching car wreck that either a customer or manager of a Cartier shop was involved in. Cartier allegedly recovered one of his brand’s timepieces from the crash and found it had changed shape, oozing out in different directions from the heat of the blaze.
    Kanye West wears one, so it's clearly in bad taste.

Yeah, I thought it was the dali skeleton edition.
    Uh er... skeleton

BUBI 0_0

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko7A38 View Post
    It's mentioned here: https://www.gq.com/story/watches-of-the-week-6-8-19

Doesn’t say anyone died.

True dat.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    SJX has referred to that story repeatedly. I think I looks fantastic and I have no problem with the origin of the design.
    "Created in 1967, reputedly inspired by a watch damaged in a car crash (but more likely the result of the incredible creativity and*craft of Cartier London), the Crash has only ever been produced in limited numbers."

https://watchesbysjx.com/2018/12/car...nd-street.html

"Created in 1967, reputedly inspired by a watch damaged in a car crash (but more likely the result of the incredible creativity and*craft of Cartier London), the Crash has only ever been produced in limited numbers."

https://watchesbysjx.com/2018/12/car...nd-street.html
    Does it say anyone died ?

Does it say anyone died ?
    If we're playing this game, did I say he said that someone had?

If we're playing this game, did I say he said that someone had?
    No but the OP did. I was asking where they had read that.

Quote Originally Posted by amii21 View Post
    This is a Cartier Crash. Apparently the design was partly inspired by a partially melted watch worn by a a Cartier executive who perished in a car accident/fire in London in the 1960s.

"Born in Swinging Sixties London, the origin of the Cartier Crash is anecdotal and slightly macabre, but remains an integral part of the company’s lore. Legend has it that an executive at Cartier London (the London, Paris and New York offices of Cartier were separate entities at the time) was involved in a car crash, producing a completely mangled watch. Originally an elongated oval-shaped Maxi Ovale wristwatch, the destroyed wristwatch was the inspiration for the Crash, first introduced in 1967."

https://watchesbysjx.com/2015/12/pre...tos-price.html
    Last edited by Der Amf; 9th November 2019 at 12:36.

"Born in Swinging Sixties London, the origin of the Cartier Crash is anecdotal and*slightly*macabre, but remains an integral part of the company’s lore. Legend has it that an executive at Cartier London (the London, Paris and New York offices of*Cartier were separate entities at the time) was*involved in a car crash, producing a*completely*mangled watch. Originally an elongated oval-shaped Maxi Ovale wristwatch, the destroyed wristwatch was the*inspiration for the Crash, first introduced in 1967."

https://watchesbysjx.com/2015/12/pre...tos-price.html
    Yes I know the story I just never read anywhere that the watch came from someone that died. You have to admit that would completely change how many people would view it.

Edit. I just had a search and this article does mention the death of a Cartier executive. I’d never read that before. I’ve read lots of other versions elsewhere so what’s the truth ? It’d be interesting to know.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/cartier...adieuse-watch/
    Last edited by HookedSeven; 9th November 2019 at 12:39.

Yes I know the story I just never read anywhere that the watch came from someone that died. You have to admit that would completely change how many people would view it.
    I'm not replying to you in this post, or trying to get into a pissing match with you, I'm just introducing a credible source into a discussion that involves people other than just you.

Craftsman
    "The story goes that in the 1960s, a Cartier executive died in a London automobile accident. The watch he was wearing, the Bagnoire Alongee, which is thin and oblong to being with. The watch, under pressure and heat from the burning car, melted into a new shape unlike any watch ever looked. The Crash watch was then supposedly released as a memorial to the crash victim"

From http://blog.watchdoctor.biz/2018/05/...r-crash-watch/

And another variants

"According to legend, a Cartier watch, likely a Maxi Ovale or Baignoire, was damaged in a car accident and returned to Cartier for repair. The head of Cartier London at the time, Jean-Jacques Cartier, was so enamoured with the crashed wristwatch that he created the Crash."

https://watchesbysjx.com/2012/12/sih...-bracelet.html

"Legend has it the original Crash was inspired by a ruined timepiece retrieved from a car crash involving an executive at Cartier London. The impact and heat of the Crash turned what had been an Maxi Oval*wristwatch into something straight out of a Salvador Dali painting.Since its creation in 1967 the Crash has barely changed."

https://watchesbysjx.com/2014/11/int...d-pricing.html

I'm not replying to you in this post, or trying to get into a pissing match with you, I'm just introducing a credible source into a discussion that involves people other than just you.
    There seem to be lots of credible sources that give completely conflicting accounts. I think it’s just nice to know the truth, and I was only questioning the OP as I’d never read before that a death was involved in the story. I wasn’t questioning the crash, just the statement about a death.I thought you were replying to me, as all your posts were, erm, replying to me.
    Last edited by HookedSeven; 9th November 2019 at 12:56.

"The story goes that in the 1960s, a Cartier executive died in a London automobile accident. The watch he was wearing, the Bagnoire Alongee, which is thin and oblong to being with. The watch, under pressure and heat from the burning car, melted into a new shape unlike any watch ever looked. The Crash watch was then supposedly released as a memorial to the crash victim"

From http://blog.watchdoctor.biz/2018/05/...r-crash-watch/
    Yes I went Googling including the word “died” and found that. I wonder what the truth is. Phillips say “injured” here but maybe that’s more conducive to selling a watch !

https://www.phillips.com/detail/cartier/NY080117/13
    Last edited by HookedSeven; 9th November 2019 at 12:50.

Master
    Definitely a "wouldn't be paid to wear it" one, as far as I am concerned.

As if the "origin story" isn't distasteful enough (albeit I sincerely doubt even the French would actually be so insufferably crass), this:

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko7A38 View Post
    ...is the final nail in the coffin of horror and morbidity that this weeping-wen of a timepiece represents!

Makes me wonder if anyone keeps a database of watches that KW owns - so I can be sure to avoid them all in the unlikely event I suddenly become insanely rich, relentlessly vulgar and gripped by egomania...

The story behind it is morbid and if really it was a fatal accident, it would put me off the watch.
    Rest of the reactions are just exaggerated. I would definitely wear it if was paid for it or if it was free.
    It is far more interesting than just another Rolex/Omega/Seiko.
    BTW, have not much regards for Kanye but he owns a 5513, an Everose Daytona amongst others which I would gladly wear.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 9th November 2019 at 15:27.

Craftsman
    Reminded me off the Zeno Pino. But the Cartier looks better no I’ve looked it up again...