closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Short NASA Strap by Kizzi - Opinions?

Master

Short NASA Strap by Kizzi - Opinions?

I tried to post this in the strap area but my phone wouldn't let me!
    I'm interested in the short NASA strap by Kizzi for my Speedmaster primarily, I think they look great & I understand that it's the nearest thing to the original short of getting into NASA's stores.
    My questions are;
    What are the quality & comfort like?
    At £60 is it good value (I appreciate that this is a personal view & that if you want the most accurate NASA strap it may cost more),
    How does it compare to say Gasgasbones?
    Does anyone know what connection, if any, there is between the £60 Kizzi short NASA strap & the £30 short NASA strap for sale on eBay that appears to be connected to Kizzi?
    Many thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    I tried to post this in the strap area but my phone wouldn't let me!
    I'm interested in the short NASA strap by Kizzi for my Speedmaster primarily, I think they look great & I understand that it's the nearest thing to the original short of getting into NASA's stores.
    My questions are;
    What are the quality & comfort like?
    At £60 is it good value (I appreciate that this is a personal view & that if you want the most accurate NASA strap it may cost more),
    How does it compare to say Gasgasbones?
    Does anyone know what connection, if any, there is between the £60 Kizzi short NASA strap & the £30 short NASA strap for sale on eBay that appears to be connected to Kizzi?
    Many thanks,
    I have a short strap Kizzi and its great being made to NASA spec, but I'm thinking of getting a personalised one from GGB and interested in the quote above that links Kizzi with cheaper straps on ebay, do you have a link??

I have 2 from Kizzi and 2 from GGB and a white Haveston Velcro.
    I have to say the Kizzi strap in modern materials is the best of the bunch and my speedy is worn on it almost exclusively.
    I will try to get some pics up later today if you like but in short the Kizzi in modern materials is the only one that has not frayed over time.
    The white Velcro from havestone is very thick. And a bit short for my wrist

Master
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F324032091290
    Thanks for the replies. Herewith the link to the eBay listing, Kizzi appears to be mentioned at the end of the description.
    I have a couple of Gasgasbones straps & like the personalisation options & the quality but I'm drawn to the accuracy of the Kizzi one. My inner miser is trying to tell me it's too much & my inner WIS is going "Wow! NASA spec straps! I NEED one!"

What size wrist do you have? Mine is 6.45" and I tried the short Kizzi for my Speedmaster when I had it and it wouldn't go small enough for my wrist.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    What size wrist do you have? Mine is 6.45" and I tried the short Kizzi for my Speedmaster when I had it and it wouldn't go small enough for my wrist.
    Hi, I've got a 7.75 inch wrist, I think the fit would be ok but I have had trouble with NATOs - depending on the keeper positioning the strap fit alters even if the length is the same. A CWC NATO fits me perfectly (by which I mean a comfortable fit with enough "tail" to fit back through both keepers. My Omega & Bark & Jack NATOs barely have enough "tail" to tuck under one keeper, despite being longer overall. It's because of the keeper positioning I'm sure.
    In the scheme of things this is minor but it annoys me disproportionately because it is totally unnecessary!
    *ceases ranting, smartly dismounts from soapbox*

A few pictures to help out

Left to right:
    Kizzi Velcro strap made with modern materials
    Kizzi Velcro strap with older style Velcro
    GGB Velcro strap
    Haveston strap

Showing the different weaves on the Kizzi straps modern on the left, right showing the fraying after a few months.

GGB showing the fraying after 6 months or so

I change watches daily and the Speedmaster gets worn once a month on average so both the GGB and Original Material Kizzi straps did not hold up that well
    I have had the more modern strap for a year and it’s still perfect.

I have not worn the Haveston as it’s a little short. It does look to be the best made version though. It is made with a Velcro core with another layer of material on top.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 6th January 2020 at 19:28.

Kizzi is the most authentic and comfortable that I've tried. 60 quid is very steep for what it is, considering that you can get one of Carl's new super adjustable Spitfires for the same money. https://www.gasgasbones.com/ggb-good.../spitfire.html

That eBay link certainly looks identical to the Kizzi so could be worth a punt.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Kizzi is the most authentic and comfortable that I've tried. 60 quid is very steep for what it is, considering that you can get one of Carl's new super adjustable Spitfires for the same money. https://www.gasgasbones.com/ggb-good.../spitfire.html

That eBay link certainly looks identical to the Kizzi so could be worth a punt.
    Thanks for the reply. I agree with you, the eBay listing looks like Kizzi. I would be more likely to pay £30 than £60. I'm tempted to give it a go.

Master
    I've looked at the eBay listing, it's not the model I want sadly. Which leaves me pondering if I really want to spend £60 on a velcro watch strap, despite its history...

Short Kizzi with Teflon keepers on a 145.022-71T

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Short Kizzi with Teflon keepers on a 145.022-71T

Damn that looks good!

Well I bought one of the ebay ones. It arrived today. I am absolutely delighted with it. I bought it to replace the nato on my Bulova moonwatch but decided to fit to to my CWC . It is so much more comfortable than a nato. It's easier to fit on the wrist and much easier to adjust to the right size. I like it so much Ive just bought another.:)

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks for the heads up.

Master
    Thanks for the photos, it looks good on your CWC - I've got a CWC RN Diver & if I get a strap (waiting notification) I'll try it on there too

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaffe View Post
    Well I bought one of the ebay ones. It arrived today. I am absolutely delighted with it. I bought it to replace the nato on my Bulova moonwatch but decided to fit to to my CWC . It is so much more comfortable than a nato. It's easier to fit on the wrist and much easier to adjust to the right size. I like it so much Ive just bought another.:)

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks for the heads up.
    I forgot to ask, did you get the keepers with the strap?

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    I forgot to ask, did you get the keepers with the strap?
    There are no keepers. According to the Kizzi website the keepers only came with the space shuttle/ skylab version. This is the Apollo version that had no keepers. I'm not sure what the keepers were made of but they look like plastic to me. The sort that are found on any camera strap. The strap works fine for me without them. Personal preference I suppose.

httphttps://www.seb12100030.com/collections/short/apollo-skylab

The keepers are plastic and are not worth using really
    The main difference is the material used for the strap
    The ‘modern’ material is much harder wearing

Master
    Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to wait for the shuttle one to come back into stock.

[IMG][/IMG]

FYI I was alerted by my eBay app today that the straps from Kizzi have dropped in price by £5, total was just over £27 so popped an order in for one

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hallanthony View Post
    FYI I was alerted by my eBay app today that the straps from Kizzi have dropped in price by £5, total was just over £27 so popped an order in for one
    I'm almost certain that I've made a purchase from Kizzi before I can't for the life of me find him/her on eBay, any chance of a link?

Master
    The "Shuttle" straps came back into stock yesterday, I ordered one & got an email today saying it was in the post!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hallanthony View Post
    They've gone up to £55 now so if you managed to grab one at £25 you got a bargain!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by barbusg60 View Post
    They've gone up to £55 now so if you managed to grab one at £25 you got a bargain!
    I asked the seller if he was "Kizzi". He said he was & the ebay straps were simplified versions of the original ones, so I waited for the "real" one.

Simplified? Wonder what he means. The straps I got look exactly like the ones on the website. Nice as they are, I wouldn't consider buying one for that price.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaffe View Post
    Simplified? Wonder what he means. The straps I got look exactly like the ones on the website. Nice as they are, I wouldn't consider buying one for that price.
    Hi, Here's the reply he sent to a question I sent about the ebay straps, I've put it in quotes.

"Hi Jason

The Nylon Velcro hook and look tape used here is not mil-spec from USA, but something commercially available from Europe. It's still quite good, but not the best available I use for my other straps. Also, being from a metric measures country means it's 20 mm in width, not just under at 3/4" as would have been supplied to NASA. I just happened to have some rare nominally 3/4" US mil-spec binding tape that is actually 20 mm wide, which allowed me using these components together.

There are some other minor differences that all together make the watchbands easier to manufacture and therefore less expensive, albeit not as authentically sourced and fabricated as can be obtained from my website (when in stock!). One of the most visible difference is choosing to use black Nylon thread (as per SEB12100030 design drawing revision from Nov 30 1988) and not supplying any keepers.

Hope that answer is helpful
    Best regards
    Phil"
    Last edited by Speedy2254; 27th January 2020 at 13:04.

I bought one of the £25 straps and tbh I’m pretty unimpressed.
    If Phil is making an inferior strap to the usual £60 version he’s doing the Kizzi brand no favours judging on the Velcro I received and based on that I’m highly unlikely to shell out over twice as much again on another!
    If anyone looking to get one for £60 then knock yourself out but don’t go for one of the short versions, it is VERY short! I have a 6.75” wrist and I’d suggest going for the regular length if you have a wrist larger than 6.5”.