closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: ROLEX: actually some of the most reliable watches or is it just marketing?

Hybrid View

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandril View Post
    In personal experience, I noticed that for example, a seiko movement like the 7s26/4r36/6r15 tends to be much more prone to variation depending on the position of the watch, in comparison of an ETA 2824-2/2893-2/sellita.
    Could it be then that the seiko movements will naturally keep less accurate time through the years if not serviced as the amplitude has a bigger effect on timekeeping?

Yes, that’s true for Seikos in my opinion. Ideally, the rate would be the same at 230 degrees as it is at 280, but it always changes to a greater or lesser extent for any watch. In my experience Seikos and Miyotas etc show a bigger variation, even though the positional variation can usually be adjusted to the COSC range of 10 secs at high amplitude there isn’t much that can be done to improve isochronism. Generally, the ETA offerings are significantly better and watches such as the Rolex 3135 and Omega 8500 are better still........but you’re paying a lot of money for these! I can adjust and regulate a Miyota or Seiko to keep very good time on my wrist based on keeping the movement in a high state of wind , but as soon as that watch goes to an owner who is far more sedate the performance is likely to differ, its a lot easier regulating the better movements such as the Omega 1120 or the TAG or Breitling versions if the ETA movements provided they’re in good condition. They’re also very efficient self- winders so they’re more likely to remain in a high state of wind despite the relatively modest power reserve of 40 hrs.

Not sure if the answers on this thread answer tge original question but hopefully they've proved thought- provoking. Mechanical watches are fascinating items, the technology should've died in the 70s with the advent of affordable quartz movements which are infinitely better at the job, but it didn’t. I’m struggling to think of another technology that has survived in this way despite being superseded by something better.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Rolex marketing never subscribe to hyperbole or deceit. The reason Rolex is the best is because they made the first waterproof watch, the first watch worn on the moon, the first wristwatch, the first watch worn on Everest, the first automatic wristwatch, the most accurate mechanical watch and they also invented the chronograph. The Milgauss is the most antimagnetic watch in the world, way more antimagnetic than even a bog standard Omega.

In the late 1960s Rolex went up against Seiko in mechanical accuracy tests and wiped the floor with the Japanese. This is why Rolex watches were selected to be worn by US troops in the Vietnam War.

Rolex Steel is much better than normal steel. It can survive 10 years inside the stomach of a Tiger Shark, it reflects back gamma radiation and protects the user, Rolexes add around 3 years of life to the user (if worn for at least 7 hours a day) because of the health properties of the mechanical movement and impact on the body's lymphatic system.

With stats like this there is no need for marketing.
    Haha, I 100% agree.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I assume this is a joke ?
    The man said it can survive 10 years inside the stomach of a Tiger Shark, I think your assumption is a safe one

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Haha, I 100% agree.

The man said it can survive 10 years inside the stomach of a Tiger Shark, I think your assumption is a safe one
    Remember that Rolex has a tradition of surviving bizarre situations.....a Sub was found deep in the English Channel on a murdered man, still in operational condition. Long story, but it helped in the conviction of the killer.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I’m struggling to think of another technology that has survived in this way despite being superseded by something better.
    Microsoft Windows.

I'm a car enthusiast and people sometimes say that comparing cars to watches is lame.

I don't think so.

Old Rolex Submariner is like an air cooled Porsche 911.

They don't make 'em anymore.

Take 911 SC and its cabin. It's like poor man's home but the Porsche enthusiasts wouldn't take it any other way.

Take the old Oyster bracelet and the flimsy clasp. It's perfect for the Rolex enthusiasts.

Take any GTI of today. It would run circles around the old Porsche on the track. Probably a Honda Civic family sport version would.

That is not the point. Rolex Submariner is not the greatest watch or technically "superior". It's technically nothing special.

It's an ICON. And that's why people want it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Microsoft Windows.
    Wicked. But true!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Yes, that’s true for Seikos in my opinion. Ideally, the rate would be the same at 230 degrees as it is at 280, but it always changes to a greater or lesser extent for any watch. In my experience Seikos and Miyotas etc show a bigger variation, even though the positional variation can usually be adjusted to the COSC range of 10 secs at high amplitude there isn’t much that can be done to improve isochronism. Generally, the ETA offerings are significantly better and watches such as the Rolex 3135 and Omega 8500 are better still........but you’re paying a lot of money for these! I can adjust and regulate a Miyota or Seiko to keep very good time on my wrist based on keeping the movement in a high state of wind , but as soon as that watch goes to an owner who is far more sedate the performance is likely to differ, its a lot easier regulating the better movements such as the Omega 1120 or the TAG or Breitling versions if the ETA movements provided they’re in good condition. They’re also very efficient self- winders so they’re more likely to remain in a high state of wind despite the relatively modest power reserve of 40 hrs.

Not sure if the answers on this thread answer tge original question but hopefully they've proved thought- provoking. Mechanical watches are fascinating items, the technology should've died in the 70s with the advent of affordable quartz movements which are infinitely better at the job, but it didn’t. I’m struggling to think of another technology that has survived in this way despite being superseded by something better.
    Yes that's amazing to see a technology which should belong to the past still being alive and pushed on!

I think the point on isochronism is a good one for watches in general, and something interesting to get rid of myths.

I find it more interesting to think that rolex is a good brand because their movements can show a good level of isochronism and performance, rather than just because everyone says so, and the value retention is great...

As said before, I wanted to start the thread to raise this kind of answer, rather than what I hear all the time "if they're successful it means they're great", "they've invented everything", "I've had mine in its box for 40 years, it keeps great time",...