closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My Grandfather Tuna

My Grandfather Tuna

The "Top 10 Seiko's of all time" thread inspired me to take a couple of photos of a watch I've been wearing for the last 10 days, and I thought I'd share them here. I've no real reason for doing so other than I thought they might be of some small interest to some people here.

This is my Seiko 6159-7010. I bought it via Sales Corner here back in the days when decent vintage watches could be bought without re-mortgaging the family home, and it is one that you'll have to prise from my cold, dead hands, when that time comes. Over the years I've sold off the bulk of my collection, but this one has always been a firm favourite and is not going anywhere.

My watch is dated to April 1976, so a little shy of 50 years old, but still keeps excellent time. It's a bit battered (aren't we all at this age), so close up photographs maybe aren't the best idea (?), but I feel that's part of it's beauty. I gave the watch a full wind and set it when I put it on 10 days ago, and over that 10 day period it had gained 6 seconds. That's accurate enough for me!

Although my watch dates to April 1976, Seiko introduced the 6159-7010 the previous year. It was the first watch with a titanium case and the first watch with a ceramic coated titanium shroud, and the monoblock case housed Seiko's hi-beat 36,000 bph auto movement.

and if anyone is interested to read a little more, Duncan wrote a blog post about it when he serviced it for me back in 2015 - you can read that here https://thewatchbloke.co.uk/2015/08/...can/#more-3689 . If anyone gets to the end of that post and are interested, yes, I did eventually manage to find a NOS
    6159b auto framework

Cracking looking watch but your comment "its from 1976 so almost 50 years old" wasnt welcome! 1976 feels like a few years ago to me, Rumours, hot summer and training to fix Avionics for the RAF...very fine piece you have.
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by huytonman View Post
    Cracking looking watch but your comment "its from 1976 so almost 50 years old" wasnt welcome! 1976 feels like a few years ago to me, Rumours, hot summer and training to fix Avionics for the RAF...very fine piece you have.
    Keith
    Time flies. I was 10 in the summer of 1976, and I remember I spent the entire school holiday out on my bike or playing football, until the call went out to tell me my tea was ready!

Master
    Oi, I was born in July 76 and like to think I am a long way from 50!

Lovely watch though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting reading and a lovely watch 👌

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Same here !

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    Same here !
    May '76 myself. Don't worry lads, we are still early to mid forties ;).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    Same here !
    Quote Originally Posted by kozza6 View Post
    May '76 myself. Don't worry lads, we are still early to mid forties ;).
    I hate to tell you, guys, it's just around the corner

Frightening how time creeps up on you isn’t it - as a 1965 vintage my next stop is 60
    The thing is I honestly don’t feel like a 100%, serious, mature adult and often think back to how my mum and dad seemed to have all the answers when I was growing up - even though they were way younger than I am today!

Craftsman
    Adults are so serious. While being a 1958, I often feel there's been a mix up and I'm really 1985. Managed to pack a fair bit into those 37 years. Interesting watch by the way.

Master
    August 76 myself. Love that Tuna, I had an MM300 version and wish I'd never sold it.

Master
    Lovely watch and IMHO so iconic. I've got four and none of them looks the same. Love that.

Lovely watch though!

I was thinking exactly the same!

All the best Seikos are 600m rated...

Is this the 52mm case size Tuna?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Is this the 52mm case size Tuna?
    50mm or 50.5mm. The current 1000m auto Tuna lineup is 52mm in diameter.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adg31 View Post
    Frightening how time creeps up on you isn’t it - as a 1965 vintage my next stop is 60
    The thing is I honestly don’t feel like a 100%, serious, mature adult and often think back to how my mum and dad seemed to have all the answers when I was growing up - even though they were way younger than I am today!

Very true about parents having all the answers. It scares me that at my age they had me as a 17yr old and a 14yr old daughter. I don’t feel old enough to be entrusted with such responsibilities!

I just wish tunas worked on my wrist. Love the photos but having owned 3 I just don’t like the look of them on my wrist for some reason.

Love a birth year one though. This the cycle starts again of looking for a watch I know I won’t like. What is it with this hobby?