closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Petrol prices...............again

Master
    Passed through Stirling today on a wee jaunt, new Shell station opened up so Tesco and an other dropped E10 to £140.9 with E5 Super* the usual amount dearer, nice to get a surprise at fuel prices that’s not an increase, long may it continue.

My cars fuel of choice.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I wonder a what point, if ever, prices will encourage more sensible or economical driving. I get 1000 miles a tank from my 520d estate, but I'm mainly motorway driving and stick at 60mph. Retailers partly to blame, with recent wholesale reduction not reflected at the pumps.
    Are you sure about that? With a 66ltr tank that’s just shy of 70mpg. No matter how economically you drive no 520d I’ve ever driven would achieve that over 1000 miles of UK driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    You can order the 5 series with a larger tank and yes easily done if brimmed

I thought the same. Then the penny dropped

The drop in mileage perfectly coincides with E10 becoming a thing

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    That's interesting, is it really a factor?

I thought my Golf was getting less to the gallon recently, but assumed it was cold weather/using the Aircon to demist the windows, but I have been using normal unleaded more as I've been doing more miles recently...

Maybe I'd be better off sticking with super?

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post
    The simple answer is no - the move to E10 would not cause a 15% shift in economy

As you have rightly pointed out it’s going to be down to the weather, in particular the temperature at this time of year
    I'll experiment with brimming super and see what mileage I get.

I know my car fairly well and really don't think the mileage delta can be attributed to the weather. I've had her 5.5y

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post
    The simple answer is no - the move to E10 would not cause a 15% shift in economy

As you have rightly pointed out it’s going to be down to the weather, in particular the temperature at this time of year
    I think across the board a reduction of about 5% IS correct. That's what has happened on both my cars. AA and RAC also agree.

So, HOW is e10 better for the environment if we are using 5% MORE fuel for the same mileage. It isn't... (But it is a cheaper additive for the Petrol producers)

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    I think across the board a reduction of about 5% IS correct. That's what has happened on both my cars. AA and RAC also agree.

So, HOW is e10 better for the environment if we are using 5% MORE fuel for the same mileage. It isn't... (But it is a cheaper additive for the Petrol producers)
    There is a net reduction in CO2.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post

The Government reckons we might see a 1% reduction in fuel consumption. If it’s a high as 5% doubt the environmental impact will be great (if any).

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/e10-petrol-explained

Saw my first local petrol station hit £1.90/litre for diesel. That is over £8.60/gallon in old money.

We are only another Russian rocket away from £2/litre

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Saw my first local petrol station hit £1.90/litre for diesel. That is over £8.60/gallon in old money.

We are only another Russian rocket away from £2/litre
    And certain Recession if it carries on.

Even California fuel is on the up. This morning V Power is $7. 29 a gallon

Master
    Blog Entries
    Garage round the corner from me has just raised diesel and petrol to 189.9. I work exclusively from home but we will be doing less using the car. A trip to Devon then fill up for Mrs to go to work a couple of days a week has cost me £180.

Blog Entries
    2.50 euro/lt at the moment here in the Netherlands....

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    2.50 euro/lt at the moment here in the Netherlands....
    That equates to £11 a gallon I expect that’s where the UK will be in a weeks time

1.99 per litre thereabouts over here, but Govt has given us 20 cents off per litre, for the next year or so iirc...81 euro it cost me just now, what's that, about 70 quid, which is nice...There was some statement/promise on help with domestic fuel too, might've been a 40 percent discount but I'm not sure on that.

What ever happened to that 5p, oh I remember the retailers kept it,

The oil companies, the refiners/distributors/retailers and our government are raking it in, hence why their is no government action to supress prices

Correct me if I have made an error but if the pump price rises from£1.30 to £1.70p per litre, a 40p increase would give an extra 8P perlitre of VAT to the exchequer? Nice result for them??

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    What ever happened to that 5p, oh I remember the retailers kept it,

The oil companies, the refiners/distributors/retailers and our government are raking it in, hence why their is no government action to supress prices

It’s a great way to pay for the cost of Furlough.

Petrol prices...............again

Yep. £100+ tanks have been normal for me for a while. (Standard beemer estate, not an HGV!)

It is a bit eye-watering but I do get to claim a fair bit of mileage for work, so am not too badly impacted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I remember paying under £1 a litre during the first COVID lockdown!

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

^ Have they now waived the previously normal £99.99 spend limit at fuel pumps? I noticed this years ago and thought it quite out-of-date then.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    ^ Have they now waived the previously normal £99.99 spend limit at fuel pumps? I noticed this years ago and thought it quite out-of-date then.
    Having paid over £260 to the Sainsbury forecourt cashier yesterday (after filling my boat) I can confirm the limit is somewhat higher that £99.00…

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

The local garage where I work (Shell Garage) has a £300.00 limit.
    I only know that as a guy was filling his truck & wondering why it had stopped pumping, the lady explained over the tannoy about the limit.
    It might be more at other garage no doubt.

Sent from a technical device.

Shell V-Power 1.999L :(

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    The local garage where I work (Shell Garage) has a £300.00 limit.
    I only know that as a guy was filling his truck & wondering why it had stopped pumping, the lady explained over the tannoy about the limit.
    It might be more at other garage no doubt.

Our card limit is £900 , I put in £500 ish a night after a 430 mile round trip.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Birtley services normal Diesel £2.04.9 per litre. God knows what Vpower would be.
    I believe it's one of the most expensive motorway services in the country.

The local garage isn't far behind at £1.89.9 per litre

Pay at pump is often a £99 limit.

Very annoying as my X3 takes about £130 to fill up so don’t use P@P anymore. :(

Have to hold the cars waiting behind up by going to pay in the shop.

Charged the Tesla for free at Tesco again last night

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    You couldn’t where I live, the free chargers are monopolised by taxis 24 hours a day

Bought an eight year old mini cooper diesel last week. Part of the deal I negotiated was a full tank of diesel, its currently averaging 76mpg so that tankfull will keep me going a good while yet. The zero road tax rate it enjoys also helps keep the costs down.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Having paid over £260 to the Sainsbury forecourt cashier yesterday (after filling my boat) I can confirm the limit is somewhat higher that £99.00…

R
    Tesco near my work has 24 pumps and only four have 100 litre limit. Rest are £99 regardless of whether they are card only or allow you to select to pay the cashier.

I did enquire why but no one seemed to care.

M5 tank size is 70 litres so it is clearly going to go over the £99 filling with Momentum unless it is around half full.

Not sure why they refuse to up the limit.

Craftsman
    If it keeps increasing, will there be enough space for all of the digits on the price boards?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2500 View Post
    If it keeps increasing, will there be enough space for all of the digits on the price boards?

Will the price boards keep up….

San Diego: $6.35 per gallon for 87 octane ("regular" unleaded) as of Wednesday, June 8.

Blog Entries
    It’s now 2.22€ here. Depending of Xrate that equates to £1.89 / ltr. Welcome to Portugal and factor into you holiday costs

Averaging 60mpg in a HEV Kia, around town (4.8ltr/100km)
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 9th June 2022 at 07:37.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    San Diego: $6.35 per gallon for 87 octane ("regular" unleaded) as of Wednesday, June 8.
    On this side of the Atlantic, we can only dream of such a price. Taking in to account that a US gallon is different to a UK gallon, the equivalent price in the UK would be approx. $9.46 (based on £2 per litre/liter and a $1.25 exchange rate).

Thanks folks, sounds like the £99 limit (not £99.99 my mistake) is quite variable. I’ll find out at my local when I fill up today. [£260 made me smile Ralphy - did you take your boat in on a trailer?]

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Posts like this really don't help. Congratulations that you can afford a really nice, expensive car. Lots of us can't, so we're stuck with dinosaur juice for the time being.

I drive a pretty frugal car (2.0d BMW) and do extremely limited mileage but even I'm starting to notice the pain.. I can't imagine how I'd even manage now, if I was doing my pre-pandemic commute.
    Last edited by chicaneuk; 9th June 2022 at 09:55.

Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    Posts like this really don't help. Congratulations that you can afford a really nice, expensive car. Lots of us can't, so we're stuck with dinosaur juice for the time being.

I drive a pretty frugal car (2.0d BMW) and do extremely limited mileage but even I'm starting to notice the pain.. I can't imagine how I'd even manage now, if I was doing my pre-pandemic commute.
    I´m not convinced they´re all that nice tbh just going on one or two owners comments over on the Tesla thread and glimpses of the cars, they certainly don´t look all that but they are expensive, though I understand drving the future comes at a cost, chuckle, plus it gave Ryan the chance to toot his own horn of course,
    Last edited by Passenger; 9th June 2022 at 10:03.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    I´m not convinced they´re all that nice tbh just going on one or two owners comments over on the Tesla thread and glimpses of the cars, they certainly don´t look all that but they are expensive, though I understand drving the future comes at a cost, chuckle, plus it gave Ryan the chance to toot his own horn of course,
    I had a chance to drive a friends Dual Motor Model 3 and was absolutely captivated, honestly. Whisper quiet, and the acceleration was so spectacular, I was lost for words. I can't even imagine what it feels like to launch a Model S Plaid. Believe me I'd go electric (and most likely with a Tesla) if I could afford to at this point. But I can't.

I had a chance to drive a friends Dual Motor Model 3 and was absolutely captivated, honestly. Whisper quiet, and the acceleration was so spectacular, I was lost for words. I can't even imagine what it feels like to launch a Model S Plaid. Believe me I'd go electric (and most likely with a Tesla) if I could afford to at this point. But I can't.
    I might go electric one day but I won´t be giving a penny to the Muskrat, each to their own of course. I dated a milk man´s daughter 35 years ago, when driven unloaded the milk float was very quiet.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    You couldn’t where I live, the free chargers are monopolised by taxis 24 hours a day
    How? Most Tesco car parks are limited to 2 hours parking and if it’s a 7kwh charger then they are going to get hardly any charge in that time.
    Plus that would be 2 hours waiting between jobs.
    My taxi is electric and I leave my charging lead in the garage as I’d lose more money getting a free charge on a Tesco charger than I would if I coughed up and don’t 30 minutes on a rapid charger.

Master
    Blog Entries
    £189.9 lt for diesel this morning

Master
    I run the same 406 mile journey (+/-5) every week. Always use Shell Fuel Save diesel. 1 week Shell were out so I topped up with Sainsbury's diesel. Result: approx 8% less mpg so I'll be sticking to Shell!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    I might go electric one day but I won´t be giving a penny to the Muskrat, each to their own of course. I dated a milk man´s daughter 35 years ago, when driven unloaded the milk float was very quiet.
    It will probably be a while if you want a new EV after delving into the market the last few days it’s going to be middle of next year for most manufacturers.

If they were charged fuel duty (or equivalent) would even things up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    It will probably be a while if you want a new EV after delving into the market the last few days it’s going to be middle of next year for most manufacturers.
    Good to know but I'm thinking it'll be further off than that.

Just been to Asda: first time I've hit the £99 limit and first time I've had to use two credit cards.

Craftsman
    Just filled my Motorcycle (BMW r1150gs) and as I use the E5 it was 205.9p per litre, so fill up (warning light not yet on and 2 bars showing on the gauge) was £38.65! Think I'll convert it to run on whisky, may be cheaper. Cheers, John B4

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    How? Most Tesco car parks are limited to 2 hours parking and if it’s a 7kwh charger then they are going to get hardly any charge in that time.
    Plus that would be 2 hours waiting between jobs.
    My taxi is electric and I leave my charging lead in the garage as I’d lose more money getting a free charge on a Tesco charger than I would if I coughed up and don’t 30 minutes on a rapid charger.
    Come and take a look, they are there all the time, it’s Tesco in Edinbourgh Way Harlow

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    If they were charged fuel duty (or equivalent) would even things up a bit.
    I’m sure that day will come, but for now it’s a carrot to try and wean us off the big oil teat. Also, spending an extra £10-15k extra on an equivalent EV to save £2.5k each year in fuel based on average mileage before electricity costs is hardly ‘having one over’ on the exchequer. I’ve paid more VAT on the purchase up front for starters. Over a few years there isn’t much in it financially.

So, driving an EV isn’t exactly cheap when you factor in the higher cost of the car, the rising electricity prices and the cost of public charging if you need it. Free charging is few and far between in reality, and I’m not driving electric to save a few quid and cock a smirk at my ICE brethren.

Motoring is expensive, and I can’t see that changing any time soon.

I have to question the people shouting for a 10p per litre fuel duty cut, even that will only shave £5.50 off a near £100 quid refill of your ‘average family saloon’. Will it really make that much difference?

The Govt really aren’t making a killing on the extra VAT. I don’t know about anybody else, but the more money I used to put in the petrol tank, the less money I spent elsewhere. You can’t spend it twice can you.