closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Replicas

I like these threads - lures the counterfeit apologists out of the long grass and straight onto the 'never-deal-with' ignore list

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bobc View Post
    Thanks for that monogroover. Ze list beckons.
    What a blow.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    What a blow.
    This is not about you or your 'fake feelings' it is a warning to others.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I note that there have been one or two predictable responses to your question, but of course there will be different motives for different buyers. There is an active replica community where people share pics of their acquisitions, much as we do here with real ones, so clearly they aren't trying to fool anyone. Some people just enjoy them as a way to have a close facsimile of a watch they like with exactly the same aesthetics until you get a loupe out, that's decently reliable and accurate, and costs a very small fraction of the price. It's pretty obvious, isn't it?

I have a few. I like them; I enjoy them. The last one I bought, a few years ago, was a Speedy replica. Just put a new battery in it a couple of weeks ago! I was taken by the white dial, and the quartz microstepper second hand is cute. But if I had a low self esteem to massage or I need to impress someone, I could easily put a genuine Speedy on, or an IWC, or a Rolex. It's not uncommon for people with nice genuine watches to dabble in replicas.
    That does not surprise me. Ze list for you.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely8 View Post
    Because it’s fraud. If anyone else had the nerve to post that with your history they’d be lynched. Why you get such a pass and others don’t is beyond me. I’m done here; I left last time for similar reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    They’re only bloody watches! Sometimes I think people need to remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    That does not surprise me. Ze list for you.
    Been on mine for ages.

Craftsman
    Lume pip is awful as is the date wheel, would rather spend £130 on something authentic, maybe a timex, citizen even a g-shock, anything but a fake that will be in the bin as soon as something goes wrong as no reputable watchmaker would touch it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I just don’t get what if any enjoyment you get from a watch that is pretending to be something else, it’s a nothing item, something made to look like an Omega but other than that it has no link to any company on the planet.

The self esteem quote is accurate to me as I would be truly embarrassed to be seen wearing a fake watch, I would much prefer to wear an equivalent value Casio and know that I’m not faking it.
    I understand and respect your point of view and you've expressed it quite reasonably and non-confrontationally, which is always welcome in these threads, and not overly common. From my own point of view - I don't think of watches as badges of status. Perhaps I'm fortunate in having had a nice 16750 from a relatively young age; perhaps it's for that reason that the perception of luxury watches as an achievement or a symbol of prestige is not one I'm particularly invested in. I just don't care whether the watch I might be wearing at any given time has a legitimate link to a well-known company, and I don't give a toss who sees me wearing a cheap Casio, some obscure Aliexpress brand, a knockoff Speedy or a real IWC.

Ultimately they're for my own enjoyment only, and I don't feel a need to justify owning or wearing any of them. I sense that some people think of them as expensive tokens to gain attention, and that would explain why they see a fake Rolex (for example) in the same light as a fake passport or credit card. Perhaps see the cash they've parted with for a new Submariner or whatever as a payment for some attention and respect, and that explains the indignation we see in these threads. To me any watch is just for personal pleasure, whether it's a £15 Casio or a Rolex GMT worth whatever it's worth these days (I'm unlikely ever to sell it, so I don't really care).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Been on mine for ages.
    Because it works both ways, I thank each of you sincerely.

Because it works both ways, I thank you sincerely.
    In this (your) case, no.
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 4th December 2021 at 20:04.

Master
    Glad to see who here proudly finance sex trafficking and other illegal activities.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance wheel View Post
    Fake on the left , I would hope that Rolex doesn’t do a bezel pip that bad, you should take it off him and crush it ,your friend sounds like either a tight arse or a wannabe
    Oh dear, I thought the fake was on the right. Shows how little I know. But the left one sure looked crisper to me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    [/B]

Half the country seem to be happy voting Tory so I wouldn't worry too much about that side of things.
    :0)

Been on mine for ages.
    At the next vGTG we should compare Ze Lists mate!

From my own point of view - I don't think of watches as badges of status. Perhaps I'm fortunate in having had a nice 16750 from a relatively young age; perhaps it's for that reason that the perception of luxury watches as an achievement or a symbol of prestige is not one I'm particularly invested in. I just don't care whether the watch I might be wearing at any given time has a legitimate link to a well-known company, and I don't give a toss who sees me wearing a cheap Casio, some obscure Aliexpress brand, a knockoff Speedy or a real IWC.

Ultimately they're for my own enjoyment only, and I don't feel a need to justify owning or wearing any of them. I sense that some people think of them as expensive tokens to gain attention, and that would explain why they see a fake Rolex (for example) in the same light as a fake passport or credit card. Perhaps see the cash they've parted with for a new Submariner or whatever as a payment for some attention and respect, and that explains the indignation we see in these threads. To me any watch is just for personal pleasure, whether it's a £15 Casio or a Rolex GMT worth whatever it's worth these days (I'm unlikely ever to sell it, so I don't really care).
    I think you are (deliberately?) missing the point and creating a straw man.

It’s not about you or your enjoyment.

It’s not even about you potentially selling them on (I personally don’t think you would, as you would be well aware of the risk of your buyer trying to pass them on as genuine).

By buying it, even if you destroyed them the following minute, you have financed the criminals that make them. For your enjoyment.

I know that a lot of our toys/clothes etc. may come from factories with dubious work regulations. But because they are legit the companies that sell them can be leaned on to address the issues.
    With a fake that cannot happen.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Does that include those in attendance?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Wrt 'fake watch industry funding criminality' is this anecdotal/urban myth territory or is there any proof that this actually goes on?
    Obviously as this is a watch forum we focus our distain on fakes - usually Rolex. But no-one seems to mind when a 'fake' Porsche CSR or a Cobra 'replica' turns up on SC, not that I've seen the latter on here.
    Anything that is made to look like something it isn't or never was in the first place is fake, surely.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Wrt 'fake watch industry funding criminality' is this anecdotal/urban myth territory or is there any proof that this actually goes on?
    Obviously as this is a watch forum we focus our distain on fakes - usually Rolex. But no-one seems to mind when a 'fake' Porsche CSR or a Cobra 'replica' turns up on SC, not that I've seen the latter on here.
    Anything that is made to look like something it isn't or never was in the first place is fake, surely.
    https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...olf-clubs.html

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Yes strange that cars are okay to many here.

Quote Originally Posted by EJL25 View Post
    Glad to see who here proudly finance sex trafficking and other illegal activities.
    Would have thought sex trafficking funds itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Replicas?

Even fakes is rather easy going.

Why not call them counterfeits, which they are?
    Nothing wrong with calling them fake: -

"not genuine; imitation or counterfeit"

Craftsman
    I think genuine watch owners sub consciously get aggrieved that people wear good fakes that look pretty much identical and they paid maybe 5% of the original cost and loose their prestige image .
    Copy watches have been made for decades and I doubt it will stop .

Quote Originally Posted by Tomaitch View Post
    I think genuine watch owners sub consciously get aggrieved that people wear good fakes that look pretty much identical and they paid maybe 5% of the original cost and loose their prestige image .
    Probably true but few people here will admit they buy a Rolex for the prestige image.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Probably true but few people here will admit they buy a Rolex for the prestige image.
    I don't quite see the prestige these days - perhaps many years ago but with the current climate and scatter gun product placement, no.

Grand Master
    Agreed, it’s like paying full price for membership to an exclusive club only to find someone else got it at a huge discount, they don’t like it because it pisses on their fireworks......but they won’t admit it!

I have an issue with the word replica. If I built a Star Wars X wing in my back garden that’s a replica. It’s not real and you can’t get a real one. If I buy a watch or any other item with a brand name and a design that is a facsimile of the other item then that’s a fake.
    This is another one of those threads that will forever appear on a watch forum ad Infinitum…….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I have an issue with the word replica. If I built a Star Wars X wing in my back garden that’s a replica. It’s not real and you can’t get a real one. If I buy a watch or any other item with a brand name and a design that is a facsimile of the other item then that’s a fake.
    This is another one of those threads that will forever appear on a watch forum ad Infinitum…….

I'd say you had a model in your garden, not a replica.

Don't see that it really matters what these watches are called TBH.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I'd say you had a model in your garden, not a replica.

Don't see that it really matters what these watches are called TBH.
    I just think the word ‘replica’ is an attempt to legitimise something when it’s just fake goods. Fake watches are the thin end of the wedge and hardly worth worrying about in comparison to eg fake pharmaceuticals or car parts. Not sure if there’s ever been a case of someone dying because of their fake watch?! ‘The loose wobbly bezel on my fake deep sea says I’ve got another 20 minutes oxygen in the tank - I’ll go even deeper for longer then - gurgle - urgh….

I don’t like fakes, I wouldn’t wear a fake and I wouldn’t buy a fake. And the honest reason why I don’t like them is that partially I respect intellectual property and mostly because I don’t like the idea of someone thinking some cheap scrote with a fake is wearing the same watch as me.

I don’t for one minute buy all the stories linking fake watches to the sex trade or international terrorism. Not saying that some people behind the sex trade might not also be into supplying fake watches, but the two aren’t dependent on each other, they are both equally profitable to the criminal. And I would also argue that people do more to finance terrorism every time they fill their car with petrol than they do buying fake watches, given where most of the oil comes from and where most of the financing for terrorism comes from. I also find the terrorism link funny given that most of us will own a car/watch/item of clothing from a company that has undeniable links to some of the greatest crimes against humanity that have ever been committed.

Typed on my iphone, which was probably made with an element of child labour.

They are not replicas, they are fakes.

Zero time for anyone who is into that kind of stuff.

Is your mate a service parts DJ?

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    And I would also argue that people do more to finance terrorism every time they fill their car with petrol than they do buying fake watches, given where most of the oil comes from and where most of the financing for terrorism comes from.
    Where on earth have you made that connection?.

Where on earth have you made that connection?.
    From facts.

From facts.
    The most identified 'sponsors of terrorism' are well down the list of oil producers - over to you.

The most identified 'sponsors of terrorism' are well down the list of oil producers - over to you.
    Well, that is a political decision.

Russia and Saudi Arabia come to mind, along with the gulf states that are burning Yemen into the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Well, that is a political decision.
    I agree - but to glibly state 'anybody who fills their car up with fuel is sponsoring terrorism'?

I agree - but to glibly state 'anybody who fills their car up with fuel is sponsoring terrorism'?
    Well, one man's hero is the next guy's terrorist.

Pick your winner, not a lot of names that won't get nominations for supporting terror:

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Well, one man's hero is the next guy's terrorist.

Pick your winner, not a lot of names that won't get nominations for supporting terror:
    Some will (of course) but it's a bit more analogue that production figures?

My comment was more in relation to those that always state on these threads that buyers of fakes are funding terrorism rather than stating, probably the truth, that they don’t like fakes being produced of items that they have spent a lot of money on. Most of our oil doesn’t come from states that support terrorism but most of the world supply does. The fact that we’re not allowed to state the truth about state sponsored terrorism from some of the largest oil producing countries because we make so much money from them doesn’t change the fact that terrorists make more money from these countries than they ever could from the trade in fake watches, largely thanks to the oil that they produce.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Im not the best at spotting the diff with these fakes. But that is a bad one

My comment was more in relation to those that always state on these threads that buyers of fakes are funding terrorism rather than stating, probably the truth, that they don’t like fakes being produced of items that they have spent a lot of money on. Most of our oil doesn’t come from states that support terrorism but most of the world supply does. The fact that we’re not allowed to state the truth about state sponsored terrorism from some of the largest oil producing countries because we make so much money from them doesn’t change the fact that terrorists make more money from these countries than they ever could from the trade in fake watches, largely thanks to the oil that they produce.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Agreed, it’s like paying full price for membership to an exclusive club only to find someone else got it at a huge discount, they don’t like it because it pisses on their fireworks......but they won’t admit it!
    I dont understand how this theory makes sense, why wouldnt the likes of us genuine watch owners just sell our watches for top money, replace with fakes and bank the rest if we were that bothered about the cost difference?

I think its more the other way round..

Master
    It's a costume watch, obviously. You know, like costume jewellery.

Master
    People wearing fakes has never bothered me.
    Have a friend who wears a fake Hulk and is a solid decent guy and in no way has some sort of need for acceptance by anyone-I think that no more applies to the guy wearing the fake as to the guy wearing the real thing.
    Don't really think it's funding some sort of Spectre type crime organisation either
    My concern would be someone trying to defraud others by selling it as legitimate.
    YMMV

Fake watches for fake people. It was ever thus.
    Monocell suprises me by outing himself but these threads are always useful for determining who's on the right side of the line.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Replicas for replicants.

Fraudulent watches for frauds.

I dislike fakes because they cast doubt on my own character.
    Comments are infrequent but usually question the legitimacy of my watch, so to extrapolate I guess casual onlookers often conclude I’m the type of guy who is willing to fake my appearance.

Apprentice
    A friend in London has a number of Rolexes.

Twice he has someone try to remove them from his wrist.

Including in a fairly busy bar: a guy tried hard to take the Milguass off him. (Green crystal version).

He ordered a couple of super-clones to wear out as he is hacked off that he has spend good money on watches that he can't actually wear.

Personally I like the PP Aquanaut. Chances of me actually being able to buy one....about 0% due to limited supply.

Wouldn't mind trying a super-clone, see how it looks.

I have 30+ other watches. Real rolexes, Omega, Rado, Cuervos Y Sobrinos etc etc....

So its not like I would trying to be someone I'm not.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    People wearing fakes has never bothered me.
    Have a friend who wears a fake Hulk and is a solid decent guy and in no way has some sort of need for acceptance by anyone-I think that no more applies to the guy wearing the fake as to the guy wearing the real thing.
    Don't really think it's funding some sort of Spectre type crime organisation either
    My concern would be someone trying to defraud others by selling it as legitimate.
    YMMV
    Who said anything about Spectre type crime organisation?
    But do you really think that criminals who deal drugs, only deal drugs and criminals who sell guns, only sell guns?

Quote Originally Posted by jdw100 View Post
    A friend in London has a number of Rolexes.

Twice he has someone try to remove them from his wrist.

Including in a fairly busy bar: a guy tried hard to take the Milguass off him. (Green crystal version).

He ordered a couple of super-clones to wear out as he is hacked off that he has spend good money on watches that he can't actually wear.

Personally I like the PP Aquanaut. Chances of me actually being able to buy one....about 0% due to limited supply.

Wouldn't mind trying a super-clone, see how it looks.

I have 30+ other watches. Real rolexes, Omega, Rado, Cuervos Y Sobrinos etc etc....

So its not like I would trying to be someone I'm not.
    Interesting story, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by EJL25 View Post
    Who said anything about Spectre type crime organisation?
    But do you really think that criminals who deal drugs, only deal drugs and criminals who sell guns, only sell guns?
    You are claiming funding not dealing.

Doubt many drug dealers will be bothering with watches, Lacoste polos or perfume anyway.