closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seiko Captain Willard, good value?

Seiko Captain Willard, good value?

I’ve been mulling over the impending Seiko Captain Willard release but am a little conflicted on its price/value.
    On the face of it a thousand pounds (for this hobby anyway) is relatively inexpensive. However I own a Seiko PADI Turtle for which I paid far less than half the cost of the Willard. As far as I can tell the extra premium basically buys you a slightly better version of the movement that can be found in the PADI and a sapphire crystal.
    As such I’m not sure the upgrade is worthwhile?
    (Saying that I’ll no doubt relent and buy the interesting looking green version, get bored with it and then sell it at a huge loss!)

Sod the value – I'm going to go for one. It looks almost perfect. I don't even mind the 'X' anymore.

I'll proabably shift the SPB077 to make way.

I would have waited for the new baby PRS-68 but I can't be fecked with the 2-minute Sunday lottery.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Sod the value – I'm going to go for one. It looks almost perfect. I don't even mind the 'X' anymore.

I'll proabably shift the SPB077 to make way.

I would have waited for the new baby PRS-68 but I can't be fecked with the 2-minute Sunday lottery.

Which version will you get?

Master
    The olive/green one for me on the rubber strap. Don’t need another watch but I think I could find an excuse for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    Which version will you get?
    Black for sure. I'm not a fan of earthy green dials, plus you get the bracelet with the black version, although I'll probably wear it on a rubber waffle or tyre tread strap most of the time.

Master
    Using a car analogy - why buy a replica, when you can have the original for the same price ?.

The brakes may be better, the engine more powerful, the car may be more comfortable............but the bottom line is that it's a replica.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by catflem View Post
    Using a car analogy - why buy a replica, when you can have the original for the same price ?.

The brakes may be better, the engine more powerful, the car may be more comfortable............but the bottom line is that it's a replica.
    I think you’d be struggling to get a decent original for the cost of these.

Please find me an original, good condition 6105 for circa £1k.

It's hardly a replica – it's made by the same company.

Master

It's hardly a replica – it's made by the same company.
    Is it an original 6105 made with the same tooling and movement?, nope so it's a replica, remake. re-issue, homage of whatever else you want to call it of a model they made 50 years ago.

Although I own a 6105, I'm certainly not an expert on them, but a quick trawl on ebay turned up

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1973-Vint...kAAOSwmZde2XhZ

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEIKO-610...p2047675.l2557
    Last edited by catflem; 15th June 2020 at 19:49.

I'm debating the SPB151 Vs SPB143 Vs a King Turtle. The price of the new SPB151 doesn't sit right with me for the quality. Like OneLastTime I also have a MM200 (SPB079) but wouldn't sell that to make way for one of these.

68molle on Instagram has some decent real life shots of the new releases including the SLAs.

When is the official launch date in the UK?

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Is it an original 6105 made with the same tooling and movement?, nope so it's a replica, remake. re-issue, homage of whatever else you want to call it of a model they made 50 years ago.

Although I own a 6105, I'm certainly not an expert on them, but a quick trawl on ebay turned up

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1973-Vint...kAAOSwmZde2XhZ

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEIKO-610...p2047675.l2557
    The first one is in the US so add 20% to get it to the UK, and it looks like dog 5hit anyway.

The second one isn't even the same watch so I'm not sure what drum you're trying to bang?

It's a modern interpretation and yes, it's using different tooling and movement, but the design aesthetic remains in a more user-friendly package at under half what you could pay for a half-decent original. So what's your problem with that?

This ^. And I think you'll struggle to get a "good" franken for 1k. Also, once the new ones have been out a little while I bet they'll be available for around £700 (£800 tops) new with a spot of shopping around.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

If you need some 'authentic' vintage Seiko, then get a 6309, though they're also trending up.

Otherwise nought wrong with Seiko reissuing these watches - not everyone likes vintage either and prefer the piece of mind that new watches bring. Personally think these new releases are great, definitely digging the green, but think black is likely to be more endearing.

The 6105 is a real favorite of mine and I was really looking forward to the new one but when I saw it at Basel World last year I lost interest almost immediately, decent watch but dident do it for me.

Might as well get the pics and specs up for those interested:

Technical specifications – Seiko Prospex 'Captain Willard' SPB151 and SPB153

Case: 42.8mm diameter - stainless steel case, brushed and polished - unidirectional bezel with aluminium insert (black or green) and 60-minute diving scale - screw-down crown - bevelled sapphire crystal - screwed caseback - 200m water-resistant

Dial: matte black or sunray-brushed olive green - applied indexes and hands with LumiBrite
    Movement: Seiko calibre 6R35, in-house - automatic - 24 jewels - 21,600 vibrations/hour - 70-hour power reserve - hours, minutes, seconds and date

Strap: 3-link stainless steel bracelet with folding clasp and diving extension (SPB151)
    black, textured silicone strap on steel pin buckle (SPB153)

References: SPB151 - black on steel. SPB153 - olive green on rubber

Availability: June 2020

Price: SPB151 - USD 1,300 / EUR 1,350
    SPB153 - USD 1,100 / EUR 1,150

https://monochrome-watches.com/seiko...ands-on-price/

And the original:

to me its got to be 44mm nothing else will do..

Goldsmiths have the green at £1000 delivered. Go through Topcashback and it comes to £927.80 after payout, and use a credit or debit card with cashback to pay for it for a further discount. Way below original 6105 territory and its early doors yet.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Master
    The first one is in the US so add 20% to get it to the UK, and it looks like dog 5hit anyway.

The second one isn't even the same watch so I'm not sure what drum you're trying to bang?
    Service hands (Pogue style) and probably a service dial too seeing as it's Resist on a 68 watch... You might find a good 8000 for 1k but that's not one of them.

Wow, the green is out of stock and the black is "on application only".

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Wow, the green is out of stock and the black is "on application only".
    Where from? (unless i missed it).

I have to say, there must be quite a few with dilemmas as to whether to go with this or the 62MAS (SPB143). Any with preferences?

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Where from? (unless i missed it).

I have to say, there must be quite a few with dilemmas as to whether to go with this or the 62MAS (SPB143). Any with preferences?
    https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Seiko-P...J1/p/18280018/

I honestly think my preference right now is to go cheaper (new SRP777 replacement due imminently or King Turtle) or go more expensive (SLA017 via WTB).

I honestly think my preference right now is to go cheaper (new SRP777 replacement due imminently or King Turtle) or go more expensive (SLA017 via WTB).
    Makes sense - I love the turtles and so much choice in the range too. Note the movements are wildly erratic however in the turtle, just look at my turtle’s performance in the summer challenge. So that is a plus for the 6R.

So yes the new Willard’s are probably better watches, but the turtle very much does the job.

The king’s look odd with the cyclops. I’m curious what they plan to do with a new turtles, but honestly with everything else coming out it may take a while (and probably be more expensive)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

I'm in the same boat -Any idea where you'd buy a new 777 at a good price ?

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    The king’s look odd with the cyclops. I’m curious what they plan to do with a new turtles, but honestly with everything else coming out it may take a while (and probably be more expensive)
    The SRP777 replacement is the SRPE93 but there aren't any pictures/much info at the moment. It's meant to be an update to a latest ISO standard but no doubt Seiko will use this as a chance to upgrade it and increase the price as with other models. Perhaps being it up to par with the King Turtles.

Yonsson from here seems to have removed his Cyclops with easewhich has changed my mind on it a lot. If only it came without the day or even a time only version it would be perfect.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBQQWpcHV6g/

The SRP777 replacement is the SRPE93 but there aren't any pictures/much info at the moment. It's meant to be an update to a latest ISO standard but no doubt Seiko will use this as a chance to upgrade it and increase the price as with other models. Perhaps being it up to par with the King Turtles.

Yonsson from here seems to have removed his Cyclops with easewhich has changed my mind on it a lot. If only it came without the day or even a time only version it would be perfect.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBQQWpcHV6g/
    It does look better for sure and cannot understand why Seiko decided on putting a cyclops on this watch! Will keep my eyes peeled for the updated turtle.

I’m a big fan of the day/date - it’s kinda always been in the dna across various product lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out of stock because it hasn't been released yet guys.

Master

It's a modern interpretation and yes, it's using different tooling and movement, but the design aesthetic remains in a more user-friendly package at under half what you could pay for a half-decent original. So what's your problem with that?
    You're the one banging a drum.

The OP questioned whether a new Willard was worth Seiko's asking price. I pointed out that you can get an original 6105 for around the same price.

You took umbrage with that, and stated that you cannot buy an original 6105 for circa £1k, 2 minutes on ebay proved you to be incorrect. I'm sure a more extensive search would have turned up a better example for a similar price.........but frankly I couldn't be arsed.

If you want to pay 1300euro for a watch that will be worth far less than that in 6 months - no one is stopping you from doing so, so fill your boots.

Buy an original, and you should get most of your money back (if not make a profit) when you decide to sell.
    Last edited by catflem; 16th June 2020 at 08:24.

Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    I’ve been mulling over the impending Seiko Captain Willard release but am a little conflicted on its price/value.
    On the face of it a thousand pounds (for this hobby anyway) is relatively inexpensive. However I own a Seiko PADI Turtle for which I paid far less than half the cost of the Willard. As far as I can tell the extra premium basically buys you a slightly better version of the movement that can be found in the PADI and a sapphire crystal.
    As such I’m not sure the upgrade is worthwhile?
    (Saying that I’ll no doubt relent and buy the interesting looking green version, get bored with it and then sell it at a huge loss!)
    The trouble with breaking down the ‘added value’ is that it’s subjective.
    If you like the look of the Cap. Willard and the ‘Apocalypse Now’ / military history aspect means something to you, then the Turtle is just a different watch altogether so it’s not a fair comparison.

If you were looking for a cushion-cased Seiko diver, then paying twice the price for a 6r movement, ceramic insert and sapphire crystal (I accept that there may be other refinements which I’m unaware of), seems less appealing but not wholly unreasonable.

Personally, I’d split the difference and go for a king Turtle, Cyclops or not. I much prefer the look of it but beauty is in the eye... etc etc.

You're paying an awful lot for Seiko on the dial.

While the movement is better, there are a shed load of 6105-alikes with Seiko movements for under £150.

Yes, they mostly have silly names or logos and you'd HOPE that the Seiko is better finished, but they offer reliable movements, ceramic inserts, sapphire crystals and the same look for a fraction of the price.

I certainly wouldn't spend that much just to have the Seiko name - If I wanted a 'proper' 6105, I'd pay a bit more and get an original one (as others have said, you'll probably get your money back, or more, over a few years), but the design doesn't do a lot for me.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 16th June 2020 at 10:01.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

You're the one banging a drum.

The OP questioned whether a new Willard was worth Seiko's asking price. I pointed out that you can get an original 6105 for around the same price.

You took umbrage with that, and stated that you cannot buy an original 6105 for circa £1k, 2 minutes on ebay proved you to be incorrect.
    Except you can’t and it didn’t. As you rightly said, you’re not an expert. Stay safe.

With a bit of effort and daily checks, you can find a good 6105 for £1k or less. You need to do your homework though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HookedSeven View Post
    With a bit of effort and daily checks, you can find a good 6105 for £1k or less. You need to do your homework though.
    6105's - remember they are 50 year old watches and there are some real"dogs" out there and at that price they usually need "work" - certainly a service @ circa £200, (maybe more depends on the parts that need replacing), - probably a strap at £50 - in most cases the dial will have suffered from "moisture" and to look smart will need at least a clean = £100 - you have to be careful with the crown and winder - the case will be marked and have lost it's finishing, BUT the modern Seiko "Turtles" are just not the same as the 6105's and 6306/6309's from the 70's and 80's

6105's have now become collectors items and the modern "re-crafted/re-issues" are just modern watches from Seiko

6105 - there are also 2 different models, (8009 and 8110) and a few different "versions", proof/resist and Japan and rest of world.

Only the SLA033 which has a dial nearest to the original, the latest models do not
    Last edited by BillN; 16th June 2020 at 10:59.

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    6105's - remember they are 50 year old watches and there are some real "dogs" out there...
    I’m the Battersea home for those !

As much as I love a Seiko I can't help but think I'd be disappointed with this for £1200.

Master
    Here's a couple of mine

images not great - they look better in the flesh

I prefer the slimmer cased 8009, but some days I prefer the other

Last edited by BillN; 16th June 2020 at 11:19.

Master
    And the original:

just a technical point - the proof/proof would have been the "original"

Here's a couple of mine

Beautiful...

Master
    Except you can’t and it didn’t. As you rightly said, you’re not an expert. Stay safe.
    Aww, have I urinated on your chips and ruined the anticipation of buying your shiny new re-issue/homage/replica. Please accept my profound apologies and wear it in good health

Aww, have I urinated on your chips and ruined the anticipation of buying your shiny new re-issue/homage/replica. Please accept my profound apologies and wear it in good health
    Imagine calling a reissue a replica.

Here's a couple of mine

Those are stunning, but you're never going to be able to buy an 8110 in that condition for anywhere near the price of the reissue. Lovely thing though

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    As much as I love a Seiko I can't help but think I'd be disappointed with this for £1200.
    From the real life pictures online I just can't see it being a £1,200 watch on the bracelet or £1,000 on the rubber. Not even close.

From the real life pictures online I just can't see it being a £1,200 watch on the bracelet or £1,000 on the rubber. Not even close.
    This is my stumbling block. I love the look of the watch but the modest updates over the bog standard Turtle don’t justify the price being asked. (Still want one though)

When you consider the SPB077 is supposed to be £1000, the Willard is in line with Seiko pricing.

Personally, I think the SPB more than holds its own against other divers in the same price bracket. The case finishing, lume and overall fit and finish are pretty good on my version, and I expect the Willard will be more of the same.

It's an odd bracket though – Doxa 200, Yema Superman, Christopher Ward or Seiko? I know which I'd rather buy out of that lot.

I realise I'm sounding like a Seiko fanboi – maybe I'm just in argumentative mmod today

Master
    When you consider the SPB077 is supposed to be £1000, the Willard is in line with Seiko pricing.

Personally, I think the SPB more than holds its own against other divers in the same price bracket. The case finishing, lume and overall fit and finish are pretty good on my version, and I expect the Willard will be more of the same.

It's an odd bracket though – Doxa 200, Yema Superman, Christopher Ward or Seiko? I know which I'd rather buy out of that lot.

I realise I'm sounding like a Seiko fanboi – maybe I'm just in argumentative mmod today
    I know that "fake" is a dirty word to some on the Forum - but you can buy a homage, say a Sharky or similar, for half the price new and less used

I've never found anything wrong with the Seiko Bracelet - and Uncle Seiko is good as is StrapCode

I remember donkeys years ago having a big argument with Griff when he bought a restored / rebrushed 6105 8110 from someone for £1k and I thought he was mad, the going rate was £300-£500 ish at the time for good ones, I said he would never get his money back, how wrong I was.
    Here is mine, bought from a dealer about 15 years ago for £90

Cheers..
    Jase

I'm a Seiko fanboi too, perhaps I'm just bitter at the cost as it limits my chances of owning one.

I also don't think the SPB077 is worth the money. I bought one for about £500 from John Lewis, kept the bracelet for my SPB079, then sold it on here. The SPB079 was a gift from my wife but even she didn't pay £799, she got it for £610 delivered from a shop in Milton Keynes.

Too good to be true at £500 but not worth it at £1k. I guess the true value is somewhere in the middle -- £699 on rubber and £799 on the bracelet?

I'm a Seiko fanboi too, perhaps I'm just bitter at the cost as it limits my chances of owning one.

I also don't think the SPB077 is worth the money. I bought one for about £500 from John Lewis, kept the bracelet for my SPB079, then sold it on here. The SPB079 was a gift from my wife but even she didn't pay £799, she got it for £610 delivered from a shop in Milton Keynes.

Too good to be true at £500 but not worth it at £1k. I guess the true value is somewhere in the middle -- £699 on rubber and £799 on the bracelet?
    As with most releases, I would wait 6-12 months for the price to settle before considering picking one up, and even then I’d probably keep an eye out for a used one in good condition. That’s how I played it with my SPB105. It also gives me a chance to really chew it over, half the time my interest wonders elsewhere and I never pick one up, which is probably better than losing money on a flip. Takes a lot of self control though...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I remember donkeys years ago having a big argument with Griff when he bought a restored / rebrushed 6105 8110 from someone for £1k and I thought he was mad, the going rate was £300-£500 ish at the time for good ones, I said he would never get his money back, how wrong I was.

You lucky, lucky fellow. Right place, right time, I suppose. Mind you, knowing more about the intrinsic value of it than the dealer did also worked in your favour. What a lovely example.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post

Are the H&M hands correct on that one ? In that photo it’s hard to see if they’re chamfered or not.