closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Honda Type R GT 2018

Honda Type R GT 2018

Hi
    Had a test in one of these today. Nothing much to dislike really. Great engine, smooth gearbox and surprising comfortable. The seats were comfy as well. A bit marmite in looks but I quite like it.
    Any members own one

Andy

Pics?

Great if you're under 35, the design is certainly original

Blog Entries
    I had one as a courtesy car when my wife's CR-V was in for an oil change. White knuckles and constant scanning for Gatsos... Quick car, indeed. Looks are iffy. But that's in my eyes of course.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    Hi
    Had a test in one of these today. Nothing much to dislike really. Great engine, smooth gearbox and surprising comfortable. The seats were comfy as well. A bit marmite in looks but I quite like it.
    Any members own one

Andy
    My old EP3 type R was one of the best cars I've owned. I'd love a new type R but just can't get over how the last 2 have looked. I really wish they'd do a version for grown ups and make all the stick on spoilers and vents optional.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Pics?
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Ho...w=1823&bih=880

When I was at the Honda garage recently the salesman said, "Guaranteed license loser".😁

Part of the appeal of the previous models was the fact that they were relatively understated; the current one looks like it was designed by a manga artist and, imho, is all the lesser for it. The Japanese can make some proficient and beautiful cars, this isn’t one of them.

Master
    Looks like a Hot wheels car to me, need to be under 30.
    Been to a couple of dealers recently and both had the new NSX which looks amazing.

Master
    it will appeal to the young japanese that 'upgrade' their cars to the max with bodykits and spoilers, already done straight out of the box

Master
    Blog Entries
    I love the latest Type R - the FK8 - and although it's not as refined a car, I love my FK2 - the previous model - even more. The FK2 has a firm ride and abysmal tyre wear, but it handles brilliantly and has plenty of shove when needed. That said, I'm way over 35 and tend to pootle rather than power my way around!

I've driven the FK8 on a track (Bedford Autodrome ) and on the road. It is a fantastic car - comfortable, quick and even more positive handling than mine. I suspect the tyres will still wear out rather quicker than you'd want, though (same Conti Sports, but on 20 inch wheels rather than the 19 inch wheels on mine).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    .... I really wish they'd do a version for grown ups and make all the stick on spoilers and vents optional.
    Totally this. It's awful.

Craftsman
    I had a look at one about 6 months ago but went for a golf gti instead it was £5000 cheaper. If I has going to us it on a track I would go for the civic.

I don't mind the look at all and I'm no where near 30.

Master
    I quite like the look of this car. Even the more standard models look pretty hot - my 80 year old neighbour has one in a bright blue colour - good for him :)

Psst B&Q car park, Saturday night 11:45 pass it on.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

My old EP3 type R was one of the best cars I've owned. I'd love a new type R but just can't get over how the last 2 have looked. I really wish they'd do a version for grown ups and make all the stick on spoilers and vents optional.
    Ditto this, I loved my old 2002 EP3.

I think I’m going to test the new model but just cannot see one on my driveway any time soon.

Looks like a Transformer although as stated, goes like stink !

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Looks like a Hot wheels car to me, need to be under 30.
    Been to a couple of dealers recently and both had the new NSX which looks amazing.
    I was taken for a hot lap around Bedford Autodrome in an NSX. A beautiful car and by far the fastest accelerating car I've been in - launch control was brilliant fun!

I think it looks fantastic, I’m 48 but still a boy racer at heart. I probably wouldn’t actually buy one though.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    I was taken for a hot lap around Bedford Autodrome in an NSX. A beautiful car and by far the fastest accelerating car I've been in - launch control was brilliant fun!
    I’m going to assume you mean the new one?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I’m going to assume you mean the new one?
    Yes - the hybrid. Honda were running a track day for FK2 owners to drive the FK8 plus a day for people on the NSX waiting list (not me!). When one of the NSX people didn't turn up, I cadged the slot - though they only had the professional racing driver treat me to a fast lap rather than let me drive.

Master
    Like the idea of them and it is a good car but that rear end........🤮 if the Nissan GTR (or similar) has a rear end like that it might make more sense. For a hot hatch it doesn’t make any sense and looks silly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what Batman junior would drive.

Craftsman
    Spoiler spoils it! No need for that. Would be interested otherwise.

Master
    Am I the only one that thinks this shouts 'hooligan'? To me it has a hint of a little too much 'motorist-discount' to it's looks.

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks this shouts 'hooligan'? To me it has a hint of a little too much 'motorist-discount' to it's looks.
    Hahaha did you read the other posts. I think everyone thinks the same, apart from me.

I thought the last model was over the top visually in a likeable way, but the new model just looks a mess to me.

Never driven a Civic Type R though.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    This review shows good and bad of the civic take a look.

https://youtu.be/UTURtQvSvHI

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandandanman View Post

Really like his style actually and a balanced review

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good old Doug, really like his reviews.

Master
    I don't mind the look at all and I'm no where near 30.
    I'm guessing you're about 12 then.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    I love the latest Type R - the FK8 - and although it's not as refined a car, I love my FK2 - the previous model - even more. The FK2 has a firm ride and abysmal tyre wear, but it handles brilliantly and has plenty of shove when needed. That said, I'm way over 35 and tend to pootle rather than power my way around!

I've driven the FK8 on a track (Bedford Autodrome ) and on the road. It is a fantastic car - comfortable, quick and even more positive handling than mine. I suspect the tyres will still wear out rather quicker than you'd want, though (same Conti Sports, but on 20 inch wheels rather than the 19 inch wheels on mine).
    I really really wanted to love the FK2. The original concept car looked great but then when it came out so much of the model specific parts like the wider arches and that rear spoiler with the integrated lights were executed more like they'd got a semi skilled man in a garage to replicate the concept using cheap bendy plastic parts stuck on to a regular civic (an understandable move in terms of cost).

They do drive well.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandandanman View Post

I can't say I found this the best of reviews - he didn't set the context for the development of the FK8 which was to make it a really quick track day car that is also good to drive on the road. And didn't seem to know why some of the features - eg the triple exhaust - were designed the way it they are. Plus the power of his car is lower than the UK spec - unless he got the 306bhp mixed up with the FK2. The comparison with the Focus RS also missed the point about a lighter FWD car's ability to corner more quickly (at least in the dry) - the Focus RS time for the Nurburgring is 8.06.3 whereas the FK8 is 7.43.8 - the fastest FWD car tested there. And to put that in context EVO magazine lists the Nissan GTR time as 7.43.7. So although some bits are definitely open to criticism - looks and some ergonomics - the aerodynamic features are largely functional and it is really well engineered (I haven't seen a tester floor the throttle with no hands on the wheel before, but that was a testament to the front suspension)

But I love Hondas so probably feel a bit protective of them

ATB

Jon

Master
    Blog Entries
    I really really wanted to love the FK2. The original concept car looked great but then when it came out so much of the model specific parts like the wider arches and that rear spoiler with the integrated lights were executed more like they'd got a semi skilled man in a garage to replicate the concept using cheap bendy plastic parts stuck on to a regular civic (an understandable move in terms of cost).

They do drive well.
    I know what you mean but it still brings a smile to my face every time I see it :)

When you read the comments on the YouTube video it looks like he got a lot wrong. The car has mostly rave reviews with many citing it feels quicker than the RS, especially mid range.
    I’ve driven both and there not a lot in it. Both are great. I’m a ford man but the engine issues, heavier clutch and interior have swayed me towards the Honda - even with the spoiler

Anybody on the forum own an FK8? I have scoured the car market for months and the current CTR seems to be the pick of the market. It is highly likely we will have one within a month in metallic grey (to help hide the plastic vents on each corner). Other than the vents I love the looks and I have never consistently read reviews of a car that offer such universal priase, it would make a nice addition to household already hooked on Japanese perfomance cars.

Yes, the looks are aggressive and overstyled to some, but in the flesh they look fantastic.

Master
    Can’t imagine any grown adult buying one of these

Why? As cars become more anodyne and boring looking as their styling converges, its great to see the Japanese doing their own thing. The standard Civic is not much of a looker, the Type R is more aggressive but also better looking. Anyway, the R is about the drive more than the looks anyway.

Great cars, but they do look awfully overdone.

You know those designs where you wouldn't add, or remove anything? Polar opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Why? As cars become more anodyne and boring looking as their styling converges, its great to see the Japanese doing their own thing. The standard Civic is not much of a looker, the Type R is more aggressive but also better looking. Anyway, the R is about the drive more than the looks anyway.
    The last comment, doesn't really add up (for me). If it's more about the drive than the looks, why are the looks so extreme and ott?

The old imprezas and evos were genuinely more about performance than looks. They looked that way because they're designed to be rally cars.

The Honda doesn't have those constraints. Someone decided it should look that way.

True enough Warren, as an owner of an Evo and STi, I get where you are coming from. It is more about the drive than looks (to me) but may not be for most people. The base Civic is no looker, the type R just builds on that with the wild spoiler and bonnet vent etc, I like it, many dont. I have owned some pretty lurid cars in the past, guess this will be another

Blog Entries
    Lovely motors but the styling is not for a 53yo MD. what is though is a Golf R, very capable and quick motor which also doubles as Mrs P’s shopping trolley, looks like ya nans car. We are on number two and I dearly love a third.

Trouble is the R has gone the other way and is sooo boring

Easily sorted into something not so boring though with a few inexpensive (or expensive) tweaks.
    It's just a matter of time...

How so, I know some prefer the rawness of the FK2 and some purists will never get over the FK2/8 having a turbo?

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    How so, I know some prefer the rawness of the FK2 and some purists will never get over the FK2/8 having a turbo?
    I assume he meant the Golf R

I really like the new type R, in fact I may buy one in a year or two when I have had enough of the E350

Craftsman
    It would indeed be a brilliant Q car if you could get it dressed down and left in normal pipe and slippers guise.

A reverse baz boy make over.... I like that idea as it’s a great car if you are looking from the inside out! Maybe I shall research that.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    I assume he meant the Golf R

I really like the new type R, in fact I may buy one in a year or two when I have had enough of the E350
    Ah ok, obvious now, too may R's around

The way the CTR drives is the biggest attraction for me, it is very much a wolf in wolfs clothing. It is often compared favourably to a GT3 in reviews, ridiculous that a 33k hatchback is mentioned in the same sentance really but shows what a stunning peice of engineering it is.

Craftsman
    They are on my shopping list that and the M140i Shadow, currently have a Skoda Octavia VRS estate (Golf GTI running gear) and a 600hp Jaguar XFR , thinking I could step down to one car with the Civic , huge boot , plenty of room in rear seats and practical and not as dull as a Golf , oh and i'm 50 so gave up giving a fig what others thought about my car purchases long ago .

To be fair I hated it when it first came out but its grown on me

Found the dealers to be pretty poor though , local one hasnt got one and wont get one ,dealer in Swindon wouldnt offer a test drive so when I'm ready to order I will need to shop around