closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Today's Car boot finds.

Today's Car boot finds.

I dident really want to go but one of my daughters pestered me to take her, thats the trouble with daughters its hard to say no !! :)

Really hot and massive and tons of junk there and out of desperation I picked up this Sekonda stop watch and a broken Swiss army knife for the grand sum of £4 so they dident break the bank.

Any idea what age the knife is ? a shame the blade was snapped off but like I said, desperation buys.

https://leaf-vics.com/usefull-materi...-scale-crosses

1966-2008 stamp, so quite the range! The exact tools and other markings should narrow it down further.

That can opener style was used 1975 onwards.

Perhaps it's the Major?

https://www.smartknives.com/Wenger-P...ives/Major.htm
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 13th June 2021 at 19:37.

@billycasper is an expert on Victorinox knives. I suggest a PM to him or maybe add Victorinox to the thread title.

I’m pretty sure the blade can be replaced if you want to go down that rabbit hole. You know, the one where a £2 pen knife costs you £50 to restore :).

Nice, I didn’t go out today, far too hot.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    @billycasper is an expert on Victorinox knives. I suggest a PM to him or maybe add Victorinox to the thread title.

I’m pretty sure the blade can be replaced if you want to go down that rabbit hole. You know, the one where a £2 pen knife costs you £50 to restore :).
    He is indeed. This one's a Wenger rather than Vic though, but he does still likely know the dates

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    https://leaf-vics.com/usefull-materi...-scale-crosses

1966-2008 stamp, so quite the range! The exact tools and other markings should narrow it down further.

That can opener style was used 1975 onwards.

Perhaps it's the Major?

https://www.smartknives.com/Wenger-P...ives/Major.htm
    Thanks all and yes it does look like the Major has you say.

ps: I don't think I will head down the rabbit hole :)

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    He is indeed. This one's a Wenger rather than Vic though, but he does still likely know the dates
    Shows how much I know.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    @billycasper is an expert on Victorinox knives.
    Go help me if Mrs Casper saw that accolade!

Value in good knick? $30-$60?

Victorinox took over Wenger some years ago and still make an 85mm range based on a Wenger pattern.

You could:

1. Contact Burton McCall in Leicester. Burton McCall is Victorinox's customer service representative, they might:
    1.1 Replace it free of charge (the Victorinox shop in Bond Street replaced a knife for me free of charge)
    1.2 Repair it for a small charge (Burton McCall repaired one for me for about £10 including postage to and from Switzerland)
    1.3 Say that it can't be repaired. Standard Victorinoxs are a 91mm pattern, so they might not repair Wengers anymore due to lack of parts.

2. Buy a donor knife with a decent blade and repair it
    2.1 Keep an eye out for a donor at another car boot
    2.2 Swiss army knives can be picked up on Ebay if you know someone in the USA or Europe who can buy as your proxy. There's a seller Italy who has some Wengers for around €10 plus €5 post.
    2.3 To repair it:
    a) Prise off the scales
    b) Drill and then punch out the pivots using a Dremel, drill press or firm, steady hand
    c) Take apart, but taking photographs of the layers so that the right tools go with the right springs and liners on reassembly
    d) Buy a piece of brass rod on Ebay, I think 2.5mm for all Wenger pivots
    e) Make a jig in a block of wood drilling just over 2.5mm holes to match the hole positions in a liner
    f) Reassemble
    h) Trim the new brass pivots
    i) Peen the ends of the new brass pivots
    j) Snap the scales back on or stick on with two part epoxy

Lots of YouTube videos, but mostly Victorinox and there are differences between the two brands around how the scales are attached.

Et voila, a restored Swiss Army Knife. If I can do it, anybody can do it. A few hours fun in the shed and much amusement and eye rolling for friends and family.

If any of that is not for you and you want a useable penknife, for swaps I have a couple of new Waiters (One branded ISC, one Aitor) and a used Victorinox Spartan.

Thanks Billy that was very informative, many years ago when I was in the engineering trade I did quite a lot of work with Burton McCall and they are not a million miles away from where I live so I might nip it in to them, one never knows.

If no joy then I will donate it to you if you want it.

Thanks.

I didn't go yesterday, Went last week and found a book for a couple of quid, Was advised tpo look it up on Amazaon- Cheapest copy was £231

I bought eight 8" squeeze clamps for a pound each!

Also got a small pocket scope and an LCD watch that was totally dead (Still is) but the box it came in was nice!!

I seem to do well on Facey marketplace!

Bought this set of EPNS Kings pattern cutlery for £20!!, It looked like it had never been used but just left to oxydise, Two hours polishing and a couple of good washes (To get rid of metal polish) and it's good as new again!!

I also bought a rough looking Zeiss Dekarem Q1 10x50 binocular that's totally excellent to look through for a tenner!!

John

Johnbaz
    That’s a carboot and half haul you got there. Well done

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Go help me if Mrs Casper saw that accolade!

Value in good knick? $30-$60?

Victorinox took over Wenger some years ago and still make an 85mm range based on a Wenger pattern.

You could:

1. Contact Burton McCall in Leicester. Burton McCall is Victorinox's customer service representative, they might:

1.1 Replace it free of charge (the Victorinox shop in Bond Street replaced a knife for me free of charge)
    1.2 Repair it for a small charge (Burton McCall repaired one for me for about £10 including postage to and from Switzerland)
    1.3 Say that it can't be repaired. Standard Victorinoxs are a 91mm pattern, so they might not repair Wengers anymore due to lack of parts.

2. Buy a donor knife with a decent blade and repair it
    2.1 Keep an eye out for a donor at another car boot
    2.2 Swiss army knives can be picked up on Ebay if you know someone in the USA or Europe who can buy as your proxy. There's a seller Italy who has some Wengers for around €10 plus €5 post.
    2.3 To repair it:
    a) Prise off the scales
    b) Drill and then punch out the pivots using a Dremel, drill press or firm, steady hand
    c) Take apart, but taking photographs of the layers so that the right tools go with the right springs and liners on reassembly
    d) Buy a piece of brass rod on Ebay, I think 2.5mm for all Wenger pivots
    e) Make a jig in a block of wood drilling just over 2.5mm holes to match the hole positions in a liner
    f) Reassemble
    h) Trim the new brass pivots
    i) Peen the ends of the new brass pivots
    j) Snap the scales back on or stick on with two part epoxy

Lots of YouTube videos, but mostly Victorinox and there are differences between the two brands around how the scales are attached.

Et voila, a restored Swiss Army Knife. If I can do it, anybody can do it. A few hours fun in the shed and much amusement and eye rolling for friends and family.

If any of that is not for you and you want a useable penknife, for swaps I have a couple of new Waiters (One branded ISC, one Aitor) and a used Victorinox Spartan.
    I finally got round to dropping the knife off at Burton McCall today, they said I could be charged about £10 for the repair, good deal.

They told me that about 300 a year are sent to Switzerland for repair.

I received my Wengar classic 23 back today from Burton McCall, it could not be repaired as the home country no longer has the required spares.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    I received my Wengar classic 23 back today from Burton McCall, it could not be repaired as the home country no longer has the required spares.
    Sorry to hear that. Victorinox did absorb Wenger about 20 years ago, so I guess spares have run out.

Victorinox does make a range based around the old Wenger models. I think it's the Victorinox Evolution 23 in your case, but it's about £50.

If on your visits to car boots, you do find an old cheap Wenger with a good blade, it might be worth snapping it up as a donor for a repair. It's not too difficult. I could do it, although I haven't done it for a while and am not a skilled craftsman. Still, I've put a few together and they seem okay.