closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Do you get the feeling time is slipping by? are you obsessed with time?

Blog Entries

Do you get the feeling time is slipping by? are you obsessed with time?

This article is interesting (with some hints):

https://exploringyourmind.com/chrono...ion-with-time/

Thoughts?
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Blog Entries
    It's an age thing, I think. ;-)

I find it rather scary than an average life is around 30,000 days.

Tick-tock!

Defo passes quicker the older one gets!
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    I listened to a very interesting podcast a while back that posited (don't think I've used posited before and now that's twice...) that our perception of time is skewed by the rate at which we lay down new memories.

Our years seemed longer when we were young as we had lots of new experiences in the time - we'd not done those things before. As we get older, we tend to repeat the same things over and don't have significant new experiences - so the years feel like they are are going by quicker.

But because we're doing fewer new things the days feel longer.

Longer days, shorter years, as we wait for death's warm embrace...

Aaanyway, I ordered 3 watch straps tonight and that's something I've never done in one night before so my life is stretching out!

Master
    One of the reasons I never entertain dry January or sober October
    Precious little time left to be arsing about not having wine or a beer.

https://youtu.be/nFxjnUPRwx4

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

The 'trick' is to keep having new experiences or at least have the freedom to mix things up, the capability, freedom, to be spontaneous so you're not repeating routines, I think.
    Yup only 30,000 days life on average, conventionally only around 5,500 to 6,000 days of retirement, enjoy as many as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    One of the reasons I never entertain dry January or sober October
    Ludicrous concepts the pair of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Yep. A year at 20 is 5% of your life but when you’re 40 it’s 2.5% of your life.

Each year we live goes by quicker than the year before as it’s a smaller percentage of the time we’ve been alive.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Yep. A year at 20 is 5% of your life but when you’re 40 it’s 2.5% of your life.

Each year we live goes by quicker than the year before as it’s a smaller percentage of the time we’ve been alive.
    Both of my Grandfathers died at 46 years of age and I never met either of them.

My Father died at 53 and my brother went at 28.

I am now 73 and as I have passed the biblical age of three score years and ten I reckon I have done OK.

My wife suffered a stroke 15 months ago and it's tough on her but she is slowly getting better and we are soon off for a 12 week spell in Spain which she is really looking forward too.

I suppose the conclusion is, don't worry about how long you live, just worry about the quality of it.

Also if you believe in heaven or similar, then all you are doing is passing from one place to another, so it's nothing to worry about.

Master
    I’m just about 49.

I’ve seen most of the planet . I’ve raised two children . I’ve loved and been loved by multiple beautiful women. I’ve been granted respect by my peers . I’ve trained up about 200 people across the world and seen at least a few if them to become better practitioners than I am . I ended up doing what I chose .

I’ve made and lost at least 1.5 fortunes ( working on keeping number 2) .

Every single thing that has ever been an obstacle to me I have fought and eventually conquered . I have many more things I want to do .

I have no health conditions . I live in luxury even kings and queens from a century ago could scarcely imagine . I can literally pick and chose what I want to eat and drink from across the globe and it will be available to me wuthin 20 mins , my experience of life us little different than even the wealthiest billionaire .

I can reach out and talk to and even see people almost anywhere on the planet with a toy that fits in my pocket .

I have an army of trained medical staff available with billions of high tec equipment at my disposal if I fall ill or injure myself .

I will never go hungry or cold or be unable to find clean water to drink.

I can travel to most pkaces on the pkanet within 48hrs for the price of a few days work.

I’ve had more life threatening situations where I thought I was a goner than I can honestly remember.

If I die tomorrow I’ve lived a life that people 2 generations earlier could scarcely imagine . Biologically we are designed to last about 30 years in the wild .

The remainder is pure gravy . And single malt and the occasional cohiba . What’s to worry about?

Master
    Yours is an interesting and entertaining description.

The vast majority of us however spend an entire life chasing that which we seldom have time to enjoy and will most probably go into our graves chasing.

The more we have the more we want, it just seems endless.

If we are not doing it for ourselves we're doing it for the future of our children or some other justifiable reason in our minds that allows us to continue on the ferret wheel of life, going around and around until the little legs can run no more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    I’m just about 49.

I’ve seen most of the planet . I’ve raised two children . I’ve loved and been loved by multiple beautiful women. I’ve been granted respect by my peers . I’ve trained up about 200 people across the world and seen at least a few if them to become better practitioners than I am . I ended up doing what I chose .

Every single thing that has ever been an obstacle to me I have fought and eventually conquered . I have many more things I want to do .

I have no health conditions . I live in luxury even kings and queens from a century ago could scarcely imagine . I can literally pick and chose what I want to eat and drink from across the globe and it will be available to me wuthin 20 mins , my experience of life us little different than even the wealthiest billionaire .

I can reach out and talk to and even see people almost anywhere on the planet with a toy that fits in my pocket .

I have an army of trained medical staff available with billions of high tec equipment at my disposal if I fall ill or injure myself .

I can travel to most pkaces on the pkanet within 48hrs for the price of a few days work.

I’ve had more life threatening situations where I thought I was a goner than I can honestly remember.

If I die tomorrow I’ve lived a life that people 2 generations earlier could scarcely imagine . Biologically we are designed to last about 30 years in the wild .

The remainder is pure gravy . And single malt and the occasional cohiba . What’s to worry about?

The past is history, the future a mystery, but the present that's a gift.

Grand Master
    I’m just about 49.

Spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RIAC

Blog Entries
    Live each day like it is your last (and don’t forget to put away the washing up).
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

In my younger years I often heard those older than me say that life goes by faster the more advanced in years you get, I thought it tosh though now I'm less than 12 months away from my 50th I don't think I've ever heard such truer words spoken. I'll be honest here and state that to know the chances are I'm very much into the back half of my life scares me.

It's not something I dwell on and I try to live my best life. I've had experiences not enjoyed by others and know that others are to come. I've good friends, a roof over my head, food on the table and live in what I consider to be a safe society - all privileges others may long for.

The sun is out today. I'm going out for a drive in maybe 10mins from now and I'll do so with a smile on my face.

What surprises me are those Google photos that say, 'This time 10yrs ago', and you think, 😳😳"What"!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m just about 49.

Sounds like a life well lived

One bit of advice that is very true is that the more you put yourself about the more opportunities will present themselves to you and the more likely you are to have an interesting life.

Life does move quick, when I hear music on the radio from the 90's it feels like yesterday I was partying myself into the early hours - not 25+ years ago..

Craftsman
    I really struggle to comprehend the fact I’m approaching 50. I still have the mindset of someone in there 30s . Where have the years gone..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Linc View Post
    I really struggle to comprehend the fact I’m approaching 50. I still have the mindset of someone in there 30s . Where have the years gone..

If you had the mindset of someone in their 30s you would not be here. Evidently the most common generation/sex groups for involving oneself in fora is men in their fifties.

Quote Originally Posted by Linc View Post

I have a 16 year old brain trapped in a 64 year old body.
    F.T.F.A.

I actually find myself willing time to pass faster. I'm in a tricky bit of life due to circumstances for the next 5 years or so therefore I just have the mindset of 'hang in there it'll be better after 50' and hope I get there faster. I'm definitely not enjoying life now although i have a ton of things going for me when I'm older

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I actually find myself willing time to pass faster. I'm in a tricky bit of life due to circumstances for the next 5 years or so therefore I just have the mindset of 'hang in there it'll be better after 50' and hope I get there faster. I'm definitely not enjoying life now although i have a ton of things going for me when I'm older
    Don't wish your life away.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I have a 16 year old brain trapped in a 64 year old body.
    Know how you feel Bob!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

It doesn't matter how dark things may seem, there are always reasons to smile and opportunities to help others in crappy situations. You have a ton of things going for you right now, and more, you just need to look from the right angle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_reframing
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Think about how quick the last five years are gone. Time flies. Then think about how quick time flies and how old your son is. You’ll want it a lot slower after that.

You just need to admit micro brands aren’t your thing and go buy a big ceramic Rolex ;)

When you are eight, one year is 12.5% of your life. At 50, it's only 2%.

Just remember?

The one thing you cant buy..

Thats time itself..

Dont wish it away. Its over so fast anyway, thats without thinking about it/worrying about it or wishing it away!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Think about how quick the last five years are gone. Time flies. Then think about how quick time flies and how old your son is. You’ll want it a lot slower after that.

You just need to admit micro brands aren’t your thing and go buy a big ceramic Rolex ;)
    Last 5 years work got more stressful and boring, my mum got progressively more Ill over a year and me and my wife were caring for her as well as working full time then died, then covid these last five years seemed the longest of my life and not in a good way

I lost my Dad last April and he always used to say to me how much faster time went as he got older.

I’m 51 now and genuinely can’t believe how much faster time seems to be passing, my son is almost 24 and now works for / with me, a qualified professional. It seems no time at all since my own Dad and me were at the hospital marvelling at this new generation, all three of us loved, laughed and lost together, hopefully I will be around for a good while to come and see my childrens own children grow up and do the same (if they have any).

I totally agree with the sentiment of don’t wish time away, if anything I’d like to be able to slow it down, my kids grew up before me in the blink of an eye and I think I could have made more of it at the time, my parents passed away and I didn’t see it coming. It’s the same for all of us I know but to those who have all of this still to come, make the most of it.

I think I’m probably 23 but I’m not sure about the old fella who looks back at me in the mirror?

Master
    I’m glad I retired at 53

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    I’m glad I retired at 53
    September 1st 1975, I reported to Durham County Fire Brigade HQ as a boy aged 18yrs 3months for my 15 week recruits course. Next day we were told all the stuff, including "you will pay in to the Fire Brigades pension scheme, 11% of your pay every week until you retire". Coming from £9.50 per week as a National Savings clerical assistant to £28 per week I didn't ever notice the cost. I was also told that I must be a member of the FBU (Fire Brigades Union), which came in handy many years later when, untrained for the role and acting up a rank to cover for staff shortages, I took delivery of 2000 litres of DERV and had it put into the petrol tank containing 1500 litres of petrol, another story which I will tell later.

I'm glad I was able to retire at 50.
    F.T.F.A.

I'm glad I was able to retire at 50.
    Amen Bob.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I'm nearly 50 and this thread really strikes home. It's a subject that close friends have raised in conversation too. Sometimes in a melancholy way but also in a "bloody hell, we survived and life is pretty damn good" kind of way too. I guess that is sort of being thankful. And yes we do live like kings compared to all of history and most of the world.

I'd agree with the post saying that laying down new memories is a way to make life seem richer. I know people who have quit their stale jobs in teaching or accountancy to retrain as radiographers or landscape gardeners and I certainly see the appeal.

I won't though because I'm not taking the pay cut!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Ludicrous concepts the pair of them!
    Surely, though, if you've never done them, the experience would make your life seem fuller

I did Dry January this year, just for the hell of it really, and it was an interesting experience to go 31 days with having a drink.

Not one I'll make a habit of, but why not?

If people seriously can't cope without alcohol though (not suggesting anyone here is in that boat), they really should think about getting help.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I aim to work full time until I am 73 and then do voluntary things after that.

Im 62 and I love my work - it energises me and keeps me young.

I dont smoke or drink and do 50 push ups as soon as I get out of bed each morning. My partner is 13 years my junior and acts younger than their years. We both are pretty evenly matched re physical activity and interests.

I refuse to get old in the conventional sense.
    Last edited by Velorum; 22nd March 2022 at 18:06.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Surely, though, if you've never done them, the experience would make your life seem fuller

I did Dry January this year, just for the hell of it really, and it was an interesting experience to go 31 days with having a drink.

Not one I'll make a habit of, but why not?

If people seriously can't cope without alcohol though (not suggesting anyone here is in that boat), they really should think about getting help.

M
    It was just a light joke, still ludicrous concepts though ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    It was just a light joke, still ludicrous concepts though ;)
    I know, but it does raise an issue for some.

No more ludicrous than running a marathon dressed as a Rhino, though :)

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I know, but it does raise an issue for some.

No more ludicrous than running a marathon dressed as a Rhino, though :)

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Indeed, I was being flippant. Alcoholism, it's a dreadfull thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I aim to work full time until I am 73 and then do voluntary things after that.

Im 62 and I love my work - it energises me and keeps me young.

I dont smoke or drink and do 50 push ups as soon as I get out of bed each morning. My partner is 13 years my junior and acts younger than their years. We both are pretty evenly matched re physical activity and interests.

I refuse to get old in the conventional sense.
    You just won "Euphemism of the Month" for March Ian.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    My social circle is slowly getting older and nearly all of them are retired.

Number one regret that they have is not retiring earlier.

I remember as a kid being advised, 'don't get old boy', this I think was by folks who were in their 60's and 70's.

You just won "Euphemism of the Month" for March Ian.
    Well he did say his partner was 13 years his junior Bob.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

Craftsman
    My health has taken a few knocks recently and I suddenly realised I had probably already lived 3/4 of My life. This scared Me.Most of My family have made it to 80ish I expect if I’m lucky I may be the same.

Master
    My wife is still recovering from a stroke and she is improving but there is still a long way to go. She does depend on me for quite a few things and being 3 years her senior it worries both of us as to what would happen if I pegged out before her. How would she cope without going into a home is the main worry.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Whole lotta wisdom there, especially on the sunscreen

Great song. Listen to it often.