closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Do we have any shooters here.

Just received a box of Black Hills Honeybadger rounds for my home defense Ruger LC380ca. Rather than a "hollow point," it features a sculpted copper bullet of only 60 grains that travels at about 1100 ft/sec and creates a huge and deep wound channel. I got lucky finding a box, because almost everyone is sold out until September.

Different ammo pictured below:

Is yours a high crime area?

Not a judgement, a genuine question.

Someone (British) I know moved to the US and ended up with a crack den next door and someone in their house one night and zero police response.

They became very keen on owning guns for self defence after that, which I can understand, but I imagine most people don't have such first hand experience to motivate them.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Just received a box of Black Hills Honeybadger rounds for my home defense Ruger LC380ca. Rather than a "hollow point," it features a sculpted copper bullet of only 60 grains that travels at about 1100 ft/sec and creates a huge and deep wound channel. I got lucky finding a box, because almost everyone is sold out until September.
    I am really struggling to get my head around this buddy - not being judgemental BTW.

That this is even a 'thing' in a domestic environment AND there is supply shortage.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master

Different ammo pictured below:
    Very nice. Can't wait for travel restrictions to end so we can organise 'foreign' trips and shoot proper guns again. Your ammo drought has impacted on us in UK. I shoot .22rimfire comps and my favorite ammo is CCI Mini Mag which has become unobtanium. There is CCI Blaser but it is so greasy and fouls up the action.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Is yours a high crime area?

Not a judgement, a genuine question.

Someone (British) I know moved to the US and ended up with a crack den next door and someone in their house one night and zero police response.

They became very keen on owning guns for self defence after that, which I can understand, but I imagine most people don't have such first hand experience to motivate them.

M
    Murders in the U.S. are up 50-60% (I think) this YTD vs. 2020. With the Insurrection of January 6th, citizens are getting a bit more paranoid about violence that could directly affect them. In my suburban community there were three "home invasions" within a few months by different perpetrators (a few years ago), where the residents were bound and assaulted. That's when I bought this little .380 Ruger.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    I am really struggling to get my head around this buddy - not being judgemental BTW.

That this is even a 'thing' in a domestic environment AND there is supply shortage.
    I hear ya, Chris. There are people all over the country who own dozens, even hundreds, of guns, including assault rifles, RPGs, etc. Some have stockpiled over 100,000 rounds of ammunition!!! Things are still "OK" right now, but could get out of control if these ideological crazies get their minds weaponized.

Me...I own two 20-round boxes of ammo for my .380. God help me if I ever need more than that!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

They look hard core, would be interesting to see the wound/travel using these!
    I use Barnes ttsx here for reloading, they are getting scarce due to your shortage.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    They look hard core, would be interesting to see the wound/travel using these!
    I use Barnes ttsx here for reloading, they are getting scarce due to your shortage.
    I couldn't find any gel ballistics photos for the Honeybadger .380, but there are quite a few pics for the more popular 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP.

Murders in the U.S. are up 50-60% (I think) this YTD vs. 2020. With the Insurrection of January 6th, citizens are getting a bit more paranoid about violence that could directly affect them. In my suburban community there were three "home invasions" within a few months by different perpetrators (a few years ago), where the residents were bound and assaulted. That's when I bought this little .380 Ruger.
    I'm not a gun fancier over here but TBH if I lived in the US I'd certainly have something for home defence. At least you can be on equal terms with home invaders!

My middle son lives in Fla and he has settled right in.

Cheers,
    Neil.

I've always had an interest in guns, have shot some on trips to the States and done a little clay pigeon shooting in the past, but never owned a firearm (or even a shotgun) here.

I guess my interest is more academic (I'm a big fan of the Forgotten Weapons YT channel).

While I think the ban on handguns in the UK is rather draconian, I am incredibly thankful that I don't live in a country where rational people feel the need to carry a gun regularly to protect themselves!

I hope it never comes to that, here...

M

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I've always had an interest in guns, have shot some on trips to the States and done a little clay pigeon shooting in the past, but never owned a firearm (or even a shotgun) here.

I guess my interest is more academic (I'm a big fan of the Forgotten Weapons YT channel).

While I think the ban on handguns in the UK is rather draconian, I am incredibly thankful that I don't live in a country where rational people feel the need to carry a gun regularly to protect themselves!

I hope it never comes to that, here...

M
    Frankly, I envy you Brits and your ban on firearms. But with our history in the U.S. of the "Wild West," and now the NRA, we will NEVER achieve your level of "Draconian" civilization!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I'm not a gun fancier over here but TBH if I lived in the US I'd certainly have something for home defence. At least you can be on equal terms with home invaders!

My middle son lives in Fla and he has settled right in.

Ya-hoo!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Found it PC

https://youtu.be/xytXlgGNdKw

Shows the ballistics of the rounds.

I am very happy to live in a country with (relatively) sensible firearms laws, and I don’t own any guns (but have been clay pigeon shooting a few times).

But…if I lived in the US I’d definitely be armed. From my limited experience of shooting over there I’d have some sort of 0.45” 1911 pistol - I’d take that over a Glock every time!

PS. And probably an AR-15 too. And a Mustang GT350. And a big cowboy hat. Shame they can’t brew beer properly over there!

Found it PC

https://youtu.be/xytXlgGNdKw

Shows the ballistics of the rounds.
    Thanks! Even the little .380 will get the job done.

Crikey Pacific, who you expecting to intrude your house?
    They look like they'd stop Arnie terminator T1000

Fair dinkum, serious bit of kit.

I hope you never have to fire one off, be safe buddy

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nickyboyo View Post
    Crikey Pacific, who you expecting to intrude your house?
    They look like they'd stop Arnie terminator T1000

Fair dinkum, serious bit of kit.

I hope you never have to fire one off, be safe buddy

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk
    Thanks, Nicky!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    But…if I lived in the US I’d definitely be armed. From my limited experience of shooting over there I’d have some sort of 0.45” 1911 pistol - I’d take that over a Glock every time!
    !
    If you want a pistol for defence, you buy the Glock. It will absolutely go bang. That’s all that matters

Accurate, not so much, but I’d rather have something mildly accurate go bang that something very accurate go click

Just purchased my 1st air rifle last week, and yesterday joined a local club, Mendip Shooting Ground, near Wells, Somerset. Seemed like a lot of friendly guys and girls there so looking forward to learning and improving, although the on-site shop could see my wallet getting dented in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Steve View Post
    Just purchased my 1st air rifle last week, and yesterday joined a local club, Mendip Shooting Ground, near Wells, Somerset. Seemed like a lot of friendly guys and girls there so looking forward to learning and improving, although the on-site shop could see my wallet getting dented in the future.

What is that "suppressor" like thing at the end of the barrel? Without a gunpowder explosion, the air compressor hardly makes any noise.

What is that "suppressor" like thing at the end of the barrel? Without a gunpowder explosion, the air compressor hardly makes any noise.
    A PCP air rifle without a moderator on it is louder than my .22 rimfire, it makes a huge loud noise

With a decent moderator fitted you can barely hear the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by geordie View Post
    A PCP air rifle without a moderator on it is louder than my .22 rimfire, it makes a huge loud noise

With a decent moderator fitted you can barely hear the shot.
    By what percentage does it lower the muzzle velocity?

I am very happy to live in a country with (relatively) sensible firearms laws, and I don’t own any guns (but have been clay pigeon shooting a few times).

PS. And probably an AR-15 too. And a Mustang GT350. And a big cowboy hat.
    And a Banjo?

Shame they can’t brew beer properly over there!
    Actually, they can, but most of the public seem to prefer to drink watered-down urine for some reason...

I used to visit Portland regularly and there are micro-breweries galore in that city alone!

M

By what percentage does it lower the muzzle velocity?
    Zero

Master
    I lived in The US for almost 5 years. I drank great beer and didn’t own a gun. Go figure. However I do regret not taking the opportunity to go to a firing range.

Master
    I've just spent anbhour or so with my Weirhauch 97k. First time I've shot it in a year but still perfectly true without any sighting adjustment needed. Got to be the best spring under lever jobbies out there.

Quote Originally Posted by geordie View Post
    Zero
    Is that really possible?

Is that really possible?
    Of course it is.

You may be thinking of old-style 'silencers' for firearms that shot through a lot of cotton/wadding. A modern airgun silencer is just a tube with a series of baffles that disperse the air behind the pellet. There's no physical barrier to the projectile so why would it affect the velocity?

I've personally chronographed rifles with and without a moderator fitted and there's absolutely no difference in velocity.

Master
    Modern suppressors can actually increase a bullet's velocity as it essentially extends the barrel, giving a cartridge's expanding gasses more time to push the bullet before exiting the muzzle. Not much can be done to eliminate bullets going supersonic which can be a loud crack.
    I used to have a ratty old air rifle that was great to utilise the 'Dieseling' effect where you put a quantity of machine oil behind the pellet. When the oil was compressed it added oomph to the pellet and made it go supersonic and as loud as a rimfire. Didn't do the air rifle much good however.

Blog Entries
    Not sure if this is the correct place to post. But found an old air-pistol metal "Webley Tempest" air pistol while clearing house - https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/air-pi...10821151634888
    looks like this. It's not in such good shape as that one (bottom of the grip looks like it was used as a mallet - but no heavy dents!)

Any idea how I can go about selling this legally in UK - maybe to a local shop perhaps - I haven't got any pellets to test it. Not used to handling firearms of any sort so any advise welcomed.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 25th August 2021 at 14:08.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Picked this up recently...177 lovely rifle.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Not sure if this is the correct place to post. But found an old air-pistol metal "Webley Tempest" air pistol while clearing house - https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/air-pi...10821151634888
    looks like this. It's not in such good shape as that one (bottom of the grip looks like it was used as a mallet - but no heavy dents!)

Any idea how I can go about selling this legally in UK - maybe to a local shop perhaps - I haven't got any pellets to test it. Not used to handling firearms of any sort so any advise welcomed.
    Put it on Sales Corner here.

Plenty of air weapons have been sold here over the years.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Put it on Sales Corner here.

Plenty of air weapons have been sold here over the years.
    what postal service can be used - some probit firearms etc - or are air pistols ok?
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

what postal service can be used - some probit firearms etc - or are air pistols ok?
    Standard Air pistols will ok with Royal Mail.

Master
    RM or Parcelforce

Craftsman
    Just picked up this cracker, FX Dreamtac.
    Looking forward to getting back into the hobby.

Sent from my M2002J9G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gee252 View Post
    Just picked up this cracker, FX Dreamtac.
    Looking forward to getting back into the hobby.

Sent from my M2002J9G using Tapatalk
    I recently picked up a MK3 Impact...superb rifles.

My father decided it's about time to have a bit of a clear out and gave me this to look after - a nice little Feinwerkbau Model 90:

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    My father decided it's about time to have a bit of a clear out and gave me this to look after - a nice little Feinwerkbau Model 90:

Oh my,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Do we have any shooters here.

I had the first new arrival in a while last week
    Not had a chance to try it yet.
    It’s the full fat version in .44 magnum

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Image1635341456.011253.jpgI do like a lever gun

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Nice, do prefer a blued example but this was going super cheap from a mate so it was hard to turn down.
    Might be a few weeks before I can get out to try it though.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Nice, do prefer a blued example but this was going super cheap from a mate so it was hard to turn down.
    Might be a few weeks before I can get out to try it though.
    They are all hard to turn down 😂👍

Blog Entries

Nice.

.38/.357 AE?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman

Dad and I go out for a blatt sometimes, he’s just bought this for a laugh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    It was a choice between this and the AGT Vixen, both superb rifles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Steve View Post
    I recently picked up a MK3 Impact...superb rifles.

Craftsman
    That is a lovely mint pistol
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Pennywise View Post

Dad and I go out for a blatt sometimes, he’s just bought this for a laugh

.308?

Craftsman

Do we have any shooters here.

.308?
    6.5mm creedmoor

Last edited by Pennywise; 27th October 2021 at 22:03.

6.5mm

That’s becoming more and more common.
    Flatter shooting than .308
    Not tried one yet but would likely be a bit easier to shoot over 300-600 meters (all being relative)
    Supposedly less affected by wind as well.
    Likely to be the next NATO caliber.

Craftsman
    That’s becoming more and more common.
    Flatter shooting than .308
    Not tried one yet but would likely be a bit easier to shoot over 300-600 meters (all being relative)
    Supposedly less affected by wind as well.
    Likely to be the next NATO caliber.
    It does shoot very very flat, he’s getting some great consistency and results at 1000yrds I think he said. It does look like it’s started to gain a bit more popularity over here.

It does shoot very very flat, he’s getting some great consistency and results at 1000yrds I think he said. It does look like it’s started to gain a bit more popularity over here.

Good to hear
    Stickledown?