closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ming Dive watch launching 7 August

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Thanks LTF - not gonna argue on looks, the concept above will not be to everyone’s taste (nor mine if I’m honest). Hoping for the actual release to be better looking, less toy like and more mature design in line with the newer Ming 27.01.

There’s been a few comments on this not considered being a dive watch. Are the visual markers on the bezel not adequate enough to replace numbers - I’d have thought visual is more intuitive? I’d also want to see as a minimum 5 minute markers on the dial (maybe minutes too but don’t think as critical?). Bezel action we cannot judge until we handle. But otherwise what is missing for it to be considered a dive watch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well, I guess you can produce a watch with good WR, a rotating bezel and a "legible" dial and call it a dive watch; that doesn't make it fit for purpose, though, and on this one I'd suggest that it's a classic case of form over function. I don't think lack of detail on the dial and bezel markings that look pretty confusing to me (and would no doubt be more so underwater) will attract the diving community in their droves, but then again I guess time will tell when the production model is released. To suggest that this is a dive watch, though, just seems self-indulgent to me.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    a classic case of form over function..... To suggest that this is a dive watch, though, just seems self-indulgent to me.
    Functionality is for the little people, perhaps?

Given that the previous diver-inflected dress watch was an LE of just 10 pieces, it seems unlikely that any of them will actually have been worn for more than a few minutes on the day they arrived (if that) so its uselessness is almost beside the point.

If Ming are prepared to spend their time producing collectable LEs, they've no real reason to worry about day-in day-out wearability. Maybe, once they've had their fill, they'll sell the brand to a company more interested in exploiting the carefully-earned reputation in a broader market. Then boring, mundane, tedious details like minute markers and seconds hands might put in an appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Functionality is for the little people, perhaps?

Given that the previous diver-inflected dress watch was an LE of just 10 pieces, it seems unlikely that any of them will actually have been worn for more than a few minutes on the day they arrived (if that) so its uselessness is almost beside the point.

If Ming are prepared to spend their time producing collectable LEs, they've no real reason to worry about day-in day-out wearability. Maybe, once they've had their fill, they'll sell the brand to a company more interested in exploiting the carefully-earned reputation in a broader market. Then boring, mundane, tedious details like minute markers and seconds hands might put in an appearance.
    I appreciate that I'm vertically challenged but that was quite uncalled-for

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Well, I guess you can produce a watch with good WR, a rotating bezel and a "legible" dial and call it a dive watch; that doesn't make it fit for purpose, though, and on this one I'd suggest that it's a classic case of form over function. I don't think lack of detail on the dial and bezel markings that look pretty confusing to me (and would no doubt be more so underwater) will attract the diving community in their droves, but then again I guess time will tell when the production model is released. To suggest that this is a dive watch, though, just seems self-indulgent to me.
    Agree with all the above. For a genuine dive watch, it's far too stylised (if indeed the final version looks like the images) and a chunk of the functionality to be expected has been sacrificed on the altar of the Ming aesthetic. Some of his stuff is tremendous but this misses the mark imo.

Master
    Can't see what all the excitement is about with Ming watches. I think they've all been horrible so far, including this one.

Craftsman
    I really like it, especially on the bracelet. I dn't dive so can't say I'm overly concerned about the practicalities of it.

Brave and different interpretation, sadly not for me (bluff, old traditionalist).
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........