closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Joker (2019) film

Blog Entries

Joker (2019) film

This looks promising . Has an element of Falling down from the trailer. It also looks like a character study instead of a super hero film

https://youtu.be/t433PEQGErc

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Heath Ledger was the best Jocker. But this looks promising indeed.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    That looks very interesting....not a trace of 'cartoon' transformation,rather a descent into madness.

Maybe we will get a really good DC movie instead of the continual near misses?

He’s a bloody good actor, our Wakeen.

Looks interesting, not like that crap recent Marilyn Manson-type one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Heath Ledger wasn't fit to kiss Jack Nicholson's spats.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    I humbly disagree. Ledger did a superb job as Nolan’s Joker. Of course Nicholson is Hollywood royalty and his Joker was tremendous in so many ways.. but credit where it’s due for Ledger.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    I humbly disagree. Ledger did a superb job as Nolan’s Joker. Of course Nicholson is Hollywood royalty and his Joker was tremendous in so many ways.. but credit where it’s due for Ledger.
    All the Jokers have been good - even Cesar Romero in the original Batman. Nicholson - classic Jack Nicholson but Ledger brought that danger element right out there. The grenade jacket, the burning of the money - all of it a crazed man. The new one looks great in a descent into madness. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this version

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Nonsense.

For me the best joker will always be Mark Hamill

Blog Entries
    Romero, ledger , Nicholson and hamill each brought there own distinct A- game to the role. Each there own stamp, fitting for the time they portrayed it. I disregard Jared Leto personally. I have faith in this film as a stand alone version of his origin.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by animalone View Post
    For me the best joker will always be Mark Hamill
    Agreed, people forget him in it because it was animated. He had the best voice in my opinion

"Oh batssyyy"

Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    Agreed, people forget him in it because it was animated. He had the best voice in my opinion

"Oh batssyyy"

Yes! The perfect voice over. The Animated Batman was simply OUTSTANDING!

This looks good. It's a different Joker to Ledger's. Ledger showed the pure anarchy, chaos and disregard - but it didn't have the madness. This new movie seems to focus on that, excellent!

Banned
    Another vote for Mark Hamill - there are fun videos of him reading Trump tweets in the Joker's voice up on Youtube.

I just want to make an honourable mention for Troy Baker.
    I know that it is essentially a copy Mark Hamill version, but he does it so well.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the new film though and what JP brings to the character.
    Last edited by animalone; 4th April 2019 at 22:49.

Blog Entries
    People forget as great a job as Heath ledger did, it essentially was or seemed uncannily like this guy -

https://youtu.be/1m5z3vxTd7U

Looking forward to this very much it sounds like the' Killing Joke' was a big influence. Ledger has been the best for me so far, although big Jack did steal the show in the earlier movie, I prefer the Nolan/Bale take on the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    I didn't see him wearing a Kilt in that film.

Master
    Hang on, so Mark Hamill was just the voice of Joker? How can that make him the best Joker if it’s just a voiceover?

Looking forward to seeing this,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Didn't even realise they were planning on doing a Joker movie, trailer looks amazing, JP looks like he was meant to play the Joker (as was HL)...

Looking forward to seeing this more than any other DC/Marvel film this year now...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Hang on, so Mark Hamill was just the voice of Joker? How can that make him the best Joker if it’s just a voiceover?
    Good point. Maybe the best vocal incarnation then.

Not feeling it, the joker doesn't need a back story, doesn't need a starter film, one of the big things is that there is no rhyme or reason as to why he is bonkers he just is

But that's just me

Optimistic about this, it does look good.

I couldn't stand Jack Nicholson's Joker, for me he was playing Jack Nicholson and not the Joker. Heath Ledger I can take or leave, but far too contrived, too many gimmicks and twitches for my liking, Jared Leto holy shit what were they thinking (but maybe he'll be an OK Morbius).

We haven't even had a good Batman film yet! (you could make a decent one if you spent a year in an editing suite with footage from Christopher Nolan, though).

Quote Originally Posted by jordan-arch View Post
    Not feeling it, the joker doesn't need a back story, doesn't need a starter film, one of the big things is that there is no rhyme or reason as to why he is bonkers he just is

But that's just me
    Quite true!

I must of watched this trailer 25 times now, can not wait....

Not sure that the world needs a film about a marginalised nobody taking violent revenge on a world doesn't understand him. I can't help thinking that some people are going to be drawn to this movie for the wrong reasons.

Seen the trailer, but really not sure about it. Will wait and see.

Have to admit I loved the Nolan films and Heath Ledger will always be the quintessential Joker to me.

Reviews are starting to stream in after debuting at Venice film festival. Seems a massive hit. I cannot wait to see it!!!!

One review - https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...oaquin-phoenix

Master
    Trailer looks fantastic.

OooooOoooo!!!!....another Marvel/DC offering....blurrrrrggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

NO excessive CGI ???......I'm SHOCKED

Seems to be heaps better than the usual dross Marvel/DC Superhero offerings

Colour me mildly interested.

Journeyman
    I can't wait to watch this....looks proper dark.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post

Avengers Endgame, biggest grossing movie on release ever. Clearly you are in the minority.

Avengers Endgame, biggest grossing movie on release ever. Clearly you are in the minority.
    As a fan of the Marvel movies (and paid to see Endgame and Infinity Wars), they were a tad disappointing and the overall approach to the Marvel movies has been a concern. Too formulaic and poor villains. Miss Marvel was also stale. I really hope Marvel up their game for the next phase.

THis does look good - been nothing on for ages that I fancy - so a definite booking for this.

Well as a treat from our Flight Ops Team for assisting in a an operation to rescue passengers stranded from the collapse of a charter company,a group of 6 of Us were invited to attend a screening of Todd Phillips's Movie there were other specially selected persons including around 10 competition winners,a couple of guys who forked out $50000 to beg to see the second screening(Yes the first one was for the studio head honchos)mind You Ours was the third.
    As a complete surprise before We entered the screening room all 30 of Us were handed a letter which we had to sign therefore all i am allowed to say is WOW!!!!!!!A very thought provoking movie both frightening and funny as well as disturbing in equal measures.This is the best thing Our flight ops team have ever organized.In the past I declined to visit the set of Harry Potter crap movie(Title escapes Me as its a yawn fest to Me),I was away flying for a visit to see a couple of concerts one of which was Take That(Thank God I was away),the only one I attended was Queens Of The Stone Age as Josh Homme personally invited Me and my Son and You don't say no to a 6ft 4inch Guy who looks like a bruiser!!!!Please go to the movie with an open mind and ignore every review even the good ones and post Your thoughts.

Clearly you are in the minority.
    Yep......Seen one, you've probably seen 'em all.

Recipe for Superhero film:

Take one (more than one if it's a fest) ordinary bloke with a love interest
    Mix in some fu*k off powers.
    Add a villain/alien/bad mofos
    Include a smidgeon of angst or guilt if your larder is out of angst.
    Stir in a few minor skirmishes...be generous
    Set cooker to drivel setting for first 45 mins, then increase power to mega CGI punch up for the last 15
    Remove from oven, superhero will have risen (99%) of time
    To impress diners, make sure Superheros are looking to the future...in a meaningful, thought provoking way

Wash, rinse, repeat.

But that's just me
    I am still of this train if thought, I am hearing lots of good things about it and I really would like it to be good. I assume it's like the Nolan Batman's and its own story.

He can be a very good actor and I really hope it's good, but also everything about it means I am not excited and it might just pass me by.

Really looking forward to it, apparently it's quite a thought provoking movie and not at all like your typical Marvel/DC product.

I'm looking forward to it as a stand-alone movie about a man with failed dreams descending into madness. A modern day Taxi Driver?

Reviews are largely positive but with a side-order of scathing....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49549633

Blog Entries
    Phoenix looks to be a great Joker. Surely he is not Ledger or anybody else mentioned here. If he were, they would call him a copy-cat! The strength is that he's able to play a person we all know in a way that's convincing! E.g., another example; Christian Bale is a guy capable of playing roles like that.

It's going to be crowded during the Oscars! Joker and Once upon a time... Difficult, I think.

Master
    Yep......Seen one, you've probably seen 'em all.

Recipe for Superhero film:

Take one (more than one if it's a fest) ordinary bloke with a love interest
    Mix in some fu*k off powers.
    Add a villain/alien/bad mofos
    Include a smidgeon of angst or guilt if your larder is out of angst.
    Stir in a few minor skirmishes...be generous
    Set cooker to drivel setting for first 45 mins, then increase power to mega CGI punch up for the last 15
    Remove from oven, superhero will have risen (99%) of time
    To impress diners, make sure Superheros are looking to the future...in a meaningful, thought provoking way

Wash, rinse, repeat.
    It’s not my opinion it’s fact. The movie still scores 8.6 on IMDb months after it was released.
    You don’t like them and that’s fine, it doesn’t make them shit though.

Blog Entries
    Let's not forget Ledger was not the main character in the Nolan version . He was a catalyst for the other Hollywood actors to play against (Bale,Freeman, Oldman, Eckhart) plus he was great and gave a full rounded performance that set a benchmark. The film did not rest on him alone .

Joaquin Phoenix is now carrying this film alone as a character study and that's some pretty big shoes to fill. He is not unlike Daniel Day Lewis in his method of approach from reading .

They already gave him a standing ovation for 8 minutes at the Venice film festival. That sounds promising.

Blog Entries
    I am still of this train if thought, I am hearing lots of good things about it and I really would like it to be good. I assume it's like the Nolan Batman's and its own story.

He can be a very good actor and I really hope it's good, but also everything about it means I am not excited and it might just pass me by.
    They alluded to anyway that Ledgers joker had a war veteran backstory , a father that slashed him . A multitude of possible reasons he became what he is which was him remembering it this way or that way . Jack Napier's story was set out to watch him fall in the acid to become Joker . All pretty developed and upfront about origin IMO . All's it took was a little 'push'

To me it's like this -
    1989 - drop him in acid
    2019- drop him in society .

Blog Entries
    Good observation! And perhaps (sadly) you're right with the 89/19 comparison - a metaphor for changing times.

M

It’s not my opinion it’s fact. The movie still scores 8.6 on IMDb months after it was released.
    You don’t like them and that’s fine, it doesn’t make them shit though.
    Where have I said they're shit?
    I'm saying they're all basically the same
    Similar plots and construction, mostly supported by CGI

Joker looks to be an excellent film in its own rite. Joaquin Phoenix is a rare gift of an actor and this is a role he was born to play (no disrespect to Heath Ledger).

Master

Your sarcasm suggests you think they are shit.

Sarcastic?

Moi?

Seriously, as long as it's not held together with CGI I'm in
    But I'm unconvinced as yet that it isn't just another same old, same old remash

Not quite- Marvel cheated. In an effort to beat Avatar they re released Endgame with additional footage. On it's original release it wasn't quite there as the biggest grossing movie.

Journeyman
    Looking forward to it , looks likely they will go down darker route , yet if possible if they could take it a whole step further and aim it strictly at adults , they could find a new audience as well as the comic hero fans who will watch regardless .