closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: the worst has happened

Craftsman

the worst has happened

I said it wouldnt happen, i said i was above all that, that i was happy within my reasonably priced watches price range, but since joining & seeing the friday watches each week, Ive fallen for the Rolex Explorer 39mm. its just so reserved, elegant and capable.

Ive done the homage thing and it doesnt work for me, but im also at a point where 6k on a watch is unrealistic.

1st world problems eh!

Thats it, pretty pointless post, just to say a scornful thanks to all who post up pics of their explorers!

My closest pal has just bought one and there’s no doubt it’s a fantastic watch - the dimensions, quality of materials, dial design, heritage and of course the movement. The only thing that doesn’t quite do it for me is the Mercedes hands. I wanted one for quite a while, although I’m over it now. If I was to put that much dough into a watch at this point, it would be the OP39.

The thing about wanting an Explorer but either not having the cash or being able to justify the outlay is, it’s qualities - black dial, do it all, understated sports watch with enough bling to dress up, are available in other watches. The Sarb033, Sinn 556A, Smiths Everest, Hamilton Khaki Field, Tudor Ranger and Tudor BlackBay41 all offer something similar at varying percentages of the Explorers quality and price.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    The thing about wanting an Explorer but either not having the cash or being able to justify the outlay is, it’s qualities - black dial, do it all, understated sports watch with enough bling to dress up, are available in other watches. The Sarb033, Sinn 556A, Smiths Everest, Hamilton Khaki Field, Tudor Ranger and Tudor BlackBay41 all offer something similar at varying percentages of the Explorers quality and price.
    They all do offer similar styling at various price points, but they are all to one degree or another an homage to the rolex, and im really done with obvious homages.
    I have a sarb033 and its lovely but it scratched a different itch.
    the Sinn 556 is very different to my eye.
    Ive handled the hamilton and id rather a seiko tbh.
    The everest is interesting but a clear homage.
    Of the tudors, i dont like the ranger & I really considered the BB for a while but cant get over the idea that it looks like a diver squashed into a field watch.

There are many more that share styling to the explorer, but its the only one to my mind that does what it does, as well as it can be done.

I can definitely think of worse things that this place could get you into; the Explorer is a cracker of a watch. It too, has grown on me, in the time I've been on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson_smyth View Post
    They all do offer similar styling at various price points, but they are all to one degree or another an homage to the rolex, and im really done with obvious homages.
    I have a sarb033 and its lovely but it scratched a different itch.
    the Sinn 556 is very different to my eye.
    Ive handled the hamilton and id rather a seiko tbh.
    The everest is interesting but a clear homage.
    Of the tudors, i dont like the ranger & I really considered the BB for a while but cant get over the idea that it looks like a diver squashed into a field watch.

There are many more that share styling to the explorer, but its the only one to my mind that does what it does, as well as it can be done.
    I wouldn’t say they were all homages to the Explorer whatsoever, with the exception of the Smiths. Rolex don’t own the blueprint on the black dialled do-it-all watch, it’s a pretty ubiquitous design; it’s similar to how people say that anything that is a dive watch with a bezel is in some way a tenuous homage of the Submariner. It’s nonsense. Just because a watch serves a similar function to another watch, doesn’t mean it’s a homage to it.

Craftsman
    Homage doesn't mean rolex owns that blueprint at all, homage simplest difinition means "respect paid to", in this case many of the aforementioned designs pay respect to the explorer design in their designs. They pay respect to and take queues from the explorer, making many a homage to some degree, even if it's relatively small in some cases.

E. G. Rolex Doesn't "own" the idea of putting all the design queues for a sub into one package, so companies like steinhart, scufra etc can make watches very heavily homaged to the rolex sub. But it's very clear Whwre their design language comes from, they are not the original to put all these elements in this package in this way.

I wouldn’t say they were all homages to the Explorer whatsoever, with the exception of the Smiths. Rolex don’t own the blueprint on the black dialled do-it-all watch, it’s a pretty ubiquitous design; it’s similar to how people say that anything that is a dive watch with a bezel is in some way a tenuous homage of the Submariner. It’s nonsense. Just because a watch serves a similar function to another watch, doesn’t mean it’s a homage to it.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Homage doesn't mean rolex owns that blueprint at all, homage simplest difinition means "respect paid to", in this case many of the aforementioned designs pay respect to the explorer design in their designs. They pay respect to and take queues from the explorer, making many a homage to some degree, even if it's relatively small in some cases.

E. G. Rolex Doesn't "own" the idea of putting all the design queues for a sub into one package, so companies like steinhart, scufra etc can make watches very heavily homaged to the rolex sub. But it's very clear Whwre their design language comes from, they are not the original to put all these elements in this package in this way.

Except, of course, the history of Swiss, or even British, watchmaking doesn’t support that claim. Leaving aside the military specification watches, of which most modern Smiths are far clearer homages, Fortis produced a familiar looking waterproof watch which was available in a variety of styles, including a black dialled heavily lured automatic 3 6 9 12 configuration watch a decade or so before the explorer. It was at the time a runaway success and hugely influential. So while you may not have heard of the Fortis Fortissimo, the people copying it at the time certainly had, including Mr Wilsdorf. The fact is that the Swiss industry has always had an eye on its competitors and copied shamelessly. As such, working out who copied who is usually pretty fruitless but rarely turns out well for Rolex.

Craftsman
    Had one and it really is an absolute stunner. Simple and understated elegance but sadly, the lack of date function really got to me after 2 years and I got rid of it

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Master
    The Explorer was my first Rolex and I'm on my fourth now (2016 updated version of the 214270). I've had the old version and a 114270 and this is my second 2016+ model.

I wasn't a fan before I bought the first one but, like you, it grew on me. To the point where it is on my short list of watches that won't be sold unless I absolutely have to. It is just a very well put together, quite understated and comfortable watch to wear. And the lume looks rather good as well!

Again, I would say if you’re going down the road of saying any black dial sporty dress watch is merely homaging or taking cues from the Explorer, then we might as well all give up. I don’t really like the notion that all horological roads must lead back to Rolex, that all others are just pretenders.

That just plays into the idea that Rolex wish to perpetuate - that they are the ultimate, most desirable, almost unattainable luxury brand that we must all aspire to. When the reality is there are lots of excellent watch companies making excellent watches in their own right.

Of course the Smiths, and Steinhart, and various others make direct homages and they have their place. But a watch is ultimately a small piece of jewellery that tells the time - it has to have a dial, hands and indices at the very least; as such designs are going to be ubiquitous.

Seiko was founded about 25 years before Rolex. Blancpain was making divers before the Sub landed. Hamilton were making field watches before the Explorer turned up. Rolex weren’t first, they’ve just been the best at positioning themselves at the top of the market.

The Sarb for example I’ve seen described as a great Explorer alternative, Seiko’s datejust, a value OP39. Which watch is it supposed to be homaging? Or can we not just accept that the black dial sporty dress watch is a popular classic and Seiko have as much right to produce one as Rolex. Saying that something is a good alternative to something doesn’t mean it’s directly copying it.

Incidentally, I’ve just bought a BB41, and my best mate recently got the 39mm Explorer. We’ve had a little compare and swap about. Both beautifully made and presented watches that serve the same functions. Of course, the BB doesn’t have the COSC movement (although it’s operating at a similar level of accuracy) or the white gold and Rolex proprietary steel. I’m not saying it’s the ‘equal’ of the Explorer, but it cost £3,500 less and it’s not that far off. But for me it’s a fantastic watch in its own right and it’s much easier to enjoy what you’ve got if you don’t fall into the trap of assuming every other watch is merely the poor man’s version of the Rolex [insert model]

👍
    Last edited by davidj54; 9th November 2019 at 09:45.

Less than half the price, certainly not a ‘poor-man’s’ and equally capable imho (and I’ve owned both). Might need to do a bit of hunting though.

Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    Less than half the price, certainly not a ‘poor-man’s’ and equally capable imho (and I’ve owned both). Might need to do a bit of hunting though.

Superb 👌

Blog Entries

I have had two Explorers and sold them on as much prefer my Railmaster. Personal choice obviously and the Explorer is a wonderful watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Ive fallen for the Rolex Explorer 39mm.

Ive done the homage thing and it doesnt work for me, but im also at a point where 6k on a watch is unrealistic.

Thats it, pretty pointless post, just to say a scornful thanks to all who post up pics of their explorers!
    Firstly sorry as I'm one of those who have posted an Explorer pic lol
    Secondly it's only £5k not £6k so much easier to justify

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Love the look of the Railmaster.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Love the look of the Railmaster.
    I would take that any day over the Explorer.

Craftsman

Like this!

My "explorers"
    6k on a (time only) watch is unrealistic for me too.

BUBI 0_0

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I would take that any day over the Explorer.
    I like the Explorer a lot, but I think the Railmaster in that model is a beauty. For pure style and simple form I think you're right.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master

Great watch - apart from the non-adjustable clasp. Which is why I went for the Explorer.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    Great watch - apart from the non-adjustable clasp. Which is why I went for the Explorer.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    The 39mm railmaster on bracelet is very beautiful. I need to get a look at one in the flesh.

Craftsman
    Wow, those railmaster's have taken a serious price increase, new they're just 1k less than an explorer, new of course.

Craftsman
    I think the Explorer the only Rolex with no variants...

very interesting background here, i'd never heard of the fortis fortissimo!

i have a modern explorer and it is lovely, but if i had to sell i think there are other contenders at a much better price point- prs-29, or the tudor black bay 36. but if your heart's set on the explorer, then nothing else is going to work for you in my experience.

Seiko was founded about 25 years before Rolex. Blancpain was making divers before the Sub landed. Hamilton were making field watches before the Explorer turned up. Rolex weren’t first, they’ve just been the best at positioning themselves at the top of the market.

this ^

its a great watch but not the pinnacle of wrist-bound horology.

is it over priced ? imho yes .

does my humble opinion really matter ?

like so many in this thread i to have the explorer 1 and love it, now here's the but in the market for another similar looking piece something like an air king love the green on the dial but the rail master has made me think twice .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny.h View Post
    like so many in this thread i to have the explorer 1 and love it, now here's the but in the market for another similar looking piece something like an air king love the green on the dial but the rail master has made me think twice .
    How about the Omega seamaster Golf?

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Wow, those railmaster's have taken a serious price increase, new they're just 1k less than an explorer, new of course.
    and with that in mind, I bought an Explorer earlier this year on the basis that I felt the Rolex would hold its value better. The Railmaster is a beautiful watch.

Have to say the Explorer works very well with a formal shirt during the week and a t-shirt, polo shirt or even a hoodie at the weekend.